1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Magical, Modern, Fandom, Supernatural
this probably isn't the right place to post this, but i guess i'm doing it anyways.

i was wondering what genres are popular here on iwaku? i feel like i'm having a hard time finding group or one on one plots for me or people just aren't interested in the plots i've proposed, as they don't get any attention for partner searches. i'd like to find something to roleplay on here, but i feel like i'm not finding it.

Well I'll level with you as best as I can, you're not the only one having a hard time finding one-on-one plots for themselves as it does seem like people are not interested. I feel mine don't get the same attention while also relating to not finding what one wants.

The genre's in my experience that are popular are fantasy, modern and fandoms. It's only a niche sample size I'm offering but I'm trying to help someone that has been in my shoes more often than not but those were the ones that are popular. Even alternate universe stuff I see here and there.

Reactions: Maggie
When you say fandoms, do you mainly mean the anime fandoms? Those are the ones I've noticed a lot here.

When you say fandoms, do you mainly mean the anime fandoms? Those are the ones I've noticed a lot here.

Well yes that is what i meant, in general anime fandoms are more popular and common. Though fandoms in other areas are like in the background though in the same category.

Popularity of genre is a factor, but it also depends entirely on how you present your ideas. I tend to look for interest checks that appear well put together, with enough content to inform without being a novel to read. A catchy hook is also useful... Something that allows me to see how the GM or potential partner writes.

Ultimately, any rp has a chance of rolling out, if you make it appealing enough.

That, and patience. Ideas don't always take off right away. Sometimes, they take a few times out of the gate to sway an audience. Reposting the idea a few months later, you may find someone who was interested before, but busy, has opened their schedule more. Ideas down expire, so keep trying!

• Useful
Reactions: Mollisol
Also @themysteriousashe - not sure it's relevant or not cause it may just be me, but I recall one of the rps you posted and I'll be real... Your ideas look lovely, but I can't actually read them lol. I'm on mobile more often than not and the code you use isn't mobile friendly. So it could be something as simple as that!

I'm not sure how to make my code mobile friendly. I do like to dress up my posts. That kinda sucks, since that is a very valid factor.

The only way I know how to make it mobile friendly is if the person on mobile views it as a desktop site, which is an option mobile Chrome users have. It requires zooming, but I'm not sure of any other solutions, as I do love adding code to my posts.

Yeah. I generally switch to desktop view if it's not mobile friendly, but speaking from personal experience... People are lazy lol. The extra step may just be what's driving them from reading further (which is a darn shame).

I know there was a formula for mobile friendly sizing prior to the big update, but I'm not sure if it actually works anymore. I believe Darkflames had it in their guide...

Honestly tho, just gotta keep trying :) Don't give up. People are fickle and lose interest fast but if you manage to find the few who are dedicated, just gotta hang onto them!! 20+ years of rp and that's my biggest takeaway.

I just realized a way to make it mobile friendly, in regards to future posts with coding. Fingers crossed it works.

Bu yeah, I feel like it's difficult to catch people's interest. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be talking as I haven't really found a thread that has caught my interest, but I think this is due to not being a part of the main fandom that's on here.

Reactions: Rebornfan120
Yeah. I'm not a fandom rper, so it's difficult to click with ideas that fall into that particular field. Every once in a blue moon something catches my eye but for the most part I just find myself making what I want to write and hoping for the best lol.

Reactions: themysteriousashe
I am a miserable fan-fiction writer. Just nope.. too embarrassing for me! Lol... A lot of people are good at it, but I never did get into the groove. .. But get me sunk into Paranormal or high fantasy or scary? I'm yours forever...And October has me definitely locked into Scary stuff mode.. Anyone can pm me if they want to plan pm's..... I'm a fast Response kind of giver, and have no life. At least til December :D

Yeah. I generally switch to desktop view if it's not mobile friendly, but speaking from personal experience... People are lazy lol. The extra step may just be what's driving them from reading further (which is a darn shame).

I know there was a formula for mobile friendly sizing prior to the big update, but I'm not sure if it actually works anymore. I believe Darkflames had it in their guide...

Honestly tho, just gotta keep trying :) Don't give up. People are fickle and lose interest fast but if you manage to find the few who are dedicated, just gotta hang onto them!! 20+ years of rp and that's my biggest takeaway.

Well I'm normally try to be as diverse as possible for rp's though fandoms, anime,fantasy and slice of life are kind of the go-to's for me. In terms of keeping trying and not giving up I think there is only so much you can do this before hitting a wall. For me it is a wall of frustration because like Elle said of fickle people. I have been doing this for at least 13 years but the last 9 was because i had more time and constant replies. Some things that people say I find hard to believe like catching interest for a length of time or that there are more dedicated rp'pers out there than it seems, these are just examples.

• Love
Reactions: Maggie
It just depends on the group you find -- I have a group of folks I RP with a lot, and they're extremely consistent. We're all a lot slower - and depending on schedules with school/life that fluctuates a lot, but ultimately, they're reliable and dedicated. Sometimes, you just have to find the right people. Takes a lot of time for sure...

Well groups have their own kind of thing I feel, some say they are more consistent. Depending on experience for one it would be as true or if you are on the other side of the spectrum then it would be good and then bad so fast it vanishes like a ghost. Scheduling didn't factor into that at all nor time as reliable and dedicated they seemed to be it went right out the window quick.

I find that popular genres often come in trends depending on what is super popular in TV and Movies! Like for awhile there, e v e r y o n e wanted to run grimdark fantasy plots like Game of Thrones (even if they weren't doing the fandom itself). The height of the Marvel movies, we had a lot of super hero roleplays. Back a decade ago everything was about vampires, and before that everything was about angels and demons.

There are some things that never seem to go out of style, though:
- Modern Settings featuring supernatural elements
- Highschool roleplays
- Fantasy "quests" that include magic
- Anything involving a setup like vampires vs werewolves, angels vs demons
- Specific fandoms like Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Percy Jackson, Doctor Who, whatever anime is super hot now (it was sailor moon 20 years ago, I dunno what the kids are doing now O_O)

It's absolutely true that if you don't get bites on your request right away, keep reporting and trying! Iwaku gets new members everyday, people's schedules open up, you will definitely eventually get replies from interested parties. :D (and of course making sure it's readable, cause, yeah)