What Gender is Your Writing?

K

Kitti

Original poster
Male%26FemaleSymbol.png

[size=+1]

Try here!

This is, of course, not a definitive testing. I found it and thought that it was interesting, since they base it off of keywords and such to determine the "gender" of your passage.[/size]

Kitti said:
The first thing that one would notice about the land, were they arrive by plane, would be the nearly oppressive heat that seemed to pervade every last foot of the land to where the mere thought of colder temperature was almost something that the mind could not longer picture. Arrive by other means, the heat was a more gradual shift, slowly taking hold in a way that was not immediately noticeable. The twin to the heat, which made it all the more stifling, was the humidity that hung wet in the air like a sheet of moisture draped over all that it touched.

In this climate, plants thrived, which made sense enough. The leafy trees that made up the emerald canopy received plenty of liquid to sustain their life function and the soil, which was tangibly wet due to the humidity, was filled with untold nutrients that fed the trees as they grew taller and taller, their branches reaching to the skies. There was shade in many areas, though the dappled sunlight would find any gap possible and filter down through the broad leaves of the trees to reach the ground below and urge what plants it could into growth. Some of them adapted to the low light, gaining energy from other sources instead. More than one plant native to the area had been known to feed on the small animals that would unwittingly come too close.

From several of the trees, fruit hung low, ripening on the branch and some of it falling, rotted, to the ground for animals to scavenge. The sweet smell of rotting fruit wafted on the gentle breeze, calling to all the creatures that might feat upon it and spread the seeds. Happy helpers, insects hummed through the air, some content to feed on the sticky fruit mush while others were more inclined to target the soft-furred mammals, feeding on their blood.

The small, off-white boat that had been coming ever closer to land finally touched gently against the shore and a flurry of activity followed this, suddenly hopping to motion as it did so. A dark-skinned man with many wrinkles across his brow moved to the front of the boat with a steady swagger - he was clearly at home in the setting and confident with himself and his sea legs had been gained long since, thus he hadn't been affected by their trip in the slightest. From the side of the boat, a girl turned quickly, her braid trailing behind her hand in the air, creating a gentle arc as she spun to grab her things. She was slightly paler in the face than she ought to be and while her wide eyes and expression denoted great excitement, her complexion and unsteady gait belied her inexperience.

As soon as they touched land, Lauren had ceased admiring the plant life and animal that she could see from her position leaning over the side of the boat. A tiny patch, pale yellow in color, stood out against her skin and she peeled it off hastily before gathering her rucksack. She hated being seasick, envied the other two men for their apparent composure, and truly detested the seasickness patch that she had to wear every time she stepped foot onto a boat. It made her, in her opinion, look hesitant and pampered, which she did not like. She compensated as best she could by being even more eager than usual, a difficult feat. She did not want to make her fellow archaeologist regret allowing her to come along with him for this incredible opportunity.

"Ready, then! I've got my bag, is there anything more you'd like me to grab for you, sir?"

Words: 618
(NOTE: The genie works best on texts of more than 500 words.)

Female Score: 713
Male Score: 923
The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!

:D I like this!~

I'mma try it for a passage I had written for a male character in a roleplay, and then a female character in a different roleplay, just to check on if that even changes what it may think.

Male example:
Acorns were quite underestimated.
The power one little oak nut had was hidden so well beyond that outer covering, as if it was waiting to unleash everything it had inside to the world. Feeding so many different creatures, it was helpful in aiding nature, helping it survive in some ways. It would have to separate from it's brothers and sisters hanging from the mama tree, prepare for the great fall and tumble that would lead to another stage in life. In the end, the little acorn could become lucky enough to dig into the ground, and transform over time into that of a giant oak tree. It honestly was a very inspiring tale for those who were small themselves, and felt there was nothing left to hope for along their paths.
Gillian felt that acorns were just fascinating.

Positioned beneath one of his most favored spots in all of Rylor, the young man was enjoying his moment of tranquility this evening. It was surely a treat to have this time alone, to lean back against the experienced, strong bark that could tell stories, if only it could speak. If it could, Gillian would listen attentively, and actually show honest interest as well. Legs outstretched in front of him, sandals at his side as his bare feet wiggled toes against the air. Some might turn up their noses at him for letting his limbs hang out as so, but he was very clean, and didn't smell rotten, so he wouldn't have cared. Folding his arms, palms entangling against the soft, blonde tresses of hair that fell out from his hat, yes, Gillian was very content.

The sun was shimmering out against his eyes, staring upwards to the sky with a lazy gaze. Adjusting the glasses in front of his view, he wouldn't allow the rays to blind him for much longer than a minute. It was beginning to fade outside anyways, the sun was quitting soon enough for the day. Gathering together the blades of his shoulders, creating a thick, deep line up his back, a grunt protruded from the trapped throat, a sign of successful stretching. Leaning forward to his knees, the lock hanging from his neck graces against his skin, swaying a little bit from the force of motion. Gillian did not flinch, even with the spikes against his skin tightening a bit, ever so gently from the pull of gravity on the lock. A Berserker was not weak, nor did the wince. That was not saying he was all high and tough, mighty mister man over here. He just was use to having thick skin, literally.

True, his physical looks were that of a broad shouldered, towering build of muscle. Inside, however, the heart and soul of a scrawny, peaceful boy of nature thrived. Tilting his head back, Gillian twitched a little to the sound of a loud, booming voice. A smirk took to his lips, followed by the shake of his head.
"Oh, Felius. As annoying as ever."​

With a warm chuckle, his joints cracked gently, springing up to his feet in a swift single motion. Placing his hands on his lower back, he arched his back, raising his chest to the setting sky. It was finally time to go back to the city, to civilization and actual beings, other than animal and plant life. Too bad it couldn't have waited for a few more hours, such a bothersome announcement.

Slipping his large feet back into the thongs of his sandals, Gillian reached over to his weapon, strapping it once again to his back. The rope crossed along his front, and after a swig from his jug of water, it was time to head out. Making way along the forest, near a lovely little pond, it was a good thing that he left when he did. The Berserker just could not resist the acorns that sprinkled along his path. Stopping every other one he took into focus, his hand would reach out as he bent at the hip, gathering as many as he could stuff into his pockets. Beauty in nature was too much to pass up. It went by unnoticed by most on this planet, which was an extreme pity to the man.

The soft thuds of acorns rattling against each other inside his short's pockets sounded out into the wind. Gillian entered the city finally, staring around at the bodies that rushed about in a certain direction. Figuring they were all headed towards the place of meeting for that sudden call, he chose to follow along at his own pace, slowly admiring the way the streets were laid out. Noticing a child chasing another before him, a smile crinkled at his cheeks. He did wish to be young like that again, in body at least. He never really took the time to grow up, even though it was expected of him as an 'adult'. Innocence was too precious to give away to a matter of aging, what was the point? Gillian stopped once he found a crowd waiting the result of that one announcement, shifting onto one leg for support as a yawn opened and closed his mouth. Perhaps this would take only a moment, a short one, hopefully. Then he could move on to his work, seeing as his employer was probably in need of him by now. The other option was to ditch out on work and find some flowers in the field across from the city to make a crown out of.
Clearly, Gillian would lean towards the latter choice, if it becomes available to him.​

Results!~
Words: 940(NOTE: The genie works best on texts of more than 500 words.)

Female Score: 672
Male Score: 1199

Water filled over the small part of her face that was showing, causing her to fall deep down into the sea. She never knew how it felt to drown, and she was glad for that. It truly was horrible, very unpleasant. Lapping waves pushed at her fragile form under the surface, limbs being thrown against every direction, practically slapping away at schools of fish. There was no one to save her. She was weak, she could not even save herself. She was scared, this was not fun. Giving up, her eyelids fell heavily, the will to live was fading.

And then she woke up.
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]
Winston stood lightly against the neck of the little mistress, his bright, dark eyes glittering from sheer bliss. The tiny pink tongue was at work, lapping up at her cheekbones, her nose, her forehead. Well, who could blame the puppy? He was happy to see her! It was morning, she shouldn't be sleeping, and he was there to wake her. Besides that fact, he was just extremely proud of actually jumping up to the bed for once. Being as tiny as he was, this was quite the feat to overcome, and he was not about to let her sleepy manner ruin his joy. She must share in it with him!

"Nng.. A...Ahahahahaha, W...W-W-Winston! Winston, stoppit! S-s-stop!!"​

A squeaky, shrill laugh exploded from the throat of Adelaine. She was now awake, and filled with slow relief to find the source of her terrifying 'ocean'. Grasping the pet gently with her hands, she lifted him off from her body, and placed him beside her on the lavender, soft covers. Sitting up with yawn stretching out her jaw, her limbs raised high above her head, as much as they could for such a small being. Strands of strawberry brunette hair stuck out in every direction from the activity of tossing and turning rapidly in her slumber. Balling up her hands, she rubbed at deep, cherry toned eyes, in the process of waking up at the moment.
Slipping her legs over to the edge of the bed, Adelaine slipped off to stand, taking a moment to gather her balance. Was today a day she would have enough energy to move around? She wondered this silently as she stared down at her naked feet. Focusing on how her muscles felt, she analyzed the level of stamina within her. So far so good.. She wasn't toppling over just yet. This was a good sign. Kind of.
Putting on her white, rather giant bunny slippers, in comparison to her body of course, she shuffled along the room. Winston leaped off from the bed to follow close behind, which made another smile hit her face. She did not bother to open up the curtains to her room. The sun was not wanted here, no, not yet. Besides, Francesca would probably force her to take in some Vitamin D eventually.. She would dodge that for as long as she could.

Stopping over at a calender (Hello Kitty themed, of course) that hung from the wall, nearest to the door leading to her quarters, Adelaine studied the numbers. Suddenly, her eyes lit up, her dimples deepened. Today was the day. THE day. It was coming TODAY!
Squealing out of nowhere, causing Winston to jump and stare up at her, wagging his tail in confusion, Adelaine twirled in a circle and found a stuffed animal beside her. Picking up the chubby purple hippo, she held it close and danced along her room. KRYSIN! KRYSIN! It was coming! Today! TODAY!!
"Winston! We must celebrate! We must play, and sing, and roll around on the floor!"​

Laughing, Adelaine moved along the room with grace, happily turning and turning for what seemed like forever. Winston of course was enjoying this excitement, as he bounced along with her, barking happily.
"We mus-..."​

Stopping abruptly, the hippo was whipped from the force of their movement across the room as her hands had lost their grasp. Leaning back against the foot of her bed, Adelaine closed her eyes, her palms flat against her chest. Her breath was staggering, and quite heavy. Winston noticed this, and began to bark louder than ever, frantically running around in circles. He was scared. Adelaine was scared. Her movement had been too much for her heart to take, her body was not happy with her. No, no. Not the happiest little body, it wasn't.
Adelaine knew better than to engage in such activity so early in the morning, without taking her medicine yet, or eating for that matter. But.. she was excited. The program was the solution to her constant boredom, and unhappiness. It was to become her escape, so she could actually do something without worrying of getting hurt, or losing her life at any moment..
This Game would make everything better.
Focusing on the floor, Adelaine breathed in and out slowly, not even trying to call for any help, as she wanted to conserve her energy for now.
Perhaps the Ocean should have taken her after all.

Results!~

Words: 844

Female Score: 1466
Male Score: 928
The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

Sooooooooooooooo.
I wonder if that means anything....

Well, I tried it with multiple texts, and I do not know if it really works. I first tried a text, which had a female protagonist, and it yielded these results:

Words: 1208
Female Score: 2475
Male Score: 1247

Then I tried a very long text without any special narrative focus:

Words: 14579
Female Score: 18591
Male Score: 19966

And finally, I tried a story written from a first-person perspective, with the protagonist intended as a male:

Words: 992
Female Score: 1250
Male score: 1417

I guess my writing is very feminine. I am not sure I wanted to know that.​

I guess I'll try it with a couple.

This one was one of my longer posts from shattered. Run, doe, run!

Words: 900
Female Score: 1308
Male Score: 930

Another post from Shattered, a fight scene.

Words: 1092
Female Score: 1570
Male Score: 1210

a post from PM

Words: 1233

Female Score: 1126
Male Score: 1992

intro for Valiant

Words: 1089

Female Score: 853
Male Score: 1557

An essay

Words: 1473

Female Score: 1511
Male Score: 2119

entry from my cooking blog

Words: 318

Female Score: 410
Male Score: 442

yup guess i write like a dood.....

Passage: Fuck your shit, you motherfucking ignorant-ass goddamn selfish asshole.

Words: 9
Female score:
Male score: 0
Keyword: [your]

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

lolololololololololololololololooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollipoops.