What Is This... Love?

Jesse's lips curved up at the laugh. This girl was entertaining, she couldn't deny that one. And very cute.

"Journalism, huh. That's an interesting field. I'm in Engineering, but my real love is drafting. Since the school doesn't have straight up drafting as a major, I'm in Engineering to get close enough," she explained. It sounded stupid when she said it out loud.

"Oh cool. You'd be really good at that." she grinned and looked at her watch. It was 10:45 and her next class was on the other end of campus. She really wanted to keep talking to Jesse, she was interesting, but she couldn't skip her film studies class; they had a test today. Damn. Oh well, it couldn't be helped.

"I have to go soon," she sighed and stood up, grabbing her bag. "It sucks. I really like talking to you," she paused and thought for a minute. "When's your last class, are you free this afternoon?"

Jesse thought about her schedule in her head. Since she skipped classic lit, her next class was at 12:30 and would run until 2... Then she had a class at 2:15...

"I'll be free by four. What about you, free then?"

Her own question surprised her.

"Actually, I'll probably be right back here then. You should hurry to class. We'll meet here, later on today. All right?"

What was wrong with her? Sure, the girl was... well, hot... But that didn't mean she had to go inviting her to join her places. Next thing she knew, she'd be asking her to dinner...

Jessica grinned. "All right, I'll meet you back here at four then. Ciao." she waved and turned away.

Walking to class, she couldn't get the stupid grin off her face. How long had it been since she'd been out somewhere with someone? Too long, she thought. All her high school friends that had gone on to collage or university were too busy to hang out with her most days and her friends that hadn't, her rich friends mostly, didn't want to hang out with her any more since the incident in her senior year.

She tried to keep her mind on her test, but her mind kept wandering to the bench in the courtyard and the, hot, interesting girl that had caught her attention.

Smiling gently, Jesse stood and walked off to go grab food to take to her next class. She wasn't about to starve herself, that just wasn't her thing. So she found a vending machine close to class and spent a bit of money to get a couple items and a bottle of Pepsi since there wasn't any Coke machines where she happened to be. She then went to class, ready to be bored out of her mind for the next four hours until she could meet up with Jessica again.

Jessica... The name brought a smile to her face as she sat down, earning some strange looks and some whispered conversations. But Jesse didn't mind. She was in her own world.

When her last class of the day let out, Jessica had to stop herself from running people over in her hurry to get outside. 'Relax,' she told herself. 'It's only 3:30 , you still have to wait another thirty minutes.' People stared at her as she rushed past; it was unusual to see her rushing anywhere, she normally took her time, knowing whatever it was would wait for her.

She snorted, 'Today is anything but normal.' She'd been so distracted in her classes it was a wonder she'd made it through them, even Writer's Craft, which had to be her absolute favorite. Sighing she dropped onto the bench and pulled out her DSi, intent to play Pokemon for the rest of the time she had to kill while waiting for Jesse

By 3:30 Jesse was looking at the clock every couple minutes. All she wanted was to get out of this class, but she still had fifteen minutes. Tap-tap-tapping her pencil against the desk, she couldn't pay attention to the rest of the lecture.

Come on... come on... She urged the clock.

Finally, after forever, the clock finally hit 3:45 and the teacher released the class. Jesse haphazardly threw all her things in her bag and hurried from the room as fast as the exiting students would allow her. It took only seven or eight minutes to cross to the bench, but she wanted to cut that in half.

When she got closer, she paused and took a deep breath.

Why am I so nervous?

Taking another deep breath, she calmly walked over to the bench.

"Hey."

Jessica's head snapped up and she grinned "Hi. " she quickly saved and flicked off her game. "How was class? I found class boring, I couldn't concentrate at all, my mind kept wandering back to-." She slapped a hand over her moth and groaned, blushing brightly. She did not just say that out loud. Geez, she really did lose her head when around Jesse.

"Anyway," she coughed, "how was class?" she asked again.

Trying not to smirk, Jesse held out a hand to help Jessica up.

"Class was decent. I can't stand the time they take though. I only had one class I wanted to be in today. Tomorrow is my fun day," she told her. "Anyway, I'm hungry and don't feel up to cafeteria food. Feel like going into town with me for a bite? My treat..."

She took the girl's offered hand and pulled herself up. "Uh, s-sure, why n-n-not?" Jessica stumbled out. Blushing slightly at he stutter, she continued, "That'd be wonderful." She made a face, "I don't much like the cafeteria food here, though it's not the worst I've ever had."

Still holding Jesse's hand, Jessica pulled her toward where her car was parked. "C'mon, if you're paying, I'll drive, just tell me where to go."

Jesse let herself be pulled towards the lot. She let her mouth curve into a smug smile, but then cleared her throat and the smile was gone. She looked around, trying to figure out what car was Jessica's.

"I thought we would just walk. There's a diner just up the street..." she said as they walked. "But, if you want to drive... There's a better place across town."

Jessica thought for a moment. "We can walk, I like walking. Just let me put my books in my car, and we can go." She walked up to her car, a bight purple 2005 Volkswagen bug and tossed her bag in the back. "You can put your bag in here too," she told Jesse, "that bag looks awfully heavy, I'd hate for you to have to carry that all over the place. It can't be good for your back."

Jesse stared at the car. The only thing she couldn't get past was the color. But for some reason, she thought it kind of fit Jessica.

"Nice ride," she said finally, letting her arm automatically take off her backpack to put in the car with Jessica's. "So, right. Walking it is."

Jesse smiled at Jessica and led her across the lot. It really was just a short walk, down the hill from the school and across two roads walking along the main one. Hearing herself go over the directions, she looked over at Jessica again, and checked out her shoes to see if they would work for the trek.

She was glad she wore her tennis shoes, as she had no idea how far they were going to walk and she hated walking in heels. Oh the blisters. "Thanks. I love it. My dad wanted to get me a porsche 991, but I had my heart set on this. Makes his eyes twitch every time he sees it," she giggled. "I don't know why he wanted to get me a fast car anyway, I don't really like them. My brothers on the other hand..." She rolled her eyes and decided to change the subject.

"What other classes do you have? You said tomorrow was your fun day?"

Jesse liked fast cars. Her eyes bugged at the idea of a Porsche but said nothing.

"I have my two fine arts classes tomorrow, and that's it. I usually spend the afternoon in town studying the buildings and designing what I think the insides look like on those days," she answered almost shyly.

"Oh, that's neat, sounds like a lot of fun. I tried to get into sketching, I liked the idea of designing thing, but I can't draw at all, so I went into writing. I can design things much better with words" Jessica smiled and chuckled a bit. "I'm kind of the odd one in the family, but we're all a little eccentric, so as long as I don't do anything illegal they leave me be. For the most part anyway."

"Words are a fascinating design tool," Jesse agreed with a grin, pushing thoughts of fast cars out of her mind.. "What makes you the odd ball? I don't see anything wrong with you." She looked Jessica over again.

"Hmm, I'm not exactly sure." Jessica tapped her chin, thinking. "I like parties and shopping as much as my socialite mother, but on the other hand I like video games and horror movies and anime and manga and things like that. I'm not exactly afraid to get dirty if I have to, though I'd rather not and I didn't want to go to Finishing School and become a trophy wife like my mom did. To my family and other rich "friends" that makes me the odd one out."

She flashed a grin at Jesse, "But I'm okay with that since I got to meet you instead. Who needs normal?"

Jesse stared at Jessica. She was quite the odd ball, then. Jesse never imagined that someone rich could be as simple as that. She supposed there were quite a few "socialite" habits that Jessica had. She had a grace unlike anyone else for one, and a commanding presence. But she enjoyed things like any other person. She was an individual, unlike most socialites.

"I think we'll get along grand then," Jesse said with a smile after thinking a little bit.

"Yay!" Jessica cried, throwing her arms around Jesse in a hug. Then her brain caught up with her. Blushing she let go. "Whoops." She chuckled nervously, "Sorry, I didn't mean to do that."

She smiled. She liked Jesse; something about the tomboy made her relax and be herself. She didn't care what other people thought about her and Jessica liked that in a person. It was refreshing after having to put up with shallow fake bimbos who only cared about money.

'Forgetting myself like that could be bad though,'
she thought, remembering what happened in her senor year with Chloe and the backlash that had followed.