Welcome to Atlantis

Liam mostly sat and relaxed while they were with the tailor, giving his input on occasion but admitting that fashion was never his thing, he liked simple and practical. When the need called for something more fancy he offered up that the Queen usually picked out something for him, as the Captain of the guard of course, because she didn’t trust what he’d pick for himself.

It took much longer than expected-but then Alden did need an entire wardrobe as opposed to just one or two replacement pieces as was normally the order, so Liam made the call of leaving Alden in the restricted quarters though without guard in a sense. Only one would remain posted outside the building itself which Laim explained was typical, guards were posted throughout Atlantis and on their way back he explained that while they were soldiers in a sense they were also there to help so ‘guard’ duty might easily turn into fixing a broken wagon wheel, or assisting in some other way.

After all, if there was very little crime there didn’t really need to be a whole lot of guarding.

“No need for thanks.” He gave with a shake of his head. “We’ll see to new quarters for you tomorrow.” Something already discussed as far as him staying one more night in the room he’d been occupying. “I will be busy with Atlantis on the move, however I will have one of the guild masters come for you so you can begin your days shadowing different duties.” So he could eventually pick a profession. “If all goes well I will be able to meet with you after dinner to show you new quarters.” At least until Alden moved into a guildhall that was.

Such was the plan and it would be carried out, with Liam arriving dutifully the next night. During the day Atlantis rose and for the first time it became clear that the sky they were seeing before was false. Once the island breeched the surface somewhere off the coast the barriers creating the false sky blinked away like a thousand little candles snuffed out. The island itself was massive so while it was in fact moving, navigating the Oceans, it was something that was barely felt, only if you were completely still and even then some would argue that you were just thick in the head. When Liam arrived as they started out, and would head for the castle, he wondered, “How was the first day?” And duty he’d been shown.

Because they had been at the tailor's for so long, it was decided he would stay another night in the restricted quarters room. But this time there would only be one guard placed outside the building. But the guard also posed as assistants to those who might stand in need of it. Alden had no issues with this, so he put up no arguments. But as Liam spoke, he said he would look into new quarters for him tomorrow and that the next day he would be busy with Atlantis's move. However, he was going to send for one of the guild masters to come and get him so he could begin looking into the different professions, and that if all went well he would see him after dinner to show him to his new quarters. With a nod, he retreated to his room and kicked off his shoes by the bed before falling back into the fresh sheets. With a sigh he looked up at the ceiling and then closed his eyes, relaxing. It was a very full day and by all the guilds they had passed, it looked as if he would be shadowing for quite a few people. Perhaps he should decide on what sounded interesting and tell Liam, so he didn't end up shadowing every guild master in the city.

He was sure that they had much better things to do with their time than to have Alden following around on their coat tails. He would have to put his memorization skill to the test to remember how things were done and then do his best to not get in their way tomorrow. As he drifted off, it didn't seem like long before someone came knocking at his door. It startled him awake, and he sat up. It wasn't yet dawn, still early. He wondered just who it could be. And as he went over and pulled open the door, he remembered that Liam was going to send one of the guild members to meet with him today. With bed head, he looked out at the man dressed in humble clothing much like his own. The man looked to be in his early fifties, heavily graying, built, but no taller than Alden. He smiled warmly at the young man staring back at him. It remained silent till the older male spoke up.

"Good Morning. I'm Ray..I'm the farming guild master. The captain sent word to me last night telling of me the situation. I understand your looking for a profession and you need someone to shadow. Get an idea for what you want to do. The sun is going to come up soon and we got loads and loads of work to get done so we need to get going." he said. Alden nodded and running his fingers through his hair fixed it, following after him and the farmers companion. An exotic looking cat creature he had never seen before. But like Liam had said, he didn't touch it and watched his words all day around the man and his companion. When the time came, he was sent back to his quarters to clean up. After he did, he dressed into one of his outfits that had arrived. Cleaned up, in fresh clothing, he just finished buttoning the last button when Liam came back for him. When they were headed towards the castle, he was asked about his first day. He smiled, glad that he was being asked.

"Great." he said. "Ray, the Farming guild master came and got me up before dawn. The work was very physical...demanding, but I enjoyed it." he said, completely relaxed. "He showed me just about everything that needed to be done day to day. And we had dinner before I came back. It just feels good to feel like I have a place here, that I can be of use or help to someone. And, based on the appearence of the sky today, It seems like you had a busy day too." he said, his eyes still locked with the grey one's belonging to the man next to him.

“Good, I am glad.” That Alden seemed to have a good enough first day, he hardly thought the other would overjoyed at the first profession he looked into but that was why they had many to sort out. After all even children did these shadowing days, though they were mostly much younger of course. Showing Alden around was no different really except Alden was able to help the guildmasters with some basic tasks of their jobs where the younger children would be unable to .

“We’ve arranged for temporary quarters, at least until your trade is picked, a few of your outfits are already there and we made sure the civil guild stocked your rooms with the basics you would need. Things like towels and wash to clean with and even bread and other foods as Alden would see.
Not veering from their intended back they continued for the palace, castle, grand hall or any other name you might want to use. “For now you will remain in my wing, it is marked by the blue.” He gave as there were blue accents leading down one hall from the great entry way they’d come upon. Liam saw it daily so such a thing did not impress him any longer and he beckoned the other to follow.

As they made their way towards the palace, Alden listened to him speak. They a had arranged temporary quarters for him where he would remain until he picked his profession. And it was to be stocked with the essentials of what he would need. As they continued to walk, and talk, he also learned that, that where they were headed, he would be staying. In the wing of the marble palace accented with a variety of beautiful blue jewels and stones he had never seen before. Stopping, he started at it a bit in awe. It wasn't as big as the big stone castle in England, but it was certainly more pleasing to the eyes. But Liam continued on their way and he followed after him after he was called upon once again. Walking down the hallway with him, he would glance around, taking it all in. It was an a amazing sight! But Liam didn't seem to think so, or he was so accustomed to it that it no longer impressed him. The blonde thought this was a bit sad. Having such beauty around oneself and just passing it by from day to day without a second glance or a second thought.

But As they arrived in the place where he would be staying, he saw the outfits neatly folded for him and placed on his bed. The room was also stocked with many of the things he would need. Wash, towels, and even something to eat. Smiling he looked back at him.

"Thank you." he said but looked exhausted after such a long first day at work. "If you don't need me for anything else, I think I'm going to retire early tonight..."

“Of course.” Liam offered with a slight nod of his head, “You are free to move about if you would like though I must ask that if you plan on going anywhere you stick to these halls with the Blue banners as other wings of the palace are for others.” Liam also explained that he would let Alden continue to work with different trades over the next few days so they’d see little of each other as Alden tried out different occupations.

Life would fall into routine if only for a short while, though one morning rather than another Atlantian come to show him a new job it was Liam who stood at the door with arms full of papers. “The hall of records have finished compiling the information regarding who your relative or relatives from Atlantis may have been.” He offered up to explain his appearance as he stepped in to set the paperwork down on the table. There was no mention of a companion because what Liam had learned about that…well if Alden’s companion didn’t appear naturally he’d have to take drastic steps. “I cleared your schedule for the day so you may review what was found. These are the records of all who have been exiled or willingly left and never returned. It includes their portraits as well as details about them.”

As life began to fall into a pattern for him, he took comfort in it. Never before had he had such consistency in his life. It was reassuring that he was contributing to this new place, this new world that had so much to offer him, So much he could learn. So far he had shadowed the Farming Guildmaster, The Blacksmith Guildmaster, The Quartermaster Guild master, and several others. So far his favorites that been the Black Smith and Farming guildmasters. All the heavy lifting during the day and the hard work made him feel accomplished by the end of the day. The following morning he expected another one of the guildmasters, but instead it was Liam, holding stack and stacks of papers. As he stepped in he explained that the hall of records had finished collecting the records they had of all Atlantians who were exiled or just left without looking back. It was also brought to his attention that his day was cleared so that he would have the entire day to review what had been found. With that, he didn't hesitate to go over to the desk and start sorting through the records. He didn't know if Liam would stick around, but didn't expect him to since over the past few days they had seen very little of each other.

As the hours passed, it was well into lunch time but didn't stop reading though all the records carefully. He was determined to learn whatever he could. It was a great deal of information to take in, but now was his chance. Now or never. Alden needed to know who he was, where he had come from...see the faces of the family he had never known. So as dinner had approached and he had not eaten anything, he finally narrowed it down to a few of the names in the records. But two people, in particular stood out to him. There was a man who had been exiled for a murder about, twenty five years ago, in Atlantian time, however it was they measured it...he wasn't sure yet. Around the same time a woman who was recorded to be near ready to give birth left Atlantis, the same morning the man had been exiled. There was no record of her returning either.

And looking at both of the photos, he could see similarities. His eyes appeared to have come from his mother, his jawline from his father. Here and there, it could bee seen that these two could easily be his parents. And the timing was right too with his age. Kiva and Silas. Sitting down on his bed, he sighed and smiled gently. His family, he had found them...at last. After all these years of wondering who they were, he now knew. It was late at night when he had finally finished and finally and settled down to eat something. Wondering if Liam would return for the rest of the records that night, or in the morning. But as he set the pictures lovingly to the side, he sorted though some more records, seeing if there as anything else he could find, but as he did he dozed off at the rest, the pictures of his parents situated right by his hand away from the rest of the files.

Liam did not stay, instead letting Alden spend the day combing through texts and pictures, histories and the likes. Liam returned to his normal activities of making sure things were running well then ditching work to relax in the field, or by the lake or any number of peaceful secluded places. He hadn’t been lying when he said he wasn’t a very social person, though he did tend to the ice need the shopkeep had mentioned even if Alden wasn’t aware of all that.

The following day it was again Liam, plan in mind, who knocked and entered Alden’s quarters. For now his plan would wait, “Did you discover anything useful?” He wondered, glancing over all of the papers and scrolls and what not. It had taken some time to obtain everything because it was all copied, the originals would never leave the hall of records for safety purposes. Svell was curled up as per usual though he had enough courtesy to stick his head out from under Liam’s hair to blink at Alden before he went back to lazing about. Svell knew what plans were in store for Alden and was looking forward to taken his revenge for being called both a lizard and a pet.

Alden was fast asleep, head against the desk though the whole night. But when he heard a knock on the door, his eyes shot open and he sat up, wincing in pain. Turning his head, he popped his neck and looked over as he saw Liam. He must have fallen asleep searching for more. But the photo's were still in his hands as he was asked what he had found. Smiling, he got to his feet and shoulders stiff, walked over to him. The files in his hands, along with the photos. He handed the file to Liam as he started to explain.

"A-About twenty five years ago...Not sure how it is measured here...if suns means years or what but about that long ago, an Atlantian by the name of Silas was exiled for the murder of another man after an argument. The next morning he was shipped out...but, a woman followed very close behind him. And she was very close to giving birth to her child. She left Atlantis the same morning his exile was enacted. And there is no record of her coming back, ever...The time line matches up with my year of birth, and it also explains why I grew up in England rather than down here. " he then flashed the photos in his hand. "Kiva and Silas. I also got the names of their parents so perhaps, one day I can try and find them here, in the city somewhere if they are still around. I'm sure I found my family...my parents. It's such a relief..." He looked down at the pictures. "And you can see the similarities too. My mother's eyes, my father's face...it has to be them."

He looked at him.

"Thank you for asking, but I'm finished with the records. I hope it is alright for me to keep the pictures. They are all I have of them..for now. But...What is there for me to do today? Should I go shadow another guild master? I think I"m starting to get an idea of what I want for my profession." he said.

Liam took the offered documents to glance over. The records were before his time so the names weren’t familiar to him but he did look over them as Alden spoke of what he’d read and learned. “Indeed.” He could see the resemblance and he could only assume the woman had left for her love-why else would someone with child leave Atlantis?

“Of course.” He gave, to the other’s question about keeping the pictures, “These are copies so all of it is yours. We can discard what you don’t need.” As for family, “We’ll have the record keepers see what relatives can be found, I’m sure there is some family left who would be pleased to meet you.” But that would come later. Liam took in the other’s state of dress and came to the honest conclusion that either Alden had been up all night or had at least never made it to bed. “For today I’d like to begin teaching you more about companions. I learn some information that might be useful, unless your companion has appeared?” He wondered, but that didn’t seem likely. “So I’ll leave you to get dressed and we’ll take breakfast to go.” He gave, leaving Alden long enough for the other to wash up and change while he gathered some breaks, dried meats and fruit in a small carrying sack which was slung over one shoulder.

“I assume by now you’ve seen many companions?” He questioned, what with the days spent helping out different guilds. “Have you had the chance to witness any of the abilities our companions have?”

When he was given the permission to keep the photos, he was relieved. Ever if they were just copies, he finally had pictures of his parents. After all the years of wondering who they were, what they looked like, where he came from...he had answers to all of this now. And he was home, also possibly close to his parents family. And he was even told that, that they would look into the extended family, to see if any was left here. He smile turned upwards more, into a grin of sorts. He was very pleased to hear that...hoping that some living relatives were close enough for him to go visit. Just the possibility of meeting his grandparents or aunts, uncles...it excited him a lot.

Having been on his own his entire life, he was just glad there was hope now. Where as before, there was none at all. But listening to the man, he nodded. He was going to learn more about companions. This was another topic he wanted to cover. He had grown a bit envious seeing the bonds that other Atlantians shared with their companions. Particularly Ray the Farming Guild master and Leon the Blacksmith Guildmaster and their companions. Ray's companion was a exotic looking cat creature and Leon's very large snake that lazed by the forging fires as Leon worked. But after he showered and dressed, he followed after Liam, dressed in the outfit he had been given when he first came here. At his question, he nodded.

"Yes, I've seen a lot of them...and to be honest, kind of makes me Jealous. I had hoped mine would appear by now...since we now know the blood ties to Atlantis are...direct. Strong enough to have a companion. But no, I've mostly been working, and they were showing me the work so I've not had the chance to see the companions different abilities yet."

Liam listened as Alden explained what he’d learned and who he’d learned it from as they walked. For his plan they needed to be away, far away, from prying eyes and help. He’d discussed his plan with the Queen of course-such things could not be done unannounced. What he had planned could possibly raise warning bells across the island so he had a section reserved for the event.

“I thought you’ve spent enough time in town, and yet Atlantis is full of untamed areas.” He gave in explanation as he led the other down a brick path that eventually turned to dirt and grass, leaving civilization behind in favor of what seemed to be barely touched rolling hills and fields. They’d walk a fair distance before stopping for food, in that time Liam would try to explain what youth normally spent years learning.

“Our companions are a piece of us, our strength. Just as each Atlantian has a job, each companion has a class. Alpha and Omega are the two main ranks. Each is broken up into ten separate levels. Omega’s 5-10 are what you could call the weakest-this does not devalue them as not everyone is meant to be a fighter, but for ability they do not have much. Svell as he is, would rank an Omega 5. Leon’s snake?” He paused ot make sure Alden knew who and what he was speaking about, “Would rank closer to a 10. The greater the number the less the ability. Does that make sense?”

The man followed Liam as they made their way down a brick path. He wasn't really paying attention as to where they were going. Rather he was focused on the captain's words. But he could tell, from the corner of his eye, that buildings were starting to thin out till eventually there was just miles and miles of deep green healthy grass. Liam's words were clear, and he clung to each of them and this chance to learn more about the companion he would hopefully have one day. There was a ranking system....Alpha and Omega. It didn't measure the companions worth, but their ability to fight. He had said that as Svell "Was" that he would he a five, and Leon's snake...a ten. But the higher the level, the more limited in abilities the companion had. Alden understood but looked a bit puzzled.

"As he is?" he questioned. "Svell can change?"

That was what the man's words had implied anyways...so he didn't get it. Leon's snake was much bigger than Svell, stronger looking as well. How could Svell be stronger than Leon's snake.

"What about Ray's Companion?" he asked, not knowing what to call the creature that was so Foreign looking to him. "What classify's as an Alpha?"

((oh god he’s so happy, and Liam’s gunna take him out back like old yeller’ >.>))

Liam nodded at the question, “We will get to that.” He gave, one thing at a time as they crammed years of study and lessons into one short walking trip. “The farmer?” He questioned, knowing most of the guildmasters as he was Captain of the guardsmens guild after all. “Hard to say, while each companion is recorded just as each Atlantian is, the rankings are not often shared. I do know that his companion aids in the crop growth so I would say closer to an Omega at the top levels, perhaps 1-3.” So as it stood there were ten levels to Omega’s with 1 being the best and 10 being the weakest in power.

“Alpha’s are ranked much the same way, a level 1 Alpha would be among the strongest ever recorded in our history. A level 10, while the weakest of the Alpha’s is still more powerful than an Omega level one.” So in essence there were twenty levels, ten for Alpha, ten for Omega. “The more powerful the companion…perhaps we should stop.” He gave, not meaning the conversation but moreso the walk, it would be easier to focus this way, plus they’d reached the center of the area he’d requested, and they still had breakfast to eat. Finding a grassy area he moved to sit so they could rummage through the cloth sack and eat. Svell was immediately given a piece of dried jerky to gnaw on.

When he asked his question about Svell, he was told that they would get to it. He nodded but frowned a bit but continued to listen. His ears sharp and ready to pick up any information that was offered to him. The next fact he head learned was that, much like Atlantian's, companions were recorded as well. So that was what the names next to his parent's were. They were not surnames, but the names of their companions. He wondered what had become of the companions of the exiled or those who willingly left Atlantis. Since it didn't seem like they could leave with their other half. But from what he had picked up on, there were ten levels of Omega, so he assumed the same for Alphas...the assumption was correct. Then as Liam was going to continue, but stopped, panic rose a bit, thinking he might not shed any more light on the subject. Eagerly, he followed the dark haired man's lead and joined him on the grass.

"The more powerful the companion...what?" he asked, hoping he would pick it back up soon. There was an expectant look on his face as well. When he was given his breakfast, he picked at it, eating slow as so he didn't miss anything that was said to him. He wanted to know everything he could about the companions. Because perhaps, Liam had learn why Alden didn't have his own yet. Anything that he knew that could possibly encourage his companion to appear seemed to be of interest to him.

“The greater their ability?” It was more of a question and he shook his head, how did you explain something that was as natural as breathing? He’d never had to explain such a thing before because he’d grown up with his companion, they all had.

“Take Svell for example.” The gray dragon paused in his meal to blink up at the raven haired male. “As an Omega level five he is small…” he frowned, no that wasn’t a good place to start. “ Omega 10s, the most common companions are those like the snake. A common creature you would see in the rest of the world, their abilities are limited. Say they control fire, they’d be only able to start a small one, like a campfire, or one for a hearth.” Which was a whole other thing entirely but Liam didn’t really realize that such powers were unknown to Alden.

“While Svell is smaller than the snake he ranks higher because you do not see creatures like Svell often in this world. Dragons. The power Svell and I share is ice.” Here Svell dutifully puff out a little cloud as he had before when angered, glittering as it faded from the tiny ice crystals, more cute than anything.

Alden nodded as he said to take Svell for an example. The little grey creature then stopped, and looked up at the man whom he had taken to as a companion. Liam stated that for a level five Omega, in his current state, he was small...but Omega's higher up on the spectrum were more common creatures that were still companions but were still, no matter how you looked at it, common. That they only had small abilities like lighting a campfire or a hearth. But even if Svell was smaller, he was ranked higher because he was....a dragon. An Ice Dragon to be exact, and they were not common, rare even. Even for Atlantis, a land filled with many wonders he had yet to see for himself. Emerald eyes widened at the comment and shifted back down to the little beast. A little puff cloud of snow seemed to come from it's mouth. So it was Svell who had frosted over the windows when he first met Liam in the restricted quarters.

"Dragon?" he asked. "But...he is so small." he said. "Back home, in England, they had tales of dragons but they were...absolutely huge." he said. "Big wings, ate humans, breathed fire...."

Examining the little creature with his eyes, he tilted his head a bit. "So...what does he really rank? As a dragon...I would guess fairly high...or, low...for that matter. An Alpha?" he asked, looking back up to Liam.

Svell preened for about oh, two seconds, when Alden questioned his breed…and then commented on his size. Hackles were up again with a growl that was really not all that intimidating at all. “Yes…and you’ve offended him.” Again, was left hanging in the air. Forgetting his jerky Svell circled in the grass near Liam, spitting ice and snow the way Alden imagined a dragon would breath fire from the tales he’d heard. When there was enough coating the space he simple dove straight into it and disappeared, similar to how one might disappear beneath the surface of lake water, yet the ground was indeed frozen.

“Yes. Svell is an Alpha. If he were to roam about in his given form he and I would be apart often-he wouldn’t fit in the city without causing some sort of destruction. As an Alpha his abilities are greater and so he has the ability to shift forms at will, though we share power to make it so.” Liam didn’t seem concerned that Svell had simply vanished into the solid ice patch on the ground. “We should move.” He gave, quickly packing up even as the ice began to spread, ushering Alden ahead of him as they made space, while the ice patch before had been little more than two hands in size it had grown considerably by the time they were clear of it. “Alpha level 10, right now.” Liam commented, listing off the weakest classification of an Alpha just before the ice shattered, a gray and blue blur erupting from the earth. Gray wings spread, lofting the much larger and heavier frame down to the ground. Svell now stood the size of a horse, though with an elongated neck and horned head he was much taller than the average stead. This version was winged, spikes running down from neck to tail-resembling the dragons Alden was familiar with from lore though still on the small side and clearly, not happy.

Not a second after he had made his comment about Svell's size, the little creature raised it's hackles and growled at him. Yet again, he had offended the small beast, but this time he seemed to take much more offense to it. But then he started circling around in the grass near Liam, spitting snow and ice. It continued until there was a considerable about of it, then he disappeared...into the solid ground. His eyes widened even more. There was no way possible. And when Liam continued, disclosing his companions real size in terms of the city, his mind wandered. Svell had to have been massive to not be able to fit in the city without causing any destruction. As he was told they needed to move, he didn't hesitate to follow along and as they cleared the patch of frozen solid ground Liam made a comment about his new ranking. Alden flinched and took a few steps back as the Ice shattered and the brand new Svell emerged. Now, the beast looked more like the creatures in England's tales of knights and princesses. Standing much bigger, he tensed, this version of the once cute creature made him uneasy. The dragon looked very angry, and he glanced over to Liam, wondering if he was going to rein in his companion. But it didn't appear so...and based off the captain's words...he got much bigger than this. Not knowing what to say, he took a few steps back, clearly uneasy.

"Well...He is...much bigger..." he said. "It's most certainly...Impressive..."

Liam remained in place allowing Alden to shift back and somewhat hide behind him as Svell’s blue eyed gaze focused on the other. Claws stamped against the ground, making certain the other realized he was NOT small. “This is what the weakest of the Alphas would appear as. Size can vary, as does the type of companion but they are strong.”

Liam stepped forward as Alden retreated, hand reaching out and brushing under Svell’s jaw, not seeming to be frightened in the least, of course he wouldn’t Svell was his companion. Snorting a much larger cloud of white was emitted but inwardly Liam soothed Svell, it was far too early for what they had planned. “The stronger the Alpha, the higher the rank, the larger and greater the ability. The shopkeep? We saw in town? He spoke to me because the ice lake up near the mountain is no easy trek. With the warm summer they’ve had to work hard to bring ice down so we can store food and keep it from spoiling. Svell can, in this form, easily freeze a stream here and save them the trip.” And he’d done so. At least the comment about being impressive had the gray dragon calming.

Alden jumped in his skin a bit as the creature stamped the ground. He felt it shake underneath his feet and he absolutely tensed. Hearing Liam's words, it was a bit difficult to take in. This was what the weakest of the Alpha's looked like? Then he didn't know if he even wanted to see a level one Alpha. The blonde, emerald eyed Atlantian man would never doubt the dragon's strength again. He had no doubts that even in this form, he far out sized and out ranked any of the other companions he had seen thus far. Alden thought him insane, to see him approach the angry dragon. But Liam had no fear of his companion. Why would he? Svell would not hurt his own Atlantian companion. For if anything happened to Liam, Svell would suffer as well. He remembered what the dark haired man had said about Companions joining them in death.

He, still tense, his heart beating quickly, listened to his tale about helping the man in town. Liam must have used his companions abilities to assist in bringing Ice down into town so the food did not spoil.

"H-He gets bigger than this?" he asked, swallowing a lump in his throat, still clearly, very uneasy. Even if the dragon was calming down with the assistance of the Atlantian in front of him. "In his full size...what does he rank?"

Because by all he had said so far...it led him to believe that Svell was nowhere near his full size. "A-And why are you showing me this...when you can just tell me?"