What are the most important lessons you've learned in life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get rid of toxic people without hesitation.

Unlike what the Pharaohs led people to believe, you can't take anything with you when you die-- nor do you get a second chance at life.

You can spend your entire life making a metaphorical statue to the way you lived, the things you believed in and the things you had, but statues crumble under the sands of time.

The world outside is massive, and each individual in here is an endless ocean of interest and wonder; you only have one path through life, so make sure the path hits as many scenic routes as you can.

I have a lot more of these saved up from freshman philosophy classes, but this should be enough for now.

1. Learn to budget

2. When possible remove the toxic people from your life. Also remove yourself from toxic environments.

3. You are not entitled to NOT having your feelings hurt. It's going to happen. Learn how to deal with it responsibly

4. The best people in your life can come from unexpected places

5. Self respect should always matter more than the opinions of other people. You have to live with you and the consequences of your own actions. other people do not.

6. It's okay to ask for help.

7. Listen to your gut instincts

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Don't take the moment for granted, because it might not happen again. Enjoy it to the fullest. Take pictures of it, because those and the memories are all you'll have. And memories fade a lot quicker than digital photos.

Listen only to what your heart tells you. And maybe, the advice of those you consider important (only once thoroughly vetted, though).

Sometimes, following your professional dreams isn't the best path. Following the money, job security, and location are better... you can find happiness in your free time after all, there's a reason we call it "work" and not "play".

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Mari
Be yourself in all that you say and do, whether it is for work or for fun.

And always have a plan because life happens so quickly, without a plan things will be missed and regrets will be many :D

Scale down. The truth is that you're small. If you attempt to search for meaning in the grand scale of things, nothing awaits you but nihilism. Yet you are conscious and have feelings. Instead of letting the unfathomable rule you; embrace your time and place. Embrace your tiny little fraction of life and work to be happy in it. For all the other billions of things that make up this universe along with you, they're rather small too. So zoom in on your own life and that of those you hold dear. You might not have a view on everything, but what you see will be clearer.

Accept your own humanity. Don't use it as an excuse to never improve yourself, but recognise your flaws and don't beat yourself up over them. Recognise you are just this tiny thing and what you can do is limited. No matter how infuriating your lack of power in this world may be. You are not an unbreakable fortress. You are not a miracle cure. You are not capable of seeing the future. You are human and that is okay.

Accept the humanity of others. Disgust is often a projection and hypocrisy is part of our nature as a pack animal. Try to perceive before you judge. If you judge. We are very flawed things and nothing will ever be perfect. Not you. Not your loved ones. Not your enemies. Not the world. Regardless they exist. Ask yourself, always, before trying to make change; is that so wrong? To love is to respect the rights of others, even if they do stupid things with these rights. Don't try to change everything, only work on bettering what is truly important.

You can't fix others and you can't help people unwilling to help their selves. This goes for you too. If you want to change, you must make the effort. People can help you as a crutch, but they cannot be your strength. Without agency, you are nothing.

Compromise is the fairest way of giving nobody what they want. Avoid it where possible. Go for consensus. It will take more time, it will cost you more effort and energy, but the end result is almost always better. Speak, listen, think.

Last edited:
No matter how deeply you may care about something or someone, and no matter how good your intentions are, you cannot make someone change.

Reactions: Brovo and Astaroth
People die. You are always going to face it. Everyone you know is going to die. And there's nothing you can do to stop it. You can delay it, but it's going to happen sooner or later.

Death is part of your life, it is life. It's inevitable. Don't try to beat it, you can't. Live life, love it and love the people in it. Death isn't bad, it's not good. It's death, and like life it has the bittersweet taste to it. Mourn for those lost to you, but never forget them. Cherish them, cry, get it all out.

Tell those still with you what they need to hear because you might not get a second chance to do it. Whether it is confronting them about something, if you care work that shit through. Even if you can't, you won't regret not saying anything. There is so much I wish that I could have told Trevor and Eegie. Shit I wish I got off my back, things I wish I had told them like I loved them. Dearly. I took them for granted, and I lost them. I learned to let go of petty quarrels and try to work through the heaps of shit that I have with people in my life.

Don't hold onto anger, you spend too much energy on your hate than your joy. Shit hurts, always will. But get your feet up and keep on moving. You can't bring any of them back, and you will drown in your thoughts when you refuse to move on. I know that it hurts, I know that you are stuck in a hard and dark place, but keep moving.

Don't ever hate; I could have hated many for what they did. Instead I love those I am close to so much more because I don't want to turn into the same person that hurt me, I want to show that they haven't controlled me.

Give without condition and love without strings.

No matter how low your life might seem to get, there's always someone else who's got it worse off than you do.

If it sounds too good to be true, it most definitely is, and you should run as far as you can without looking back.

Laughing is always better when you have someone to laugh with you.

No matter how pissed off your kids might make you, you'll forget about it in an instant the minute you think about something bad happening to them.

Forgiving someone never really fixes the problems. Sometimes it's just better to let go and move on.

When something ends and you try to go back to it, you'll never quite be as attached to it as you were the first time.

You're never too old to try new thing.

The first ten years of marriage are the hardest.

And those are the only ones I can think of at this moment.

Reactions: Hatsune Candy
Naps are evil. Don't give in to them, ever.

Don't depend on other people to be happy. more importantly, if your not happy don't think a relationship will magically solve your issues. Fix your life, be happy with yourself and everything else will fall into place.

• Have lots of concrete evidence that you can trust a person before you give them sensitive information
  • It's okay to meditate on a problem before articulating it, but don't pretend something is okay if it's not
  • Don't waste your love on people who don't care about you, but at the same time, carefully define what 'not caring' means, and make sure you aren't demonstrating the same behaviours yourself
  • Don't believe everything you read or hear - even if it comes from someone you usually trust.
  • Believing nothing is just as bad as believing everything
  • "Don't care what others think" is too general and - depending who you ask - functionally impossible. You're allowed to want to please others, to be loved, to want to be understand and participate in what others like, and to fit in, but don't sacrifice what brings you happiness for what other people think
  • People do not think about you as much as you think they do. Seriously, while you're busy worrying that everyone will think you're childish for loving Pokemon at 25 or that people will think you can't dress yourself because your hoodie's been inside out all day, everyone around you was too busy worrying about their own stuff to care.
  • Always have a clear - or as close to clear as you can manage - grasp of what you want. It's allowed to change, but check in on it habitually to make sure you know what you want right now. It's easy to find yourself in an "I should be happy but I'm not" place because you're chasing after or hanging onto something and didn't realize that it's no longer what you want"
  • Always try new things. Always. Don't get stagnant.
  • It's okay to suck at things. Moreover, it's possible to be bad at something and still enjoy it. There is almost never a rule that you have to be good at something to participate in it.
  • Don't ever let anyone tell you what box you do or don't fit in. Basically let yourself feel pressured to fit someone else's idea of what you should be. You are allowed to fit in many boxes. You are allowed to move between boxes. You are allowed to turn the boxes upside down and make a fort. Just do you.
  • Respect is not compulsory, but that doesn't give you the right to be an asshole. Authority figures may not necessarily have earned your respect, but for the sake of order they do demand your obedience

People do not think about you as much as you think they do. Seriously, while you're busy worrying that everyone will think you're childish for loving Pokemon at 25 or that people will think you can't dress yourself because your hoodie's been inside out all day, everyone around you was too busy worrying about their own stuff to care.
Oh, yeah, this. I can't believe I didn't think to post this, myself. But yeah, I totally agree.

You can't save them all, and sometimes trying to save them makes them worse off than they would be if you hadn't. Learn when to let go and learn to be at peace with the decision to let go.

1. No one will love you like you love yourself.
2. No one will hate you like you hate yourself.
3. Don't try to appeal to the masses, they don't care about you.
4. Don't get a job at Walmart.
5. If think you can do it, then do it.
6. Visit the world, it'd be a shame to die not being on different soil.
7. Try and be a little more aware of cultures before you accidentally offend an old Portugese man and he curses you out. Learned that from experience.
8. Get good friends, they count more than fake ones.
9. Don't just move to the suburbs and grow old, that's boring.
10. Listen to different music genres, watch differents sports, watch different shows, live a different life than what's deemed desired by society.
11. Don't do drugs.
12. Be a meme.

Status
Not open for further replies.