What do you think makes for a good/engaging romantic interest in a roleplay or story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hana

wandering thoughts
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
This is specifically more geared towards those who are interested in the romance or romance-related genres, but what traits or personalities make a main hero or heroine likeable for you? Do you try to go against the usual 'type' when you write your own hero or heroine, or are you unafraid to also execute a tried and tested character trope for the challenge itself?

What kinds of personalities and characters do you enjoy seeing in a romantic setting with your own character? Do you have a favorite character archetype or trope?

Very, very rarely do I ever create a character who is intended solely for romance, but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it when it developed naturally between two characters.

For me, the biggest favorites of mine for characters and how likable they are in a pairing is contrast. Job, build, height, age, personality, world view: the more the better, though I rarely like full evil: I prefer shades of grey.

As for individual characters being likable, most of it comes down to execution. I greatly dislike mixed sex (futa/intersex/herm) characters, but there are a couple I absolutely adore because I was allowed to grow attached to them as "people" before the involvement of genitals.

Other traits I like... I typically like tall guys, very short girls (paired with someone significantly taller, especially), and I'm not a big fan of overly fluffy or romantic characters on either end.

I like when characters are shaky on personal space and boundaries, either they try to be respectful but get too excited, or they're just uncaring enough that it doesn't matter to them very much.

I can only think of one pairing I RP where the characters don't have a lot of contrast, and it involves a woman named Rare and a man named Brock (owned by @Shirelin ).

Both have spent their entire lives in servitude towards shady cloaked figures, and both have hands covered in the blood of supernatural and magical creatures. Both have submissive tendencies and enjoy little luxuries and being quiet together. They enjoy trying to make the other blush, and they are both quite tall, and both have black hair and brown eyes.

Rare differs from Brock in that she was forced into a master/slave relationship with one of the shady cloaked figures, forced to learn magic, and forced into becoming a masochist and believing her place was below men. She enjoys wearing dresses, makeup, and putting in effort to look beautiful daily.

Brock meanwhile has very strong feminist streak and follows a code not too unlike the Code of Chivalry. He keeps himself clean and shaven and trimmed, but he doesn't consistently wear fashionable or fancy clothing: instead opting for simple and serviceable. He submits to Rare willingly and acts as her protector.

On the other end of the contrast spectrum, we have K and Delaney (owned by @Cerulean ). They are both humans and both live in a modern world where not having magic is seen as a disability with almost as much stigma as Depression in the real world.

K is short, incredibly underweight, can't match his clothing, and does not take care of himself. He's disabled in many ways: Autism, Depression, lack of magic, ADD, and likely more that haven't been diagnosed yet. He's overly clinical in his words and actions, and rarely becomes emotional. K is also agender, asexual (oblivious type), and female-bodied, prefers "scholarly" he/him pronouns, but in the end doesn't give a damn what he's called, as long as it's not "little girl". Despite his lack of care for himself, he can be freaked out by "unsanitary" things like being touched by other people. He can't make or read expressions well at all.

Delaney is tall, fat, and strong. He works out and takes care of himself. Fairly normal guy, overall. He would have been a sports star if not for the weight that refuses to go away. He's a gamer who likes FPS games almost as much as he likes girls in skimpy clothing in RPGS and dating sims, and anime. He is 'normal' in that his sex and gender are the same and he is straight. Delaney has no issues with touching others or reading expressions.

... I went off on a tangent. Fuggit. -posts anyway-

Character Chemistry. 199% Character Chemistry.

Think about it in terms of a REAL relationship. You have to actually be compatible with the person if you're going to date them, right? So why should roleplay or a story be any different? This is why as a GM and player, I stress the importance of letting relationships develop as the roleplay carries out - not preplanning (or preplanning as little as possible) the mushy bits until the characters have had a chance to meet and develop. Otherwise, it's the equivalent jumping onto a ship before you have a chance to actually figure out if there are oars to row with.

I have seen far too often relationships built around "We should do this!" and then those two characters not meshing together nearly as well as the OOC hopes... and honestly, it can ruin a roleplay where romance isn't even the main aspect. I have seen preplanning turn into a nightmare - where one person refuses to let go of the idea, despite the fact that there is blindingly obvious better chemistry between other characters. Where that stubborn refusal has made things awkward both ICly and OOCly. It's being able to let go of preconceived concepts and saying "Let's play this out and see where it goes" or even being able to say "This isn't working, let's abandon the idea entirely". Honestly... it can save an RP.

for me i look for realistic conflicts that may happen within a relationship due to conflicting interests/personalities and soon so forth. it doesn't exactly make them 'likable', but it makes them real.

like one of my favorite traits in a character is a lack of trust, or what i refer to as, 'brick-hearted'. this offers a lot of conflicts alone within a relationship, a lot of different paths that can be taken and that's what makes it unique. you can have character A suddenly chicken out of a major step in their relationship because they're scared, and it's up to character B how to face it. character B can be critical and hurt about it, or character B might have to develop themselves and realize that something must change for this relationship to progress.

love is a matter of fitting into each other and trying your best to accept the parts that quite don't click. not everything can be necessarily "likeable" or so on, but what you can do is create a character that is willing to work for what it's worth despite the obstacles. that's that most important part to me regarding creating a realistic and desirable relationship in fiction.

that's my tea on it at least, i hope i was able to offer something up. :~)

Status
Not open for further replies.