Weekend is dreaming up a JRPG-like Sandbox RP; GM-narrated adventures awaits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Weekend

Original poster
Last night a particular idea wouldn't leave me alone when I should have been sleeping, and this morning I propose the resulting interest check to you, Iwaku people:

Set in a sandbox world, each roleplayer will be able to 'spawn' a character up to three times and will start at the same place in their life. Each character will start as a eighteen years old youth with limited skills and contacts that will be determined by each player through a list provided by yours truly. Those skills and contacts will give immediate flavor and alternate options to each characters, but more important or skilled advantages will have to be gained through the rp.

Now, once you have your character, now what? Well, as a nonentity in the struggle between mankind and monsters, you'll enjoy quite a peaceful life at first, but unless you want to be a merchant or a innkeeper, you'll want to try your luck in one of the four 'basic' guilds of the glorious city of Verancia your character just entered. These four guilds will all have a specific way of doing things and special skills (and contacts) to teach to those they find worthy. From quests and missions given, wealth and recognition will be given and, who knows, perhaps your character will gain enough renown to become an officer in their organisation or, possibly, gain entrance to the castle where throne the fabled knight order of the city! For those who prefer wealth over honor, there are also avenues of gaining power in government positions or even to buy yourself a noble title for a hefty price!

Be careful, for the larger of an impact you do upon the world, the larger your appeal for ever stronger and more cunning monsters to hunt you down! You should also keep track of world-wide events that will periodically appear either by other players doing or by GM whim that could impact your adventure, that it would be favorable or harmful to your plans for your character.

Finally, there will be a rough timeline that would advance the time in the rp by one month every week to simulate a more believable growth and give opportunities to toss various plot twists in a reasonable interval.

So, is anyone intrigued by my proposition?

(The guilds and knight order ideas, and the future city's layout is shamelessly borrowed from the obscure PS2 game Radiata Stories.)

Seems a bit unconventional for a forum RP, but I might give it a try.

It's mainly a way for me to get practice at worldbuilding and NPC managing, so that would certainly be a bit out of the norm. Still, there shall be an overarching plot and plenty of space for character interaction so I hope it's not -too- far from the usual rp feel.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. It sounds really interesting~

Status
Not open for further replies.