Weird Line Breaks (possibly related to link BBcode)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagayours

a ghost
Original poster
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Immediately after posting my thread about the quote feature not working, I noticed something strange:

weird_line_breaks.png

I don't think I've ever seen Iwaku split a word onto two different lines like that, at least not without adding a hyphen. (Actually, I'm not sure whether or not Iwaku normally hyphenates text at all -- but cutting a word up like that certainly doesn't seem normal.)

Yes, it's true that I can easily "fix" the problem by simply adjusting the width of my browser window so that each line of text is shorter and therefore the breaks land in different places, but that doesn't do much to address the underlying cause of this odd line-breaking. But adjusting my browser window did help me notice that this glitch seems to only be affecting text that functions as a link. As I made my window skinnier, all the line breaks that didn't land on linked text worked exactly as they should, moving around only complete words and not splitting any of them up. Line breaks that landed on a link adjusted the text character-by-character as the width of my window changed.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-24%20at%209.26.57%20PM.png

I looked in the bug reports thread that Eru pointed out to me in my thread about the quote feature and didn't see any mention of this glitch.

I also intentionally included a few long-ish bits of linked text in this post so that any non-mobile-users currently reading this can easily use this thread to test whether or not they're having the same issue without needing to hunt down some other post that has linked text in it. (Or maybe something similar happens on mobile, as well? I dunno. I don't browse Iwaku on mobile super-often.)

The reason why the line "broke" in two is because it's a URL. :)

@Pahndora's Box

:/ I mean, yeah, I noticed that the text only breaks if it's a link. But... that still seems like a bug to me. After all, it's not like the URL itself is what's being displayed. Actual words are being displayed. And it looks a bit weird to see those words cut off in the middle like that.

It's possible that Iwaku has always done this and I've just never noticed, but... it seems to be a relatively new thing, and it looks like a thing that shouldn't be happening. :/

Reactions: Navuso
FUCK THIS NONSENSE OF QUOTING LOL
@Kagayours
Haha nope it's definitely not a bug! The code is meant so that different words than the URL appear, but in the end it's just the URL. Browsers and such recognize URLs and they're not considered words. Try it out in any word documents, and the URL will be cut if it goes over the character limit in a line.

FUCK THIS NONSENSE OF QUOTING LOL
@Kagayours
Haha nope it's definitely not a bug! The code is meant so that different words than the URL appear, but in the end it's just the URL. Browsers and such recognize URLs and they're not considered words. Try it out in any word documents, and the URL will be cut if it goes over the character limit in a line.

>_> Hmm... I still think it's really dumb that actual words are getting cut up because they're being treated like URLs, but, if that's just the way it is then I guess I'll have to accept it...

@Pahndora's Box

>.> Ok, so, on mobile, the titles of threads are also now getting cut off in the middle of words. That definitely hasn't always been that way. Yes, technically the thread titles are also linked text, and therefore URLs, but... thread titles definitely haven't always cut off like this. >.>

I took a screenshot of it, and I'll post it up later when I'm online from a real computer.

Reactions: Navuso
IMG_1976.png

Are we sure this is normal? I feel like I would've noticed if the thread titles always put line breaks in the middle of words like that... but, maybe I really have just been unobservant. >.<"

IMG_1976.png

Are we sure this is normal? I feel like I would've noticed if the thread titles always put line breaks in the middle of words like that... but, maybe I really have just been unobservant. >.<"
As a regular mobile browser, I can sadly say that that is quite normal.

Reactions: Pahndemic
@Joan Well that's... stupid. :/

But, alright, so long as it's not a glitch...

Status
Not open for further replies.