We're in this War Together (AngelFire and CrimsonMaiden)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I live wherever I find someplace that hasn't been destroyed," was her melancholy reply. "My home was lost a long time ago. I just move around now because the war is spreading to many places. Wherever I find shelter it doesn't last long before I have to move on again." Isis focused on the distance in front of them. It was still a difficult thing to say aloud, even after three years. She had no one now and she didn't really want anyone anymore. Being alone was the norm for her at this point and changing it would be too hard.

"I see. I'm sorry." He looked at the ground. "Your family?" He asked. He wondered if this human had a family. Or if any humans lived with their parents at all. Did their offspring grow as they did, or were humans born looking like they do their whole lives? He was extremely curious.

"My family's gone. I lost my parents a long time ago." Why was he so interested in her life? Was he genuinely curious about her or humans? He did seem bold in asking such questions to someone his entire race was fighting against. It was her race's fault, but still. "What about you? Since you're asking about my family, how about yours?"

"My mother is at our home. She is retired. My father is dead." he saw that they had something in common, even if it was insignificant. "I used to work at a camp, making weapons. I don't see my mother often, and as you know, I never will again. Not in this life, at least. My mind and body will stay on this planet, but my love will stay with her, as my father's did. I'll see my father in Utopia and greet my mother once it is her time." He looked at the ground. "Do your people have a Utopia?"

Isis thought for a moment before answering. "Yes. We call it Heaven, where people go when they die. It's supposed to be a wonderful place where the streets are paved with gold and everyone is equal, no one is better than anyone. I wonder sometimes why people have to die to be equal. Even now, this war is because humans didn't see themselves and your people as equals." She didn't want to talk about her parents. "I lived with my aunt and uncle until the war finally got to us. I lost them three years ago."

"They were nice people?" he asked. He also wondered more about her. What did she like? He found himself asking many questions today. The pain in his wound had almost completely gone away now. which made him wonder if she felt pain.

"Yes, they were." Isis sighed aloud and looked around. They could only have been walking for about an hour or so but she felt like they should have been able to see something. "I'll tel you this now so you're not getting your hopes up on me; This is the farthest I've been out here yet. I'm many miles from where I started and this is even farther now, so don't expect me to know how things work out here. I can only generalize. There's been a lot of traveling since all this happened. I've never been so far on foot before."

"Okay." Rikyo answered. He was surprised at how calm he was through all of this. He stood on his hind legs and walked like a human. His mind was working through ideas for a disguise. He could change his form, but only so much. He may be able to change his legs at the most.

"Honestly, I don't know what to do once we get to this next town." Isis looked at her feet then back up. "I'll be honest since you don't seem to be planning to kill me any time soon. I don't have any need to turn on you either, but I hope you can understand my hesitation to help you earlier. I don't hate you or anything like that, it was the humans who started this whole thing and your people are retaliating. I'm not happy about it but that's how things are now. Personally, I don't have a problem helping you, but that means I'm putting myself on the line. I won't take any unnecessary risks if things get out of hand."

It felt kind of cruel to say out loud, but she wanted to get that out in the open. There was no ill will but she wasn't going to risk her life for him. "That being said, is there something you can use to change your appearance? That speech bubble thing was convenient. Do you have anything else like that?" She turned to look at him and tilted her head.

"This war is unnecessary, and to blame on both sides. I understand, you have already been extremely generous. I can only change my appearance so much, I believe my skin tone will be the hardest to cover up." He took a step back, away from her. "You don't have to watch if skin shedding makes you uncomfortable." He warned.

Isis stopped then turned to face him. So he thought even his own people were at fault. She nodded as if what he had said confirmed something. "You can change your skin tone?" she was pretty sure she didn't want to see anyone's skin peeling off. "Yeah... I'll pass." She turned her back to him.

He squeezed his eyes shut and felt electricity through his skin. He imagined himself having her skin tone and suddenly that electricity turned to fire that burned his skin and melted it off. He felt his body change and felt his skin falling to the ground, replaced by new, different skin. It was comfortable, but soft, not calloused and rough like his old skin. He kind of liked it. He fell to the ground as the burning sensation numbed. It was very hard work to change your body and could only be done every so often. His skin could feel the earth beneath him, and he pressed his wide-tipped fingers into the ground, pushing himself up. His vision was blurred and he shook his head to clear it. The old skin was piled next to him, he sat up and looked at it. "One second, I'll bury it." He crawled over and dug a hole next to the stinking, warm pile. he picked it up in one scoop and dropped it into the hole, coveirng it with dirt.

Isis gasped when she heard something hit the ground behind her. She wanted to look but at the same time she was hesitant. Hopefully this skin changing didn't include passing out because it was so strenuous. Of course it had to be hard on your body. Changing your skin couldn't be easy at all. "One second, I'll bury it." Bury it? Bury what? She dared to turn around this time, almost afraid of what she'd see. What she saw was someone who shared her skin tone and, therefore, looked a little more human. "Oh... You really can change your skin... That's amazing!" It would be much easier to hide him like this. "This should make things a lot easier now. Good job." She nodded. "Do you need a minute to rest or...anything?" She could only imagine how troublesome the transformation was.

"No, we should continue on. unless you would like to stop. You are tired?" He asked. he didn't want to force her to keep moving if she needed rest. He poked his soft skin. human skin was very interesting, so pink and soft. It wasn't very protective at all. He unwrapped the sleeves of his jumpsuit and ripped them off. The torso part, he pulled back up, no sleeves attached. He took one arm of the jumpsuit and wrapped it around his head, causing some of his black hair to stick up around it, but it pulled back his large ears and covered them for the most part.

"No, I'm fine," Isis said. "I just thought you might want to break for a moment after..." She vaguely motioned towards him. "But if you're fine then let's keep moving. We should be able to see some part of the town soon." She turned and continued walking. Perhaps his relaxed nature was starting to rub off on her. She was admittedly feeling much less stressed about the whole thing. If they were fond out the outcome was obvious but Isis was feeling much more confident that they could make it into and through the next town without him being found out. That was when it dawned on her. She stopped dead in her tracks then turned to look at him. "What's your name? Do your people have names or titles or..." She shrugged. "My name's Isis."

"Rikyo." He answered. "Isis, that is beautiful. what is its meaning?" He continued walking. It was odd how comfortable he felt around the human. She was very kind, generous, and brave. Certainly, she was diligent, considering she had gotten this far. These were all qualities that, all together, were not found much on his home.

Isis gave a small smile. "Thank you. It's Egyptian, but I'm not- it's some goddess, I think. My uncle used to call me Izzy." Her smile faded and she looked away from him. "I like your name too." It had been so long since she had someone with her, and she wanted to talk so loosely with him, but he was still an alien. He was a very polite and kind alien but it was still not okay in her mind to tell too much about herself. "Does your name have a meaning in your language?"

"It means 'born with wings'" He smiled. "It suits me, I suppose." He loved flying, that's why he became a pilot of course. "Flying is the only thing that I am good at. What do you love?" She must have hobbies of some sort. something that she lives for.

She took a minute to think on it. It had been a long time since she thought about things she loved to do. What was it that she used to do? "Um, I used to walk dogs for the neighborhood I lived in. I love animals and couldn't afford one myself so I did that so I could spend the afternoon with them." She used to be a little more carefree but she had closed herself off since being alone. "I can't do the things I love anymore but things happen for a reason. Maybe I'll be ale to do even better things after all of this is over."

"Dogs? They are friendly animals?" He asked. He imagined them as big scaly beings with long legs and beaks. "If we make it through this, maybe you'll get a dog." for the first time, he looked straight at her with his big eyes. His strange, goat-like eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.