What is your religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me what is known about ISIS? I keep hearing conflicting things on the subject. I mean other than the photographer/military man that died?

Can someone explain to me what is known about ISIS? I keep hearing conflicting things on the subject. I mean other than the photographer/military man that died?

ISIS A.K.A Islamic State of Iraq and Levant is a Sunni Jihadist group in the Middle East.They also known as Al-Qaeda in Iraq and was formed by a man named Abu Musab Al Zarqawi in 2004.About the beheading of the reporter,James Foley.I dont know what they are trying to achieve with it...But they sure does want a tons of freedom from United States thought...maybe they just want an attention or nothingless to warn the United State.They also said that they want to drown united state with blood and stuff....well..that all.I dont know what the actual story about it.

ISIS A.K.A Islamic State of Iraq and Levant is a Sunni Jihadist group in the Middle East.They also known as Al-Qaeda in Iraq and was formed by a man named Abu Musab Al Zarqawi in 2004.About the beheading of the reporter,James Foley.I dont know what they are trying to achieve with it...But they sure does want a tons of freedom from United States thought...maybe they just want an attention or nothingless to warn the United State.They also said that they want to drown united state with blood and stuff....well..that all.I dont know what the actual story about it.
Well I did enjoy the gif under your post so thanks xD I do know about Al-Qaeda but I didn't know it was the same

Apathetic agnostic. Is there a higher being watching over us? Multiple ones? I can't say for sure. Do I care? Not really.

ISIS (or IS, for Islamic State) is the new name for what was formerly known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Lavant. They're a Jihadist organisation of the Sunni denomination of Islam and self-proclaimed caliphate (meaning an Islamic-ruled state) that's generally considered a terrorist organisation by most Western nations. They're currently tearing up a considerable chunk of Iraq, control the city of Mosul, are extremely well-armed and manned by experienced fighters.

These chaps used to have ties to Al-Quaeda until early this year, when that organisations cut off ties to them for their excessively brutal tactics. That's how scary these cunts are.

In addition to the murder of photographer James Foley, they're into war crimes (apparently gunning down civilians is fun), forcing women and girls in their territory to undergo forced genital mutilation, fighting against Iraqi security forces as well as religious pogroms against the Kurds. These are not nice people, in short.

But we're diverting attention from Asmo's dream of having a thread about religion last more than threw pages without devolving into an insult fest.

So let's discuss how everyone but me is wrong.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ochalla
So yeah, it's basically a cult committed to drowning the United States in blood, beheading Christians and perpetuating holy war. Even Al-Qaeda thinks they're meanie-faces. And they're gaining ground.

Do we try to establish a dialogue? Or put them down like we did the Third Reich?

Is there no room in the world for this kind of religion?

So yeah, it's basically a cult committed to drowning the United States in blood, beheading Christians and perpetuating holy war. Even Al-Qaeda thinks they're meanie-faces. And they're gaining ground.

Do we try to establish a dialogue? Or put them down like we did the Third Reich?

Is there no room in the world for this kind of religion?

I don't think there is room in this world for ruthless murderers and bullies like that TBH. I don't think anyone who violently tortures others should be allowed. Also I really dislike the talk for WW3 because isn't that they want?

It's a bunch of dicks gathering psychopaths around the world. The only reason as to why nobody dropped a bomb over them yet it's because they have hostages and they're very spreaded

The problem with the Middle East; is that it's a powder keg that has been exploding for the better part of 1400 years. No amount of intervention by the West will change anything, it will only fuel the conflicts; I can say that because this has been the case historically ever since the first crusade, which now occurred about 900 years ago. Depositing all of the followers of Judaism into the region some 60 years ago was probably not that smart of an idea either; but then saying that, the Muslims have been killing one another and others for centuries(look up Shia/Sunni conflicts); so even if Israel didn't exist, the region would most likely still be wrought with conflict. Simply put; there's not much to be done about it but try and contain it's influence to within that conflicted region. Here in the UK it was recently discovered that primary school children (those aged between 4-11) were being taught Sharia Law and Islam as doctrine in some 'extremist' schools in Birmingham (look up Trojan Horse Scandal UK) and this influence has now been contained. Personally; I view indoctrination of children as abominable; I hold the view that they should learn about all viewpoints before being given the opportunity to choose for themselves.

But let's get back on topic.

I would be (I believe) what is classed as a Secular Atheist. Basically meaning that I don't hold any belief in deities of any kind; however I feel that religion and belief are personal concerns and that everyone is entitled to their own views; no one should interfere with the beliefs of others, be they State, Church, Caliphate, individual, whatever. Now I'm not saying I find the idea of God(s) to be implausible; but I both don't believe in them in the traditional sense of a (wo)man/(wo)men on a cloud/mountain in the sky, preferring to rationalise phenomena using science, or just simply ascribing them to nature. And that also; after having seen the negative effects religion has had on the world; I choose not to believe in any of it because I feel that what good does come of it does not outweigh the bad by any measure. (The amount of deaths religion has caused throughout history is staggering for example.)

Well; I've said my piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
So yeah, it's basically a cult committed to drowning the United States in blood, beheading Christians and perpetuating holy war.

Now now, Asmo, let's be fair here. They're giving Christians in their territory the option of leaving, paying a fee for believing in the wrong denomination of the Abrahamic religions, or being murdered horribly. They're not unreasonable.

Reactions: Reaper Jack
I'm frightened tbh I'm all done talking about this.
Bye thanks for chatting~

Last edited by a moderator:
But... doesn't religion help... to unravel the bafflement of the reality you see....? *squints at Unanun* For example, what about the idea that everyone is given what they need in order to learn a lesson? The physically disabled are here to learn to let others love them? The good-looking are here to learn the pitfalls of vanity? The intelligent are here to learn the dangers of procrastination? We live multiple lives in multiple bodies, and in each one are given the "build" by which our soul must be educated.
This is going to sound very clinical and perhaps banal, but the problem is none of your statements are falsifiable. It is some part of our psychology to find patterns in things (for example, we are very bad at distinguishing what is truly random data - http://norvig.com/experiment-design.html go to Warning Sign D7). But for every pattern you believe that you perceive, I could come up with another one that can fit the data and we would never be able to definitely show which one of us is correct.

In contrast, we can do that with a lot of other things, which is what empiricism / science does.

At the end of the day, perhaps we all grapple with existentialism, and early paganism that put a god in charge of everything from weather to luck to crops was necessary. But as we learn more about our world we need less of these 'bandaids' to fill in meanings. Maybe we are at the dangerous point in our understanding where all the low hanging fruit are being plucked, and we ask difficult questions with moral purposes like the examples you gave. One day though, neuroscience will give us a complete model of how our brain will work - and then where will your meanings hide?

As for ISIS, the sad root, I believe, of their fundamentalism is a lack of education. It opens your mind to dangerous poison like that, when we would all mostly dismiss their actions as irrational and barbaric.

One day though, neuroscience will give us a complete model of how our brain will work
That would be a terrible day. Every brain on earth being completely predictable, with no wiggle room for the soul?

:(

I still have that fear, as I'm sure others do. It's a place of terror that you circle every day. But I sometimes feel my fear has been manufactured. Do you think your fear is a product of the Scientific Age - an age that insists you believe only in the evidence of your senses and discount all else that can't be proven?
I don't really think so. I wouldn't really consider us in a time where it is insisted upon that we believe only in evidence, considering the amount of people who do not. I am a naturally curious person. I simply cannot blindly put my faith in something that has no real solid evidence. I was like this even as a young child, though clearly not at such a level where I would be experiencing some kind of existential crisis. I have always wanted to know 'why' and 'how.' If someone - or something - can't provide me with those answers, then I will always hold some kind of disbelief.

I like to believe in fairies and other mystical creatures. Do I believe for a fact that they exist, though? No. It's just a nice fancy to have. Same goes for religion. There's always a sense of unknowing, because no one has the answers that I need in order to feel a devoted faith. I definitely don't feel like this sort of desire for knowledge has been manufactured. I'm afraid of many, many things, all mostly because I don't know why or how. Unknowing is scary. That's about all there is to it, for me.

That would be a terrible day. Every brain on earth being completely predictable, with no wiggle room for the soul?

:(
Yeah ... I've talked about this a lot with my colleagues and most of us agree that there is no free will, just some sort of deterministic machine in our brain. One of my friends and I are in agreement that consciousness is just an illusion.

I'm A Catholic

And that's how you make a religion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.