What is a name?

S

Seiji

Original poster
This is a topic all about names!

No duh, right? Well, I'm taking this a bit farther, and instead of asking one particular about one or all of your names, I'm going to
ask them all.

*What does your name mean? Your real name,
and your internet name!

*Speaking of your internet name, where does it come from? Is there some special meaning there?

*Is there a special story to the name your parents gave you?

*Do you even like your name? Do you plan on changing it some day?

Feel free to answer one, all, or even none of them! But if you aren't going to answer any of these question, why are you even posting?!

Well, as for my internet name, I've got two, one of which is broken into a name and title. The first is Xenoxis, which is the name of my first DND character. ALso, if you use it in the context of a Nobody from KH, you can get Noise. My other, and more well known, is Mabushii Kage, The Never There. Mabushii Kage was my original Iwaku user name and is Japanese for Radiant Shadow. Now, a radiant shadow is something that can't really exist, and is therefore, never there. I began using TheNeverThere when I felt a change of pace was called for and wanted something a bit edgy. As a slight bonus, TheNeverThere can be abbreviated as TNT.

*What does your name mean? Your real name, and your internet name!
Lea = meadow
Shae = hawk-like?
Diana = divine

*Speaking of your internet name, where does it come from? Is there some special meaning there?
I was always attracted to the name Diana. ANd later I found out it was -almost- the name my mother gave me. >>; The name Notacat = "Not a cat", and I tacked that on there in a Sailor Moon chat cause everyone thought I was the Diana kitty from Sailor Moon.

My mother gave me the first name of Lea cause she knew a pretty girl named Lea. Except they always called me by my middle name. >:[

I've NEVER liked my middle name and since I was tiny was always trying out new names. XD The moment I heard Diana I knew it was my "True" name. It'll eventually be legal.

Aaron = Mountain
Vay = Lost

Nothing really special, its just short and was fitting at teh time.

They "had a theme going"

No, and, no.

and your internet name!
Patrick = Noble
Clinton = Town On A Hill (I was named after my dad's friend)
Fel = Shortened form of Teufelkind, devil child. Everyone pretty much agrees Fel is better though.

Well, for one I'm actually certifiably crazy. Thus, Devil child, nerf in my former obsession with German, and Teufelkind.

My first name was picked out of a hat, my middle is after my dad's friend.

Screen name? Nah, I try to change it once in a while but everyone calls me Fel anyways.
Real name? I think about it sometimes...

What does your name mean? Your real name, and your internet name!
Andrea is Greek for manly and warrior. Which is awesome. >:3

As for Fluffy, uh... It means... Fluffy.

Speaking of your internet name, where does it come from? Is there some special meaning there?
Before my name was Fluffy, it was Umbreon. [Yes, the Pokemon.] An Iwaku member named Lycan Queen 'captured me' and named me Fluffy. Since that day, I've really loved the name and stuck with it. <3 That is why it's special. LQ and I were very close internet friends. Makes me sad she's not around...

Is there a special story to the name your parents gave you?
Not really; they just liked the name. I would have been Andrew if I was a boy. There is special meaning behind my middle name, though. Named after a family friend or something like that.

Do you even like your name? Do you plan on changing it some day?
My name's okay. People mispronounce it a lot, though... Which is why I prefer to go by Andi. Not only is it less feminine, it's hard to mess up. It's also cute, I'm told. 'Cause apparently I'm cute? :|

I say it often, but my name in English is Peter Wood.

Peter means rock, sturdy, dependable. Something like that.
Madera means wood, or carpenter, I think? I'm not entirely sure.

My name before this is what Koori sometimes still calls me. "Graviton" was the name of a spell from an old game. And this current one is a reference from the Simpson's.

I am named after my father.

I have no plans to change it. In fact, I will mark my first born with the name Pete, boy or girl.

Let's just have this a free flowing cascade of thought.

My given games mean Princess and Grace, and they are my maternal grandmother's names. My grandma went by a nickname that my mom and her sister claim sounded like the name you'd give a cow and lamented over her not using her given name, hence I was given it in hope of not butchering it. I do like my name, but it's common. Fortunately my surname is not. Yay for adoption. I am likely going to keep my surname even after marriage. I like it, and while I'm a traditionalist in many ways, I see no need to take my husbands name. So who's not intimidated by that men?

As for Ocha Hou-ou, Ocha is Japanese for green tea (お茶)I wasn't really thinking about it at the time and left the honorific 'o' on when I named myself. The whole nickname was Ocha-hime, tea princess, so I suppose I have honorifics all over the place. I was called Tea Lady a lot at the first forum I frequented even though that was not my nick, so I finally changed it. Hou-ou is a recent addition at I added to my name here at Iwaku. It is a firebird, or what we might know in the west as a phoenix. While the myths might be different I like both concepts of the bird and doesn't it just all roll off the tongue? Ocha Hou-ou.

c(_)

Torstein = Thor's stone.

Torsty = pet-name for the real one?

Some girl gave it to me, I liked it, so I stuck with it.

I haven't asked, probably not.

Yes and no.

""""English boy name. The meaning of the name is `Meadow` . The name is mainly used In English. The name does not appear In the US top 1000 most common names over the last 128 years. The name means to be unique."""""

Internet name: October Knight is the defender of the colder seasons...cause everyone knows that the Fall and Winter months are the best.

My Dad said he got my name from a book series, Idk really.

I used to not like it, but now I do.

My real name I have no idea what it means but my last name is an adaptation of an Native American name. "Smallish"

Pirogeth and Pseudoping explained below.

Pirogeth - Piro is the name of the guy on Megatokyo that I liked at the time. I thought that Piro just sounded nice for a name. Geth comes from MTG from Geth's Grimoire. Not only does it sound cool but the card itself relates to my writing. The effect, in MTG terms, basically says the more knowledge your opponent loses the greater yours becomes. Also the flavor text is special and I'll let you read that for yourselves: "The book shrieks horribly until its cover is opened, granting the spirit inside a moment's rest from the painful stirrings of the book's contents."

Finally there is my online gamer name: Pseudoping. Pseudo is the prefix to mean fake or similiar to and Ping is the short version of Latency originally used to mean Pinging a server. Fake Latency was my way of saying in a shortened version "I'm there before you know it." AKA Ninja. So there you have that.

Not really, it seems they wanted to name me with a J anyway. So I am Jamie no special story I know about.

I'm alright with my name, after all it is my name. And I have no plans on changing it either. It just kinda sticks out in people's minds usually.

There are two meanings for my first name depending on the language, it either means wealthy or God exists. My middle name means manly, or warrior.
My internet names are Okami and Kawauso. They are both japanese, meaning wolf and otter respectively.
I have always had a fascination with wolves, ever since I was little. I have also had a love of Japan since I was little. Okami was the name of a character of mine in Shadowrun, it just stuck. As for kawauso, when i was in highschool my friends and I came up with an idea for a comic about a bunch of superheroes who were incompitent and had useless powers. There were characters like tourrette ninja, who has tourrettes syndrome. Imagionary man who has the power to not exist. Jon lennin man who is the embodiment of Jon Lennin, you get the idea. Well the villains were just as incompotant and useless. there was one however that wasn't. His name was The Doom Otter, he was a talking otter who ruled all marine mammals. he was attempting to take over the world, but he had a massive problem. he was so adorable that no one ever took him seriously. he was the only compotant, and truly evil villain. Well to make an already long story longer I really began developing The Doom Otter's personality, and I began to act like him sometimes. That gained me the nickname Otter. You can probably figure the rest out.
I received both names from two of my great grandfathers.
I used to hate my name (mostly because it is also a female name and many people made fun of me for it.) but now I like my name, I couldn't imagine changing it.

Kaitlyn: Pure (hahahaha...)
4got10angl = forgotten angel or forgotten angle (depending on whom you ask i suppose haha)
Wreutar: no idea what it means...jinx just randomly started calling me that one day in cbox!! D<

4got10angl i was just bored and couldn't think of anything so i threw it together one day

Nope not that I know of...though for the longest time everyone called me Katie instead of my birthname Kaitlyn because of my brother. He couldn't say Kaitlyn apparently so he just called me Katie from the get-go

Eh I go in phases, I probably won't change it though as Kaitlyn and it's derivatives (Katie, Kate, Kat) all seem to fit me well enough *shrugs*

- My real name would be small heaven's general of the sun wall. Paorou is just a weabooization of my first name - 'small'.

- Not much. Weeaaaboood it up as a kid. It stuck.

- lol my name may be 'small' - but I'm tall for the culture I live in, I'm the eldest among my siblings, and I'm quite large laterally.

- Meh, it's okay.

My real name means "Manly conqueror of people." Nic is but a fraction of that name, and it means "small lord."

My online name? I thought it would sound hip and cool. Turns out it's actually legit, so I'm okay with it.

There's not much of a story behind my name. My parents probably thought it would sound handsome.

And yes, I like my name. Hell, I'm proud of it. After reading The Prince and learning about the Italian cool guy (there's your hint!) who wrote it, no damn way is anyone gonna tell me otherwise.

Stephen, is Greek in origin and means crowned one, kinda funny considering how we've discovered I'm a descendant of Charlemagne
Richard, English, means Powerful or Rich, though I didn't get it for that.

Grandmaster = Rank among the Grey knights
Karsikan = Misspelling of Kasrkin the elite Cadian SF
Banrae = This name comes from Forgotten Realms, Rivals of House Do'Urden

Yeah, my father decided My middle name should be Richard (or Dick in this instance) after what made me

some day I'll get off my ass and officially change my last name to Jorgensen, for legal reasons I still have to use my mothers maiden name.

Adrian: I like to think I was named after the pope, or maybe the Roman Emperor Hadrian. Then I found out my parents just liked the sound of it. Too bad they're immigrants and didn't realize how many Rocky jokes I'd have to suffer in my life. There's a reason I only go by my last name in professional settings. Or by my new first name, "Doctor." God damn 80s movies.

My last name is somewhat infamous for political reasons about half a generation ago. I'm pretty sure I can go visit my relatives overseas without getting shot at these days. In certain medical circles, its also known for one physician in the family (my paternal grandfather) who helped find a cure for some infectious disease; it wasn't my interest, so I never followed up on that, especially since Gramps already earned his badass creds helping the Filipino resistance fight the Japanese in World War 2.

My Iwaku name is a D&D character. Yeeeears ago. Before Sakura was born, I think. She's what, 18? So yeah, that'd be about right, give or take 3 years.

Reactions: 1 person

and your internet name!
"Fiona" means "white" or "fair", of celtic/gaelic origin. Middle name, "Lynne" means "beautiful waterfall". I'm fairly certain neither were chosen for the meanings. Surname, "Kane", means either "honour" or "tribute", and is originally celtic/gaelic.
The name I use here, "Elanora", doesn't really mean anything. Another, "Hikari", I believe means "light" in japanese.

There was this show called Sir Gadabout on kids telly at one point, I watched it religiously every day after school. The princess was Elenor. For whatever reason, in spite of my not getting onto the internet til way later, this name and the name Hikari kept popping into my head when I joined up on new forums. I slightly bastardized the spelling, but that's where it's from.

Not particularly. I was originally gonna be called April, but they reconsidered. I've no idea why, but I'm glad. I wouldn't suit that name, at least in my eyes - my friends say otherwise but still. My middle name, Lynne, is for my aunt, mum's younger sister. I think they were closest.

I've no problem with my name. I wouldn't be able to think of another to fit me quite right.