What advice would you give your younger self?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I honestly would. Because if one thing I did, or one thing about me was different... would I be where I am now? Who I am now?

Granted I have so much I would want to say. But should/would I? That is another story

The real problem is, I doubt younger me would much listen to older me. I certainly didn't listen when teachers and parents gave advice that I would now give prior me. However, there are some things I would tell myself that no one else did:
  • College is mostly worthless. Go for the classes you want, but more importantly use it to get a large network of people. Who you know will open more doors than what you know.
  • Don't bother with classes that you know you won't do the work for. English class is the primary reason you won't get a 4.0 GPA.
  • Yes, leave the homebuilding workforce before the 2008 crash, no don't do it based on a promised job from Jessie.
  • Call your grandparents more often. They're always so happy to hear from you, and everyone deserves a little more happiness.

Reactions: Hollow Egg
  • Love
Reactions: Darog
Watch Doctor Who right now. Don't wait. It'll open your eyes to different perspectives and spawn a beautiful passion for life, history, and general knowledge. It'll also make you cry...we can work on that.

Fuck your knees, they aren't that injured.

Engineering is awful, you'll hate it.

So, there is a song that pretty much says everything about my thoughts on this topic, and it even sums up things you guys said! It is a Christian song, but the content is solid, and I implore you to listen to it.

Anyway, I do have advice I would want to give younger me. I don't know if I actually would. As many of you have said, and the song, the choices that younger me made are the choices that have made current me. Honestly, I am pretty happy with current me even though I still need some work, but I think people never stop needing work in some area or another.

• 8th grade is going to be hard. Don't let the rumors become you. Also, don't talk about pity dating Tyler in a three way conversation with Tyler. Don't break up with Travis. Current you will strongly believe you guys would still be together. Hold on harder to your friendship with Chelsea. Make an effort to know your grandfather because by sophomore year of high school you won't have him.
  • High school! Grasp it! Don't be scared to try out for sports and get into clubs. FINISH SOCCER TRYOUTS. Don't hand out a juicy piece of gossip about Phoebe.. she's you're best friend. Compromising yourself for the sake of fitting in and having stories to tell isn't worth it. Please, don't lead Travis on, be above that. Making Crystal and Phoebe sleep on the floor of the hotel room they helped paid for is a low move.. avoid it.
  • College is something you shouldn't fritter away. Current you is still trying to fix the GPA you ruined. Notice how I didn't mention Matt? Current you wouldn't change that time. But, be strong. Stand up for what you believe and stand up for yourself. Love yourself because you're worth it. Comparing yourself to every other person isn't going to get you anywhere. You need to be comfortable in your own skin. Be more open and honest with people about how you're feeling, what you're thinking, and your needs. BE CONFIDENT.
Current me still needs to grasp that last paragraph a little better >.>

Reactions: Kehvarl
Reactions: Celest
The world's a tough place and you won't be able to make everyone happy, you won't be able to make everyone smile, you're going to be taken for granted.

But many people have it worse than you.

So don't worry about those who don't give a crap about you. Do what you have to, keep true to yourself, be positive and be there for those who care about you.
My younger self was actually very aware of 'but many people have it worse than you.' I'm still aware of that, obviously.

Instead I interpreted it in a very bad and selfish way, though. So, be careful what advice you give your past self <.< or maybe everyone's just a way better person than I am. For everyone who has it worse, there's always someone better!

All the advice I would give my past self would be on roleplaying, actually. Lots and lots of advice, like 'Don't think people will come to you and don't get depressed thinking you have to find people, dummy'

Oh, and 'there's always something better to find. So don't get so depressed if the current situation falls through.'

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Go out more. Not talking just clubs with your friends, but out to enjoy nature. Find a spot makes you feel and makes you think.

Communicate.

"Oi, oi, OI YOU FACKIN PLONKA! dont stick yer willy in a shouty mad fucker!"

Is what comes to mind.

I think I would tell my younger self to not date until I was at least 20, maybe even 25. I started dating at 18 and that kid(along with his group of friends) basically turned me into an outcast in my own city. I have never said "It's a small world..." so often in my life Everyone seems to know everyone where I live, forget the fact it's a pretty big place. Not only did my second boyfriend know that group too, but so did my 3rd and 4th boyfriends. My social life only got worse after each one.

So 17 year old me... Stay the FUCK away from Kyle. He will only lead you to a chain of cluster fucks! lmao

Stick with it. Don't give in. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, just keep pushing for it. It gets better.

Wear gloves and a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.