We Updated Iwaku and the Database only got deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Too bad we don't have a "go home, you need a drink" rating xD

Those have been gone for a loooong time o.o
I was also gone for a long time. :'( I looked forward to those so much. Can I vote to bring it back? I'd love to bring it back myself although I'm not so sure I can do the same with the past version.

And I loved the radio show too! Can we possibly bring it back? Even if it'll be sporadic? I can help! Okay maybe I'm completely out of topic now. Where should I post these ideas?

These will be back as soon as I get down the checklist of all the stuff I broke. 8D
Thank you for all your hard work, Mother of Owls! Also, is it just me (using Midnight theme) or is the highlight function transparent?
I had to go on PC because my old phone was too small for Iwaku's new design but maybe that's just me.

Actually, before the update you could have found the Horoscopes in the Help section :) So if those were removed it was rather recent (I would also be very sad, I could think up so many ways we could have actually utilized them or at least brought them to people's attention).

Yeah, they were apart of the cool features I advertised in my newbie introduction :)
Sorry, I really was out for a long time. Do you think the zodiac can be brought back though? I'd love to help!

I was also gone for a long time. :'( I looked forward to those so much. Can I vote to bring it back? I'd love to bring it back myself although I'm not so sure I can do the same with the past version.

And I loved the radio show too! Can we possibly bring it back? Even if it'll be sporadic? I can help! Okay maybe I'm completely out of topic now. Where should I post these ideas?
Some staff members have talked about bringing those things back (and the newsletter) but currently there are no plans to do a staff driven project for them as it's hard to keep alive in the long run, especially since staff is constantly changing. If you want something like that, you'd have to start up a project yourself and see if anyone wants to help with it. (The general chat is probably the best area to see if anyone is interested in running such a project, and then for the project itself I would suggest using the new group system which will be up in a few days.)

• Thank You
Reactions: Banana-senpai
New custom styles got me like....

925.gif

• Love
Reactions: QueenObscure
I like your choice of Icon Diana. lol Seems right after the update. Also! I though there was going to be feature were we'd have sevual layouts to pick from too on our personal dashboard. Or did I mishear/missread?

Some staff members have talked about bringing those things back (and the newsletter) but currently there are no plans to do a staff driven project for them as it's hard to keep alive in the long run, especially since staff is constantly changing. If you want something like that, you'd have to start up a project yourself and see if anyone wants to help with it. (The general chat is probably the best area to see if anyone is interested in running such a project, and then for the project itself I would suggest using the new group system which will be up in a few days.)
IF and only if I apply to be an intern, I'd like this to be my job. I just don't know how to do it. This advise is very helpful.
Been here for so long but I never contributed to the community. </3

IF and only if I apply to be an intern, I'd like this to be my job. I just don't know how to do it. This advise is very helpful.
You would have to ask Diana about that, as we have no plans to do a staff led project of this kind because staff members comes and goes and people need to be willing to take over if someone can't meet the deadline for whatever reason and yadayadayada. At the moment it will most likely have to be member driven projects if you want radio shows or such things.

• Thank You
Reactions: Banana-senpai

Not to hijack the thread , but whenever staff talks about doing this sort of thing as a staff led project , the fact remains that staff has tried it a few times in the past, and it doesn't work. The issue is; nobody in staff has just one job.

In addition to generic staff responsibilities , there's also the regular maintenance , posting, and projects that staff members are expected to do. Everyone, from security to content, to maintenance , to the admins themselves, does a little of everything. It can get very overwhelming , especially if you have a life outside of Iwaku.

And that's the problem with newsletters and monthly updates ; they have to be scheduled , consistent , and -- they're a ton of work. A TON of work. When you add that to other responsibilities , they're ultimately just not feasible , especially as @redblood says , with our rotating staff changes. I was there for the rise and fall of the Iwaku newsletter , and its death wasn't a surprising one. As staff, if I can speak for the whole staff, we prefer sporadic PSAs / Updates which are less pressure , less formalized , and just as helpful. They inform the community of our current wants / needs / desires / wishes without having to cut in too much to everybody else's work.

A long tirade that hopefully doesn't take away from the spirit of this post - but that's why we don't do newsletters anymore. I cobbled his mostly together by what I've heard expressed by other staff, but I definitely don't speak for everybody. Just outlining what I see as the reasons why we don't do this anymore ! :)

Haaaa yes Thanks for the Update! Especially the styles 030 i wanna choooooooossseeeee! Thanks oh great and powerful staff of Iwaku!....and Diana...glad nothing blew up this time

and Finally i can see my alerts!.....and i don't get cake....My dreams shatter in just a few words...

So...is there any way to set it back to the previous style for yourself? I'm not really a fan of the new one....

When making a post the quote box colour is too similliar (or the exact same) as the post background. Making it hard to tell where my quotes start and end.

Otherwise? Looks good so far.
If you send me private messages about bugs I will make grumpy faces at you.
You snuck that many pictures of Grumpy?
member's tend to be pretty restless after only a few hours of down time, so more than a couple of days would probably give people heart attacks. Owl mom is just one little owl whom has to do all the updating on her own, it takes time :3
As someone who tends to post non-stop on the site and is almost always online I feel the need to say something to mentioned members,

"YA'LL NEED TO LEARN SOME PATIENCE!".

Try Gaming or Discord, great time killers. :P

I love the fact that we can easily move from one post to the other without scrolling :D

So far I'm really digging this update. The aesthetics are going to take a little getting used to, but otherwise things are pretty darn efficient. :D

@Mippu

A couple people have already covered why Staff projects like that aren't very maintainable, but I also feel the need to point out that the main reason they get chopped- as opposed to things like chat RP settings and the RP guides or the newbie care packages- is because ultimately they're not necessities or really useful, and they have a shelf life. Sure, they're cool, but they don't do anything and only a niche group is going to bother with them. It's a bunch of resources being wasted on something frivolous that has nothing to do with roleplay.

The Zodiac, too, is based on really old bits of the Iwaku Mythos (a mass roleplay setting) that aren't relevant to the community anymore and are ideas from a bunch of retired Staff.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble. If you want to make up your own zodiac and have fun with it, go for it! It's just never going to be an official thing.

@Hunter of Shadows

That's technically possible for us to enable, but it's not a good idea. Future updates to the site aren't exactly going to be backwards-compatible. It's a lot of extra work to maintain multiple themes that aren't "sibling" themes like Midnight/Dusk/etc.

Wait, what?
The zodiac was still in existence until recently?

What did it look like? Do you have a screenshot or something?

I thought so. Well, it's a nice memory of the old times now, something precious still :')

Wait, what?
The zodiac was still in existence until recently?

What did it look like? Do you have a screenshot or something?
No o.o It was right there in the Help section under Iwaku Zodiac Signs. It wasn't exactly hidden.

No o.o It was right there in the Help section under Iwaku Zodiac Signs. It wasn't exactly hidden.
pff, it was hidden in the section no one would look for it. Perfect hiding place

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Lucky for you guys I vaguely remember Zodiac Signs being posted :D

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: redblood
Status
Not open for further replies.