Water Thing to Happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kieara touched his temples and his eyes adjusted to the lower lighting. "Alright come on." She held his hand and led him down.

Thankful he didn't have to lock lips with her again - the first time being embarrassing enough - Peter followed, having little choice in the matter. He did note, however, that things seemed much clearer - so at least he could see what he was going to be terrified by.

She stopped just below the darks surface. "If you are frightened we can go back." She spoke with a kind smile.

Peter, though a little anxious about the whole affair, shook his head at this suggestion.
"I'll admit, I'm scared, but I won't get anywhere if I keep running away from my fears. Besides, I trust you enough to get me out if something happens."

She smiled. She led him on down. "Over there's an angler fish. " she pointed to show him one of the most famous of the abysmal fish.

Peter, though apprehensive, still found its appearance to be a little creepy. He was familiar with their method of reproduction as well - not particularly pleasant, he knew that for sure. Still a little frightened of what was around him, he gripped Kieara's hand a little tighter, and continued to observe the fish.

"Those are ultimately harmless as long as you don't show any interest in their light," she explained and led him further down. She pointed to a skinny black fish that had its mouth closed with a bright red light on its forehead. "Those are a stoplight loose jaw. Don't let them fool you." She watched a smaller fish swim over. It completely unhinged its jaw quadrupling its mouth size and swallowed it whole.

Peter's eyes widened at the new wildlife and its habits, both in apprehension, and in mild terror. He wouldn't deny that it was interesting to watch all of them, but he couldn't help but feel a little scared by all of it.

She continued to swim down pointing out various fishes and telling him about them. She looked over though and gasped suddenly. "Don't move...." She spoke staying stark stiff.

Whatever courage Peter had mustered drained away with the colour in his fce. kieara was scared - if she was, he was. This couldn't be good.

She slowly turned him to face what she was. A massive fangtooth stared back at them. It was double both of their sizes and she stayed perfectly still. Any movement and it may have tried to strike.

Peter couldn't move - he wouldn't dare, and was likely paralysed out of sheer fright. He didn't even think they grew to this size - they never grew to much more than 18 centimetres, so he had read. They weren't even harmful to people, even with their disproportionately large maws. To see some so big - he didn't think magic seaweed would do even that.

Kieara stayed perfectly still. It floated perfectly still. Staring at them. Then it edged forward.

Already near breaking point, Peter couldn't help but react to the fish that shouldn't even have grown that big. in his desperation, he curled up as best he could, and put his hands over his head, whimpering while he did so.

Kieara grabbed him suddenly and started swimming rapidly back to the city not daring to let go of him.

"How the hell do those things grow so large?!"
Peter managed to sputter out those words, but not much else - he was still refusing to look behind him, on the grounds that doing so would only make him emss himself. He wasn't even sure if that would matter, with him being a merman, but that was hardly the point.

Kieara spoke. "Humans don't see everything!" She told him as she continued to drag him through the water

"If this is the case, I don't think they'd want to!"
By now, Peter was clinging to Kieara like a frightened child - the expression on his face being a testament to that.

It stopped at the edge of the city the bright light blinding it. She swam further in and held him as she looked back watching it go.

By the time they had escaped, Peter was a shivering wreck of a boy, still holding desperately onto Kieara, having not fully processed the fact that they were safe now.
"Is... Is it gone?"

Status
Not open for further replies.