What did you learn today?

• Thread starter Disgruntled Goat
  • Start date
Only one O ring is ever needed at anytime for a specific groove. More so will result in operation failure.

I learned that, despite not having watched it for over twenty years, I still remember - and recognise - the Mr. Benn theme song.

I learned that sleep deprivation greatly affects how I perceive the passing of time, as well as other things.

Reactions: Kairia
That I apparently have a lot more friends than I had originally anticipated.

That followin a ferret into new lands might lead to new discoveries. But that I should stop stalking people, pretending I am their friend.

Did I say that last part out loud?

I've learned that I can not hold others to my level of standards. It will end badly. I have an intern/assistant who has never had a job before. As some of you may know, I enjoy helping others in the business world. She is taking the whole thing for granted and does not want to work at all. If I hold her to my standards she will quit. If I don't challenge her she gets nothing from the experience. What to do....what to do...

I've learned that I can not hold others to my level of standards. It will end badly. I have an intern/assistant who has never had a job before. As some of you may know, I enjoy helping others in the business world. She is taking the whole thing for granted and does not want to work at all. If I hold her to my standards she will quit. If I don't challenge her she gets nothing from the experience. What to do....what to do...
If she really doesn't want to work, then it sounds like she's lazy and will probably be dismissed. If you work her to your standards then she'll complain and quit, but at least she'll learn something. She'll go into another job and probably do the same thing, and, unsurprisingly, she'll get the same result. She'll either come to realise her error at some point and start to buckle down, or she'll declare that the job role she's applying for sucks, and she'll try her hand at something else that she might be better suited to. You can't save them all from themselves.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 people
If she really doesn't want to work, then it sounds like she's lazy and will probably be dismissed. If you work her to your standards then she'll complain and quit, but at least she'll learn something. She'll go into another job and probably do the same thing, and, unsurprisingly, she'll get the same result. She'll either come to realise her error at some point and start to buckle down, or she'll declare that the job role she's applying for sucks, and she'll try her hand at something else that she might be better suited to. You can't save them all from themselves.

Yes, she is very lazy, and I blame it on the parents. Less and less are parents instilling hard work, and good work ethics into their kids. I believe it to be a result of our instant gratification type of lifestyle many are accustomed to here in the US. I don't mind pushing her to the potential I know she can reach. However, I would like to do it in a way where she understands what I'm doing and why. Although, I think you're right. I just need to do it. She will prove herself, one way or the other. I would just love it if she grasped the importance of it all.

Yes, she is very lazy, and I blame it on the parents. Less and less are parents instilling hard work, and good work ethics into their kids. I believe it to be a result of our instant gratification type of lifestyle many are accustomed to here in the US. I don't mind pushing her to the potential I know she can reach. However, I would like to do it in a way where she understands what I'm doing and why. Although, I think you're right. I just need to do it. She will prove herself, one way or the other. I would just love it if she grasped the importance of it all.
Well, I don't know all the details of this situation, but could you try taking her to one side and having a private discussion about it? I don't know how long this girl has been working under you, but, say it's been a week or a month, and maybe set it out as a sort of informal review of how things are going for her? Then you can (politely) explain that you think she's going to have to work harder if she wants to have a future at the company? I'm a bit too blunt to manage that sort of conversation myself, but I'm sure there are ways of phrasing it better.

If you started the meeting by asking for her opinions, you might even get something more out of it yourself? Perhaps there is a reason, or maybe she's already unhappy and then you can just have a mutual parting instead of having to draw it out until she hands in her notice or someone sacks her? I just think that, by taking her aside and having an open chat with her, then she might at least appreciate the respect that you're showing her?

Or, you know, just staple a pink slip to the back of her coat on the way home tomorrow night. Either way.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 people
Haha I like your latter idea @Disgruntled Goat .

Unfortunately, one of my faults is my lack of proper communication. I recognize it could be better and I try. I seem to always come off harsh and like I'm reprimanding rather than caring and concerned. At least I know what I need to work on myself. Thank you for your advice. It's much appreciated. :)

Haha I like your latter idea @Disgruntled Goat .

Unfortunately, one of my faults is my lack of proper communication. I recognize it could be better and I try. I seem to always come off harsh and like I'm reprimanding rather than caring and concerned. At least I know what I need to work on myself. Thank you for your advice. It's much appreciated. :)
You see, I tended to be like that a lot, and I still do things like that if I don't watch myself. Having a deep, slightly quiet voice doesn't help.
The easiest way, for me, is to use as few words as possible, and speak offhandedly about important topics. The longer you talk, and the smaller words you use, the less invested you seem in the topic; the less invested you seem, the more likely people are to dismiss your tone of voice.
Depends on the company, though.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
I've learned Disgruntled Goat has good advice.

Reactions: Dioxyne
You see, I tended to be like that a lot, and I still do things like that if I don't watch myself. Having a deep, slightly quiet voice doesn't help.
The easiest way, for me, is to use as few words as possible, and speak offhandedly about important topics. The longer you talk, and the smaller words you use, the less invested you seem in the topic; the less invested you seem, the more likely people are to dismiss your tone of voice.
Depends on the company, though.
Thanks for the advice! Thankfully I don't have a deep voice :)

I learnt the difference between lamb and mutton OuO

and then i got confused between the two again. wow that made me sound stupid

I learned that the FBI will send you paperwork to help protect you if there is an investigation they need your cooperation in! 8D

I learned that my wife is awesome.

Hmm. Better not let her know you just found that out.....

Today I learned I am growing older as my propensity for hangovers has increased.

I learned that where I live, it's cheaper to buy three times as much pork as I would fish, wherein where I grew up as a young child, it was three times cheaper to buy fish than it was pork. Amazing how the prices of even basic commodities can fluctuate to such a degree.