What is your AU divergence point?

W

Wolfsbane706

Original poster
For those of you fond of doing fandom RPs, at what point in the universe's history do you decide to "diverge" from the storyline and create your AU?

You mean I have to choose? O: Some worlds have so many possibilities that there's a plethora of different points in time and ways you can do different AUs! You could do AUs forever!

Generally, though, I tend to do a full alternate reality where the canon story hasn't happened yet, and players will be filling those roles with OCs. But I also really like to do "done right" AUs where I rewrite things that I didn't like in canon. Or even just plain old "what if this happened instead of this" just... anywhere that sounds fun. 8D

Reactions: Wolfsbane706
I tend to do so immediately. For me sticking to canon is a headache so there's at least one thing "off" about my AU version in the beginning, and it grows from there. I made an AU Doctor Who RP blog after I had a dream about the events of Doomsday. My dream was about the Doctor, only his TARDIS was a different color. I decided to expand on it and over time made my own Doctor Who universe where things are similar but not quite the same. I did it for about 2 and a half years before burning out. It was fun while it lasted though. :3

I'm low key working on another AU verse, but I'm going to test run it with a writer I trust to see if I can even handle that amount of work again. lol

Change is immediate. I tend not to enjoy replaying something I have visually seen created in movies or writing. If it happens at all it's within the first few paragraphs and will definitely take a left turn otherwise it gets boring.

Reactions: Wolfsbane706
Depends on the character I am playing. If it's a character like Petra from AOT then I play as if she was not dead but appeared dead. If it's another character like Annie from AOT, I just skip to when she is out of the crystal like way way sooner. I don't play a lot of main characters, but it is usually a side character that I am interested in going after.