What makes you wax nostalgic?

M

MurderDeathKill

Original poster
I just went and watched the first episode of FLCL. More than a decade after I watched the entire show the first time. Before that, I went and replayed Ninja Gaiden Black for the 10th time. I'm likely going to watch the rest of FLCL later this morning (I might even understand WTF is going on this time around!) and will probably then start up a game of Ninja Gaiden II, several years after I beat the game on Path of the Master Ninja and swore I would take a break from the game for a couple years. And after that? Another run through the Devil May Cry HD Collection because Fuck You Tameem!

Do you and a particular video game/anime/tv show/whatever go way back? Do you still keep in touch, or are they just friends with you on Facebook, now?

Um burns and allan and i are pretty tight. Maude not so much.

Pokemon is a pretty big nostalgia trigger for me. I played all the video games, watched all the episodes, and even played the TCG on weekends at the local Hastings or Toys R Us so I could get badges and promo cards. I collected so many cards that I had them organized in 3 binders. I ended up selling them, though. I needed the money more than I needed some cards collecting dust. Made me almost $300.

I wish I had my GBA SP or at least my Gamecube hooked up so I could play what games I have left. There are times when I miss spending hours catching and raising Pokemon to kick peoples' butts with. I stopped keeping up with Pokimanz after Ruby/Sapphire, though. It became too stupid for me to care about anything new anymore. >>;

Another would be classic Disney movies. I watched the shit out of Aladdin, Fantasia, Pocahontas, Lion King, etc. when I was little. I'll still watch them to relive those days and to keep the reasons why I love them fresh in my mind. In fact, just yesterday I watched Pocahontas and reminisced about when I had a crush on John Smith when I was a wee lass. xD (I tend to avoid Fox and the Hound, though. Not unless I feel like making myself cry...)

There are foods that make me nostalgic, too. Lucky Charms is one... I used to eat the boring pieces first and the marshmallows last; still do that sometimes. Pop Tarts: I eat the crust first, save the delicious frosted filling for last. I'm a weirdo. I don't eat these as often as I did as a child because at this age, I want to be healthier. But nothing stops me from getting a box of one of these once in a while. X3

Mt nostalgia triggers are the Land Before Time movies. Re-watching them now, I can't believe little-me could handle so much emotional trauma.

...Actually, a lot of movies I watched that were meant for kids were quite sad.

Super Smash Brothers was the very first multiplayer game me and my brother could play together. It had simple button mash controls, and didn't require my younger brother to read anything. Days were spent playing that game. And Mario Party, but that one was less fun with a 4 year old who couldn't read the rules.

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are big nostalgia triggers for me. I loved the art work and I especially loved the feel of the movies, especially in Spirited Away. The later movies from Miyazaki or Studio Ghlibi don't have as strong of a trigger, more than likely it's because of the art but I also think the atmosphere was different. If I'm having a writer's block or just feeling sluggish, I'll play one of those movies to get myself back into the creative mood.

Games: Zelda 64, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy Tactics, Anarchy Online, Chess

Movies/TV Shows: Ice Age (my partner's mom bought this for me! I lost my copy some time ago... been watching it and I still remember all the lines! XD), Looney Toons, Tom & Jerry, The Fifth Element

Places: A certain hotel in a certain city, HMNS, Memorial Park, shooting range

Subjects: Mathematics (certain fields), History (different time periods)

Items: Certain pieces of clothing, my pistol, my grandfather's take-down .22 rifle, a calculator or two, a pen set I've had since high school, my grandfather's watch

...that's just off the top of my head/things that stood out.

Oh boy. Me and old video games, especially Dune II and the original Rayman go way back, so back that I actually do not remember when did I play them for the very first time. I managed to salvage Dune II from my old hard drive, but unfortunately, Rayman continues to elude me and I cannot get my hands on it again, or at least it seems like. Dune II, though... I have not played that game in a while but it gives me a crazy sense of nostalgia, and now that I can actually understand what is going on in the game, it seems so much better.

I also have a place in my hometown that I used to visit a lot when I was young. I recently visited it again and I simply got overwhelmed by the nostalgia. It changed a bit from when I remembered it, but it was still the same, good old playground around the small heap that I visited so often. I have not visited that place since then, unfortunately, however, it certainly was a good idea of mine.

*invents time travel to go back into his childhood and relive those memories*

I actually recently just got a buncha stuff that makes me nostalgic. c:
The TV shows: Recess, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Cow and Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog..

I also like to play Majora's Mask, it is my favorite game though.
Or Pokemon.

And sometimes I watch Arthur.
Don't judge me. :c
Okay, you can judge me. c:

Games: Final Fantasy series, Tales series, Chrono series.

Books: Harry Potter series, Vampire Diaries series, The other Boleyn Girl, Trojan War and Odysseus.

Movies: Howl's moving castle, Practical Magic, Pitch Perfect, some others I can't think of right now.

Shows: Sailor Moon, My little pony, Criminal Minds, Merlin, Doctor Who.

So...maybe just a bit? XD

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4cXaB306F48" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

This was bedtime stories to me since before I could walk.

EDIT ALSO THIS! BECAUSE THIS!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PkRb8IXdUys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>