What is your favourite quote?

S

Seiji

Original poster
Self-explanatory!

What is your favourite quote? Any special reason why?

Mine:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I like a lot of John Steinbeck quotes. A couple of my favorites.

"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts."

"In utter loneliness a writer tries to explain the inexplicable."

"It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it."

o__o I posted in a thread just like this yesterday on a different site. >_>

Anyway, here are mine: (I have more...but these three are my favorite favorites right now~ ;p )

"To fully understand the mountain, you must first be able to see through it."
~Words from a Martial Arts' sensai (Was never told his name. >> )

"I can give you the paint and the canvas, but what you paint on that canvas is your masterpiece."
-Kyoshi Clint DuPlechian, RyuHa Master

"If you sweep up this mess I've created, there's nothing left to show I existed."
~lyrics from Isaac Brock's "Satellite Skin"

"Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can." - Elyas Machera

"Don't take no guff from anyone." - Raoul Duke

These are the two I use most often. I like the messages they convey.

“Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is enlightenment.”

Lao Tzu

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”

Albert Einstein

"I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge - myth is more potent than history - dreams are more powerful than facts - hope always triumphs over experience - laughter is the cure for grief - love is stronger than death”

Robert Fulghum

Quite a few more but if I were to go further it would be a loooong post.

"Never start a fight. Always finish them."
-Unknown

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view—until you climb into his skin and walk around in itnever really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view—until you climb into his skin and walk around in it ."
-Atticus Finch

"Do not go gentle into that good night."
-Dylan Thomas

"Crime, once exposed, has refuge only in audacity."
-Tacitus

"You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded. Because the elements, the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars. And the only way they could get into your body is if the stars were kind enough to explode. So forget Jesus. The stars died so you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss

Interesting hour long lecture that will blow your freaking mind. I love this kind of stuff.

Don't forget Jesus; Jesus killed the stars. Retroactively. Kinda how like Chuck Norris blows up planes by pointing a finger and saying bang.

Just recently come across one I rather fancy.

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes

And a funnier one that I like that generally seems to be the truth.

"You know as much as I like to claim this is the result of me being a genious it's more that someone else is not."

-Ross Scott

No plan survives first contact with the enemy. - Helmuth von Moltke

I find it really is about life and plans in general. You need to make plans, but you have to make them so that you can adapt to the world around you.

"The thought you have now shapes your experience of the next moment. Practice shaping the moment." -Tom Barrett

Our perception of our lives impact our lives as much as the actual events.

Of course my current siggy is just amusing and very 'me'

"Language is the cheapest way of expressing identity." David Crystal's The Stories of English

Death to the murderers we've loved all our lives!
Destroyer, 'European Oils'
Of course, I have one aim, the grotesque. If I am not grotesque I am nothing.
Aubrey Beardsley
You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
Fydodor Dostoevsky, 'Crime and Punishment'

"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. It was really quite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticated, have always had trouble figuring out what really counts and what does not. As I wrote that farewell column to Marley, I realized it was all right there in front of us, if only we opened our eyes. Sometimes it took a dog with bad breath, worse manners, and pure intentions to help us see."
-- John Grogan

"Animal lovers are a special breed of humans, generous of spirit, full of empathy, perhaps a little prone to sentimentality, and with hearts as big as a cloudless sky"
--John Grogan

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
--George Carlin