Welcome To New Haven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emil left the tent to get some fresh air and time to think.
"Is that North of Dublin? Where Carlingford is?" Claire nodded as Evie spoke. "I think I-" Claire jumped in shock when Evie coughed. She was horrified. Claire sat further back on her bed to distance herself. She waited for Evie to finish talking.
"No, no... You're going to be one of them monsters soon, aren't you?" She questioned in a scared, childish tone, before realising that because she was in the tent with her, she must be turning as well. She shook her head in disbelief. "No, I don't want to be a monster!" Claire had watched this happen to other people before.

Eyes closed. Ears open. Soul wide. Quiet surroundings. Steady heartbeat. The thrum of nature around me. Peace. "Sean," he heard. It was Jack. Sean lifted an eyebrow as he continued to lay in his bed with his eyes closed, a subtle sign he was listening as he continued his meditation. The whole ordeal with the stranger had left him rather stressed. He nodded, signifying he understood. After Jack left the tent, Sean sat up slowly and looked at the strange garment. It took a moment before-

"GODS FUCKING DAMMIT EVIE!"

-he realized what it was. Sean hated most three things in the world. Traitors, American country music, and tacky, itchy, ugly fucking Christmas sweaters. Balling the sweater into his fist. Sean charged the medical tent. "Evie, you better pray you stay sick, because when you get better," he growled, throwing the sweater at her, "I'm kicking your Brit ass." he threatened emptily, with the smile of a man who had been pranked and was both pissed and amused. He looked at one of the new arrivals, the sick girl Jack had mentioned. "Dia duit, mo chara*." he greeted in Irish. "I take it you're the lass I've 'eard about?" he asked, taking a more relaxed stance.

*Hello, my friend.

Reactions: Link
Evie Appleby

tumblr_muxi8ropbJ1s0t9k2o6_250.gif

"It's fine," Evie said soothingly once she had cleaned herself up a bit, "It's just a nasty cold." She adjusted the surgical mask on her face slightly to make sure it was fitting properly when suddenly...

"Evie, you better pray you stay sick, because when you get better I'm kicking your Brit ass!" Sean hollered as he stormed into the tent. The thrown sweater hit Evie square in the face, muffling the breathy chuckles that emanated from beneath her mask. She peeled it from around her head and rested it on the bed beside her.

"I take it that means you don't like it then?" she giggled, her chuckles becoming cut off by a smaller coughing fit. She watched as Sean interacted with the young girl, a small smile on her lips. She didn't know much Gaelic besides what little her mother taught her so she could only pick out the word hello.

@Thomas McTavish @Kirisuna @Link

Claire jumped when Sean entered the room and she scrambled back on her bed. She disliked his vulgar language but his familiar accent was very satisfying to her. Hearing his voice made her feel safe, as if she were back home in Ireland. She nodded when he spoke to her.
"Dia is mhuire duit. Sea, is mise an cailín a chuala tú faoi."* Claire couldn't hold back her smile. She grinned, being able to speak in Irish after all this time fixed a problem she never knew existed. She used to frequently have conversations with her older sister in Irish before she went missing. "I'm Claire, what's your name?"

*"Hello to you too. Yes, I am the girl you heard about."

"Sean. Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Claire." he introduced, walking in and sitting in a chair across from the cots the girls were resting on. It relieved him to hear a genuine Irish accent again, tugging a relaxed half-smile onto his lips. "If y'don't mind me asking, how old are ya? I'm- Oh, gods, hard to remember- twenty-four? Twenty-five, I think? Twenty-five, yeah. Sounds about right." he pondered with a quizzical look on his face, staring into space. It had been such a long time since he needed to keep track of his age, he almost forgot.

"I'm thirteen years old!" Claire stated with a smile on her face. Claire's age had always been important to her, Emil had said that it kept her together as a person to know how long she had been alive, even if she didn't know what day it was, or what month. Her birthday was early in Autumn, so she would have a small birthday party every year with Emil and her sister Sadhbh when she noticed that leaves had started falling off of trees. She had three birthday parties like that before Sadhbh was gone. She was excited for the next one, if it ever would happen.

Evie Appleby

Evie smiled as much as her aching body would allow, even merely laughing put strain on her. It was weird seeing Sean being good with kids - Evie never took him for the type. As a man, he seemed like he would be repelled by kids and hate them with a passion but he seemed quite levelled around Claire... almost mature and big-brotherly. A rude thought crossed Evie's mind and her smile turned to one of guilt, causing her to cover her mouth with her hand as she tried to suppress the painful giggling. She recomposed herself, tying her hair up into a ponytail, her paler than pale skin still sparkling slightly from the sweat. Evie could feel the drugs doing their job, the idea comforting and dreadful at the same time. She loathed the idea of the crash after they wear off, both from withdrawal and from the full force of her illness. She lay flat on the bed, staring at the roof of the tent once more.

"Sean," she spoke, her tone like that of a mischievous child as the smile crept back onto her face, "I have a question, if you've got the time to answer." She left an uncomfortable silence to hang in there air for a moment. "If I steal you some of Jack's whiskey would you share a secret with me?" The tone and the smirk were unmistakable. This question of hers was going to be personal - really personal. It was the smirk and tone of Evie's mischievous side. The side that spurred her on to acquire the ghastly christmas jumper.

Sean raised a brow at the proposition. It had certainly caught his attention. "And what secret might ye be after?" he asked, arms crossed. Sean had lots of secrets- not many he'd be ready to share, few he'd be willing to divulge at all. However, every man had his price...

Sean's just happened to be devil's water.

Evie Appleby
tumblr_static_an6dj8jmwo0k8wo0gc0gsocgk.gif

She turned her head so she was directly looking at him, her cheeks almost regaining colour from the excitement that he was entertaining the idea. "Well," she began, "With the world turning out the way it has gossip is sort of a nostalgic commodity. I sort of miss talking about who in the block was courting who and so forth..." Once more she left an intensive silence. Coughing demurely, she looked back to the ceiling and made an expression that insinuated she was impartial to the answer however the opposite was blatantly apparent. "Maddie: what do you think of her?" she finally prosed. Her stare remained on the ceiling as she await the reply, a small smirk resting on her pale lips.

Jack Rollinson

Jack had done his rounds of the camp, checking everything was in order. It finally seemed like the place was gaining some normality after the day's excitement. As he walked back towards the male tent, he caught a glimpse of a silhouette move into view atop the watchtower. Ellen. Her red hair was unmistakable and she was the only one on camp who would play with a knife like some sort of stage performer. Spinning it round in her fingers, she sat idly looking across the terrain beyond the camp. Jack smiled. He was happy that she was doing her duty and even happier that she wasn't around to potentially prank anybody. The thought crossed his mind that there must have been something wrong with the women on the camp. Every last one of them seemed to have something of a mean streak in the practical jokes department. His mind transitioned back to an earlier conversation he had had with Evie.

"Screw it, we need supplies anyway," he resolved to himself. If he was going to do a run into town, his companion would have to be discreet. Somebody that didn't have enough connections to gossip. Alas, everyone in the camp was like family... all except a newcomer. "Emil." Returning to the medical tent, Jack nudged Emil and pulled him to one side. "Remember what I said about earning your keep? Well, do you reckon you could do me a massive favour? I'm going out on an excursion into town and need some company. You good with that?" Some might say Jack was being too trusting of Emil, that he couldn't possibly know whether Emil was who he said he was or not. However, Jack got the feeling he was a good man. The way he looked at Claire was enough to see that. More importantly he'd survived out there and knew how to handle himself. Still, it was probably best Jack didn't fully explain the nature of their journey.

@Link

After taking much time to examine her new patient, Alexis was able to determine that she was not infected. "Alright, she's clean." She smiled as she started wiping the blood off of Claire. Overall she was clean. If not, then Alexis would be ready to euthenize her, which she didn't really want to do. Suddenly, she started feeling a little tired. "Claire, you're gonna be okay, but I'm gonna need you to get some rest. You should be fine by tomorrow." She said, encouraging the girl to go ahead and get some rest before turning over to Evie. "Alright super-girl, you should rest up. Too much stress is going to weaken your immune system."
@Link @VengefulPeanut

Emil looked up from removing the dirt under his fingernails and listened to Jack. He smiled. He barely knew this man but he already trusted him. A huge flaw of Emil's was that he trusted people far too easily. He had been lucky in that regard so far, and had never fallen into a trap. That being said, Emil hadn't met many people to trust. He enjoyed taking the opportunity when he could. He nodded.
"Sure, I'll come with you. I owe you one, for her safety." Emil pointed at the medical tent with his thumb over his shoulder. "Again, thank you."
Emil scratched his beard before stepping forward and cracking his knuckles. "Just tell me what to do, I've got your back." He smiled at Jack.

Claire stared on at Evie as she spoke to Sean about this "Maddie" person. A confused look on her face, she adjusted herself as she sat on the bed. She released a sigh of relief as Alexis confirmed that she was not going to become a monster. She shut her eyes tight as Alexis cleaned the blood off of her. Claire opened her eyes again and they fixated on Alexis' large stomach. She still didn't know why Alexis' stomach was large but the rest of her body was small.
"What is that?" Claire asked in a rather quiet voice, pointing and looking at Alexis' bump.

When Claire asked about the bump of her stomach, Alexis only looked downwards to where the young girl was pointing at. Apparently she has not seen a pregnant woman up close before. Then again, she was still young, and spotting a pregnant woman around this time was probably really rare. "I'm having a baby, Claire." She replied. What to do next, she wondered. Since she didn't really have the capacity to work on Old Blue, Alexis decided to stick around the Medical Tent in case anyone else who was sick or injured came by and she could treat them almost immediately.
@Link

Jack Rollinson

"We've got to do a supply run," Jack began. "Come on. I'll explain as we walk." Heading out towards the gate, Jack walked somewhat slower than usual, occasionally tossing a glance to the watchtower. It was obvious his run was planned as his rucksack and rifle were already waiting for him, propped up on the wall by the exit. "There's a few delicate items we're going to need to acquire. The clinic has most of what we need, though. We're running low on painkillers and Lord knows Evie is going to need some soon," he explained, grabbing his rifle and throwing his bag over his shoulder. He unchained the gate and pushed it open slowly, the metal groaning as it scrailed across the ground. It was clear the gate had been modified from its original state - it was more fortified, built to withstand a large infected attack. "Other than that, there's a jewellers nearby. I've got to pick something up that's... well... for someone special to me. With all of the day's excitement, most of the infected should be out on the streets looking for food so moving through the alleyways and buildings should be a piece of cake." Jack started walking out down the road towards the town, the gate shutting behind the two men. He raised his hand in a farewell motion to the watchtower, aware that Ellen would be wondering where he was going. "So, what do you think of the camp?" he asked, looking to Emil. "It's nothing like those refugee camps on the East Coast, right?"

@Link

Emil followed Jack and listened to what he had to say.
"It's nothing like those refugee camps on the East Coast, right?"
Emil stopped dead in his tracks. He held his breath as images of terrible past events polluted his head. He brought his shaking hands through his hair and rested them on the back of his head. Looking down at the ground, he exhaled and cleared his throat. He hadn't told a single person about what he was forced to do to his girlfriend, Sadhbh, Claire's older sister. She was infected, and he shot her. The bottled up emotions were tearing him apart. Deep down he hated himself. He wanted to tell Claire what had really happened, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. But now he had someone to talk to other than a small girl. Emil looked up at Jack.
"No, it's not like them at all." Emil agreed, giving an uncomfortable chuckle. "I was in one of them for a while after all. That's where I met Claire, and..." Emil sighed. He couldn't bring himself to say Sadhbh's name. It brought to much guilt. He removed his hands from behind his head. "The whole place fell apart in less than a day. Infection. I'm lucky to have gotten out. I just wish the others were as lucky as I was. I lost someone very dear to me. I hope the same never happens to your camp."
He started walking again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Rollinson

"I appreciate the sentiment and... I'm sorry for your loss. I've lost a lot of dear friends and family too so I know how it feels." Jack sympathized in a regretful tone. "If it makes you feel any better, you should never have to live through something that horrible again - for both your's and Claire's sake. Those camps on the East Coast were a joke. Only ever meant to hold the refugees from Europe like cattle. The ones like ours? They were built to last. The US government's back up plan for if the virus ever reached American soil. I don't know why they ever abandoned the camp we live in but it's our home now and it's served us well." He rested his rifle over his shoulder as he walked. "Makes you wonder. If the government built these camps to last, completely self-sufficient, then maybe they're still out there. Maybe our armed forces are still out there..." He scanned the terrain as he vocalized his speculation, wary of the riled state the infected would be in. A supply run in these conditions was both ideal and dangerous. While the buildings would be barren and ripe for looting, the streets would be highly dangerous and littered with infected. One bad move and the two men could end up some poor soul's dinner. "I guess I should come clean seen as you are out here with me. I'm looking for a necklace of some kind, silver and feminine. It's a gift for a girl back at camp." He turned his head away in guilty embarrassment. "The things we do to make those we love notice us, eh?" he said as if almost to himself, a small chuckle following his sentence.

@Link

"Thank you, Jack, I'm sorry for your losses as well." Emil said, nodding, "I'm sure the army is still out there, bunkered up somewhere with enough supplies to live forever."
Emil smiled and laughed at Jack's confession. Resting his hand on his holstered revolver, he spoke, "Yeah, we men do some crazy things for girls. I know just how you feel. I'll aim to get you the most feminine silver necklace of them all!" Emil exclaimed jokingly. "Good luck with the girl, Jack, I know just how difficult they can be."
Emil kicked a plastic bottlecap and watched it slide across the ground before speaking again, "Do you think I could get anything around here for Claire? As a gift? Like, a toy, or a gun?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Rollinson

"Yeah, we men do some crazy things for girls. I know just how you feel. I'll aim to get you the most feminine silver necklace of them all!" Emil replied. "Good luck with the girl, Jack, I know just how difficult they can be." Jack scoffed abruptly, shaking his head slowly before looking back to Emil.

"I'll be honest," he said in a confessional tone, "I'm not even sure feminine or silver is the way to go. The girl it's for is a bit of an anomaly let me tell you. She likes to think she's superhuman... then again... there's a lot of that on camp." He rubbed his chin, clearly mulling the details over in his head. "I guess I'm walking a fine line between her blowing my head off or her jumping into my arms. Here's praying for the latter."

"Do you think I could get anything around here for Claire? As a gift? Like, a toy, or a gun?" Emil asked.

"A gun? No chance," he replied almost instantaneously. "We looted all of that a long time ago. I'd be happy to lend her a small sidearm from the armoury, though. Just... make sure to supervise her. As far as toys go, though, there's an old toy store not too far from the jewelry store. We never really thought to loot it or go in there so you might be in luck."

@Link

"Maddie: what do you think of her?"

The question set of a bit of an alarm. He knew it was kind of obvious that he had a particular... fondness of Maddie, and he detected in part the feeling was mutual. However, the extent of the feeling was to be determined. It was something Sean had not really considered thinking about, often too concerned with keeping her and the others safe. Relationship status was on the back burner. "Ye'll have ta cough up the booze first, darlin'. Me tongue's feeling a bit stiff, if you catch my meaning."

MADELEINE CYRIL
Maddie sat on the floor of the vegetable garden deep in thought. She preferred to sit in the little garden to contemplate and reflect on her life rather than out in the open. Something about this particular spot made her a bit more at ease. It wasn't anything great but it was something. Something alive compared to the death riddled world outside. A frown quickly crept its way onto her face. The thought of him disgruntled her entire being. She sometimes blames herself for his not being here. In truth its not her fault and she knows it. Maddie jumped to her feet and blurred away the thought. Better to not add guilt to mix of feelings she had. She made her way to the watchtower, still feeling the sting of her emotions but composing herself before reaching the top. "Hey, mind if I keep you company?"

Status
Not open for further replies.