What lessons did your character(s) teach you?

Cinnamon

Edgenoble
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
I prefer sci-fi, comedy, a little fantasy, and some slice of life.
Aiden, my sentient doll, is strong-willed and compassionate, determined to stand up for himself and others. He'll do anything for anyone in neeg.
Playing him taught me to stick up for myself and others more and that I'm my own person.
What about you?

I'd say it is actually the progression of time and new characters that develop that have really made me relize just what my mentaility was like at each stage. I was a totally different person 12 years ago, and it reflected on my persona with each character.

I don't have any specifics since I have been roleplaying for a very long time. 🤔 But in general I have always used roleplay as a tool not just to tell fun stories, but also to help myself work through really hard situations or emotions. Like during times I was feeling suicidal, I would write a suicidal character and just play things out and see where it'd go. Roleplay lets me experience dangerous things without having to do them for real, and in the process I come out of it feeling better. <3

My characters have taught me that you probably shouldn't let the pretty girl with shark teeth into the house and that Werewolves are psychotic, yet lustful.

Also, you can get away with riots and coup de'tat's so long as you look good in a pair of glasses. :3

Interesting question! I think that something my characters reinforced more so than taught me is that people change. I mean, we all know people change on paper, but practicing that belief in real life is really, really, really hard, right? Especially if someone has wronged you in some way!

One of my oldest, and perhaps my favorite characters ever started as an arrogant and brash young man who thought he was on top of the world, and therefore can do anything he wants whenever he wants. As I wrote him over the years, he became involved in awesome and life changing stories that changed him and his world view. He matured and became less arrogant (albeit still confident), less brash, and realized that looking out for number one isn't the only thing in life.

He changed! And it was super duper awesome to realize that when I did! I only wish I still had every single written story that led to this change. But yeah, my characters taught me people change, they can change! (I mean I changed a lot over the 10+ years of writing with this character, haha).