What game didn't live up to the hype for you?

Sorrelfur

Hufflepuff on the streets, Slytherin in the sheets
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Romance, Yaoi, Modern, Slice of Life, Omegaverse, etc
No judgment here, judgement free zone. What's a game that for you just didn't spark the joy you thought it would or didn't live up to the massive hype?

For me it was legend of Zelda breath of the wild. Don't get me wrong it's a visually stunning game and I wanted to love it. But the game play style just wasn't something I enjoyed and I'm one of those people who game play mechanics play a huge part in if I like a game or not. I'm also not good at any combat 😂 which I know the combat in it isn't hard for most people but for me I'm horrendous at even baby combat

Eidt also animal crossing new horizons, just hate the fact neighbors can leave and I have to check the game every damn day to avoid that basically 😂 my adhd brain likes to go on game binges then forget about them for months

Rainbow Six Extraction - my first competitive shooter was Siege and since the mechanics carried over I liked it..... then the gameplay loop made it massively disappointing even though I was playing with friends

Genshin Impact - Breath of the Waifu was hyped up but I mostly got through it as a chore. Even if the story is being expanded it all felt very lackluster compared to Honkai Impact 3. and numbers go brr was boring

Pokemon Sword and Shield. The story was so lackluster. It's made me more or less stop caring about pokemon nearly alltogether.

Pokemon Sword and Shield. The story was so lackluster. It's made me more or less stop caring about pokemon nearly alltogether.
Honestly that game nearly ruined the franchise for me. The story felt so...lame and it was so quick and the lack of pokemon available just ruined it more for me. I'm buying the newest one but idk how I feel ima be tough on it

Honestly that game nearly ruined the franchise for me. The story felt so...lame and it was so quick and the lack of pokemon available just ruined it more for me. I'm buying the newest one but idk how I feel ima be tough on it
ya wanna be pokemon pals? Because I'll probably buy ONE of the newest ones soon.....I am however interested in the new "Legends" series.

Maybe a hot take, maybe not, but, I think Pokemon began a sharp dip in quality ever since Gen 5. I think X and Y were the last ones I was actually excited for/enjoyed. Didn't care for the gen 3 remakes or Sun and Moon at all, and I ended up giving Sword a shot but was severely disappointed. I generally don't think the franchise is going in a direction I care to follow.

Anyway, my "hyped" game that I simply didn't care for is The Witcher 3. It's beautiful, and the story is decent, but the the main gameplay is just... not something that grabs me. The world feels so big but also kind of empty, it takes forever to level up/get anywhere, and the combat isn't for me. It's a shame, because I like the world and characters, but I just couldn't force myself to play through it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LunaValentine
ya wanna be pokemon pals? Because I'll probably buy ONE of the newest ones soon.....I am however interested in the new "Legends" series.
I'd love to be pokemon pals!! I don't know many people who play anymore 😂 out of curiosity which version are you going for? I honestly can't decide, I usually get both because I don't want to pay for the online service on the switch just to trade someone for the pokemon I'm missing in my game 😂 the games are so pricey tho I was thinking about just nabbing violet as I like the legendary better in that one. Another reason I don't want to get both is in case the story is awful I don't want to relive it twice 😂

Ooooh legends arceus is hands down one of my fav pokemon games I absolutely LOVE being able to craft pokemon balls instead of buy them. Sadly I don't think they'll be adding that to these ones coming up so I'm salty

I'd love to be pokemon pals!! I don't know many people who play anymore 😂 out of curiosity which version are you going for? I honestly can't decide, I usually get both because I don't want to pay for the online service on the switch just to trade someone for the pokemon I'm missing in my game 😂 the games are so pricey tho I was thinking about just nabbing violet as I like the legendary better in that one. Another reason I don't want to get both is in case the story is awful I don't want to relive it twice 😂

Ooooh legends arceus is hands down one of my fav pokemon games I absolutely LOVE being able to craft pokemon balls instead of buy them. Sadly I don't think they'll be adding that to these ones coming up so I'm salty
If you wanna get violet I'll get scarlet. Though I was leaning for violet as well haha! I'm the same way, that's why I have both sword and shield. I.....I regret spending that money. Thankfully I refuse to buy the "expansion"

If you wanna get violet I'll get scarlet. Though I was leaning for violet as well haha! I'm the same way, that's why I have both sword and shield. I.....I regret spending that money. Thankfully I refuse to buy the "expansion"
What I like up this one coming up is the differences feel more noticeable you know? I feel like sword and shield had no differences minus the name 😂 at least this one the professor is different and the general vibe of future vs past. Oh God the expansion. First off the whole expansion thing pisses me off cause it felt money grabby. I got the expansion as a gift so luckily I didn't waste the money but I was still upset they profited off me someway 😂

Reactions: LunaValentine
@Sorrelfur Villagers actually can’t leave without your permission in New Horizons. Sounds like your game might be glitched.

As for me, it’s Legends of Arceus. I just don’t like how open world it is and while I like collecting, I also want a clear story where I don’t have to grind for my Pokédex entries and get the box legendary. Also side quests, so many of them…

Amusingly, this is how I feel about pretty much all video games. Kind of like with alcohol, the way people talk about games make me feel like they should be exciting and interesting and a good time, but I tend to find a lot of them feel kind of like they drag, or are stressful, or just fail to capture me. My few exceptions are mystery games (Phoenix Wright, Layton Brothers: Mystery Room), collecting and/or farming games (Love Nikki, Rise of Berk, Pokemon Shining Pearl, Story of Seasons, Minecraft), and puzzle games (Portal, Nonograms, Valiant Hearts), which are usually acceptable, but not exactly.. something I seek out most of the time.

Stardew Valley was a particular one that I was really looking forward to because when I was younger, I really loved this dumb John Deere farming game that was basically trying to rip off of Harvest Moon, and I've heard Stardew Valley is basically Harvest Moon but on more accessible devices, but uh... I didn't like it. I felt like it emphasized the social stuff more than the farming stuff. To this day, I still haven't found a game that does the same level of interactive mini games to make the farming bits more interesting, but I did oddly like Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town. I think the cute graphics save it for me (never was really into the retro 8-bit style, tbh).

Reactions: Sorrelfur
@Sorrelfur Villagers actually can’t leave without your permission in New Horizons. Sounds like your game might be glitched.

As for me, it’s Legends of Arceus. I just don’t like how open world it is and while I like collecting, I also want a clear story where I don’t have to grind for my Pokédex entries and get the box legendary. Also side quests, so many of them…
I'm not shocked I have a glitched game 😂 I have the worst luck

It might just be my love for Pokémon that keeps my hope in all the games, I dunno, I’ve loved all the the Pokémon games I’ve played. Sun & Moon was apart of my childhood, Sword & Shield was great in terms of Snom, Legends: Arceus was beautiful, and Scarlet & Violet has me excited.

You know what game doesn’t deserve the hype, though?

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

It was great for quarantine, but then it just lost all hope after that :v

Last edited:
The Dark Souls games, and the Assassin's Creed games. Some of the aesthetics are dope, but I couldn't get into actually playing them. Except for Bloodborne, I like that one. :]

Scorn, on almost every level. They stretched that shit just long enough to dodge having to give Steam 2 hour Refunds and ran away with the bag and five, six years of empty hype.

• Thank You
Reactions: PaulaVonMalotki
Scorn, on almost every level. They stretched that shit just long enough to dodge having to give Steam 2 hour Refunds and ran away with the bag and five, six years of empty hype.

Thanks. I just tossed it off my Wishlist :3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me.. hmm.. let me scroll through my 200 games library on Steam :P

I guess.. Homefront and Homefront-Revolution.. even if I can look past the blatant low brained US (so called) Patriotism (which I always have a special issue with ;3) ... they aren't good games.. ah well.. live and learn *shrug*