Welcome to Atlantis

Liam listened, leading Alden through the gardens, there was no official tour to Atlantis, it wasn't like this sort of thing happened often or ever. He supposed he'd take him through town and perhaps to some of the various guilds, whatever they could fit into the day.

Above them a blue sky, clouds and sun, no indication that Atlantis existed far beneath the waves, hidden from sight and yet not far from the coast of England.

"I understand." He offered back, and he did in principle even if the idea of thievery was well, just not common. Everyone had enough. Resources were managed to ensure it and while their population numbered over a thousand there were not shortages, if there were, everyone spread the burden evenly from Queen to quarterly.

"I assure you such methods will not be necessary here." Or tolerated but that went unsaid. "Were there any professions you had interest in?" He tried, "Every capable citizen pulls weight, together we are greater than the sum of our pieces. Most follow their interests, others are assigned to positions best suited to their talents." He explained, "I would like to show you the guild homes of several trades however we will not have time enough today to explore all. Are there any you are interested in? Blacksmith, textile, farming, quartermaster, civil?" There were more of course. "If you have no preference we can visit those nearest the capital." Which would allow them to see the most. As they walked they left the courtyard behind and entered into the outskirts of town, wide clean brick roads lined with buildings and stalls but no merchants pedaling wears, no one trying to get a schilling from you. There were no gangs of children, pickpocketing and instead young ones raced around with laughter, chased by a few mothers watching over the flock-as it were. Animals too of all shapes and sizes, normal looking ones like cats, dogs, even some rats and the likes, others too much like Svell that resembled creatures of myth and legend.

The culture itself ranged everywhere from the building designs to the clothing warn. English, Germany, France, those were easy enough to spot, though others were foreign like the oriental designs.

Much to his relief, Liam seemed to understand what his situation had been and didn't seem to be too bothered by it. But he understood that in most any society, that stealing would not be tolerated. Only having stolen out of the pure need to survive, he now knew that here...he wouldn't need too. As they walked though the gardens and towards the city and he was asked about professions he was interested in, none really came to mind. But he listed a few options and a few perked his interest. But what most of all caught his attention was that they were willing to give him a job. So just maybe they would let him stay, permanently. It gave him some hope anyhow, of not having to go back up and fight tooth and nail for his next meal, or struggle to stay warm in the winter or cool in the summer heat. Alden didn't want to go back to being a thief. If he did, it was going to catch up to him someday. Then he would loose his hands.

"I don't really have a preference..." he said. "So a visit to the ones you think most suitable would be a good option. I'm not really sure what I'm good at to be perfectly honest... I've only had to steal. "

The further they got into the city, the more he noticed that there were scores of children running around. Laughing, playing, just having the time of their young lives. Even dogs bounded happily and absent minded, their minds only set on the playing children around them. Content to just join in their games. And other less recognizable creatures ran, scurried, and flew about. It made him wonder what his companion was like as he stole a glance at Svell, then looked back out at the streets they walked though. He smiled more, warmly this time. If his grandparents or parents had chosen to stay here? The man could only imagine how much differently he would have grown up. Perhaps there would have been people who cared for him, he would have his companion by now, and already landed a job. Seeing the buildings and clothing that the citizens wore, he could see different cultures he had only seen in pictures, in books that had been thrown out by nobles. There was so much diversity and life that surrounded the city, it seemed, so much light and beauty in the small corner had seen so far. He was utterly dumbfounded why anyone would want anything from up there. Compared to down here, it seemed as the other lands and nations didn't have much to offer. Not that the way Atlantis seemed to anyways.

"No one knows what they are good at without trying. " Liam didn't expect the other to instantly know what he'd be good at but hadn't been sure if the other was interested in any trades. With a general course set they walked through town.

In lue of vendors and salesmen trying to score a deal or talk up a customer it seemed staff assisted customers. Children took from a fruit cart without fear and the only negative words that came from the stall worker was a simple reminder. "Take all you need, eat all you take." A few seemed to think about their selections, none grabbing for more than one piece of fruit or if they did making sure the stall worker knew it was for a parent, or sibling.

"This area is run mostly by civil guildsmen. They are tasked with ensuring that stalls are stocked, tallying inventory and managing orders. They make sure to pass information along to other guilds, 'need more fruit' 'too much fruit' to ensure there is never too much or too little." Stalls and shops had everything from food, clothing, pottery and more. As they walked people waved, offered up friendly greetings. The mothers in charge of the young ones herded them away with smiles.

"Ah, Liam." An older man stated, though he knew by now not to use the dark haired man's title he was no guard himself so he did not address him as Captain. Liam didn't seem to mind. "We'll be placing an order soon for ice. The boys have been to the ice lake twice this moon, may be time for a bit of a break."

Confusing statements that merely had Liam nodded, "It may take a day or two, if we can hold them off until then and I will be able to aid them." Because that's what Captains of the guard apparently did, some sort of ice retrieval. Continuing to move along he wondered, "Is there anything you'd like to know that I might answer? I apologize for being lacking in skill, I've never had to show someone around Atlantis."

The man listened carefully as Liam started to explain this part of the city to him. This area was run by guildsmen. Their job? They made sure all the stalls had just enough of what they needed and not so much of the things that didn't sell quite like they should. They also passed along information to the other guilds to help maintain the balance they worked hard to maintain. Check, he was pretty sure he got that one. It shouldn't be too hard to remember. But as he committed it to memory, something he was good at, memorizing. It was the one thing he knew that he was good at, but didn't say anything about it because he didn't think there was any profession here that might benefit from it. But then again, he had never had a job before...so what did he know? But now didn't seem like the prime time to let Liam know that. But as they continued walking, another man stopped him, speaking to him by name. He didn't have a clue as to what they were talking about, but did listen anyways. The Ice Lake? A Moon? He could ask those questions later, right now he was just paying attention to pick up any details that he could on his own, so he wouldn't have to bother the dark haired man with so many questions later on. But as the friendly exchange came to an end, he looked to him and stopped again. A question was nagging at him, so he had to ask...after all, Liam has asked.

"It is okay, I understand. This does not seem to be a very common experience. But..." he said. "I do have a question. It does not have to do with the careers but it does concern my heritage. If my grandparents or Parents left here...and I was born up there, is there any way to know who they were or are? Any documents of them leaving or if they came back...? If she was...pregnant when she left? Or documentation explaining why he left? Or if only one of my parents or grandparents was from here? I...don't know anything about my parents. It would be nice to know...who gave me life." he said. "I apologize for all the questions, I have just been thinking about it...a lot."

He gave him an look, it looked a bit sad but he would understand if there was no lead. After years of not knowing, and bounds and bounds of knowledge before him, he wanted to learn, he wanted to live and not just survive.

"And...about the companions...are they with the Atlantian since birth? Or...what? If I really am Atlantian...How are we going to find mine?"

It was a bit sad to think that, if they were with them since birth, then his companion had been waiting, perhaps searching this entire time with no luck.

Liam listened closely to the questions, sighing-they were expected but not easy to answer since the truth was, there was much they did not know. Nodding a little as he mulled them over as they walked, heading away from the business district and towards more open space. Despite the fact that he'd referenced Atlantis as an island-much the same way England was, no space so far seemed to be stacked on top of each other, all carefully planned and spaced apart. They were heading into the guildsmen areas, larger buildings spaced further apart for different trades.

"As you mentioned, this situation is unique in my time, in recalled history even. We are consulting with the hall of records, our written history, to see what information can be provided." As for his question, "I assume parents or grandparents, perhaps just one, perhaps the lineage goes further back. Only those with our blood may set foot on this island which means you are from here, though it's never been tested to see how many generations removed are able to." So it was a shot in the dark there, perhaps his parents, or at least one of them, was from Atlantis, perhaps they had no notion and it was a distant relative instead. "We keep records of all who leave and return, you see, Atlantis is the realm between worlds. We balance the world you know and a world you believe to be myth and legend, both are as real as the other."

They continued walking, passing guild buildings for farming, herding, textiles, smithing and more. Seemed every occupation had a building for its tradesmen and women too it seemed. "To maintain order some must leave, protect the lands while Atlantis focuses mostly on the seas. Rarely, but on occasion others are exiled, though it has been many sun cycles since that last occurred. If it was one of your parents, or grandparents there may be images of them in the hall of records that you resemble, if such information is located we will share it." But honestly, that was about all they knew on that one.

"As for a companion…" He lifted a hand, briefly touching at Svell's midsection that rested around the front of his neck, no response or movement from the lazy creature. It was unnerving to think about being without his companion, his other half. "That too, we are asking the hall of records to assist with. What I can tell you is what is told to all Atlantians…As we are the realm between worlds 'we' represent this one, our companions are our equals from the next. You do not pick your companion nor do they pick us.

What we know is that when a new Atlantian is born there is no companion, we are born into this world alone." Which was strange to say considering parents would be there alone but Liam was speaking only of the fact that they were born without a companion present, "Any time from birth beyond a companion will become known, simply appear. All Atlantians have companions, before they can walk. Our companions remain with us throughout our lives and join us in death so that we do not face the next life alone." There was so much more to it than that but it at least explained the importance of a companion and their link. "Perhaps because you were not here, in the realm between worlds your companion could not join you, perhaps our heritage in your blood is too weak. It is too soon to tell." Perhaps not the best answers but the honest ones.

How would they find Alden's companion? If only it worked like that, "The hall of records will locate any information of similar experiences, do not think too heavily on it for now." Their talk was taking them beyond the guides and into rolling hills, dotted with homes and fields with farm and live stock, Liam did not take them further than the current view they had at the edge of the city, remaining here to see if there were further questions he could answer.

When he spoke, Aldwin listened to him. The Captain was already on top of it though, already consulting with the place where they kept all their records. As he heard it, there was some hope of finding some Atlantian relatives...his parents he hoped. Or at the very least one of his close relatives. His father, mother, grandmother, or grandfather. One of them surely had to be there, it was a bit lonely not knowing any of his own family. It wasn't something he had to know, but he wanted to. The blonde kept in stride with the dark haired man, continuing to listen. He kept an eye out, noting where all the guilds were for the different occupation. He would have to look into them before he picked what he would be spending the rest of his day doing here in Atlantis. But perhaps, he should wait and see what the situation was with his companion first. If he would be getting one. It remained to be seen if his bloodline was strong enough for a companion to appear. Alden was now anxious for them to finish pulling all the records and information they had on him or anyone resembling him. But if one of his relatives had been exiled, it would make sense for him to have been born in the world above and to not have known of his heritage.

But as he changed subject to his other question about the companion, he continued to pay attention. Alden watched the way that Liam reached up and touched Svell. There was a tenderness in it, he could tell there was a vast amount of affection for the creature he carried with him. It made him smile more. But he nodded at his words. All they would have to do was wait. He had no control when or if his companion would appear and they didn't choose each other. It only made him more curious though so he couldn't follow though with that request. As they stopped and he looked out over the view, he smiled peacefully and looked over at the man at his side.

"I guess I will just have to wait then...right?" he asked. "How long do you think it will take to dig up that information?"

He looked back over at the view.

"You don't get a view like this in London..." he said and sighed. "Just grey buildings for miles and miles...I can breathe out here."

Turning, he looked back at him.

"I know I haven't seen much. But The people around the city seem to have a respect for you. The Captain guards back in England hardly ever leave their castles and manors. They don't talk to the people except for the lords and kings that rule over him..."

Sighing he moved to lean against the fence railing, separating the fields and crops. "I confess, I do not know much outside of Atlantis, while we send Atlantians out to protect the world, I myself have never left." So what he knew of the world was from records and teachings and stories. "But here, everyone shares the burden of survival, there is no currency, no wealth or poverty-not what I suspect you had in London anyway. The people will always outnumber the ruler, therefore it is counterproductive for the ruler to do anything but act in the peoples best interest. So the same goes from other's with title or rank." He shrugged, turning so that he could face the city once more.

"Atlantis is no paradise. Everyone contributes. That being said, you do have a choice and I am sorry to thrust it upon you. Atlantis is not stationary, if it was we could not effectively maintain the balance. This means that, as our duty here is complete, the island will be moving soon." He shifted, arm going to the fence as Svell seemed to wake and through a combination of crawling and slithering the gray creature moved down the stretched arm, down the fence post and skittered off to chase and snap at a few bugs.

"We do not control the movement of the island, it goes where it will be needed most. What I mean by this Alden is that if you choose to remain, beyond tomorrow, Atlantis will become your home, you may never see England again. I am sorry we cannot offer more time for you to make your decision."

Alden watched his movements and then sighed, chuckling a bit and shook his head. The man had no idea how right he was.

"Your right. The life the people share here...the people of London would revel in it. The king is a dictator. Those who don't pay their dues are publicly hung or beheaded. Thieves get a hand cut off, liars who lie directly to royalty get their tongue cut out. No mercy, just absolute rule. No exceptions...Social classes are divided by how much money one has. But it has no chance to change because wealth is practically inherited. Most obey out of fear and not respect....unlike here. So trust me Liam...Atlantis is paradise compared to up there...." he said a bit sadly. "At least here, people have the opportunity to contribute. Some would like to up there, they are simply not given the chance because of their title or social class. So..." he trailed off, thinking how the island of Atlantis moved around and changed locations. That soon they would be drifting far from here. "It isn't a difficult choice for me to make. I want to stay here...I want to work, contribute. Not worry about where my next meal is coming from. Even if you say it isn't paradise, I'm lucky to be here now. " he said smiling at him. "So it's okay...however...I know it may not be my place but..."

He thought about it more.

"Captains are allowed to smile. We are Atlantian, not inanimate objects. Were allowed to show emotion. Smile when we are happy. Unless my company displeases you so much." he teased softly.

Soon the day would be over and he had made his choice.

"If I'm keeping you from anything important, I can leave you be and just go back to the restricted quarters and retire for the evening early. I'm sure you are a busy person and there dose not seem to be much we can do now besides wait for the records."

Svell slithered around, snake like and yet scrambling on little limbs as he chased a beetle into the wheat field beyond the wood fence. Liam didn't seem bothered by this turn of events, nor surprised, so while Svell seemed content to be a decoration mostly he wasn't always a lazy companion.

He listened as Alden reasoned out his existence above with what he'd seen of Atlantis already and Liam nodded, he wouldn't try to pressure the other either way, he'd made it clear several times that everyone contributed, all worked and helped here. If Alden was accepting of that so be it. "I will let her majesty know. Normally children apprentice with the various guilds and tradesmen, seeing what they do for a few day to help the young ones determine their profession, we'll do the same for you. Once you've picked you'll be moved to the guild hall, or a home should you start your own family." This was of course planning way out.

"For now we'll see to temporary quarters-the restricted area is not meant for long term use." And besides, while they were nice enough rooms they weren't exactly for 'guests'.

He blinked though, features pulling in at Alden's comment, frowning in thought even as he was told to smile. "I…no that's not it." While it was true this wasn't something he was entirely comfortable with it had nothing to do with Alden personally. It was just something new, and new didn't happen often in Atlantis, at least not like this. "I assure you, I am just not a very…social person." Was about the best description. "I get lost in my thoughts." And his features often reflected that, that he was being teased seemed to sail right over his head though this seemed a personality trait as those they'd seen in town had been happy and friendly. 'Fun' was not one of the words often used to describe him. "if you'd like we can head back for lunch and see about basic items you'll need and obtaining temporary housing?"

As he listened to the dark haired captain's plan, he nodded. It was probably for the best, just so he could get an idea of what each profession did on a day to day basis. Alden didn't want to be stuck with something he completely despised. But it was his next words that made his eyes widen in surprise and he tensed a bit. Start a family? He barely knew Liam here, and still, he felt like there was a major part of him he was unaware of. But to have a family, here? It seemed like a very distant time and place from this moment. Besides, his experience with romance we very limited. He had only seen how couples were with each other, he had never actually been in a serious relationship. Or a relationship...ever. Surviving was all he had, had time for. But perhaps down here, he would meet someone, and now he would have the time. He did appear a bit flustered as Liam continued, speaking of moving him to a temporary quarters. That was fine with him, wherever was fine. The man certainly wouldn't be picky, not in the least. Anywhere here, was better than up there.

But he did notice something else. As he had tried to tease him, it went in one ear and out the other. He didn't seem to understand and instead of smiling, he just frowned more. Liam had told him it was because he wasn't a very social person, and he could guess that something so strange happening after so much normalcy here, it would en enough to throw anyone off balance. But he just chuckled a bit and looked at him again, smiling.

"I can tell." he said referencing his 'lost in thoughts' comment. "You have been doing that all day...you look like your thinking hard on something and you start to frown. Your going to give yourself wrinkles like that you know."

He couldn't help but tease him, even if he didn't pick up on it. Perhaps, sometime he would.

"But it seems like the people know who you are, and that has to count for something."

And then again, he didn't know the true reasoning behind the people knowing exactly who he was. To Alden, Liam was a captain. Prince had never crossed his mind.

"But Yeah, that sounds good. I'm hungry." he said. "But just so were not confused on the matter...I, um, the whole starting a family option. That...is probably going to be quite off in the distance...I don't know what is expected of me on that front but...I'd say settling down and getting my career, and records...waiting for my companion to appear.... I would say it's a good start..."

It was very clear the subject of love and affection, of starting families and being in a romantic relationship made him a bit flustered. That was a whole new thought process to him, a whole new possibility. Never had that been an option for him before. But now that it was, it was something he would have to face, eventually.

The teasing, funny enough, had his features pulling again, thinking about the idea that his expressions of thought would cause wrinkles. Moments later he merely shook his head on the subject. "Of course they know me." He offered up, to the other Atlantians recognizing him, and it wasn't just his Prince title that caused that. "I am Captain of the guard it is my duty to ensure the safety of all." So it would be silly if he didn't know the citizens nor they him, "But I understand that differs from London." As Alden had described already.

Svell appeared as he called him silently, through the connection they shared, the gray little lizard like dragon crawling up the fence and Liam's arm to rest himself around the dark haired male's neck once more. Pushing off the fence they headed back for town as Alden explained his thoughts on starting a family and Liam blinked in confusion before sigh, these…cultural barriers were difficult and many in number. "What I meant…is that once you pick a profession you will become an apprentice. During this time you will reside in the guildhall belonging to your trade. This is… shared quarters? Barracks? Dormatories?" He wasn't sure if any of the terms would be something Alden understood. "Once this time is complete should you find love, it is acceptable to move out of the guildhall and into personal quarters, regardless of whether or not your relationship can produce children, it's mostly for privacy."

Liam didn't take them back to Alden's quarters and instead led him into one of the café like buildings, everything seemed relaxed as they were not seated by hosts or anything of that nature, the day's menu posted for them, written in Atlantian but something Alden would be able to read no less. This particular food establishment served dishes from the Orient, heavy with rice and some with spices that weren't even found in Alden's part of the world.

Alden was quite amused with the fact that this stately man before him didn't understand the concept of teasing someone. So he would have fun with this overtime, until he grasped the concept. But as the captain stated that it was his duty to ensure the safety of everyone citizen, and that because he knew them, they knew him as well. Liam claimed to be not very sociable, but how could he not? The citizens really seemed to care for him and vice versa. From what he had seen anyways. Soon after, he saw Svell come crawling back to the dark haired man, and with that they headed back towards the town they had left behind them not too long ago. As they walked, his concerns were addressed. However, there was a detail in his last statement that grasped the blonde's attention. He had said that if one found the love of their lives they were allowed to move into a private residence together, even if the relationship did not produce children.

There was only a few different situations in which a romantic relationship wouldn't produce children...that was if a woman was romantically involved with another or...if a man was romantically involved with another man. Back in England at the time, those relationships were strictly prohibited. He even knew a few men and women caught in the act, had been beheaded before their families as an example. They had seemed like good people, and to him...love was love. No matter who it was the other fell in love with. So to hear it was permitted here, he could relax some. The man had never identified with any sexual preference because he had never fallen in love or vice versa. Perhaps, he thought, he would figure that out someday.

As they entered a smaller building, he could smell something amazing. His senses lit up and his stomach growled. It all smelled delicious. The menu was written in a language that he could now read and speak. Not ever having been taught to read, it surprised him. But none of the dishes were recognizable. So when it came time to order, he picked the most unusual dish on the menu. He had wanted to try it all. Every last bit of the food he had never had before. Turning a bit, his eyes carefully studied the man besides him, paying attention to what he would order...getting an idea of foods he liked. It seemed that he would be spending a bit more time with Liam than any other person here in Atlantis, at least for now. It wouldn't hurt to know at least some of his preferences.

"Pad Thai." He gave, when their orders were taken, "Egg rolls as well, please." Liam requested. Around his neck Svells head peaked out from under his unruly hair, slit blue orbs carefully watching like a hungry mutt for a scrap.

Liam let Alden order, expecting him to question if he had any concerns over the meal, the one he did want to be sure of was, "I would suggest mild or no spice unless you are familiar with spicy foods." Which from the sounds of it, Alden was not. Once this was clarified the waiter of sorts stepped away briefly, returning with fresh glasses of water for both of the guests and a plate with three egg rolls, as well as three small plates. One was placed before Alden while the other two were put in front of Liam with the rolls on a fourth plate between them.

The reasoning for this was clear enough, Liam took two of the three rolls and slithering down from his perch Svell made himself at him, tiny claws and fangs digging into his eggroll. And from Liam to the waiter to even other patrons eating their meal this did not seem odd at all.

"Any other questions I could answer for you? I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you that would benefit you here as I am not familiar with England."

The food that Liam ordered, like the rest of the menu, was a meal item he had never heard of before. But as the waiter had left the three of them alone for a few brief moments, he returned with several items. The first was the empty plates. One as placed before him and the other two in front of Liam. He just waited, watched as the dark haired captain took two of them. With one of them placed on the seemingly spare plate, Svell crawled down from his spot upon Liam's shoulders and took possession of the food in front of him. And with a quick glance around the room, he noticed that no one found this in the least bit odd. It seemed that this was perfectly normal here in Atlantis. And if it was as the man in front of him said it was, then it became even less strange. If these creatures had grown up with these people, it only seemed sensible and a form of affection with someone they shared a close bond with.

So he didn't pay it much attention. But he did think that the more he was around the little creature, the more fond he grew of the little beastie. Alden could see why it was so easy to grow close to such a creature. But it still made him wonder if his blood relation was close enough to shared a bond like what Liam had with Svell. It remained to be seen...so he didn't think too much of it. Instead he took his eggroll and took a bit. He smiled blissfully. The food was delicious and he hated the fact that he had missed out on such food before now. When the man across himself spoke, he met his eyes and didn't wavier. As he finished his sentence, he took his turn to speak.

"If...one or both of my grandparents or mother or father was from here, but one or both of them was exiled...it would make sense as to how and why I was born in England.." he said. "And perhaps why I was left to my own devices...but how would they get exiled? What would they have to do in order for a punishment like that to occur...?" he trailed off to listen for an answer but more seemed to pour off his lips.

"And...your welcome to ask questions too you know...get to know the stranger? Some of his world perhaps?" he said a bit teasingly, but meant it. "I do have a lot of questions, but most of them we are waiting on, for the records. Perhaps after the records come back I will have more...focused questions to ask. "

Svell just munched, munched, munched, happy little dragon he was. He might not have the ability to smile, especially with his mouth full of food but the happiness reached his eyes at least. As it would seem Svell was happiest lazing about and eating.

Liam ate with the use of two straight and long sticks though traditional English utensils were also present. "Exile is not a common occurrence. It has occurred only once in my time and it was over a murder, a jealous lover's rage." Petty theft and the likes didn't really exist so no exile for things of that nature. "It is far more common for young men and women to venture out to learn of the world we protect, provide us knowledge and insight into cultures while trying to also better the world itself. The trouble with that is the risk. Atlantis moves as it pleases and while Atlantian's can always feel the call of the city, it may be too great a journey."

He thought about it, when the other pointed out that he too could ask ques.tions, not realizing this was a bit of teasing too since he felt he had been asking questions, what did he do in England, what sort of job he wanted and the likes. Thinking on it for a few moments he wondered, "Are the clothing to your liking so far? We've provided what seemed to match the clothing you arrived in." But of course the clothing they'd given were new, fresh and complete, not mismatched pieces of outfits. Liam of course wore an entirely different style of dress just as he dined with different utensils.

Alden had noticed the way Liam was eating and quite frankly, it confused him. It seemed to work for the purpose of eating though. He noted that to himself, he should ask the captain about that. But as he went on to explain just how rare an occurrence exiling someone was, it made him a bit more optimistic about possibly discovering who his parents might be. Though it was entirely possible that his grandparents or parents had left to just explore and just couldn't catch up with Atlantis again...if one or both had been exiled, then the records wouldn't be too difficult to comb though. At Liam's question though he glanced back over at him and nodded.

"It is comfortable. " he said. "Much like the clothing I came in. The material feels different, but not in a bad way. Not at all." he said. "Typically the poor folks wear things like this. Those more...well of wear expensive clothing. Silks and the likes. Big fancy dresses for the woman and stuffy looking suits for 'English gentlemen'. he said, the last two words, obviously had bit of distaste to them. "But...the way you dress. I've never seen anything like it. Not even in the photographs in the books the rich side used to throw out..." he then glanced to his hands and spoke again. "And how is it even possible to eat like that? Forks, Knives, spoons...they seem a bit more..efficient." and by that he meant the two sticks in his hands that Liam was using to eat.

Glancing over, he saw Svell munching on the egg roll that seemed nearly as big as he was. It made him chuckle a bit, but smiled at the little creature. It was cute, seeing him so happy with his meal. Looking back up, he had one more question. Upon meeting him, he had felt there was something off about Liam. He had given a rank position and his name but besides that,seemed rather secretive. Alden wanted to know more, so brushing a bit of his somewhat shaggy hair out of his eyes, he spoke.

"And...back in England...some rulers have a title and a position they serve in. Much like you serve in yours. But..." he said. "Does it work like that here too..? Do you have a title Liam?" He asked and looked at him expectantly. He was beginning to trust this man in front of him, so he trusted just about any word that came out of his mouth. After all, he had no grounds to know any better in this situation than any other stranger. "Who are you? Besides a captain...I've told you of my life. Why do you seem so...discreet about your own? Nothing to be ashamed of I hope." he said.

"Good." He answered when the other seemed pleased with is clothing. As Alden went on to describe what the more higher classed English wore Liam wondered if those articles of clothing would suit him better but the way Liam was describing it? Perhaps not. Besides, while they did have such clothing it was often reserved for celebrations or special occasions. None had the need to show off or flaunt their wealth because currency didn't exist as Alden would see when their meal was complete.

"Sometimes Atlantis remains in a single place for weeks, or even years, other times only days or moments. When we have time scouts will travel to the countries we are near, learn everything possible about language, culture, everything from how the ruling class rules, to what they wear and eat. I suppose it must seem strange the way we have all that we have gathered blended together…" He shrugged, "It works, my style of dress and several habits stem from the Oriental nations, although my predecessor also followed this path so I learned mostly from him."

The utensils for example. "These are called zhu…but that is just one name out of many dialects that call them something different. The children here mostly call them chopsticks." Liam didn't seem to have a name preference, "The idea is that the knife," And here he pointed to the other's silverware, "Is a weapon, and could be a sign of aggression and violence has no place at the table. Chopsticks remove that need."

And so their meals arrived, pad thai for Liam, steaming hot with a little side bowl of crushed peanuts he could pour on top for added taste. The shrimps in his meal were cooked to perfection-Svell tested them to be sure, leaving what was left of his eggroll to turn and snatch one of the curled pink and white curled up bits. Liam didn't seem to mind, though he did blink at the next questions. The question of title and rank, well he had no reason to hide it but everything he'd learned so far made it clear that the higher the rank or title the more terrible a person you were in England.

"That is true, some do hold both, often the positions are closely linked. However….I believe for you, it was blood correct? If the father is a Lord, the son becomes Lord yes? The next King is the son of the current King?" There were crazy situations that happened of course but that was the gist of it, you obtained your title by blood (or war). "It is different here. For example the Lords of every guild are those best suited for their trade, master craftsmen who usually have the most knowledge and experience. There are also councilmembers who speak with the queen and represent every guild or faction here, gaining their titles through votes by their people." All while expertly avoiding the real question.

"Even our Queen is picked by her heart and not her heritage. When the ruling noble passes on all are tested and Atlantis itself determines the new King or Queen, one who will speak with the island and for the people. Even if the prior monarch had children they had no more claim to the throne than any other Atlantian. Does that make any sense?"

The man listened carefully as the man before him explained how Atlantis moved. That sometimes it stayed in one place for years and other times, just moments before continuing it's journey. He supposed it was a bit strange, but Alden didn't really mind all these cultures being blended together. In fact, he was thankful for it because with her cultures came new experiences and new opportunities. New foods to try, new things to see, different mannerisms and the like. It kept life full, full and interesting. But as Liam stated his form of dress and some mannerisms were rooted in Oriental origins, he really learned something about the man in front of him. Things like that, were what he was looking for. Getting to know him better since they were spending a majority of their time together. Perhaps if the man looked into things of oriental origins, their behaviors and such...he would gain even more insight to how Liam operated.

He left his train of thought though so that he could continue to listen to the Captain as he was explaining the concept of chopsticks. The blonde seemed to understand and nodded. Soon enough their food came. His meal had the title on the menu of Peking Duck. Alden had not known duck could be eaten and so to see it on the menu, he decided to give it a try. Not being accustomed to the chopsticks, he just picked up a fork and pushed it into the meat. It smelled unlike anything he had ever smell before, but in a good way, all the best ways to be exact. Picking up a piece he placed a piece of the meat in his mouth. It was delicious, and so moist. Probably the best meal he had ever had in his life. The emerald eyed man continued to listen as the dark haired man explained how the monarchy here worked. All of it made sense to him. However, Alden did take note of how Liam skillfully avoided his question...the real one anyways. So there was something he was hiding from him. But he was sure that there must have been a reason behind it. Some logic that explained those reasons. As he finished explaining, Alden nodded, smiling, even chuckled a bit and sighed.

"Yeah...I understand. Though you are dodging the question Liam. So secretive. I won't pry it out of you now...But!" he exclaimed. "I will find out what you aren't telling me..someday." he said smiling, his green eyes reflecting his happiness. With that, he went onto finish his meal, enjoying every last bite.

Svell gnawed on his shrimp as the pair ate and spoke, content to hold it with little claws, nibbling with sharp fangs. He eyed Alden's duck but for now left it alone, before the meal was over though he'd slither closer to snag a discarded piece from Alden's plate before retreating back to his 'side' of the table.

Liam merely sighed as the other kept up with the conversation and pointed out the truth of his words, "Titles are merely that, titles. They do not necessarily reflect the person so what is the point? I am Captain of the guard, and that rank is as important as any title." Mostly he hadn't wanted Alden to know he was dealing with royalty in the beginning and now hearing about how nobles were in England he was less inclined to make his title known in case the other began acting different around him.

"Come." He gave once the meal was completed, Svell licking his claws with a forked tongue before climbing back to his normal resting place, "Let's see to clothes for you and lodging." He offered, merely thanking the waiter as their dishes were cleaned up, no need for payment of course. Leading the way out they would go only a few doors down to what was clearly a tailor's shop so Alden could pick out some styles and fabrics of clothing-it wouldn't do for them to simply keep offering him the same outfits.

Alden thought about his words and they were true. Titles were ultimately...just that. They didn't reflect who a person was. There were probably some kind nobles, kind lords and ladies, but he had yet to meet them. Or so he thought, not knowing that he was being shown around by and had just dined with the Prince of Atlantis. But as Liam had just pointed out, his rank was as important as any title, especially here in Atlantis where everyone contributed, where everyone helped each other out. And it seemed there was no currency either, as they had just left the cafe with a simple thank you. The waiter too, seemed satisfied with that form of payment, genuine gratitude. As he mentioned clothing for him, and lodging, he followed the dark haired captain to a tailor's shop. Once inside, he paused and looked around. Though it was much cleaner and much nicer, it reminded him of the women in the streets back in London who sewed together clothing from any scraps of left over material they could find. To clothe any who needed it. Not necessarily tailors, but close enough.

Searching though all the fabrics and styles they had available. He saw the appeal in the Oriental clothing, but with his frame, knew it wouldn't look good on him. The style worked very well for Liam, but for him, he saw more appeal in the European style of dress. It was clothing he had not seen before, but decided, would suit him well. After asking Liam for his opinion on what he thought would suit him best, along with some guidance from the tailor, he had picked out several fabrics. And from those fabrics they would make a few new outfits for him. Measurements had to be taken, but all in all he picked out clothing and styles he didn't think he would like, but surprisingly, he did once taking a closer look at them.

One of them being what the tailor had called a Tailcoat. It came with dress pants, a simple but sharp looking pair of dress shoes, a vest that went underneath along with a crisp white dress shirt, finished off with a tie like scarf that went around the collar of the shirt. Overall it would fit him very well, and it would make him look a bit more dignified. This was for special occasions and the other few were different but, more formal looking versions of workers class clothing. He rather liked his choices. Once they had finished up at the tailors, he left it to Liam to see to his quarters for the evening, as it was beginning to become a bit late. But before they would part ways for the evening, he stopped in front of his door to his evening quarters and looked to him.

"Thank You Liam..." he said. "I know you say it's your duty, and you may be doing whatever the queen may have asked. But I enjoyed your company today. You and Svell." he said and looked to the little creature probably lazing about his favorite perch. Liam's shoulders and neck. "I look forwards to learning more...about my home. I do hope you Rest well." he said and gave a nod before retreating to his quarters for the evening. As he did, he hoped the records would arrive soon. All this waiting was making him a bit restless.

Last edited: