What is your favorite Rp style?

N

noir

Original poster
Decided to give this a shot, mostly out of sheer curiosity. -grins-.

Personally I've always leaned towards the darker more gritty styles. V:tM, Dark Free Form, LKH, Drow and etc.

Just curious really. What style or etc is your favorite and why? =D

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Spekkun
I enjoy dark and gritty but at the same time I will always end up putting a comedic twist into things to help keep things bearable.

When I Roleplay it usually ends up being lighthearted overall with a few, or sometimes many dark and/or gritty moments in between :3 I generally love a lighthearted, slightly goofy (but not too goofy) tone :D Maximize the fun while allowing for some of those gritty, tearjerking, heartbreaking moments!

I like to find a nice in between. Dark moments interspersed with fun. Where's the fun in leaning too far either way?

:cookie:

I love RPs with a lot of drama. If my characters aren't suffering, I'm not having as much fun as I could be. .-. I try not to think about what that says about me.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Iceydaze and Applo
Anything but romances, unless I'm allowed to stomp hearts or if it is to make fun of it with wacky episodes.

I don't give much conscious thought to my style. This is a quick introspective so it might not be complete.

I feel like my writing style is serious with a dash of humor. I take special care to make my writing easy to read. That is my hashtag one priority. The "dash" of humor comes in the form of light-hearted commentary instead of outright jokes. When people read my writing, I generally want them to leave on an 'up' beat compared to when they started, even if the content is dark.

In terms of "dark" or "gritty" or etc., I think I tend to try and avoid writing in a "color palette". I feel like my delivery tends to be dry and factual - which is not for everybody. I don't depict things that are overly gross and I've only been criticized a few times for being "too spooky". You could say that I impart a certain amount of "grit" into my writing but I also tend to leave the less interesting elements to the imagination. As an example, I simply refuse to go into detail about how my characters end up shitting in the woods on long journeys or exactly what they do with the soap during a bath.

It is difficult for me to spontaneously generate a scene because I always have to ask myself what came before this instance.

Bam! There is a fight! This should be fun for my players. But WHY is there a fight...? Who is it between? What is their motivation? Etc.

My encounters as a GM tend to be tense and plot driven. I take care to ground the events to in-world reasons and there is generally always a way around the fight itself; not that I plan one out but I leave the possibility open for the players to find a way around it.

It can sometimes be frustrating to play with people who can be spontaneous. Sometimes it creates a cognitive disconnect that I find difficult to overcome. This is a failing on my part but one that I recognize. I stick to my strengths, although I do enjoy testing myself at times. Other times, however, I tend to get along well with creative people since I have a better time working with something that already exists instead of creating things from scratch.

I might have gotten off topic.

I am somewhat realistic with a focus on ease of reading and a dry but upbeat tone.

Last edited by a moderator: