What lessons have you learned from your parents?

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
My parents weren't exactly great at being parents. They got married as teenagers and were still technically teenagers when I was born, so they were young and stupid and did a bunch of dumb shit that haunted me well into my adult years before I could unpack it and understand. Ò,Ó They weren't all bad though, and were still able to teach me important stuff even if some of it was from their bad example.

My dad did the usual dad things like showing me how to change a tire, and the oil in my car, and how to roll out of a grapple and break a kidnapper's thumb if they tried to grab me, but the lesson that stuck with me the most is that if you want something you have to take the initiative to work for it. Funnily enough the word initiative was a word of the week thing he was trying to do and I can't even remember if there WERE any other vocab words, because that particular lesson sticks out so much now. That one piece of advice has fueled everything I have ever done.

My mom is chock full of lessons (a lot of them rage inducing) but the thing that influenced me the most was to READ and use my imagination and actually think about the stuff I was reading. This carried over to when we watched TV and movies too. It wasn't just consumed and forgotten about. We'd talk about the characters and what happened and what was right and what was wrong, what might happen next in the story. Not only did I learn what kind of person I wanted to be, learned how to look deeper at situations and other people, and hell it influenced my creativity too. O,O

What are some lessons YOU have learned from your parents?

I learned a lot from my parents' mistakes. My mum has been a huge force in my life and I love her, but I spent a lot of time being the adult in our relationship. My dad is was nonexistent and later passed away, but that being said, I got a lot of good things out of both of them, as well. My love for cars and music came all from my dad. Little suits me better than being able to repair and modify my own car. It's helped me and my husband bond, too! We gave a project drift car between us that we work on together, so I am so grateful my dad gave me that passion and those skills while he was alive and present.

My mum, who has never been very good with money, was adamant I took accounting and money management courses when I was young. That has been hugely beneficial to me. I am well on my way to retiring very young and was responsible with credit when I hit adulthood, which I see a lot of my friends now drowning in debt from their stupid early twenty years. She also knew the importance of passions and allowed me to chase any dream I wanted. She scrounged to put together enough money for me to take riding lessons (I still ride horses and own them to this day!), write, read, whatever I wanted. She taught me to celebrate the things I love and make me uniquely me. My willingness to pursue a hobby without hesitation is all her, one hundred percent.

don't shove it in too fast or you'll fracture it

I love my mother, bless her truly, but that woman was late to her own wedding. I am now almost always at least 10 minutes early to everything I do.

My mom and dad got married very young, mom was 17 and dad was 21. They had good times and bad times but they were together until the day my mother died. 43 years. One thing I learned from my mother was that there are always things going on you don't know, so be kind. And what I learned from my father was that it's important to help whenever you can, because one day you may be the one in need. Both lessons have served me very well throughout life.