LURKER MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
Writing Levels
  1. Douche
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
People have always talked about a Western RP... but is there actually any interest?

I'm thinking of an RP with gunfights, heists, bounty hunters, bar-brawls, outlaws and all the usual cliches.

Oh yes, please! I can never get a good plot down for a western, but I would totally join one is there was one...

Same boat. I'd love to join one just can't think of a good one.

OH YEAH GUYS WE'RE ALL IN.

THINKING A PLOT??? LOL WUTS DAT

DAMNIT! I swear to god people are psychic and know when I'm planning a plot, and they they do it before I get mine up! D:<

YES PLEASE. I would like a western.

If there's room for comic relief or a larger-than-life bountyhunter/snake oil salesman with an improbable past, then I've already formed a concept.

Oh, and as long as a picture isn't mandatory.

Okay, here it is. SheWolf, the heist will only be the start of the RP, so it's okay to play a non-gunslinger if you want.

Now, the big question is: do you wanna use Wushu rules for combat?

If so, we can have a Skills section on our bios which allow us re-rolls for certain actions.

Or do you want to keep it to a normal roleplay and work out combat between ourselves?

I vote for normal combat...but if everyone really wants to do dice then I'll play along for a bit.

You know it's gonna end a lot sooner if you put skills asmo, you wouldn't want people thinking about hteir actions besides "I shoot guy, he dies lol"

Count me in for using Wushu though.

Whut?

So you want Wushu, but not a skills entry?

Saying I'm in for using skills and whatnot, kinda like in that other roleplay about time travelling SWAT.

Ironically, my first character was written for a anachronistic kung fu Western Wushu game that filled up so quickly I didn't get a chance to post him.

I wouldn't mind using Wushu if you're really going to run it original style--your character's "skills" basically being a broken up summary of who they are in broad strokes. If it's going to be specific and "crunchy" like your Hellboy-in-Tribulation-Force game though, then I say, skip the dice.

Hellboy in whut-whut whut?

Why is no one giving me a straight answer? >:[

Just do what you think will work best. You're a smart boy, we trust you to make it work.

Well, I trust you to make it work.

And what's a wushu?

Footwear for dyslexic Jews.

Anyway, it all depends on whether you want tense gunfights where you live or die on the roll of a dice, or if you want to create the sense of danger on your own.

Just do what you think will work best. You're a smart boy, we trust you to make it work.
Speak for yourself. :P

Well, I trust you to make it work.
More like it. :)

And what's a wushu?
Short answer.
Free, simple system. Guided freeform. Meant to overcome the clash between wanting to emulate the style of one's favorite genres and the fact that many rule systems overcomplicate this.
Not so short answer.

Free, simple system. Guided freeform. Created by Dan Bayn from the similar a Risus system. Meant to overcome the clash between wanting to emulate the style of one's favorite genres and the fact that many rule systems overcomplicate this. "Style is substance." Narrative control is your real power level, not how much your character can benchpress. I'd explain more, but some of it depends on the GM's intent, and it's actually less confusing to just read the rules. *nervous chuckle*

During the anti-godmodding spikes of the past, I proposed it as a means to circumvent aversion to other systems while freeing players(both myself and those players I wanted for "high-power" games I wanted to run) from fear of being called godmoders for just wanting to play someone a bit more competent than average or more than a shambling ho-hum anti-sue.

We had a few fun Wushu games over MSN, mostly run by Paorou, and from his successive tweaks to satisfy players who wanted something more strategic and PvP-friendly, he made Asmo's Greed.
The link.
http://wiki.saberpunk.net/Wushu/WushuOpenRules
As written, they show a bias towards fast-paced action--it's original purpose. But its actually pretty versatile.

Hellboy in whut-whut whut?

Why is no one giving me a straight answer? >:[

Your game where the world was full of demonic weirdness after Jesus had returned.

Jack's character was sort of a Hellboy expy.

What I don't want...
Like needing skill checks to remember to wipe after using the toilet which add to your character's mental stress level. Strength rolls to pull enough sheets. Dexterity rolls to "wield" the paper correctly so as not to stain your hands. Dodge rolls to keep from getting a papercut. Constitution checks to see if the germs on the seat didn't give you some life-threatening plague. Sanity checks to see if you can handle seeing your own fecal matter. Investigation to find the missing soap. Dodge again to avoid being bisected by the swinging door. Ouch! Sorry, you were almost fast enough. Not quite. Now let's roll to see how many health levels you lost. Darn. You're in pretty bad shape. Lost an arm. And according to this chart here, the door's swinging motion tossed your arm into the urinal. Now, roll--
Actually, that sounds kind of fun in a way. But back to my point, that's interesting, but it isn't Wushu.

I gave you a straight answer. Here's straighter.

The last time you supposedly used Wushu it sort of deviated from the core principles "style is substance," "substance is style," "narrative-with stakes as opposed to stakes with narrative." I'm not anti-houseruling*, but your game seemed so different that it came across as just another homebrew skill list oriented thingamabob. Seemed like you were just calling your own idea Wushu in order to lure me in. I was too insecure to question you about that back then, but I'm not now.

Forsooth, like, what's up with that, dawg?

In particular, my favorite Wushu additions:
-Wushu Coup de Grace rule (the player whose dice roll reduces the threat rating to zero gets the option to make a mod post describing how that particular threat ended).
-Structured Chargen: There are variations. I think the last one I used was 1Profession-related, 1 Socialization-related, 1 Combat-related, 1 Miscellaneous, and then the weakness. Ranked in whichever order the player considers fitting, though GMs sometimes declare limits like "no combat traits above rank 3" if he wants to make sure physical combat isn't a breeze or that the players use some of their other traits before the game ends. Example:
Name: AsmoAngelDude
Motivation: To bring Iwaku into a new Golden Age by any means.
Traits:
6 Leader of the People
AngelDude has a combination of powerful natural charisma, a way with words, and quick-witted cunning. (Social Ability)
5 Angel
He has wings, superhuman strength and stamina as well as resistance to disease. (Though it could easily be his Combat Trait, I count this as Misc)
3 Ugly Pretty Fighting
On the battlefield, AngelDude is a paradox. A vision of unearthly grace leaving hellish destruction even as he shouts depressing conclusions about the nature of conflict and loss.(Combat Trait. I didn't feel like thinking of a snappy name.)
1 The Vision All-Consuming
Sometimes sacrifices must be made. And for his grand vision, AngelDude will risk anything and everything. (The Weakness. Must roll a 1 for any post contradicting this).
Note:Traits don't have to have snappy titles, it's just fun to do.

Think I'll try to fit in with a tamer character concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.