FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Usually every day, but I often don't like posting every day.
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
Genres
Fantasy, modern fantasy, high fantasy, romance, slice of life, sci-fi, grimdark, light fandoms (next gen, non canon chars, etc)
The white haired gentleman sat in his library, which was empty for the most part. It usually was, considering all of the new technology that let people read books on telephones and computers, and those who didn't read books at all. He still had some everyday customers, often people in their old age who were just as confused about technology as he was. He looked out at the few people who were browsing through the collection of books. The only other people besides the people looking at books were two other workers, putting books back from the previous day. He manned the counter for the most part. He looked down to the book he was reading, realizing he wasn't actually reading it more than he was just looking at the pages and not absorbing any information. The tended to happen when one got to a certain age and had read almost every book in existence. Sighing, he closed said book, and placed it on the counter in front of him.

As soon as Mark set the book down onto the counter, a small tingle went up his spine and stopped in his head as a small humming feel. He looked up with sorrow. Someone was dying. He stood, waving over the middle-aged woman who worked for him.

"Nancy, I need to step out. I should be back shortly. If not, make sure everything gets locked up tonight." The curly-haired brunette simply nodded, going back to her work. Mark stepped outside, running a hand through his hair and straightening his suit jacket. He always wanted to look presentable to those he ushered to the afterlife.

His sense told him that the dying person was in the hospital, which made sense. The hospital was practically his second home now. He had made sure to found the library nearby, in fact, so it wasn't such a long distance to walk. A bit lazy on his part, but it was effective. It was a five minute walk to where he needed to be. He didn't even have to use his abilities to get there quicker.

Stepping into the building that smelled of death, Mark made sure to make himself invisible before entering. It made things much easier if he didn't need to speak with the receptionists. He moved quickly, finding the room which he needed. The door was closed. He turned himself intangible as well, moving easily into the room. He looked to the young woman on the bed, moving over to her side. He waited for the family to finish saying goodbye to their daughter as her life force ebbed away. She would pass without him needing to do anything to her, and it would be peaceful. This would end up a simple one.

He looked at her chart which was hanging nearby. Alice was her name. He watched the grieving family surrounding her. It once brought a tear to his eye to see families distraught over death, but he became used to it, and indeed knew that meant the person in question was deeply loved. What still made him emotional were those who died alone, knowing that no one ever loved them, not even enough to be with them in their last moments.

After some time, he could feel her soul leaving her body. He would now be visible to her, and her only. He turned to her spirit, holding out a hand.

"Hello Miss Alice." He greeted her with a kindly smile. "It looks like I have the honor of transporting you to your afterlife." He was very good at seeming non-threatening, especially to those who were good in life. He could tell that she was indeed a kind soul. "Please do not be afraid. I am not one to be feared." He motioned his hand, a small glimmer of distortion appearing in front of them. "If you will follow me, we will get you started in your new life."

@Seihou

• Love
Reactions: Seihou Wukong
Alice awakened from a weird state. She felt like she had taken a deep sleep, and now she doesn't remember where she was or how she got there. Alice was about to freak out when a stranger greeted her with a smile. She was about to respond, when she realized what he had said.

Wait, did he just say afterlife?!

Speechless and in shock, Alice opened her mouth to say something and quickly shut it. She patted herself down nervously, and cried out. "Wh-What?? Wait, something is definitely wrong! I can't go yet!" She exclaimed, beginning to breathe heavily. One glance at her dead body was all it took to make her stop in her tracks. Getting up now, she stumbled over to her body and covered her mouth with her hands in disbelief. Seeing her family mourning for her was one of the most disorienting things she's done so far. What is happening?! Something is very wrong with this picture. Alice slowly and shakily backed away from the scene, turning back to the friendly stranger.

"I-I can't leave! Something is very wrong! I-I can't leave!" Alice repeated, her eyes threatening to well up as she shook. "I-I can't go, my family needs me! I-I have something I have to do!" She said with an urgent tone. "Please don't take me away yet, I beg of you!"