Welcome to the SRO! | OOC

All of the above updates have been added to the first post, and I have added all approved souls to the second post! Two more, and it's go time!

Reactions: Ariel
@Flame
Hi! I did a little more work on Oliver, I can always do more if you need me too, though. Just figured I'd let you know.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been waiting for more interest to crop up, but it seems we've got no bites yet. I'm putting out some personal feelers to find new players, but no luck yet. If you all know anybody who might be interested, I'd ask that you ask around too, if you would. I really am looking for just about 2 more for us to all get started. ^^

@Flame
Hi! I did a little more work on Oliver, I can always do more if you need me too, though. Just figured I'd let you know.

I appreciate it, though I would also like an image to represent your character before it's approval. And, another matter: Your soul represents the real you, how you see yourself on the inside. If your body was female in life and you see yourself as male (rather, you *WERE* a male would be the proper way to say it), that is how you will be in the afterlife. Means of discrimination do exist in the underworld, but due to the way souls work, transphobia can't really be one of them. This is partly due to the lore of the world, and secondly due to the fact that being trans is a sensitive topic, and whether it's over rp or not, I would prefer not to have negative interactions over it between characters in the rp.

That doesn't change the struggles your character had when they were alive, those are very real, but the afterlife reveals who you really are, whether your living body reflected that or not. If your character is male, I would very much like their image (when you add it) to reflect that.

And as a note to anybody else, I'll not have transphobic interactions with this character between characters of the rp. (not that I expect to, anyway) Discrimination of any sort based on race/sexuality/identity is a free ticket to not being able to participate in my game. There are reasons enough for our characters to get along or not get along without dragging such sensitive topics that might hurt our players' (or readers') feelings. I know I've said this in the rules already, but I just wanted to make it doubly clear here.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ariel and Loveless
Hi, I'm gonna pitch in interest, I just want to ask that if someone has a genetic defect, would it reflect on their afterlife body? I get that the soul is supposed to be how one sees themselves on the inside, so would it be like, if they strongly desired to be rid of that defect it would be gone, but if they are ok with having it then it will stay?

And also, will one's soul appearance change if their perception of themselves begin to change after they die?

I might have a metaphorically interesting idea

Hi, I'm gonna pitch in interest, I just want to ask that if someone has a genetic defect, would it reflect on their afterlife body? I get that the soul is supposed to be how one sees themselves on the inside, so would it be like, if they strongly desired to be rid of that defect it would be gone, but if they are ok with having it then it will stay?

And also, will one's soul appearance change if their perception of themselves begin to change after they die?

I might have a metaphorically interesting idea
An interesting question, but I do have an answer! If it's something you were perfectly secure with and accepted as a part of you and who you were, then yes, you would have it in the afterlife. The you that appears in the afterlife is the "true" you, whatever that means to your character. If that truth involves that defect or a disability, then that is how you will be. If it caused you anguish and you wished it to be gone, well, you would be "normal" in the afterlife.

Yes, souls don't typically change much, but if you had a shift in how you view your true self, your body would change as well. (as long as that form is human) Though, some "forms" and changes will be attainable later and can be paid for.

This is honestly probably my most morally complex and philosophically convoluted character ever, so please let me know if he's too convoluted. I can also explain my thought process on a lot of stuff but I think no one wants to hear that.

Name: M-Rel
Lifetime: 2031-2050
Weight: 5255

00ixTFql.png

Many would describe M-Rel as ghostly looking, even in the afterlife. The most common impression is that he is extremely pale, with greyish skin that lacks the colour of circulating blood. This is partly true, but those acute enough towards colour may notice that he is actually completely monochromatic, with hair, eyes, and skin all appearing in shades of grey. His clothing also seems as such, but there are small tags on them labelled with words such as "blue", and names of other colours, despite still being in monochrome.​

Personality:

Quiet, pale, with an eerie ambience attached to him, M-Rel seem like a ghost even in the literal afterlife. When he was alive, one would struggle to give a proper description of his personality. He always seemed empty-minded, his eyes lacked in lustre or direction, carrying out action after action like he is walking through some sort of dream. Reacting to others based on a strict algorithm for socializing, M-Rel is like a mirror that reflects the appropriate things in the corresponding times, but one would struggle to get a glimpse at his true colours.

Dispassionate about nearly everything, M-Rel's consideration of the rational often becomes frightening as it devolves into psychopathy, he seems to be able to stay calm in nearly any situation, and never display outward signs of stress or anxiety. He also lacks the ability to truly reflect on his own actions, leaving him free of guilt or remorse, but instead a cardinal "emptiness" that seems to define him.

After his death, M-Rel seemed to have changed somewhat. Much of his actions are still outwardly the same: clueless wandering, the lack of feelings of stress and urgency, tendency to describe things in sterile academic terms, but something seem different. It's as if a haze has lifted from his mind and eyes, he often seems lost in thought, rather than just seeming completely empty. His social abilities seem to have taken a downturn compared to when he was alive, he often struggles to find an appropriate response, yet enjoys putting in the effort to come up with one.

A fleeting life that began and ended in the same building, on the same floor, he died two doors down from the room he was born in, under the same halogen lights and upon the same sterile sheets.

Born to the leader of the "Order of the True Algorithm", a "religious" "self-help" organization that preaches the pursue of absolute rational thinking and objective truth with the aid of technology, M-Rel was created to be the exemplary individual that suits this creed to a T. The boy was educated in an unusual fashion, he was taught to reject most conventional moral standards of society and instead instructed to consider occurrences in a purely mechanical manner. With a combination of special schooling and neurotic drugs, M-Rel seems to be growing into an eccentric, somewhat otherworldly, but well-read and cool-headed person.

That was until he grew to be 10 years old, the day that his "home", The Order's main complex, was raided by federal police. "Techno-terrorism" and "psychological experimentation" were the words of the day. Of course, a child who was kept in sterile halls and soaked in narcotic drugs was unaware of this. What he was aware of is the unfamiliar things and people all around him, it was overwhelming, the footsteps and the shouting and the creaking of doors and the rubbing of fabric was all overwhelming. M-Rel took the quickest and most pragmatic course of action to solve the problem, like he always had. A bottle of rubbing alcohol, a lighter, a sushi knife was all he needed to make himself comfortable again.

Before he knew it, M-Rel found himself in a new life. A man and a woman introduced themselves as his "parents", he knew the definition of that word, but not much else. This man and woman were a professor of philosophy, and a neuroscientist, it wasn't every day that one can find a child raised in a cult. They quickly found out that M-Rel was much more different than they could imagine, he was knowledgable, yet eerily undisturbed by anything. Including his acts of arson and assault that took the lives of three officers and two counsellors. And the most disturbing thing soon surfaced: M-Rel was never aware that he was completely colourblind.

His foster parents studied M-Rel's upbringing, and the various narcotics used on him, attempting to extract some academic value from this psychological tragedy, but they also wished for him to one day become reintegrated into society, believing that his sociopathic tendencies are more of a product of his environment that his nature. Eventually, M-Rel's foster mother received the approval of using a "WatchMe" on him - an experimental nano-neurotechnology that monitored the host's status administered medication such as sedatives and oxytocin.

For the next few years, M-Rel lived an almost normal life with his nanotech administered drug cocktail. He was still described as seeming absent-minded and strange by others, but he was much more subdued and less prone to extreme actions. Though this didn't continue indefinitely. Even with a panel of experts and his foster parents closing watching over him, the technology slowly became more and more ineffective as he grew. By the time M-Rel turned 18, the drug resistance he had built up and the changes as results of growth and rendered the WatchMe program's effects to a negligible degree.

It was rare that M-Rel had such clarity in his life, with his mind addled with various chemicals for the majority of his life, he simply acted as a machine that felt what it was ordered to feel. Just like how his clothing has the names of colours he cannot perceive stitched upon them, he lived through life only knowing labels of what it means to "feel alive". This was the first time that M-Rel felt something for himself, emotions were a great and foreign suffering for him. It was overwhelming. He wanted to do something about, something to lessen this pain of seeing his how he has lived his life.

This was when the serial killing of the "WatchMe" project group started. From the researchers to the engineers, at first, some thought it was a coincidence, or perhaps a foreign government, or even rival businesses, but it was hard to be convinced of that when every murder weapon seemed to be a blade. M-Rel's foster father eventually noticed that the household's sushi knife has gone missing, he immediately formed a terrifying hypothesis, then passed away peacefully due to bleeding caused by a damaged carotid. M-Rel ran away after his "father"'s death, it was overwhelming.

M-Rel went back to the place he grew up in, now an abandoned building that will soon be demolished. He shut himself in one of the rundown rooms with a flickering halogen light and dusty piles of bedsheets. The clock stopped ticking years ago, there was nothing, nothing other than M-Rel and his clouded mind. Eventually, his foster mother stepped into the room, along with the sound of sirens and chattering in the distance. It was the first time in many years that M-Rel couldn't think, that he was "panicking". He remembered what happened in his past, and what would befall him after this. His bloodied sushi knife still lied close to him.

When the lone woman that entered the building walked out into the flickering blue and red lights, and distant shouting, she collapsed on the ground sobbing. A medical team confirmed that the suspect has died, it was likely to be suicide, as the suspect has been quite unstable for some time now. The woman kept on weeping, though no one is sure if it is for what she has lost, or for what she has done.

Sins:

Murder
Arson
Ignorance
Resignation
Longing​

Magic/Abilities: [N/A for now]

Notes/Etc:

- "M-Rel" stands for "Moral Relativism"
- M-Rel's purely monochromatic appearance in the afterlife is due to his colourblindess while he was alive, he had only perceived himself as such and never had a strong desire for normal vision (as of right now).
XeOktqgm.png

• OMG
Reactions: Loveless
@Cresion Breezes
Looks good to go to me! I'll add him up to the active souls list!

With that out of the way, we'll need just about one more soul to hit the required number for me to feel good with getting us started up. I think, perhaps in the mean time I will begin preparing more materials and NPCs and such to get us ready to start, so keep an eye out for updates from me here soon.

• Sweet
Took a good minute, but I have added a list of notable NPCs below the list of approved souls!

• Ah Seen It
I really like the concept of this, and if it's ok I wouldn't mind filling in a spot! There's a lot of questions I have regarding weight, souls and some other topics, though it's probably too many to ask so quickly. However, there's a couple I really want to ask before I start working on the souls I have in mind. First off, I'm not sure if we'll even be able to have multiple characters, but would we be able to set aside the soul we're writing with and start following another soul when contracts aren't being taken, just in case we want to try out someone new but don't want to give up our old oc?

And even though they won't be able to pay for abilities just yet, could they pay weight for minor services and goods that won't affect their literal power but can help improve their living conditions in the underworld, like exchanging weight for obols (if it counts as minor to begin with)?

Lastly, would harming animals result in a lower weight than harming humans? Also is it possible for species that can experience emotions to also be sent to the underworld, or would all animals count as immature souls?

If you need to go more in depth, feel free to ask away, either here or in PM!

At first I will only accept one soul per player, but that might open up in the future. For now, you work towards getting your soul's weight to hit 0, and once it has, they reincarnate and you can make a new soul! Characters will inevitably be lost due to the way reincarnation works, unfortunately.

There isn't a strict weight for obol exchange right now, but it is still possible to pay for things in weight at the moment. Don't worry, everybody will be given a sum of Obols to start off with when this thing kicks off.

Yes, sort of. It varies. Hunting an animal for food is not the same as murder, no weight would be accrued. Purposely torturing or abusing animals for the pleasure of it is another thing, and would accrue weight. That's the sort of thing that those who measure soul weight look at when they appraise your soul.

No, no animals are reincarnated through the process human souls are, at least to the knowledge of anybody you'd ask in the underworld. People in the underworld do have pets occasionally, but they are typically created in the underworld via magic, or in rarer cases, actual demons or even rarer, real living things from the human world. When it comes to animals, "all dogs go to heaven", so to speak. Not that there aren't supernatural animals in the human world due to magic and such, but anything "sentient" enough that you'd think it'd go to the underworld upon death and isn't strictly an animal would be considered a "monster" or demon in the underworld, typically. Monsters don't have souls, and their existence is erased upon death, as far as everybody knows.

Alright, I have an idea on who to go with then! This is a bit late, but just two more questions and I'll be out of your hair for now. Should we add in sins that they commit after they've become lost souls or should they only be from the time they were alive? And will souls be given a place to stay by the SRO during their time in the underworld like an apartment, or they have to work that out themselves?

No sweat, I'll be here all night.

No, just list the sins you accrued while alive. Sinful behavior in the afterlife can accrue weight AND disqualify you from the SRO though, as a requirement to be in the SRO is a willingness for betterment, and unrepentant behavior doesn't reflect that.

Yes, there are something akin to dorms available for fresh souls who don't have the obols to arrange housing for themselves, but you're also allowed to house yourself in an apartment in the underworld as long as you continue to participate in the program (and have the funds to take care of your needs) so, there are both. You're encouraged to get an apartment if you can, (so fresh souls who can't can have space) and there are underworld financial services available.

Reactions: Hi-