War of the Roses - The Queen's Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kythera

Original poster
a79qYaF.jpg

"I expect you all to do everything humanly possible to uncover the culprits behind this... this..." Anne floundered, unable to think of a word strong enough to describe her feelings. At last she spat out, "This abomination!" Her fist banged down on the long wooden table, making the various papers, quills, and ink standishes littering its surface jump. Molly, the Great Dane lying on the floor beside the Queen's oversized chair, whined at the fire in her mistress's normally calm voice. Anne took a breath, and let one hand drop to her side where she slid the beads of her rosary through trembling fingers. This first meeting of her advisers since the coronation was not going as she had planned. Rather than taking cool and collected control of the country, she was forced to investigate an assassination attempt, and not one of her (apparently inept) councillors could tell her who had perpetrated such a vile act! It was beyond frustrating.

When she spoke again her voice was more controlled, but her grey eyes still blazed with anger. "Question everyone. Do whatever you need to, just find out who was behind this at once. Whoever it was shall be brought to swift justice, this I promise." She met each of their eyes, showing them all the determination behind her own. If they thought she was a weak-willed woman who could be ruled from behind or soon overthrown, they would quickly see their mistake. She was Queen here. She was Anne of England, and no one had more right to rule than her.

Anne nodded a curt dismissal, and her advisers scrambled to bow and exit the room. Only her closest confidantes lingered, chief among them Prince Charles. "Yes, Uncle?" sighed Anne, removing the heavy crown from her head and setting it down on the table. The dratted thing gave her terrible headaches. Or perhaps that was simply due to all the problems that seemed to be besetting her at once. She rubbed one temple as her uncle began to speak.

"You will need to keep an eye on Isabella. And York. They are not to be trusted, Anne. I'm certain one of them was behind the attack."

"I have already given orders to do so. If you have additional agents you wish to send, by all means do. But if you mean to imply I should have my own sister arrested for nothing more than a vague suspicion, then you are well out of line." Though he was standing and she was seated, her expression contained so much fierce authority that Charles shifted uncomfortably under gaze, feeling suddenly quite small.

"No, of course not, Anne, but-"

"Do you know, Uncle, I believe I would prefer that you called me 'Your Majesty'," Anne interrupted, smiling at him in a way that was by no means friendly. He bowed stiffly, but when he opened his mouth to speak again she forestalled him, saying simply, "You may go." He looked as if he would refuse to obey this command, but a glance behind him showed that others were still present, so he bowed again and swept from the room.

Anne turned to smile, much more warmly, at the Duke of Cambridge. "Yes, my Lord Steward?" she said, looking her cousin over. He was a handsome man, and nearly the same age as her. She was sure he had made many conquests already, though he had never been to Anne's taste. Besides being a year younger than her he was too fair. "I'm so pleased to see you have arrived at last, and in one piece," she said, tweaking him on his late arrival. This criticism seemed to pass over his head, or he politely ignored it. He handed Anne a stack of papers and requested her signature. She obliged him, then signed for him to leave.

At last it was just Anne and Sir Balder left in the room. Anne flicked her eyes over her for a moment before rising gracefully from her seat. "Well, Queen's Champion? Have they given you trouble yet?" She knew that in granting a commoner that exalted role she had rankled more than a few feathers, and probably put Balder in an awkward position. But she didn't care - with all the attempts on her life, on her father's life, all the threats to her throne, she needed someone she could trust in the position more than she needed to pacify the great nobles of the country. She wasn't even entirely sure why she trusted Balder so much. Perhaps it was his long record of service, or the fact that he wasn't of noble birth and part of the ambitious, plotting class that she so feared. But if she were truly honest with herself, it wasn't for any of those reasons that she trusted him. It was the honesty written plainly across his face, the steady, uncalculated look in his eyes when he spoke to her. She couldn't explain it, not even to herself, and much less to any of those many nobles, overlooked for the position, who had complained to her since her announcement. She had brushed these complaints aside, with a careful combination of vague explanation and an arch look that demanded what right they had to question her decision. But she guessed that these rivals would be more forthright with Sir Balder himself.

"Are you regretting it yet?" she asked with a half smile, but a little forlornly. She hoped he didn't regret taking on the role. Not simply for the honour or the glory of the job - but because she desperately needed a friend. She didn't think she could bear it if he were to cry off and leave her to the wolves that were her other advisers.

She glanced up at his face briefly, then busied herself with playing with a seal that was lying on the table beside her. "Do you think it was my sister?" she asked, not without a hint of pain in her voice. "Behind the attack?" Her eyes flew up to his again, trying to read his reaction. She thought she would be able to tell if he lied to her. Not that she expected him to do so... of all people she could trust him to tell her the truth, no matter how painful it might be.​

Balder and Anne were alone at this point, save for Molly. The dog made her way over to the knight and the canine received a loving scratch about the stomach before the Lord Commander rose, ponder these things for a moment as one of his hands stroked his well-trimmed beard. He paced around the room for a moment, his brown cloak hanging from the back of one of the chairs in the room. Other than that, the champion was wearing a white tunic with tan pants and brown boots as well as his sword-belt, his longsword resting upon it. It was an old weapon, but one that had saved his hide on many occasions. When he stood directly next to his queen he met her gaze, speaking in a moderate baritone.

"I've received some complaints and challenges from various noblemen and generals. As I am now the superior to the generals I was able to keep them in line. When it comes to the noblemen, a little intimidation and the fact that half of them haven't even seen an actual battle was more than enough for them to drop the challenge. After all, I've no real means to regret what I've barely begun.

"But onto the assassination attempt. Logically speaking, Princess Isabelle has the most to gain from the attack. She is next in line, followed by your uncle and the Duke of York, namely due to the fact the mother relinquished claim to the throne of England. However, judging from her reactions at the ceremony, I'm unsure as to whether she was aware it was going to take place. I would investigate her servants that were present, to start. And even then, I do not trust your uncle in the slightest bit. I do not suspect that he is responsible for the assault during the coronation, but I honestly believe that your uncle as likely is as your sister and the Duke of York to betray you at some point, Anne."

Balder had well earned the right to call Anne by her name while they were in private. The knight had been her personal guard and her friend for a good amount of time, to the point that when he returned to the war the two exchanged correspondence. Anne was, for the most part, the sole reason why Balder was able to keep his temper low and his motivation high during the final days of the Hundred Years' War. Personally, he believed that protecting Anne was the same now as it was when he was protecting her during the war. However, the main difference now was that he would have to battle with tongue and quill, not just steel and wits.

A hint of smile flickered at the corner of Anne's mouth as she watched her faithful hound shamelessly making up to Balder. She wasn't so much a guard dog as a poison-tester, but still she was as wary as her mistress, and rarely let anyone else pet her. Perhaps that was another reason Anne trusted Balder so much. Molly had excellent judgement, after all.

Anne nodded as Balder explained the reactions he had encountered thus far. It was to be expected, and it sounded like he was well able to handle the whiners. Well, if she had not thought he could she would never have given him the role. But still it was a comfort to have this knowledge confirmed.

"They may not have seen battle, but they do know other ways to wage war," she pointed out, a shadow of worry crossing her grey eyes. That was the problem with all these nobles - they had resources, men, spies, poisons, you name it. She would never be safe, not with this crown on her head. And nor would Balder, now that she had put him in front of her throne. Her right hand unwittingly clasped the rosary at her side as her gaze fell to Molly, still rolling around on her back hoping for more belly rubs.

"I fear to eat," she whispered, admitting it aloud for the first time. "To sleep, to walk through the halls alone." She lifted her eyes to his face, and all trace of the confident queen had gone from them. Here stood only a scared young woman, alone in the world. She caught herself up on a gasp, holding back a sudden sob, and turned from him, putting one hand up to her face.

"I know Uncle will betray me," she said, her voice shaking slightly. "They all will. There's no one I can trust, no one..." she trailed off, unable to say the words that had come into her head - no one but you.

Balder had seen Anne this distraught only once before, when her father was on his deathbed.

Regardless, Balder walked up to Anne, his gaze meeting hers as he wrapped his arms around her in a caring embrace, doing the same now as he did when she was previously distraught. The scruff of his beard brushed against the queen's forehead as he sighed, gently rubbing the queen's back with one of his hands as he silently reassured her that everything would be alright.

"Anne, listen to me and listen to me well. You are the Queen of England, placed into this role by our Lord God. He would not do this to you if it were not according to His divine plan. And even then, you have His divine blessing and gift, I'm certain of it. I know no one outside of the clergy that is more devout and dedicated to our God, and so you just need to think of this role as the ultimate test of faith. And even without the divine protection that the Father has no doubt afforded you, you will have me every step of the way. If you are afraid to eat, I shall dine with you, for you know I am immune to various toxins and can identify them after my experience in the war. If you are afraid to sleep, then you can come take my own bed or I shall come unto your chambers and be alert, standing as a night-guard. If you are afraid to walk alone I shall accompany you for every single step and stride, never leaving you until you are certain of your safety. You can always be assured of and place your trust in me, as I have sworn fealty so many times and proven it moreso. I have no desire of gain nor usurpation of anyone- my only desires are to serve you, Anne, and bring hope to those else of common birth that they can truly rise should they prove themselves."

The loyal knight then moved his hands, gently parting Anne's hand from her face as he placed his rugged hands on her soft cheeks, his thumbs wiping her tears. He offered her a kind, reassuring smile. Seeing Anne like this tore a hole in his being- he knew not why. But he consoled her now as he did then, his words carrying even more weight than almost anything else that he had ever said as his honesty shone through his words. Balder then pressed his lips to her forehead, giving her a chaste, comforting kiss in the same manner that ancient tradition of the Briton-Celts dictated. There was a flicker of affection in the kiss, but whether Anne could detect it or not was unknown. The knight then lowered his hands to her shoulders, continuing to give her a warm, comforting smile.

"Again, Anne, I shall always be here for you."

Last edited:
It seemed perfectly natural to be folded into Balder's arms, and Anne nestled her head under his chin without questioning it. He had been there when her father died, it was only right that she turned to him in her distress now. A part of her knew she should protest, should hold him off, but she easily suppressed such sensible thoughts. She could be sensible tomorrow. Today she just needed someone to reassure her and tell her everything would be alright. And that was exactly what Balder did.

She did not so far demean herself as to shed tears on his tunic, but she did sniffle softly several times while he spoke. His every word strengthened her, however, and by the time he had uncovered her face she was able to return his warm smile with a quavering one of her own. "I know that," she said simply. "If I didn't..." she turned away, eyes stinging again. It was a level of loneliness not easy to contemplate. Blinking back tears, she waved a hand to dismiss such dismal thoughts.

With some reluctance, Anne stepped out of her knight's arms. She shrugged back her shoulders and stood up taller again, a queen once more. Before anyone else she would have been ashamed to have betrayed herself so far, to have succumbed to behaviour quite unworthy of a queen, but she knew that Balder would not judge her for it. "I must look a fright," she said with a rueful smile, touching the top of her head where Balder's rough beard had mussed up her hair. "Will you walk with me back to my chambers? I don't wish to be seen by anyone else until my maid has fixed me up."

Anne was hardly vain, but she abhorred slovenly appearances, and particularly to be seen so dishevelled after being only in Balder's company would disgrace her. Much she cared what the quizzy gossips said, she thought to herself, tilting up her chin stubbornly. But it certainly would not help Balder's position if he was said to have gained his role through romantic intrigues. The idea made Anne flush with anger, for she knew, as anyone who knew Sir Balder must, that he would never use such wiles to gain power or money.

The kindly knight did grab his brown cloak, draping it around his queen's shoulders and drawing the hood. It was raining heavily outdoors, and Balder was able to make it seem as if had just brought Anne in from the rain. He would offer his arm to her, but such was not appropriate for the time being. Opening the door for her, he led her outside into the hallway, keeping every step and stride in length with her so as to allow for a more gentle conversation as they walked throughout the grand halls and illustrious chambers. Balder, to a small extent, was still becoming used to living inside the main palace as opposed to the barracks between the palace and the abbey. Seeing Anne worry and fidget, Balder stepped an inch closer, whispering assurances into her hooded ear.

"Anne, you should know that I consider you look no less of a fright than any masterwork painting. In any form, Anne, you have a sensible beauty that is unparalleled. Even if you were of the same birth as I you would be a queen among men."

After that her returned to where he was before, his left hand resting on the pommel of his sword as the pair walked passed one of the visiting noblemen. The visiting lord was somewhat suspicious of the meeting, although Balder was able to convince him that the queen had been in the rain outdoors when it began to storm and had just returned inside to rest before she could rest becoming sickly. Looking at Anne, the queen went along with the act that would remove any suspicions. The good knight had done his duty to protect his liege's honor, even if it meant stretching the truth. After Anne's personal maid was sent for, the pair entered the royal chambers, Balder acting rather bashfully once they entered the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.