What do you like in an Apocalyptic World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minibit

Returned from the Void
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
I'm not too heavy on apocalypse plots/worlds, myself, but I've scrolled through enough of them to know a bunch of you guys are!

What is it about apocalyptic worlds you find appealing? What bits of the setting do you like best? What's your favourite apocalyptic setting that you've played in?

I like the idea that the apocalypse is a sort of giant restart button. The complex situations and technology of the past is now incredibly rare, if it is even such a thing. I especially love it if an apocalyptic event's aftermath is a sort of Eden-istic natural paradise, now free to flourish without the corrupting touch of mankind ruining all in its wake.

To me, my favorite thing about the apocalypse is its form of pseudo-escapism, while still having remnants of the past hearkening to you, to give one hope that they start over again, better than the first time around.

I like the scenes of apocalyptic world. It makes me wonder what actually would happen if I were to survive the apocalypse, whatever it may be. Ice age, zombies, meteors, there are many kinds of apocalyptic world.

Pictures I saw a while back, half destroyed metropolises with plants taking their place. It seems peaceful and wonderful. I like those pictures.

Honestly, I've never played an apocalypse roleplay. I tried starting one a while back, Infection, which occurred in the beginning of a super-zombie outbreak. Back then, my favorite part was the power, the sheer force of nature bearing down on you as you struggle to stay alive.

Now, however, I have a different perspective. I no longer see an apocalypse in the same light as before, but more in the more literal meaning of the word: An uncovering, a revelation. To me, and especially in the context, this means a revelation of betrayals, new world orders, etc. Therefore, the most appealing thing to me are the cosmic ironies: Recently, I've developed multiple ideas (one that almost got off the ground, but had been shaky from the start) that involve the once-great heroes, who had been revered by all, turning on everything they created, destroying it all, and building it back up in the way they see fit, sometimes leaving the world in ruin. See where I'm going with that?

@The Philosoraptor

I'd love to play a game like that. I had an idea similar to that. There are Tale-Woven, creatures like humans who take characteristics of the legends told by humans, gradually turning into what the humans think they are, whether they want to or not.
Like a common theme would be lovers made to kill each other, because the humans made one a hero and one a demon through their words and tales weaving them into these creatures

Reactions: Minibit
Apocalyptic and post apocalyptic worlds aren't my favourites, really and I don't particularly like the idea of zombie apocalypses as roleplays (movies and the like are A+ though) but when I do get into them, I really like the idea that all the prejudices we think of today kindof have to break down and new barriers are put in their place; a world where dividing lines aren't between countries and cultures but between those who you trust and those who you don't.

I also like roleplaying people trying to survive and the idea of rebuilding something. It allows for a lot of character development and possibilities, not to mention the idea that if the world is scant in resources people are going to have to travel a lot-- it makes for easy adventures and conflict!

Mutants with tentacles, mad doctors whose bodies are entirelly made of tentacles, no need to stick to a certain fashion as every area is open to the merciless sun and heat, every few weeks a new "adventure" is engaged to look for food/water/supplies...

Status
Not open for further replies.