Waves and Wanderers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russalka glanced behind again and noticed Naluark following, she grinned cheekily. "You should really listen and respect your elders. If you'd got hurt I couldn't have helped you. Maybe we should just hang around where lots of others do too. I mean, you've got your whole life to be reckless. That was too close, too dangerous," Luava lectured, unaware of Naluark behind her. "Are you even listening?"

The littler one was smiling at him; guess he wasn't the problem after all. Or at least not enough of one to become a boogey. He moved a little to the right to come alongside the pair.

"So, scouting out the wreck for your pod or just exploring?" He asked casually, looking over at the pair.

"Exploring," Russalka replied. "Neither," Luava interrupted. "No, we were definitely exploring," Russalka turned to her sister. "It's so cool. What were you doing?"

"Scavenging--looking for food or supplies," Naluark said, with a slight shrug. "I have to look out for myself and crashed humans are a good source of all kinds of things."

"Like what?" Russalka sounded excited, interested. Luava rolled her eyes, clearly the opposite of her sister. The younger of the pair had bright eyes that seemed to plead to know the answer.

"Anything made with metalwork, mostly," Naluark replied. He wasn't used to positive attention, and wasn't entirely sure how to react to it. "Tools, blades, other weapons. Rope, too, they tend to have a lot of that."

Luava shrugged, "That's smart." She didn't sound impressed. "It is," her sister agreed. "Why spend hours gathering when you can just go there and get it in minutes?"

"Basically," Naluark said. This was going better than he'd thought it would. "But until the humans are gone I can't do much. There's a good chance they have guns."

"What are guns?" Russalka asked Luava. "You don't need to know," she replied quickly, "Because you don't ever have to see one." She frowned at Naluark for bringing it up in the first place. "Well, best of luck to you." That seemed to be her way of saying go away.

An alarming silence settled around Nome, he should have stayed on the ship. Nome should not have been there, he should not have gone after her. This wouldn't have happened if she hadn't been at the Fast ice. The crack of a warning gunshot caused Nome to turn with a start, the sound reverberated in her ears it reminded her of a falling tree when the wood splinters and creaks, she disliked that sound.
Guns were rarely used in her tribe, it was a foreign object to her but she was aware of what it could inflict.

A sailor leaned on the side of the ship's corroded railing, a sliver of smoke rose from the barrel of the gun and curled skyward. He spit at the ground and pulled his mouth into a sneer, revealing a row of yellowed teeth "That's right Girly, yer' got no chance against us. You and that senile bastard better run or we'll be after ye'."

"No! You have to help me. Please help! Grandpa Tulik's in the water and I can't save him!" Nome was distraught, she never learnt how to swim. It was considered a useless skill among those in her tribe, the water was too cold. Even if she did save him there was a chance of developing hypothermia. The sun had started to dip below the horizon and the temperature had dropped drastically, Nome had to act fast.

With a raised eyebrow the sailor derided her plea for help; "I ain't going in those waters in a million years yer' old man doesn't stand a chance, I'd leave him to die if I were you. He's probably long gone anyways!" He laughed contemptuously and turned her back to her, disappearing from her view.
Nome wanted to scream, she grit her teeth and slipped off her layered parka and pulled off her fur boots, the biting gusts of wind tore at her lighter clothes and the chill spread to her fingers and face turning them numb and clumsy. She fumbled with the strap of her pack and lay it on the ground. Nome was scared. Nome was very scared. But she could not sit and watch as Grandpa Tulik sank deeper into the arms of the Sea goddess, Sedna. Nome had no choice but to jump, she leapt into the water.

The dark waves of the Ocean embraced her and wrapped around her, all she could see was darkness. All she could feel was a piercing cold which enveloped her like a blanket, how she wished she was back home surrounded by the warmth of her friends and comforted by the heat of a fire. But she was not. Nome gathered the last of her courage and kicked her legs out, her hair billowed around her. Her adrenaline increased with each stroke, Nome held out her hand to Grandpa Tulik's, she watched as he fell further from her reach. She willed him to take her hand. Nome repeated it in her head like a mantra. Take it. Her lungs had started to hurt, she needed oxygen and soon.

@Luca the Whore

tidewater_by_wildweasel339-d7ftsh8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Naluark was about to respond to the two mermaids when he heard the rumble of a splash, and looked back. Something was sinking in a flood of bubbles--two somethings, actually. He looked at them in bewilderment. Those were definitely legs: what humans would be so foolish or careless to end up in these waters?

"Well, they're doomed," he muttered to himself.

((Sorry I've been out of town))

Erralyn's scales simmered bright in the cold ocean as she watched and listened to the sounds from above, ignoring the questions and judgement from the others about her breaching the surface. The human girl who had seen her from the boat was now in the water, struggling for breath and against the bone chilling cold, well bone chilling for a human. This water was quite comfortable for Erralyn's kind.

Without thinking her tail propelled her forward through the darkening water and her clawed hands gripped the thick jacket around Nome that was dragging her further under rhe water. Reaching forward Erralyn grabbed for the older man and found him almost dead, stiffening quickly. Breaching the surface once more she pushed the two humans onto the ice and with a single kiss to each hand sent warmth shooting through both their bodies. Their clothes were still soaked and they were still in danger of freezing but she had given them a little more time.

I've been seen. This is the end. This is it I will die now for helping them. Stupid stupid stupid. Swim, run. Go!

Shouting in her own head she snapped out of the trance that was Nome's eyes. They were not menacing when they met with Erralyn's, they were filled with wonder and curiosity similar to her own. Shaking her head she slipped back below the icy water and was just deep enough that they could no longer see her but she could see them.

@Lady Ravenshade

Reactions: OlympusBlood
"They don't have tails," Russalka stated. "That's why they aren't like us," Luava replied, as she too heard the crash. But then Erralyn shot forward to rescue them. Luava thought that was a stupid move, but linked hands with her sister, spinning her around to face the direction they were originally going in. "I have a feeling you might not get what you want today," she said to Naluark. Luava felt nervous; now will people search for the mermaids?

Reactions: BookDragon
Naluark hadn't expected that other mermaid to arrive--or to help the drowning humans instead of letting them die or helping them along. That was a daring move. Hopefully word wouldn't get back to her tribe, that could be bad for her. He looked back at the departing pair.

"Eh, I'll see what I can do. The ship's still sinking."

He swam off in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.