DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
It varies a lot depending on my schedule, unfortunately.
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Psychological horror
Body horror
Supernatural
Giallo
Splatterpunk
Dark fantasy
Historical
Low fantasy
Magipunk
Weird West
Noir
Thriller
Gothic horror
Southern Gothic
Gaslamp fantasy
Cyberpunk
Space saga
Clockpunk
Space Western
Space opera
Paranormal
Modern fantasy
Dieselpunk
Post-Apocalyptic
Crime drama
Medieval fantasy
warp3.png

THE CHALLENGE?

Construct a compelling, worldbuilding-rich roleplay premise.

THE PRIZE?

Win your own subforum for your roleplay.

warp1.png

The WaRP: Worldbuilding and Role Playing GM Challenge is both a competition and an exciting opportunity for the Iwaku player base, which we hope will encourage GMs to step up and create brilliant content for the site. There will be up to six winners selected by a panel of judges (myself, @Diana, @Kitti, @Jorick, and @Sir Basil) at the end of the judging period. Up to three of these winning entries may be already existing roleplays that are fleshed out enough to warrant a mass RP forum. Up to three may be completely new (or at least, not currently in session) roleplays that excite and entice the judges with their potential.

We are looking for a premise/roleplay that provides:
  • An expansive network of locations for players to interact with and explore.
  • A wide range of possibilities for character creation, whether through race, cultural background, creed, or class system.
  • A plot premise with staying power which cannot be wrapped up within a short time frame, a sandbox-style world where players can drive their own plots, and/or opportunities for multiple long-term plot arcs.
  • Compelling world lore and evidence of real thought and care in creation of the setting.
  • Something that makes us want to join.
Each RP subforum will automatically come with two built-in child forums, one for OOC and one for thread archival. The purpose of these two child forums may be changed at the GM's discretion, but no more may be added.

• There are two categories for submissions: Existing Roleplays and New Roleplays.

To submit a New Roleplay, post a mock-up OOC thread in the WaRP Contest forum to pitch your roleplay concept. This thread should include as much information as possible about the roleplay. Treat this like you're creating the official OOC and plot info thread.

To submit an Existing Roleplay, fill out the following form and post it in the Existing RP Submissions thread stickied at the top of the WaRP Contest forum.

Name of Roleplay:
    Link to OOC/Plot Info Thread:
    Link to IC Thread:
    Links to other threads (if applicable):
    Co-GMs (List all, if applicable):
    Original or Fandom-Based?:
    Is this a Redstar/Bluestar RP?:
    Current number of players:
    Why do you think your RP deserves to win?:
    All entries must:

• Have a single, clearly defined setting. This may be on any scale, from a specific school to an entire planet or star system.
    • Be intended for long-term play. Roleplays designed to wrap up within one or two months of play will not be accepted unless they are part of a larger, directly-related setting.
    • Be thread-based. Chat roleplays will not be accepted.

Fandom, Redstar, Bluestar, and Staff-run roleplays are allowed as submissions. However:

1. Only one fandom roleplay may be chosen per category.
    2. Only one Redstar/Bluestar roleplay (EITHER, not both) may be chosen per category.
    3. Only one entry submitted by a Staff member can be chosen as a winner out of the entire six.

These limitations are stacking. This means that if a Staff member submits a Redstar fandom roleplay, it would count for all three limits if chosen as a winner.

Note: This does not mean for certain that fandom, Staff-run, or redstar/bluestar RPs will number among the winners.

If not enough entries meet the criteria, less than six winners will be selected.

All participants in the contest must be a member of at least 4 months and must never have had their account banned or suspended. Warning points do not disqualify you for entry.

One entry may be submitted per user.

Entries must be submitted under a "main" GM. If there are two or more equal-footing co-GMs sharing a roleplay, they must pick one person among them to submit. Being a co-GM doesn't count toward your entry limit but we reserve the right to reject anyone we think is trying to abuse loopholes. All co-GMs must be listed in mock-up OOCs for New Roleplays or on the submission form for Existing Roleplays.

The submission period will last until December 17th, at which point judging will begin and take place over a two-week period. Once winners are announced on January 1st, the contest forum will be closed and all threads moved or archived to the Graveyard.
  • Is this a one-time opportunity?

If all goes well, this will become a recurring contest and happen again at the end of 2017. In such a case, the number of winning spots open would depend on the number of winning RPs from 2016 still active. For example, if two roleplays have died but the rest are going strong, only two spots would open up for 2017's contest.

HOWEVER, if all six are still running... a seventh spot would permanently be added. Therefore, the more RPs keep alive, the more opportunities arise for new contestants.

More details will be released on this when and if a second run of WaRP is greenlighted.

What happens to my threads if I win (with an Existing Roleplay)?

Any and all existing threads will be moved to the winners' new private forums. From there it is up to GMs to restructure as they see fit.

What am I allowed to do with my forum?

The subforums for winners will be totally up to the GMs. The GM (and any necessary co-GMs) will get full mod powers over their own forum, and they have free reign from there. Staff will not be graveyarding threads from these forums and will only moderate if requested by the GM or if something gets reported. However, all Iwaku rules still apply. GMs may be punished if they knowingly allow or ignore rule violations.

Will I be able to add my own moderators to my roleplay after the fact?

Yes, absolutely. Just send in a Contact Us request or PM any of the judges asking them to give the helpers forum permissions.

Will there be a public vote?

No, not for this contest. Winners will be entirely up to the judging panel. However, we encourage everyone to go check out the entrants and use the discussion thread stickied at the top of the forum.

Will submissions get reviews by the judges?

No. The focus of the contest is promoting roleplays and rewarding GMs rather than on improving writing, so we will only be focusing on choosing winners.

Can I edit my entry after I submit it?

Submissions can be edited without restriction up until the 17th of December, when submissions close and judging begins.

Can I advertise my submission?

Ads for these RPs shouldn't be posted in the Roleplay Advertisements forum unless they are existing RPs, as this would be confusing. GMs may create Interest Checks if they wish for the New RP submissions.

Are alternate versions of existing RPs allowed? What about reboots of past RPs?

Yes. Submit them as "new" roleplays with a mock-up OOC.

Why aren't Chat RPs allowed?

GMs of chat roleplays can already create private chat rooms for their roleplays, and a roleplay that isn't thread-based has far less need for a forum.

Do I need to save my stuff so it won't get lost when the contest ends?

Nothing will be deleted. Any entries that don't win will simply be moved to the Graveyard.

[btn]PROCEED TO WaRP[/btn]​

So - it says you must have been a member for four months. Just curious. Is that four months as of today? Because I'm considering this, but alas... I'd miss the mark by literally three days in that case *LOL*

So - it says you must have been a member for four months. Just curious. Is that four months as of today? Because I'm considering this, but alas... I'd miss the mark by literally three days in that case *LOL*
I am going to say 4 months at the time of your submission, so anyone who hits that mark by December 17th is good.

I am going to say 4 months at the time of your submission, so anyone who hits that mark by December 17th is good.

OH! Sweet deal :) Thanks so much !

Reactions: Astaroth
One quick clarification to the rules because of a concern voiced on the Iwaku Discord server.

If you are submitting a form for an existing roleplay, that roleplay's active threads will not be moved to the graveyard when the contest is over. Only the thread containing those existing RP submission forms will be graveyarded. And just in case your threads are ever mistakenly thrown in the graveyard, you can always use the Thread Moderation request form to get them put back in the right place. :)

Would it be considered an exciting RP if it is in the graveyard and was not fully developed as a world, or just in graveyard in general?

Also this might sound dumb but could you specify world. Like is it more of a single planet in a galaxy or a single galaxy in the universe. Trying to figure out my scales.

Would it be considered an exciting RP if it is in the graveyard and was not fully developed as a world, or just in graveyard in general?

Also this might sound dumb but could you specify world. Like is it more of a single planet in a galaxy or a single galaxy in the universe. Trying to figure out my scales.
If it's not currently active, it's not considered an existing RP and you should submit a mock OOC thread under a New Roleplay submission. (This is considered a reboot or remake.)

Your scales are flexible. You could make a single planet, a galaxy, or a boarding school. It just has to be a fleshed-out setting with multiple locations for players to interact within.

• Useful
Reactions: PhantomThief715
This opportunity is amazing! I am working my hardest to create an amazing OOC for this challenge! Thanks for hosting this!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS YOU HAVE NO IDEA HDFLKSHG

Hmmm. An interesting idea for a contest. Tempting as it is though, I don't think I'd have the time to GM a long-term, large-scale sandbox RP like that.

But I look forward to seeing the ideas people submit.

Submissions for WaRP are now closed! We have left editing available for all current submissions for 24 hours (ending 12 AM US Central, December 18), so get your WIPs finished up today!

Just an update: Due to some delays in judge's schedules, the winners will be announced tomorrow. Sorry for the minor holdup!

Reactions: rissa
WINNERS ARE IN.

The following entries will be rewarded with a forum:

You might notice that we have two Staff-run roleplays. This decision was one major reason for our delays, as we didn't want to be unfair. However, despite being presented as a new submission we feel that the Ragnarok and Murder Games setting as a whole counts as an existing RP, and we unexpectedly only received a single other existing roleplay as an entry. Therefore, to help provide the boost the WaRP project needs from an existing player base (and due to the very low number of entries overall), we chose to break our rule.

Congratulations to all of the winners, and thank you to everyone who entered! We enjoyed reading your submissions and we encourage you to run them even if you didn't get a prize today. We also hope to see all the roleplays thrive as we prepare for next year's WaRP. :D

Forums shall be set up over the next week.

I just want everyone to know we all fought about this for three days and a lot of name calling was slung around on your behalf. 8D

CONGRATS WINNERS!

Congratulations to the winners!

Congrats winners!

Reactions: rissa
Status
Not open for further replies.