We've All Encountered It At Least Once...

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you been a victim of hate in the community you're in?
Yep XD
The first example is Sonic. I'm one of the Sonic adventure fans. Problem? People these days hate the adventure fans. Though identifying who hates that part is difficult as most the hate came from when Nintendo fans came over to Sonic when the dreamcast died and adventure was ported to gamecube. On the other hand though, I haven't been shamed for it by the Nintendo fan section, but the more classic section, and that's because when the Nintendo fanbase came into Sonics, the Nintendo fanboys were kinda responsible for Sonic's down hill, which got the sega fans salty (You wouldn't believe just how in-depth all this goes XD Lots of domino effects, lots of cause and effect)

The second is Starfox. I'm somewhat of a Krystal fan. Lots o potential, an entire back story screaming to be a main plot of a game, And the first character to ever make me go a bit furry. But not many people in the starfox fandom like Krystal, and think that she's the reason for the downfall of the starfox series. I also get quite a bit of hate for liking starfox Assault. Those classic fans (Ones who only like starfox SNES and 64) can be quite cruel o.o

Mass effect- That's right, I LIKE mass effect 3. It's gameplay is superior than 2. In fact, I like the over all game better than 2 except for the ending. But a simple little mod fixes that right up ^^ As you can imagine, there's quite a bit of hate. Well deserved though, that original ending hurt allot of people o.o

Smash community- I LIKE super smash bros brawl. Enough said right? Not quite done yet, I also don't like Project M. NOW enough said XD

Saits row- There are 6 kinds of people in this world. The ones who like all of them, the ones who only like 1 and 2, the ones who like 3 and 4, the ones who like 3, and the ones who like 4, and the people who like none of them. I like all of them. BUT I like 3. This makes the likers of the first two quite salty.

Have you been the hater? Why?
Yep XD
Sonic- FUCK "Sonic Shuffle". SOMEHOW that is one of my friends favorite sonic games. I give him shit for that all the time XD Also a bit to people that like Sonic 2. That game is BOOOORRRRIIIINNNNGGGG. Of course that's more of a joking hate, not really true hate XD

Smash community- So much crap to my friends for liking project M XD Like I HATE so many of those people. Granted it's because of the shit they give me. They are such judgmental pricks. They sit there and call a broken game STILL IN BETA perfect. That game is far from perfect, granted it's been getting closer to what I would consider good, but it's not quite there yet. Here's a fun conversation with someone about smash

Them-"I can tell that by the way you type, you're not very good at the game, so all of your minor complaints are meaningless as you don't know what you're talking about"
And i'm sitting here like "I'm better than my friend who got second place in a tournament DX And he was playing the BAD way during the tournament meaning that he coulda got first if he used his other way of playing, meaning that I coulda got first place too >.< And that's WITH the things I don't like getting in my way."

So all the hate I give them is mostly just retaliation XD But hate none the less.

What do you think we could do to mend the problems between those in the community or those outside of it?
There is none. People hold these things close to their hearts. so close that when you call project M a bad game, you're also calling them a bad person because project M is such a big part of their life and/or personality. The only way to prevent in series hate is if the series stays pretty much perfect. Blazblue for example, all 3 games have been master pieces in the eyes of the players (For the most part) So there has been no fanbase division per se and if there is, the people understand the division and don't see it as something to hate on.

Reactions: SacredWarrior
I tend not to get involved in fan communities for things I like because they will inevitably attract and nuture the most entitled shits you can imagine and the zealots.

When you are so obsessed with something you start to target people because their interests even within that fandom don't entirely allign with your own, you are an asshole who needs to get outside more and take up a hobby that isn't having a Gollum-like obsession for a franchise.

The whole reason I left BioWare Social Network was for every nugget of gold, be it a comedy thing, fan art, theory discussion, or whatever, there were a million threads demanding unreasonable things from the developers, including plot changes, giving really minor NPCs a fleshed out story, arguing with other fans about inconsequential shit with the same obsession like anti-vaxxers, and proclaiming they'll never buy another BioWare game because they were betrayed by Mass Effect 3's ending and other really overdramatic bullshit.

I decided from that point on, joining fan communities is way more negative and toxic than it is fun. The fact this thread exists is a testament to that fact.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Dervish
Seeing as how I've had hate thrown at me for my opinions in the gaming and anime fandoms, yeah the salt is real. But I usually just shut them up and put them in their place.

As for being the hater, yeah I will admit that I despise the FF7 fanboys, Super Smash Bros Melee/Project M fanboys, Saints Row 2 fanatics, and all other types of fanboys. Keep in mind that I said fanboys NOT FANS! There's a difference. And I despise most AAA games nowadays and hate that amazing developers like Platinum sell like shit. As for anime, I despise the sub elitists. Need I say more about those fools?

Reactions: Shadon Xarian
The Godzilla community hates the 1998 American Godzilla movie to the point where they make up derogatory names for the Godzilla in the movie, but its my favorite Godzilla movie. That's something you absolutely do not admit to the fandom, though. They will eat you alive like rabid hyenas and show no mercy.

The Godzilla community hates the 1998 American Godzilla movie to the point where they make up derogatory names for the Godzilla in the movie, but its my favorite Godzilla movie. That's something you absolutely do not admit to the fandom, though. They will eat you alive like rabid hyenas and show no mercy.
That one's so strong Monster Wars itself chipped into it.

yeah I will admit that I despise the FF7 fanboys,
Oh yeah, FF7 DX. I TRIED to like that game. I spent a good hour grinding, and then died to this mini boss who shows up before the pressure turning thingy. So then I rage quit, played it again waaayyyy later on, and the mini boss didn't show up the second time -.- But t'was boring so I quit for good XD

Well apparently one does not simply quit playing FF7 due to it being boring. So not only do I miss out on experiencing the story, but I get allot o hate too. Lets hope that the remake maybe fixes my problems as most remakes tend to do.

hate that amazing developers like Platinum sell like shit
I just looked at their game list and you're right o.o HOW DO THEY SELL LIKE CRAP????? The only two that are questionable are the ones that activation was involved with XD (And I suppose technically wonderful 101) But those rest are SUPER solid games. I'm in the middle of revengence, CANT wait to get bayonetta 1 and 2 on WiiU (Once/if I get a wiiU in the first place DX) And I didn't know that platinum did mad world so now i'm even more inclined to get that game.

But i'm not so innocent XP I'm a halo fanboy, and I question peoples entertainment when they can say they don't like metroid prime or mass effect with a straight face XD Yep, I'm one of
those fools

People are assholes, that's a fact. I do hate some communities, but I keep my mouth shut and try my best to avoid them. Too bad humans are infinitely stupid.

Oh yeah, FF7 DX. I TRIED to like that game. I spent a good hour grinding, and then died to this mini boss who shows up before the pressure turning thingy. So then I rage quit, played it again waaayyyy later on, and the mini boss didn't show up the second time -.- But t'was boring so I quit for good XD

Well apparently one does not simply quit playing FF7 due to it being boring. So not only do I miss out on experiencing the story, but I get allot o hate too. Lets hope that the remake maybe fixes my problems as most remakes tend to do.

I just looked at their game list and you're right o.o HOW DO THEY SELL LIKE CRAP????? The only two that are questionable are the ones that activation was involved with XD (And I suppose technically wonderful 101) But those rest are SUPER solid games. I'm in the middle of revengence, CANT wait to get bayonetta 1 and 2 on WiiU (Once/if I get a wiiU in the first place DX) And I didn't know that platinum did mad world so now i'm even more inclined to get that game.

But i'm not so innocent XP I'm a halo fanboy, and I question peoples entertainment when they can say they don't like metroid prime or mass effect with a straight face XD Yep, I'm one of
I've seen some people say it's a curse since PlatinumGames was founded by the three key members of Clover Studios and many former Clover employees work there. As I'm sure you may know, Clover was responsible for critically acclaimed titles like Viewtiful Joe and Okami but they sold terribly which lead to Crapcom shutting them down. If their games are so wonderfully received, why do they sell so bad? One could argue advertising issues since I don't think PG has enough for all of that.

I thought Metroid Prime was loved by everyone O_O I know it got a LOT of hate when it was first announced but when it came out, everyone changed their minds. As for Mass Effect, I never really played any of the games but might give them a try one day.

I've seen some people say it's a curse since PlatinumGames was founded by the three key members of Clover Studios and many former Clover employees work there. As I'm sure you may know, Clover was responsible for critically acclaimed titles like Viewtiful Joe and Okami but they sold terribly which lead to Crapcom shutting them down. If their games are so wonderfully received, why do they sell so bad? One could argue advertising issues since I don't think PG has enough for all of that.
They also made Okami????!!!! Suddenly I like platinum even more, and now I REALLY feel for them DX
Lack of advertisement makes sense. The only advertisement I've ever seen for a platinum games game was Bayonetta 2. I never got an interest for viewitful Joe for some reason, something about it just never caught my interest.

I thought Metroid Prime was loved by everyone O_O

The classic metroid fans who only like the 2D metroids would LOVE to have a... Discussion with you about that >:D

They also made Okami????!!!! Suddenly I like platinum even more, and now I REALLY feel for them DX
Lack of advertisement makes sense. The only advertisement I've ever seen for a platinum games game was Bayonetta 2. I never got an interest for viewitful Joe for some reason, something about it just never caught my interest.

The classic metroid fans who only like the 2D metroids would LOVE to have a... Discussion with you about that >:D
Well they're a small independent company so money is probably pretty tight for them as it is. Also isn't it the publisher's job to advertise the games and not the developers?

I've seen many people who enjoy the 2D Metroids but also enjoy the Prime trilogy. That face scared me XD

Everyone else has already about reiterated my opinions on this topic, but more or less:

You like what you like, and you don't like what you don't like. Don't bother wasting your energy arguing on internet trolls or haters who get off on ruffling your feathers; by fighting them and responding to them you are actually making the problem worse. Ignore them and do what you can to focus on the good of things. Eventually, the haters get bored and decide they'd rather harass someone else or do something else.

Likewise, don't bother wasting your time trying to hate on something either. Just as you like what you like, so does everyone else, and it's not anyone's place to judge them for it.

Well they're a small independent company so money is probably pretty tight for them as it is. Also isn't it the publisher's job to advertise the games and not the developers?
As far as i'm aware you're right. That's also one pretty big problem with sega is that they don't advertise their games... Well the ones that actually need advertising anyway XD Sure they advertise Sonic (Kinda) but that is sega's ONE SERIES that doesn't need much advertisement because it's being watched. Project diva F on the other hand, I didn't even know about it till sega forums was like "Vote for project diva F to come to america :D" And Miku flick I kinda stumbled upon by accident on the IOS store curious if there's any Miku stuffs on IOS.

I've seen many people who enjoy the 2D Metroids but also enjoy the Prime trilogy. That face scared me XD
And i'm one of those XD But once you get deep into any fanbase, you start to see THOSE PEOPLE. The ones who lurk in the corner as they disagree with everyone, the people who may be a minority, but have a huge voice. But when it comes to metroid, I understand the haters pain. Zero mission/Fusion are pretty linear, and the map screens popping up are ANNOYING. Prime 3 goes for that too, prime 2 is hit or miss. Though prime 1 I don't see much reason other than just not liking first person games.

As far as i'm aware you're right. That's also one pretty big problem with sega is that they don't advertise their games... Well the ones that actually need advertising anyway XD Sure they advertise Sonic (Kinda) but that is sega's ONE SERIES that doesn't need much advertisement because it's being watched. Project diva F on the other hand, I didn't even know about it till sega forums was like "Vote for project diva F to come to america :D" And Miku flick I kinda stumbled upon by accident on the IOS store curious if there's any Miku stuffs on IOS.

And i'm one of those XD But once you get deep into any fanbase, you start to see THOSE PEOPLE. The ones who lurk in the corner as they disagree with everyone, the people who may be a minority, but have a huge voice. But when it comes to metroid, I understand the haters pain. Zero mission/Fusion are pretty linear, and the map screens popping up are ANNOYING. Prime 3 goes for that too, prime 2 is hit or miss. Though prime 1 I don't see much reason other than just not liking first person games.
SEGA dropped PG during their restructure so I don't think Bayonetta will be published by them anymore. SEGA just needs to give other franchises like Virtua Fighter more love. AAA games always take over advertising so there's that issue too.

I'm not really big on Metroid so that's probably why I had no idea XD

That one's so strong Monster Wars itself chipped into it.

Ah yes, the community doesn't hesitate to point that out xD Liking Godzilla 1998 is definitely the unpopular opinion, but oh well. I just don't talk to other Godzilla fans so I can avoid the inevitable chastising.

I've never understood trolls or haters. The whole excuse of is very upsetting to me. My life experience is something no one would want to go through but I don't take out any of my pain on other people. If you need to vent you can. It's completely possible to vent without hurting another person. They have entire apps aimed just for that purpose.

Just to be clear, I point this out as a (subconcious) motivation for the behaviour. Not as a justification.

But being built on it?
This site is way to welcoming and lenient *cough*All the Migrations*cough* for that to be the case.

Basically, shared hate is a good way to create bonds in smaller communities. You see, we seek out others based on similarties. It's just like fandoms, where people bond over My Little Pony or Sword Art Online. Except the opposite. The larger a community grows, the more diverse it's audience becomes and in turn the less efficient hate as a tool to bond. When the site's management was taken over, I bet that what was realised in some fashion was that if the site were to grow, it would have to take an approach more about positive reinforcement.

However, I would contest Iwaku being founded on hate. I wasn't there, but the way I see it, it was allowed to sustain more by a sense of belonging. Usually hate-bonds don't move past the communities they're festered in.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Basically, shared hate is a good way to create bonds in smaller communities. You see, we seek out others based on similarties. It's just like fandoms, where people bond over My Little Pony or Sword Art Online. Except the opposite. The larger a community grows, the more diverse it's audience becomes and in turn the less efficient hate as a tool to bond. When the site's management was taken over, I bet that what was realised in some fashion was that if the site were to grow, it would have to take an approach more about positive reinforcement.

However, I would contest Iwaku being founded on hate. I wasn't there, but the way I see it, it was allowed to sustain more by a sense of belonging. Usually hate-bonds don't move past the communities they're festered in.
True, neither of us were there at the start (and technically neither was Diana even... damn this site is old) so we can't say for sure.

But if it was built on such things, Iwaku had definitely been renovated/remodelled since then.

Just to be clear, I point this out as a (subconcious) motivation for the behaviour. Not as a justification.
Oh no, It wasn't my intention to say you believed that. It's just a lot of people do think of it as a justification and then they don't work to cchange anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.