2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Douche
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy is my #1; I will give almost anything a chance if it has strong fantasy elements. Post apocalyptic, superhero, alternate history, science fantasy, some supernatural, romance, and a few fandoms (especially Game of Thrones) are also likely to catch my eye.
What is it about a fantasy setting that catches your eye? Are there any particular elements, tropes, or themes that you enjoy playing with and exploring in fantasy settings?

Also, yes, I am shamelessly ripping off the idea of the recent "what do you like in a <genre> setting?" threads @Minibit has made here in the Worldbuilding Guild. Deal with it. :bsmile:

-

The thing that tends to catch my attention the most is the setting's magic system. I've read books just because someone explained how magic works in them and I thought they were neat, and I've joined roleplays just because the magic system seems fun to play with.

Aside from fiddling with magic in general, I like playing with social classes in fantasy. I tend to purposely peg my characters as being from a specific social class, then I make sure their skills and experiences make sense for it. Since most fantasy tends to be set in pseudo-Medieval settings, I can get away with extremely class discrimination and it fits perfectly into the world. It brings an additional layer of conflict to the roleplay atop whatever else exists, and I find it rather fun.

I'm a bit mainstream, I like playing different species of character besides humans, or humans in a distinctly different situation than more modern/normal settings.

Like, I love it when I get a lot of new problems and cultural differences to work with; I can put an old character in a new shell and totally reinvent them because of these differences, and it's fun!

Oh gosh. I'll admit, most of my favorite worlds are my own, but one thing they have in common with the worlds of others I love? A magic system that is more involved than effortlessly throwing fireballs. I love magic systems that have detail, and where the system isn't used only when it's convenient. I love systems that make magic difficult to use, even if everyone has the capacity for it. I have to have each spell described in its use!

Next, I love taking humans as they are and displaying what makes us incredible-- creativity, quick learning, stamina, cunning. We're freaking badass, and nobody writes that aspect. I only have one world where humans do not exist, and humans are revered for their accomplishments.

Next thing I love? Much like Jorick, I adore differences in station. I love the idea that even though they may be hard-wired, all it takes is one outsider to get people who are stuck in them thinking. "Why do we worship the Empress, when all she does is sit?" "That stranger's right, a child doesn't deserve that treatment!"

On that note, I love watching things change-- better or worse. No world should be stagnant, and if it is, I want to be right there, watching it change, seeing the cause and effect that travel throughout it.

Sorry, I get a little excited. <3