What do y'all do to cheer yourselves up when you feel blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the circumstances. If I'm feeling stressed, angry, or frustrated, I'll often just bury myself in schoolwork (or some other productive activity) and get a bunch of that done. The satisfaction of checking things off my to-do list is rather calming, and it's a good use of my energy while I wait for myself to cool off. This one sort of depends on the time of day, though (or, more specifically, whether or not my meds have worn off yet). If I can't muster up the focus to be productive, then I'll probably distract myself with a video game or something. Less satisfying, but it works well enough at getting my mind off of it.

If it's something where I just feel... down, but it's like a dull sort of down where I don't feel sad enough to cry or even really want to vent, but also definitely feeling... sad as opposed to angry or frustrated, then I'll generally withdraw from online communication for a bit, voluntarily ignoring any new messages or posts on watched threads, and I'll distract myself with something that requires little mental effort and is easy to zone out to -- generally Youtube videos. When I feel like I don't have the energy or motivation to talk to people or invest myself in a video game or movie, it takes some easy viewing for me to take my mind off of whatever's bugging me. Generally, a bit of time poking around Youtube will distract me enough that I'll get over it.

And if I just feel like I need a good cry? Music often helps. I'll just shut myself away from any other electronics for a little while and just... listen to the music, and let myself be emotional. Hey Jude was sort of my go-to crying song for a while -- not just for the more obvious reasons, but also because there's this one point in the song where, if you listen really closely, you can just barely hear Paul mutter "fucking hell". It's hard to pick up on, but, once I was able to hear it, I just couldn't un-hear it. So, even though it was never at the front of my mind in times like these, it still always stood out to me when it came up, and I couldn't help but chuckle. XD Add to that the fact that the song is like 8 minutes long, and the end of it sounds considerably more uplifting than the earlier parts? I'm pretty much always feeling better by the end of it. It starts off as a good crying song to just let out some emotions with, and then it cheers me up just as I feel like I've gotten enough of it out. Given all of that, it's sort of unsurprising how it became my go-to choice. XD

Reactions: Brovo
I have multiple kinds of blue. Like really depressed, quiet, introverted and lazy blue, or simply bad and intrusive thoughts, physically sick blue. What I do varies between them.

I like to lay off all my worries and forget about everything about me, and watch gaming videos. Usually lighter/less serious or shorter games. Vinny and JSE really cheer me up with their jokes and enthusiasm about some things.
I also like watching "childish" movies which make me happy inside.

EDIT: or read a shitton of comics just because I can (thx internet).

I count my blessings!

I write down at least five good things that happened today or recently

I write down five things I like about myself

I watch or read something with a happy ending

I call my momma

I once had a job that was so bad I was having anxiety attacks at the mere thought of going back to work the next day, don't even get me started on how bad I got on Sundays. The day I was let go was probably the happiest day of my life and I celebrate it every year. Whenever I want to feel better, I just reminisce about that day and how I'll never have to look at my ex-boss' idiot face ever again and BAM, I feel a great deal better. I'm happier just writing this post, in fact.

I watch Sam Hyde

Kazoo Kid - Trap Remix 10 Hours

Really, though. Music in a dark room, all alone. I tend to withdraw until the feeling passes because everything pisses me off when I'm sad.

I count my blessings!

I write down at least five good things that happened today or recently

I write down five things I like about myself

I watch or read something with a happy ending

I call my momma
Reminds me of something my Rabbi tells my congregation every year when the high holidays roll around(I'm Jewish). She tells us that we are supposed to find one hundred things to bless everyday.

Reminds me of something my Rabbi tells my congregation every year when the high holidays roll around(I'm Jewish). She tells us that we are supposed to find one hundred things to bless everyday.
Used to get the same thing in children's church back when I was religious. One of few bits I kept.

There was a song:
Count your blessings
name them one by one
Count your blessings
see what God has done

Once Piece marathon
talk to a good friend

I like to keep myself busy when I'm blue but how I do so really depends on what exactly I'm feeling. Hikes are usually my first option since there are tons of places close to where I live or alternatively mess around on my guitar for hours. When it's something more than an afternoon or a few days I usually volunteer for overtime at work or find any other way to eat up my hours or go on a crazy baking spree. I'm currently in the middle of making cookies after this difficult week. I'm up to nine dozen snickerdoodle cookies so far and the only reason I've stopped is that I used up all my flour...

My last resort is taking mini road trip to the ocean. That seems to always work on resetting me no matter if it is the blues, anger or anything out of the ordinary.

This.

200w.gif

Except that cigarette is something a little more recreational.

1. Cats
  2. Cats
  3. Cats
  4. Cats
  5. Cats
  6. Cats
  7. Cats
  8. Cats
  9. Cats
  10. Cats
  11. Cats
  12. Cats
  13. Cats
  14. Cats
  15. Cats
  16. Cats
  17. Cats
  18. Cats
  19. Cats
  20. Cats
  21. Cats
  22. Cats
  23. Cats
  24. Cats
  25. Cats
  26. Cats
  27. Cats
  28. Cats
  29. Cats
  30. Cats
  31. Cats
  32. Cats
  33. Cats
  34. Cats
  35. Cats
  36. Cats
  37. Cats
  38. Cats
  39. Cats
  40. Cats
  41. Cats
  42. Cats
  43. Cats
  44. Cats
  45. Cats
  46. Cats
  47. Cats
  48. Cats
  49. Cats
  50. Cats
  51. Cats
  52. Cats
  53. Cats
  54. Cats
  55. Cats
  56. Cats
  57. Cats
  58. Cats
  59. Cats
  60. Cats
  61. Cats
  62. Cats
  63. Cats
  64. Cats
  65. Cats
  66. Cats
  67. Cats
  68. Cats
  69. Cats
  70. Cats
  71. Cats
  72. Cats
  73. Tits
  74. Cats
  75. Cats
  76. Cats
  77. Cats
  78. Cats
  79. Cats
  80. Cats
  81. Cats
  82. Cats
  83. Cats
  84. Cats
  85. Cats
  86. Cats
  87. Cats
  88. Cats
  89. Cats
  90. Cats
  91. Cats
  92. Cats
  93. Cats
  94. Cats
  95. Cats
  96. Cats
  97. Cats
  98. Cats
  99. Cats
  100. Cats

1. Cats
  2. Cats
  3. Cats
  4. Cats
  5. Cats
  6. Cats
  7. Cats
  8. Cats
  9. Cats
  10. Cats
  11. Cats
  12. Cats
  13. Cats
  14. Cats
  15. Cats
  16. Cats
  17. Cats
  18. Cats
  19. Cats
  20. Cats
  21. Cats
  22. Cats
  23. Cats
  24. Cats
  25. Cats
  26. Cats
  27. Cats
  28. Cats
  29. Cats
  30. Cats
  31. Cats
  32. Cats
  33. Cats
  34. Cats
  35. Cats
  36. Cats
  37. Cats
  38. Cats
  39. Cats
  40. Cats
  41. Cats
  42. Cats
  43. Cats
  44. Cats
  45. Cats
  46. Cats
  47. Cats
  48. Cats
  49. Cats
  50. Cats
  51. Cats
  52. Cats
  53. Cats
  54. Cats
  55. Cats
  56. Cats
  57. Cats
  58. Cats
  59. Cats
  60. Cats
  61. Cats
  62. Cats
  63. Cats
  64. Cats
  65. Cats
  66. Cats
  67. Cats
  68. Cats
  69. Cats
  70. Cats
  71. Cats
  72. Cats
  73. Tits
  74. Cats
  75. Cats
  76. Cats
  77. Cats
  78. Cats
  79. Cats
  80. Cats
  81. Cats
  82. Cats
  83. Cats
  84. Cats
  85. Cats
  86. Cats
  87. Cats
  88. Cats
  89. Cats
  90. Cats
  91. Cats
  92. Cats
  93. Cats
  94. Cats
  95. Cats
  96. Cats
  97. Cats
  98. Cats
  99. Cats
  100. Cats
Lol #73

1. Cats
  2. Cats
  3. Cats
  4. Cats
  5. Cats
  6. Cats
  7. Cats
  8. Cats
  9. Cats
  10. Cats
  11. Cats
  12. Cats
  13. Cats
  14. Cats
  15. Cats
  16. Cats
  17. Cats
  18. Cats
  19. Cats
  20. Cats
  21. Cats
  22. Cats
  23. Cats
  24. Cats
  25. Cats
  26. Cats
  27. Cats
  28. Cats
  29. Cats
  30. Cats
  31. Cats
  32. Cats
  33. Cats
  34. Cats
  35. Cats
  36. Cats
  37. Cats
  38. Cats
  39. Cats
  40. Cats
  41. Cats
  42. Cats
  43. Cats
  44. Cats
  45. Cats
  46. Cats
  47. Cats
  48. Cats
  49. Cats
  50. Cats
  51. Cats
  52. Cats
  53. Cats
  54. Cats
  55. Cats
  56. Cats
  57. Cats
  58. Cats
  59. Cats
  60. Cats
  61. Cats
  62. Cats
  63. Cats
  64. Cats
  65. Cats
  66. Cats
  67. Cats
  68. Cats
  69. Cats
  70. Cats
  71. Cats
  72. Cats
  73. Tits
  74. Cats
  75. Cats
  76. Cats
  77. Cats
  78. Cats
  79. Cats
  80. Cats
  81. Cats
  82. Cats
  83. Cats
  84. Cats
  85. Cats
  86. Cats
  87. Cats
  88. Cats
  89. Cats
  90. Cats
  91. Cats
  92. Cats
  93. Cats
  94. Cats
  95. Cats
  96. Cats
  97. Cats
  98. Cats
  99. Cats
  100. Cats
That's a lot of pussy.

Oh I also listen to these on repeat.

This one if I'm mostly just sad.

This one if I'm sad but also kinda mad.

I like to write stories about what's swirling in my mind, or I play with my piano... When I really get down, I turn to RPing. I also talk to my mother; she's probably the only friend I can trust.

If I need to talk it out then I try to find someone who can solve the thoughts effectively. Since my friend's are better at helping me with different situations it really depends on who is available and if the go to friend isn't, then I just try another way to cope.

Sometimes I just go ahead and cry or scream into my pillow just to get the emotions out. Bottling it up just worsens the whole thing.

If I have anything in mind to distract myself I do it. With each person it'll be different. I tend to listen to music, play some video games, get on youtube and look at some funny videos, shower, watch tv.

Though most of the time my go to coping mechanism is to sleep. I never understood why it helped until recently. It kinda just hit me one day. When we sleep our brain sorts out information. So I guess when I sleep my brain just sorts out the problem. I wake up feeling better and have a solution or two for the source of my blue feelings.

You'll find what works best for you after experiencing a few ways. Some things work for me while other's may have a different go to method.

Manipulate it to my advantage such as writing characters and scenes, most days.

Like Opal I let myself feel it but I don't let it beat me. I use it as a tool to create shit like art pieces and written work.

I've been dealing with depression and anxiety quite a bit lately, so I should probably expand on my list of all the things I've been doing.

• Taking walks with my husband
  • Watching Friends, Last Week Tonight, Spaceballs, and anything that makes me laugh.
  • Baking lots of cookies, cakes, and monkey break.
  • Cuddling with my cat
  • Talking to my aunt on the phone as much as possible
  • Watching horror movies (Not sure why, but I always feel better after being creeped out. o.O)

Status
Not open for further replies.