What is the greatest evil?

Which of these three is the greatest evil in your eyes?

• Murder

• Rape

• Slavery

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brovo

Ferret Dad
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Afternoons and evenings, some weekends.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Douche
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Post Apocalypse, Horror, Romance, Survival...
According to your subjective views. This is a curious thought exercise, so please don't write "all of them are the worst." Try to pick one. If you can't, that's okay too, and you can explain why, but my goal here is to try and figure out what people think of as the "unthinkable evil" type thing.

As for why: I was thinking about future villains in Legend of Renalta and was thinking about villainous qualities, but I wasn't sure what most people would consider the biggest evil out of these three choices specifically.

As always, please don't bully each other. Just say what you think. I wasn't sure if it would even be okay to ask this because I shudder to think of the potential debates that could erupt about the nature of evil, so keep it civil. Keep it professional.

If we're asking this regards to level of pain?

Slavery > Rape >= Murder

Slavery lasts a last time usually. And if even if we were to go by the temporary slavery from history it's still several years at least, far longer than Rape. And as a Slave you have no rights, so multiple rapes could easily happen during it. There's a reason human trafficking, false modelling agencies etc. are such a problem. At least with one rape you get to return to your own life afterwards, with Slavery escape is minimal. Then in regards to Murder? That's fully dependent on the pain involved, if it's a quick death it's below rape cause you're unlikely to feel anything, if it has pain involved? Then it becomes complicated in regards to how much the individual hates pain opposed to rape and to what degree? However, while the murder eventually gives a release while a rape has the person live with it (and there's nothing saying the rape can't also be very painful due to a sadistic rapists) I need to put Rape as more vile.

Then we can get into how the pain in extends to loved one's as well, however I more judge that by the loved ones pain correlating to the pain of the person being inflicted. Like you'll feel a bit bad for your friend if they suffered a break up, but at lot worse if they just lost a parent. So that all would also apply to my above paragraph.

However, if we're asking in regards to how can one recover?

Murder > Slavery > Rape

Murder is game over, there's nothing you can do. Slavery you have a long time of psychological conditioning to fight through, and constant work to re-adapt to all aspects of a free and fair society. Rape also requires some help, but for one specific instance, and something that was (hopefully) brief enough you know even if just deep down it was the actions of one (or a group of) sick individual(s) and not a system that allowed someone to actually own you. So unless if we're comparing the most sadistic of rapes against the most mild of slavery the freed slave is going to have a bigger battle in recovery.

-----------------------

And to weigh in on this "Rape Fetish" deal, which I'm not attaching to the above because I don't think it actually relates to how evil an act is.

One needs to realize there's two different kinds of fetish's here. The vastly more common one of having a fetish for it, as long as it's acted it and actually consensual. Any resisting is simply acted out, and stuff like safe words are put in place. This is actually a group I belong to, and a misunderstanding here that people usually have is "Fetish for rape = Going to rape". No that's not the case, just like how someone can have a big fetish in say bondage, but that doesn't mean they're just going to bond up a random person regardless of what they want. Consent is still of the highest priority. Not sure if I'm wording this well, but basically the fetish in regards to the setting, but only if it's been consented beforehand. Actual rape is just as stigmatized.

Then there's the much more rare instance of a fetish over actually raping/being raped. The former I never ran into any specific cases of, but that being said they're usually arrested in court for committing the act as it is, so if it's a fetish or just some struggle for power is a bit irrelevant to the courts, and the newspapers don't often care for showing what the cause was for the criminal. The latter I've only ran into two cases, one being through pure word of mouth that apparently a friend of a friend purposely puts themselves in dangerous situations because they don't get turned on by sex unless if there's some danger involved. The other case was from a Reddit Thread where a girl had been raped, and as a self-defence mechanism began fantasizing her own rape experience.

Now, the reason I don't think these relate to how vile the act is? Because if it's the former and the people are actually consenting? Then the 'rape' is just an act and not actually happening so it doesn't make any sense to vilify it. If it's a kink of the victims, the rapists likely has no idea, and if he does it's still violating one's consent and freedom of their own body. While if it's the rapists kink, sorry but you're still responsible for your own actions, you don't get any leeway here.

Practically every point made here is something I can agree with, which just makes it even harder to pick only one of these acts as the worst. Now, I've had no personal or second or even third hand experience of any of these things, for which I count myself very lucky. (which is probably a sad state of affairs in and of itself) So, all of the following is nothing more than conjecture and opinion, obviously. And there are a huge number of variables that have to be taken into account when trying to decide which of these things is the utter worst, when we are all aware that any of them isn't awesome, at all...

In the end, however, I went with slavery. Because it can readily include both rape and murder without repercussions, which is a pretty big deal as far as laws go, but also because it goes above both by effectively ending the slave's life while still leaving them alive. And even if they are liberated and do win free and recover, they still have to live with the knowledge that their life was taken from them, that someone had all that power over them and that they allowed it by being unable to stop it, and others who could, didn't. If they win free through the abolishment of slavery, I don't know, maybe it would be easier, but if they win free and slavery is still a thing, then they'd also have to be afraid of it happening again.

I still have a little bit of trouble with this argument just because I know that a lot of rape outside of slavery can go unpunished and that people being afraid to speak up about it means that having laws against it or not doesn't change the stigma. And the victim would likely be afraid of it happening again and would take a great deal of time and effort to recover, and the recovery process might include feeling capable of living their life the way they want to again. It could go so far as to be internalized as a I am less than they are feeling, which is certainly not pleasant especially after having been traumatized.

And murder just straight up ends everything. But as that's the case, I find it more bothersome by way of the life that's been stolen, as well as the lives it affects beyond the person who died.

Beyond the effects these acts each have on an individual level, however, they each have some affect on those around the individuals in question.

Slavery still wins on this point, because on one hand it's probably subjugating a huge number of people (otherwise it wouldn't really be beneficial for the economy or whatever grand scheme is being hatched, or just effort wise, one slave does not a great empire make, and if you've got one, you're likely to have more eventually) and treating them as lesser beings, and on the other hand, it is teaching all those who aren't slaves to see themselves as the superiors, and to look down on any one who isn't part of the 'us' category. Which can be a pretty damaging point of view by itself.

Rape has a slightly smaller range. But as can be seen from a lot of reaction to sexual assault trials, how authority deals with rape can have a huge impact on how safe people feel beneath that authority, and how significant their voice is or isn't. And how freely someone might take advantage of a lack of action on that authority's part.

Murder can have political ramifications. Close family and friends will be hit hard. Martyrs might be made. It's hard to say just how many people would be affected by any one murder, from whole countries/religions/ethnicities to the one person who knew that guy and the people who had to clean up the body.

So, yeah. I definitely think that it's not easy to say any one of these acts is worse than the other in every single situation, but I do have to say that slavery strikes me as more likely to have a detrimental effect on an individual and broad scale, more often than the other two.

That'd be rape. I can see justifications for murder, and I can even see some justifications for slavery. Rape has no such justification.

Rape has no such justification.
One woman left on earth, outright refuses to have children with anyone.
Since it's basically Armageddon artificial insemination isn't possible.

Granted this one depends on the value one puts on the human species surviving.
And even then I feel a bit vile just suggesting this exception.

In the event that humanity is down to just 1 woman, humanity would be lost regardless. So no justification.

In the event that humanity is down to just 1 woman, humanity would be lost regardless. So no justification.
True, I forgot to account for joffrey in breeding mishaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.