What Languages do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only know one language....'MERICAN

English.

Spanish I never cared for, maybe because of my school, or maybe because I just don't wish to learn the language.

I am currently learning Polish because the last person in my family that has spoken Polish is my Grandfather. For some reason, he refuses to speak it and teach it to the family. The only thing I know is my Great-Great-Grandfather? (That or my Great-Great-Great) came over from Poland to America during the 1800's. It was taught down the line all the way to my Grandfather, but he refuses to teach it. I don't know the reason to it, but I'm sure he has his own reasons and I will learn it somewhere else. (<--Random thing about me. Sorry.)

I will be learning German after I learn Polish.

1st language, native speaker: Dutch/Flemish

2nd languages, non-native speaker: English, French, some German

Passive knowledge of: Italian, Spanish

I know English and Latin (though Latin takes me a bit to translate because I'm rusty >>) And then I know a very small amount of French, I've gotten to the point were I can sometimes follow my French Canadian's boyfriends conversations in a vague way when he talks to his family and Quebec friends.

I know English.

I have been slowly teaching myself Norwegian. Very slowly. But hey, I know some. :D

English is my native language. I also speak American Sign Language fluently, and as of the last few months I'm pretty sure baby talk has become a whole other language I've been speaking.

English is my native language. I also speak American Sign Language fluently, and as of the last few months I'm pretty sure baby talk has become a whole other language I've been speaking.
YES, A FELLOW SPEAKER OF ASL

Reactions: Hope
I used to be fluent in both Japanese and English but then moved to the states as a kid and forgot 95% of what I knew. Oddly enough when my mother is speaking to my grandparents on the phone I understand the context quite well even if I don't understand every word. My drunk self understand more Japanese than I do too so all of it must be somewhere still in my mind. I should relearn it one of these days.

I am trying (and probably failing) to learn Chichewa since I had some friends and their family go to Malawi for a mission trip and I hope to visit them one day with some knowledge of the language.

I never took a second language in school :( I really wish I'd been made to learn at least introductory French though; it's standard in Canadian high shcools (at least where I'm at) but I was homeschooled K-12. I remember being given some kind of language program but getting frustrated with it and for some reason that seemed to be the one topic mum didn't really monitor us on.

I'm teaching myself ASL though! It's making all these weird showerthoughts come up like

• holy shit, if I was deaf or had to use ASL for another reason, I'd wear an apron all the time so I'd always have pockets to put stuff in when my hands are full.
  • for people who use ASL, people who talk with their hands figuratively speaking (lots of waving around and gestures) must be really annoying.
  • ASL is a better candidate for a universal language than English; it's easier to learn and translates much better between cultures and countries (there's variations in different areas, but for the most part, you can try a synonym or the sign in another area is similar enough that people can guess)
my favourite part of learning ASL is coming up with sign nicknames for my friends. You don't typically finger-spell a person's name every time you use them, it's much more efficient to come up with a personalized sign to say their name quicker. For example, I have a professor whose name starts with T who has a habit of saying 'y'know?' a LOT. So his nickname is a 't' in the same motion you would use for the sign for 'to know'. My boss' name starts with a J so I do the 'J' sign like a salute etc.

• Love
Reactions: Midnight Maiden
German and English, first is my mother language second we learned in school like everybody in the entire world should.
Anything else not enough to call it "knowing"

• Tagalog. I'm a native Filipino speaker, so yeah, conversational level. Oddly enough, though...
  • English is something I write and speak more fluently (or gracefully). Maybe it was because my parents had tried to raise me as an English-speaker, which here is somehow related to academic prestige. Either way I was already reading classics by the time I was in Grade 4 and all books I've enjoyed are written in English. I consider it the language I'm most comfortable with, though of course day-to-day I still speak Tagalog.
  • I'm supposed to understand a decent level of Mandarin Chinese by now. Hell, I've practically studied the Chinese language (Hokkien, the Filipino variant, and Mandarin) as a mandatory subject since Grade 1. Unfortunately, I was a prick who didn't appreciate the perks of learning a language back then, and I'm only regretting it now. I'm stuck with the most basic phrases and some bits and pieces I can remember from my classes, and occasionally I think I can make a little sense of Mandarin when it's being spoken. Otherwise, though? I can't even read it lol.
I want to study some European languages, like Italian or German. Italian because I enjoy the lyrical quality to it and how it could roll off the tongue, it's really a pretty language. German because I don't know, I just like it.

As it's possible to take language courses in my university, I will get to study a language eventually. My parents and my peers are encouraging me to take Chinese or Korean.

English, and I like to put 'limited working proficiency' on job applications and LinkedIn. By that I mean I miiight be able to help a Spanish customer in a store. Last resort.

English is my first language, although six years of mandatory classes gave me a fundamental grasp of (Canadian) French. I'm familiar with some German/Estonian phrases because of my grandparents, but yeah, that's basically it. Kinda bleh.

First Language(s): Grew up speaking both English and Spanish
Others(Not fluent in them all): French, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese and Punjabi

Croatian obviusly, as my first langage, English fairly good, some smattering of Slovenian, Italian, Russian, Romanian and German, a few phrazes of Chinese, from my time there.

I'm a native English speaker and speak French fluently. Currently I'm learning Italian and hopefully I'll be fluent in a year to a year and a half.

I have some remnants of Spanish; at least enough has endured from high school that I can know if someone is talking bad about me or not.

I want to pick up German and Portuguese, but I simply don't have the time or desire to commit myself to learning more at the moment.

[/eurocentric]

Fluent in Norwegian, kinda fluent in English. Understands swedish, and some danish. Want to learn japanesse and sign language.

My boyfriend is fluent in three languages, almost fluent in a fourth, and knows a lot of words in different languages. I wish I learned as easy as him T_T

First Language(s): I can speak Assyrian conversationally. I can understand some Arabic, and can sorta speak it. I grew up with both, so sometimes they get mixed up in my head. I cannot read or write in either language, mostly because the characters can change depending on their placement within the word, which is a pain for me to learn.

Second Language: American English, obviously. I have lived in the States since I was 3 (born in Turkey, parents are Iraqi). I speak it better than I do Assyrian, though mostly due to a lack of practice of the latter.

English - fluent
Mandarin Chinese - fluent spoken, very limited reading/writing
Spanish - conversational

English.

I'm theoretically semi-fluent in Latin... but damn is it difficult. I can get the gist of most of what I read at least... Most of the time.
My professors seem to be very lenient with my grades.

I know English and Spanish fluently.

Learned French in school and hoping to learn Korean or Japanese, as well as their cultures. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.