What part of YOU are you working to improve?

Astaroth

[*screaming into the void intensifies*]
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
It varies a lot depending on my schedule, unfortunately.
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Psychological horror
Body horror
Supernatural
Giallo
Splatterpunk
Dark fantasy
Historical
Low fantasy
Magipunk
Weird West
Noir
Thriller
Gothic horror
Southern Gothic
Gaslamp fantasy
Cyberpunk
Space saga
Clockpunk
Space Western
Space opera
Paranormal
Modern fantasy
Dieselpunk
Post-Apocalyptic
Crime drama
Medieval fantasy
I'm kind of a pessimistic bastard, and since I suffer from depression as well as chronic illness, it can sometimes be really hard to stay positive. One thing I do to keep myself from slipping into a downward spiral is set personal goals--not things I can fail at and feel terrible about, but small and achievable ones. My current goal is to TALK TO NEW PEOPLE MORE OFTEN. A scary prospect for a cranky introvert with social anxiety.

But look! Just by making this thread, I'm putting myself in a position to meet that goal! The bar is low.

Other things I'm working on are productivity issues--doing at least one productive creative thing at my computer every day--and getting in shape, so I'm walking at least once a week.

What are you working on?

I'm also trying to be more sociable! :D One thing I have always noticed with myself is that I get along with new people just fine, but I have a hard time getting beyond that level of being 'acquaintances' while others may have considered me to be a friend already. So now I'm taking the risk of letting my guard down a little more and allow myself to enjoy new presences a little more. This mostly means being a little bolder, try to take the initiative to reach out, and hang out, the small gestures that I never really thought about before.

Going hand in hand with that is trying to enjoy life a little more. Take the little experiences and go out more. I try to live more in the moment than constantly worry about the future, which is something I have done plenty now.

blah blah blah make new friends blah blah blah stop being scared of strangers blah blah bad scurred diana huff

ASIDE FROM THAT

I am trying to build myself a new self-care schedule to adapt with my c h a n g i n g b o d y. Which is supposed to involve daily exercise and not eating so much pasta and that is like the hardest habit to build ever. >_>

I'm trying to take more initiative in talking to friends. I've always struggled with reaching out first, out of a paralyzing fear that I was bothering people just by existing and therefore had to wait until someone else made contact. I've known for a long time that that's not fair, and while I've been lucky in my life to have kind, caring, and patient friends, I know it's just as important to repay that kindness. That really sunk in when my best friend in the entire world told me how excited he was just to have someone reach out and ask him if he wanted to come take a walk (one, because it meant that I was doing well, and two, because almost no one in his life ever reached out to him first).

It's hard, because I haven't shaken that 'bothering others just for existing' bug, but I think it's a really important step to take. I care so much about other people, but no one can know that if I don't show it. Words can only mean so much.

There are a lot of other things I want to improve on, too, but my transition has taken up so much of my focus that it's hard to make that progress. I'm just trying to be gentle with myself and take things one day at a time. I'm going to continue focusing on 2019 on my transition; 2020 can be the year of Personal Growth and, like, actually focusing on my art and shit cuz you can't exactly be an artist if you don't make art now can you

I seem to be the odd duck in this group. I am such an extrovert. I am usually the one to speak first and people tend to be drafted into friendship, willing or not. That aside...

I'm feeling you about the chronic illness, though mine is probably more properly chronic pain. I've had to change a lot of things this past year and it's been a struggle. I now have a bladder pacemaker, which works amazing as long as I follow all the rules (No soda, no presweetened beverages of any kind, no juice, no citrus fruit and keeping the caffeine intake to a minimum). I'm finding the loss of fruit to be HARD to bear. But I am realizing that having a functional bladder is better than having OJ with breakfast.

Also, I've been dealing with arthritic on another level. It's settling into my back and feet, so my mobility is suffering. So, I found a workout for arthritic patients where you sit down, or lay down and move. It's helping a lot.

And ugh..the constant battle with food. I have decided to make salad a once a day meal, and that is making a big difference. Fortunately I love salad, so not such a bit sacrifice, but a good start to the goal of losing 2 pounds a month. @Astaroth Doable goals are the only kind worth setting. Might take me years to get the weight off, but it'll stay off. THAT is the goal.

So I've been thinking about this post...I know...I'm a weirdo. Anyone willing to help with a bit of accountability? Like...maybe poke my PM and say..how's that diet going?? I'd be willing to reciprocate if anyone else wants a bit of a nudge in the right direction now and again. Not nagging...maybe every few weeks or once a month?

Being social and trying to find new and better friends. It only took a near tragedy and years of feeling like the world's worst person for me to realize that it's the people that I associate with, not me, that has the problems. It's not nearly as easy as I thought it would be. Being an introvert, going out and talking to people is absolutely exhausting. I thought it would be better if I just cut everyone that's not family out of my life entirely and the more I think about it, the more it sounds like a good start.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore and Kuno
@Onyx really worded what issue I've been having best, but out of fear of looking lazy, I won't just quote their post and throw a giant THIS under it.

For me, I definitely have commitment issues. My parents have always had a toxic relationship, and witnessing that as a child really impressed upon me a fear of relationships. I grow close to others, but not too close. When you've been hurt, you never want to get hurt again, so the solution is to just throw up a giant wall towards anyone who tries to get to know you. It's not fair to my friends (or other people, for that matter) to keep viewing them in such a distrustful light. So my goal is to call my friends more, do more things for them and, I don't know...actually talk to them about my problems. Ya know, like what NORMAL friends do.

Also if I could stop getting those sugary vanilla chai drinks from Dunkin every damn morning. Diabetes is looming over my head...

Poet Lore: Omg diets are the hardest! I keep a food journal sometimes, for when I go see Variety care and have them check my sugar levels, etc. Just keeps track of all the things I eat during the day: snacks, meals etc. :) It might help. good luck!

Myself stuff.. x_X Everything. Especially employment. I cannot tolerate this much free time on my hands.. It makes me rage want to burn the world >:[

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
I like this thread.

Currently, I'm working to reduce my over-all sugar intake. I have a pretty good diet over all (lots of whole grains, good macro ratios), but I struggle with my sugar intake... mostly in fruits or little candies I like to munch on. I've been trying to slowly reduce the overall sugar a bit here and there, while still allowing me to enjoy a slice of cake at a work event or something. :)

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore and Kuno
Working on my writing. I'm not terrible, just always looking to improve. Been having a blast with it and it's improved my mood drastically. Being in a slump for so long needed a spark like writing again properly to get me out of it.

:cookie:

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
@Dipper You wouldn't ahve any way to know this since I've never mentioned it, but you are one of my favorite people here. You have a positive outlook and I've never seen you be anything but kind to everyone. So, naturally I felt the need to go read some of what you've written in like of your above comment. I thought you did brilliantly and I agree there's always room to improve, but bravo!! There's nothing like feeling your muse spark to life to make a smile tickle your lips all day long.

• Thank You
Reactions: Dipper
I want to do everything for everyone and I want to do it really good ok actually perfect. Working to improve it is... well, it has its here and its there. I managed to politely decline covering someone's shift because I really needed to prepare for a seminar last week, though!

strengthening my penis via dumbbell

Everything.

Well I can't seem to ever make up my mind.

Me leaving and coming back here for the third time is an example of this.

But like it goes so far as to simple things, like "what to eat for dinner" or "what should I watch?" I end up spending half an hour on that alone sometimes. Alot of the time I just kind of flip a coin, but they're not my own decisions.