What is the ideal pet? (Mammal Edition!)

Which of the following constitutes the ideal pet? Pick 3!

• Felines — Medium. (Lynxes, bobcats, caracals.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sciuromorphs — Beavers.

• Sciuromorphs — Other. (Marmots, gophers. Add Raccoons.)

• Caviomorphs — Purcupines.

• Caviomorphs — Other. (Chinchilla, naked mole-rat.)

• Hippos and Elephants.

• Primates — Monkeys.

• Primates — Other. (Lemurs, aye-ayes.)

• Xenarthrans — Anteaters.

• Xenarthrans — Armadillos.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmishire

Ghost with no home.
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
Online Availability
Late night PST
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Superpower'd, and some Sci-Fi.
Hello! I've seen many debates in the past about which pet is the best, from cats to dogs to ferrets to owls. As such, I decided it was time to settle this, once and for all!

Unfortunately, I found myself limited to thirty options. As such, I made the executive decision to analyze only the mammals—and furthermore, exclude some less likely options, such as many wild hoofed mammals. I did this out of necessity, not choice. I too adore many of the reptiles, birds, fish, and invertebrates we take into our homes.

In a similar vein, some taxinomic classifications were fudged.

You are allowed to select up to three options. (It should be hard-wired into the poll, at least.)

Hyenas are part of the Feloidea suborder, more closely related to cats than canines, FYI.

Hyenas are part of the Feloidea suborder, more closely related to cats than canines, FYI.
I am well aware. As I mentioned, many taxinomic classifications were fudged.

Some, because I needed to restrict the number of options. This is why Skunks were placed with Badgers.

Others were because I wanted animals of similar form—not nature—together. This is why Panthers include some Felines and Hyenas are listed amongst Canids. (Typically, I use Add to designate such an intrusion, but not always.)

Why does it say "morphs" under some of them? Are we choosing hybrids?

Why does it say "morphs" under some of them? Are we choosing hybrids?
Nah.

Those are taxonomic terms. Some I used genuses—like Felines. Others, families, super-families, and the like. They have odd Latin-based names.

I see no reptiles on the list. Your ignorance to all things cold blooded is shameful. You should go stand in a corner and hang your head. o.o

My dragon beats all!

Some, because I needed to restrict the number of options. This is why Skunks were placed with Badgers.

Except Badgers and Skunks are both mustelids. Could've stuck ferrets in that category too. :3

I see no reptiles on the list. Your ignorance to all things cold blooded is shameful. You should go stand in a corner and hang your head. o.o

My dragon beats all!
Well, I did say Mammal Edition!

If you would like, I could make a second poll for reptiles and amphibians. :D

Last edited:
My life would be uber complete with a sloth, a bear, and a bison. I'd train the bison to be my faithful steed and the bear would be my drinking buddy/ roving couch. I'd carry the sloth around on my back and name him Yoda.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
True, but reptiles are better than mammals!

Also, don't mind me. I missed the mammal part. Kind of hard to focus with low blood sugar. @_@

Except Badgers and Skunks are both mustelids. Could've stuck ferrets in that category too. :3
I was under the impression that recent genetic progress had split Skunks from the mustelid family, and that they are now their own distinct grouping. As for why I kept weasel-likes separate from badgers, that was due to the form-based decision-making. (Martels, of note, are far more closely related to my second category than the first, but I threw them in anyways like the little rebel I am.)

:D

Cat, because I've had one in my family my whole life.

Skunk, because my mom always says she'd love one as a pet. And I have to admit they are kind of cute.

Squirrel, because...squirrels could be cute if you can train them.

Cat, because I've had one in my family my whole life.

Skunk, because my mom always says she'd love one as a pet. And I have to admit they are kind of cute.

Squirrel, because...squirrels could be cute if you can train them.
My cat neko is adorable she is the guardian of my wheelchair
She keeps it outta harms way [and sleeps on it :/]

Reactions: Quiet One
I WON'T DERAIL THIS THREAD.

I am a dog person through and through. Love having them, love training and playing with them. They share a unique bond with the human race that I feel should not be overlooked, not saying it is mind you.

Reactions: Aine
Everyone knows ferrets make the worst pets.

Reactions: Cpt Toellner
I have made my decisions!

CANIDS: FOXES
zaGDQ.jpg

INSECTIVORES: HEDGEHOGS
hedgehog9_1399576339452_12904_ver1.0.jpg

CANIDS: DOGS
258067-dogs-husky-pup.jpg

FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET

FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET

FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET FERRET~

In all seriousness: I grew up with the following as pets.
--Two Gerbils (both died of old age, good introductory pets for kids).
--A hamster (given away: We were too impoverished to take care of him at the time. :<)
--Two cats (when I was very young, both feral, my mother was a wingbat for adopting them, and predictable, they both ran away).
--Two dogs (Taku and Sasha: A German Shepard crossed with unknown rescued from an abusive family, and an Akita-Rottweiler cross also rescued, though from the pound. Taku saved my life, twice. Loyal dog, passed away due to a tumor. Sasha was dumb as a brick but lovable. Passed away from old age, though we had to put both of them down. They were too stubborn about living...)
--Two birds (Teake and Aaron. Cockatiels.)

My birds used to sing a lot.

Taku, saved my life. Loved that dog, more than most of my family.
Sasha, see that face? It used to get ten times cuter when she was begging for food from the table. :rotfl:

Gerbils are good intro pets, hamsters are just fucking fat stupid balls of lard (don't even bother), cats are okay if you like isolationist pets, my dogs were great though with any dog you need to give them attention and a backyard so they're not good for apartment dwellers, and my birds were loud. I loved them but they were loud all the time. Do not acquire one if you live in an apartment or like peace and quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.