We're in this War Together (AngelFire and CrimsonMaiden)

Status
Not open for further replies.
She turned to looked at him then shrugged. "Maybe they won't notice?" Who was she kidding? They'd be looking for the slightest strange thing about anyone! "Um... Gimme a second, I'll find something for your eyes." She ran inside the town- as fast as she could with numb legs- and looked around for a shop selling clothes or something. Isis was admittedly surprised that it was still populated so heavily. She found one store that was still open and ran inside. It sold clothes and accessories. It also had some more functional wear. There were goggles, gas masks and other things of the like. They were prepared for an attack alright. Isis wandered over to a pair of goggles and tapped her chin. "If I buy two it won't seem so weird. Hm... Wait a minute, I don't have any money. How do they pay for things?"

"Usually with a trade," a hoarse voice replied form behind her. An old woman stood behind the counter. "But you don't look like you have much of value on you."

"I don't. I haven't even had a decent place to sleep the past few months. Is there something else I can do?"

"Just take it. There's no need to charge what no one has. We all need to live if the aliens make it here. Take what you need and go. There's no need for money here anymore..."

Isis grabbed scarves and two pairs of goggles as well as some clothes, put them in a bag that was also on display, thanked the woman then ran out of the store. She ran back to Rikyo and fell to her knees. "I got some good stuff," she panted. "The woman at the shop let me take what I wanted free of charge!" She held the bag up to him. "I guess there are still some sensible people in the world." She took out the goggles and put on a pair then handed him the other pair. "These should sort of hide your eyes. I got some clothes too." Maybe they could get a bath in while staying at the inn or hotel. Oh, Isis wished hard for a bath. Things had been going perfectly so far.

"Thank you." He put on the goggles and looked around. "Your people are strange. We would never be able to just take something, even in this kind of time." he stood up on his hind legs, which were thankfully hidden by his baggy jumpsuit. He bent his knees so he wasn't quite so freakishly tall.

Isis nodded as she stood and pulled the bag onto her shoulder. "Nobody has money, the stores are mostly ruined, and anyone wants food and such more than money right now. She said people were usually trading supplies for wares." She shrugged then stretched. "Well then, let's see if the hotel will be as generous." She led him inside, walking briskly through the streets. The hotel was a few stories high and Isis had to tilt her head back to look up to the last floor. "Wow... Hope this isn't too expensive..." It looked so lovely on the outside she was sort of excited to see the inside. The doors opened automatically as they stepped onto the mat and walked inside. She looked around the empty lobby curiously.

There seemed to be a lot of people around the town for the fighting to be so close, but perhaps the hotel owner had fled when it did. Isis walked up to the counter and rang the bell. After a minute or two she leaned over the counter and sighed. "There's really no one here. Guess we can take whichever room we want then!" She jumped over the counter and found the small box the contained the keys to the rooms. The lock was broken and there were only a few keys left inside. "Hm... Well, look at this. Looks like someone got here before us. Would you mind sharing a room or would you rather bunk alone? Honestly, I'd be a little worried about leaving you alone." She put the key box on the counter for him to see.

"Then we can share," Rikyo nodded. He'd be worried about her all night if he left her alone. They could get robbed, or killed in their sleep. He wanted her to stay alive. She was his only friend and he would do anything to protect her. He grabbed a key and started up the stairs, running up on all fours.

Isis closed the box then looked after him as he ran up the stairs. She put the box away then ran after him. Up stairs she walked up next to him. "Hopefully these rooms are still nice and useable." The thought that she had gotten their hopes all for naught made her stomach churn. "Let's see then..." She looked at Rikyo.

Rikyo nodded and found the door that matched the key, turning it in the lock. he pushed the door open. It wasn't too bad, the lights were off and the bed looked like it hadn't been slept in recently, despite the blankets off the side a little. But the rest of the room was pretty empty. The small fridge in the corner of the room was empty, and the dressers were filled with cobwebs.

Isis walked in behind Rikyo and surveyed the room. "It's not too bad. Definitely better than what I've had to sleep on before." She walked up to the bed and pressed a hand on the mattress. "It's good enough. I think we deserve some sleep. Especially you." She looked at Rikyo and smiled. "You probably need it more than I do." She stood and patted the bed. "You can rest and I'll go find something to eat. What do you eat? Maybe I can find something you'll most likely eat."

"Just water, thank you." He climbed onto the bed and laid down, resting his head on the pillow. "You're very kind, Isis." He closed his eyes.

She shrugged then turned toward the door. "Alright water and whatever I can get a lot of. I'll be back in a little bit." Isis glanced back once and shook her head. "What have I gotten myself into." She hurried down the stairs then back outside. It seemed most of the town was not populated but a few had hung around. The stores she stopped by were mostly empty, no doubt. There were probably a lot of people holding up in basements and their houses. Some houses had the windows boarded up and others had fences built up around them. Isis could only shake her head. That wouldn't do anything against the aliens when the aliens got there- not if. Anyhow, she found a store still somewhat stocked and walked around for a while. Considering how cleaned out the other stores were nobody would bother if she had a few bags herself, right? Isis stuffed her bag with chips and water and other such bagged items.

She grabbed two small shopping baskets and filled them with food until she was sort of straining. "I think that's good enough. I can make this last." She had grabbed a lot of instant ramen cups and bowls and canned foods and some boxed things like granola bars. The bread has long since gone bad so she didn't bother with it. The trek back was a little unnerving, as the sun had finally fully set and the moon was peeking from behind buildings. Isis sort of hurried along and almost ran into the hotel lobby. She made it back to the room in one piece and set her bag and the baskets in a corner hidden from view in case anyone came in to steal something. "That's was...scary..." she breathed as she sat on the floor and began to take off her shoes. She had been gone about thirty minutes, maybe a little more. She had a strict rule about not staying out in the open for more an hour unless traveling.

Rikyo had fallen asleep, but when she came in his eyes opened and he rolled over, falling off of the bed. "Ow." he said, rubbing his arm. He stumbled up and went over to the bags. "Thank you, next time, I'll risk my life out there." He smiled and started taking thhings out, putting them into the dresser.
"You can rest now. We should sleep in shifts, just in case. I'll stay awake." he looked at the various foods she had brought back. They were very strange. He lifted a foam cup of ramen. "What is this?" He asked with a wrinkled nose.

"Oh, thanks." She stood and stretched. "It's cupped ramen. They're noodles. The water's in my bags. It'll probably be cold and take a long time, but you can use it to make some if you wanna try it. I suggest not using more than half a bottle, but less if you can. I got food that wouldn't expire and was already portion controlled. It'll be easier to make it last that way." She got into bed and yawned. "This place isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but be careful. People are crazy right now. It looks like everything just shut down after the war. I'll see you in a few hours." She turned the pillow long ways, hugged it then closed her eyes into an almost instant sleep.

He looked at the cup and decided against it. he didn't need it right now anyway. He took the water and took a few sips. That made him feel instantly better, and cooler. The way Isis hugged the pillow made him sad. She obviously did that to make it seem like another person was there. This just proved how lonely she really was. Rikyo looked at the ground and blinked. He sat down and leaned against the foot of the bed.

Isis...Isis, wake up! It's time for breakfast, what are you still doing in bed. You'll be late if you don't hurry.

Isis opened her eyes to her childhood room. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. "What's going on here? School?" She got out of bed and walked to her closet. She passed a mirror on her way and stopped. Isis stared at the image of her twelve year old self. Her hair was short and she was wearing the bear PJs she had always loved as a child. Isis shook her head in disbelief and ran downstairs to the kitchen. Her uncle and aunt were sitting around the table and there was a place for her. "Good morning," her aunt greeted her with a smile. Her uncle waved.

"This isn't real... It's a dream."

"What are you talking about? Is something wrong Izzy?" Her uncle turned toward her.

She opened her mouth and suddenly a loud, deafening sound vibrated around them. Isis covered her ears as did her aunt and uncle. The house began to shake and Isis ran outside to see what was happening. A ship was hovering over their house and two others. Beams shot out from everywhere and houses were blowing up all over the place. Isis was thrown backwards as her very home was hit with one of these beams. She hit her head and passed out.

"Wait...no..." Isis' eyes flew open and she suddenly sat up, covered in a cold sweat. She looked around the room and she was back in the hotel. Her chest heaved as she wiped a had over her forehead. "Great," she groaned then laid back down. "Rikyo...how long was I asleep? I'm still tired..." She put her face in the pillow and sighed.

Rikyo turned around, placing his arm on the foot of the bed. "A few hours, maybe 3." He blinked. She looked very distressed. "Are you alright?" He asked, getting up and standing on the side of the bed. He leaned on the edge of it with his hands. He examined her closely. "Did you have a night terror?" Her hair was a mess and she looked like she had been crying in her sleep.

She turned her head towards him. "I had a dream about my aunt and uncle. It happened three years ago but I was twelve in my dream." She sighed aloud and turned onto her back. "I've had that dream before but it was a long time ago." She stared at the ceiling thoughtfully. Maybe there was some psychological meaning behind it but she was never one to look to deeply into those types of things. There was enough stress in her awake life, she didn't want to go digging into old, mental wounds. She sat up and stretched one arm, the other still holding onto the pillow. "I can't go back to sleep now. Time to eat!" She got out out of the bed and walked over to their stash. It was dark out and she had a roof over her head so dinner was a safe thing to have at the moment. "Mmaybe I'll try the ramen. "I can stand the wait... You don't want anything?" She looked back at Rikyo with eyebrows raised.

"I'm fine. Are you sure you're okay?" He asked. She had seemed to get over t so quickly, but he wondered if what she was saying was really what she was thinking. This girl was such a mystery to him. He followed her to the drawers where they had stored the food. "I wish I could have the courtesy to make you something, but I don't know what half of these things are." He blinked. "I feel like a child lost in the darkness."

"I'm fine. I got over it-" she sigh- "a long time ago." Isis took out a ramen cup and bottle of water. "Most of this comes ready to eat. Not much prep time besides the ramen. And this is going to take a while." She poured in a little more than half the bottle then set the cup to the side and went back to the drawer. "You don't want try some granola? It's good for energy when you need it. I got plenty though. It's oats and nuts and things." She held one out to him. She honestly wanted to see his reaction to something like that. It would probably be really amusing.

Rikyo tilted his head and took it. He sniffed it, then opened the wrapper. His eyebrow raised. He took a bite and chewed. "It's not that bad." He said with his mouth full, unfortunately, some spat out of his mouth. His eyes widened and he covered his mouth with his hand, swallowing it all with one gulp. "I'm sorry, that was completely impolite of me!" He hoped none of it got on her.

Isis laughed aloud. "I thought you might like it. Thanks, I needed that." She patted his shoulder as she walked by. She went to a door on the wall opposite the bed and opened it. A bathroom! Isis went inside and looked around. The sound of creaking pipes and the low hiss of water followed. "Hey Rikyo-" she ran back out into the room excitedly- "the water still works! It's cold but a bath's a bath. Since my ramen's going to take forever I'll just wash up." She went to her bag and pulled out the clothes she had gotten from that store earlier that day. A fresh pair of pants, a tank top and a tee. She put everything over her arm and went into the bathroom. "See you in a bit!" There was no telling how long she's lose herself in that bathroom. It'd been months since she'd had a decent bath.

he nodded, eating the rest of the granola. He kind of liked it, and filled his stomach. He just sat on the bed and looked around. He was very dirty too, especially since he was covered in ash from the crash. He unwrapped his ears now that they wouldn't be seen. He threw the ripped sleeve into a drawer of another dresser in the room. He wanted desperately to take off his burnt, ripped, dirty jumpsuit, but he didn't want her to suddenly come out of the bathroom and see him. He just sat there and waited.

Status
Not open for further replies.