What does your username mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melancholy-a feeling of pensive sadness

I chose this name because, at the time, I was very depressed. I mean I still am, but I was at a very low point then. So I chose a word that seemed to fit how I felt. I'm a lot better now, but I still love the name, so I'm keeping it.

I don't have some elaborate back story on how I got it, but the word is symbolic to me.

I hate sharing the origin of this name because it's so retarded. Luckily for you guys, I'm just dripping in self-loathing, so to torture myself: here goes.

I was 13. I'd been banned from having "violent" games for years, and I was oh-so-emotionally distraught at not being able to hang out with my friends either online or in person because they were wasting their youth always playing Halo or CoD. I'd just moved schools and, selfishly and brutally, used my exceptional ability at bullshitting to convince my mother that I was miserable and that the only way I'd make friends was if I could play online with them. Unfortunately, only the "miserable" part was a lie; I was so socially inept at that point that gaming was about the only way I could form a connection with new people, because I was boring as fuck and had no other hobbies.
Anyway, I was allowed to get the games and proceeded to play them relentlessly for the next two years before quitting in favour of doing something more productive with my life (read: masturbating for self-gratification instead of murdering aliens with sadistic glee for hours on end.) It was around the time I got them that I first signed up to RPG The-Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named-Please-Don't-Hurt-Me. Of course, I was completely lacking in creativity just like most 13 year-olds, so the first thing that leapt to mind was the name of the game I was playing so much. I went with HaloAssault as my name, and promptly set about joining more RPs than I could handle then immediately dropping out when I went back to school after the holidays. It took two years for me to return to the site, and that's when I gave up on productivity and success forever by joining the cesspit that was the Spam section. Over the years I grew to absolutely loathe my name, but I was stuck with it and it's what everyone knew me by. I went by Halo or by my actual name, Henry, in Skype chats and stuff, because fuck internet safety I'm a rebel you can't tell me what to do.
When I came to Iwaku I finally had the chance to drop the oh-so-retarded "Assault" part, but kept Halo because it seems all deep and meaningful and shit even though it totally isn't, and because all those in the Gr8 Migr8ion knew me by that name. And here I am.

God, why the fuck didn't I change it. Ew.

Expllo, a name so many people spell and say incorrectly. People have wondered what it means, and thinks there is some deep meaning behind it. But it's simple really...

...Explosion. Add an extra l, take away the sion part. It's really that simple. As for how I came up with it? I was, like, ten and needed a username for a game. Couldn't think of anything, and due to me really liking explosions I put in explosion. Thought it looked stupid so I came up with Expllo thinking it looked cooler. Realized, few years later, it's actually stupid as fuck.

Melancholy-a feeling of pensive sadness
I read penis, I'm sorry.

A Dervish is an Arabian ascetic, kind of like a monk.

It's also a class in Guild Wars.

It's also what The Arbiter from Halo was supposed to be called, but the devs thought that might be offensive to Muslims.

And it's easy to remember, spell, and I haven't seen anyone else use it.

/story.

A Dervish is an Arabian ascetic, kind of like a monk.

It's also a class in Guild Wars.

It's also what The Arbiter from Halo was supposed to be called, but the devs thought that might be offensive to Muslims.

And it's easy to remember, spell, and I haven't seen anyone else use it.

/story.
I always associate dervishes with dual sword wielding because I think there was a D&D 3.5 Prestige Class that bore the name and was specialized around two swords. I learned the real meaning later, though.

It's butchered Latin. Something about necromancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lysander is just awesome name I saw in a roleplay years ago; and I 9hopefully one day) would like Lysander to be a pseudonym I write under.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm one of those people who use the same username across the net. I chose the name Minibit when I was around seventeen or eighteen, I was in my first year of college, studying computer science, and we had just covered measurements of data such as bits and bytes. I was on a 'tiny things' kick at the time (one I've never really quit; tiny things are adorable; look at this tiny food!) and since a 'bit' is the smallest increment of data, I figured something tinier than that would have to be called a 'mini bit' or something. It sounded cute so I kept it.

I've had to use variations across the net though; and for a perplexing and sometimes infuriating reason. In several sites such as Facebook, Tastekid, YouTube, and even Instagram, the name "Minibit" has been taken - and here's the kicker - unused. Every time I find my name already laid claim to, I search it to see who is this person who shares my nickname, and every single time so far, it has been a profile with no activity or information. It was created and abandoned; possibly a spam bot? Possibly someone just lurking who lost interest? I don't know, but they've forced me to register under "MinibitX' or "Minibitty" or "Minibit vanByte" numerous times.

I get nicknames by other means, too. Apparently "Minibit" is a very nicknameable nickname! People have shortened it, expanded it, and played around with it so much I started collecting the variations in my Skype flavour text, and I ran out of room. Presently, my nickname list is growing in an Office Document; the list runs as follows! All of them have been used in conversations; as a personal rule I don't add names to the list when they're the result of someone trying to think of something new for the list, unless it's really cute or clever. Despite this filter, it's still a pretty long one!

Minibitty
Minibits
Minibitz
The Bitz
Bit of Mini
Megabit
Gigabit
Minibutt
Minitits
Minibitch
MIni Bunches of Oats
Minigal
Minigirl
Minibyte
Meanybit
Dirtybit
Mini Bite
Mini-Itty-Bitty
Miniboot
Mini Kitty

And, as my buddy Brandork pointed out, nearly all of them sound like yummy breakfast cereals!

Copypasta from my blog

Reactions: Ashi
More role playing than women. Where it concerns women, I'm more the third wheel they occasionally glance at out of pity before running off with someone who's got wealth, power, or looks. "Loyalty" is a commodity rarely seen nowadays.
Awww. -Huggles- If it makes you feel better, I like ya! But I'm married, so it's purely in a 'I want to pinch your cheeks because you're adorable' kind of way. =D

Reactions: Lysander
Awww. -Huggles- If it makes you feel better, I like ya! But I'm married, so it's purely in a 'I want to pinch your cheeks because you're adorable' kind of way. =D
Yeah. I know. That seems to be the problem. The people worth spending time with already have people worth spending time with.

Oh well. At least I have Johnny Bravo reruns and ferrets. :ferret:

Uhm... I just sort of one day thought about what would happen if there was a Camel in the Antarctic and figured it would be cold. "ColdCamel" didn't work because it was too straight forward, so "Frosted" ended up being my use, now I have people picturing vanilla frosted camels and it amuses me because that's not what I pictured originally.

I've also used "HighOctaneCamel" and "LukewarmCamel" among others... Just picture those camels for a second, go on, don't be afraid.

Mine was what I got named by a very hippie-ish guild leader from WoW. Also where I got the picture. They created a 'pack rune' for every single member of the guild as part of the 'joining ceremony' in RP. Was really enjoyable, and it stuck quite well.

The very first username I ever created was Randivaskil, for a youtube account. I was young, probably around ten, and when I finally got tired of all the usernames I tried being taken, I flipped the keyboard upside down, and pressed random letters. That was the result, I liked it, and I kept it. For a while, till I forgot my password! Eventually, I had to make more. That was the origin of Siebidsaek, Jiskastya, Ansvetet, Hoishesne, and others I've forgotten at this point. If you see one of those, it is undoubtedly me. Just because they are so odd.

Except on steam. Someone stole Randivaskil, and I was pissed.

... Anyways.

Eventually, I got tired of it! When I joined Iwaku, I resolved to pick a perfectly non-nonsensical username. I was honestly expecting Peregrine to be taken, because it is a really common username. But it wasn't, so now it is me. And I can't use it anywhere else, because it is always taken!

Sometimes I miss Jiskastya. That was a favorite for quite a while, and I like it a lot. I've pretty much gone back to it everywhere but here. But by the time I figggerd that out, I was already Peregrine, and I'm not one for name changes. I don't like them. :D

It's an acronym: Artillery Spam/Tank Abuse

Because burying your enemies under a smothering blanket of cannon fire and drowning them in unending waves of armored vehicles is one of the surest ways of winning battles in RTS games.

My name... Well, my username was bestowed upon me by my dearest friend, though not on a drunken night. Rather just a random afternoon on a weekend we were spending together. Originally, it was for an OC on another site I used to role play on. I asked her for two random names to put together and she gave me "Akiko" and "Yukito." I liked it so much, it became my email and username for nearly everything. It was a great change from the names I used to use with derivatives of "bunny" in them, a nickname from a former friend who I had a falling-out with. Each name does have a meaning, "Akiko" meaning "autumn, clear, bright, or sparkle" and "Yukito" meaning "snow, rabbit, and traveler" so I've seen.

The blandest sounding, most forgettable combination of syllables I could think of.

When I came to Iwaku I finally had the chance to drop the oh-so-retarded "Assault" part, but kept Halo because it seems all deep and meaningful and shit even though it totally isn't, and because all those in the Gr8 Migr8ion knew me by that name. And here I am.
if it makes you feel better

I never played Halo, and so I assumed your username had been something interesting and original.

Status
Not open for further replies.