War changes people. (Lawkheart and angelkitten)

"I know that's not true even your smile is different please tell me." She watched him waiting for the food she was starving and hoped it came soon. The food was scarce in her house and she was not able to have a lot in the house. The money was tight and she even worked to but with bills and food there was hardly any left.

"Sis, I forgot to send to you something," Lewis said softly before looking out the window. When Betty asked again he sighed. "It was war Betty, no one comes home the same and if they do, they did nothing on the field," he said looking at her, his eyes blank and empty. He remember the saying they had ever time they went into battle. Keep shooting, even when down. Keep moving if your the last man around. Fend for yourself. those were the laws we lived by. Those were the words we said as prayers. Those were the words yelled when being reminded who was in charge. "Hoorah," he muttered softly looking out the window.

At least now he was talking to her and she leaned forward so he wouldn't have to talk so loud. The look on his eyes made her think something bad must of happened out there and he would she ever know? "Hoorah?" She said then the food was brought to the table she started eating and it was as good as she remembered. Nothing ever changed in the ten years they had been coming here and she was happy about that. Even the surroundings were the same.

"Something the marines yell before going into a fight," he said as he began eating. He ate slowly, calmly. He wasn't rushing like he used to, he savored his food, every last morsal. He had been trained to eat slow to preserve the nutrients in his body for long periods of time. He enjoyed the crisp taste of the lettuce and the juices from the burger. He finished ten minute after his sister, sighing as he had left the plate empty of every piece of food. He looked around and asked Betty for the check. He'd been given a large amount of money for doing a sniper mission in secret.

When she watched him eat even his eating habits had changed from when he used to scarf it down. The food was delicious and she couldn't wait to go home. She had to work tomorrow which she knew would be hard on her brother but it had to be done. When she was done she waited patiently for him to finish his. "I have to work tomorrow I took today off." She said putting one of her buds in her ears leaving the other out. When he went to the military she found a love in music and never went anywhere without it.

"That's fine... I'll clean the house and cash this," he said handing her a check for $250,000. He had killed a dictator and he was given this money, the first half. He was going to be given the second half in a week. He sighed softly, taking out his pencil and a notepad, scratching down something before putting it away. "I did a service for the marines sniper division, I'm getting the second half next week. I hope this will help take the pressure off work," he said softly. He put the cheek back in his pocket and took out his wallet, paying the bill in cash.

When he spoke she smiled at least the houes would be clean and when she saw the cash her eyes widened. Even though she did not like how he got half a million dollars she smiled at him. "Wow really they gave you this much to kill someone?" She knew what he was talking about and glad they had the money but someone died because he got money. She would never go into the marines because she knew she could be killed and lives would be on her hands.

"I have another check for the same amount coming next week," he said softly. He could still hear the code they made us burn into our hearts and minds. Its something he always kept in mind. Country, God, Commander, Unit and Family. He thought as he looked at his sister. He sighed and looked down at the table. "Mind if we go to the store to get me some clothes," he asked sofly. He had enough cash to buy some jeans and shirts. He knew he had the same sized feet so his shoes should fit. He looked at her and thought a moment. "Also, I wanna get another tattoo," he said. He wanted to get his sisters name added to the rose on his bicep, it was wrapped in a flag and in each strip was one of his parents names along with his bestfriend in the core that died in his arms.

Nodding she thought about what he said even though she did not agree with the killing of people. "I finally got one as well. Yes we can go get your tattoo and some clothes." She had wanted to get some clothes for herself as well but she had no time to herself and since it was early in the day then maybe she could go shopping. Since she was working two jobs it was hard for her to get even a day off but maybe since her brother was back she could lessen her hours. Or even better quit one job so she could rest at home. The tattoo was just over her breast kind of where his was with his name and a flag around it. They often thought the same about things like this.

He nodded his head sliding out of the booth, having slid five dollars under his cup as tip. He went to the register and paid then waited for his sister to come. He kept his hands in his pocket as he waited, a slightly more relaxed stance now. He wasn't in the navy anymore, he didn't have to be standing straight all the time, although he found himself straightening out once more. He thought about some jobs he could do. He defiantly could work at the mill a few miles north. His father worked there all his life and made good money. He also knew he could probably head into the cities to work the night clubs as a bouncer. He held the door open for her to walk out and followed her. He had to renew his license and then get the old car started. He could do that once they got home and he cleaned a little. He took out his pen and pad of paper and jotted down somethings in a forigen language. He knew some Hindi, Arabic, and Russian when he went to help fix a gun ship at a base. He was focusing on German now since he wanted to study German secret code from World war I and II.

The ear plug was still in her ear as she stood up and followed to the register so he could pay for it. Moments after he finished paying she arrived knowing he was standing differently now. The mill seemed to far away and she did not want her brother to be far from her. Now that he was back she wanted him to stay near her. A bouncer she would not like because fights break out in bars even though he was used to it. When they were done she put her arm through his and started heading out towards the car. "So do you want to go get your tattoo now or after clothes?" She said pushing the button to open the car and then she got in. After a few moments she had her seat belt on and then started the car.

"After," he said softly. He climbed into the passenger seat and buckled his belt. He kept his hands close. He never really let anyone touch his hands anymore since he didn't like it anymore. He thought about the different things he could do, to help bring in more money. He could free lance his skills, like the others had. But he knew that if he did, he'd hardly see his sister, working jobs around the world. He kept their number just incase, but he didn't think he would need it. He looked ahead, his eyes scaning always, a habit he had now.

When he got into the passengers side she got in the drivers seat and put her seat belt on. She looked over to him as she put the key into the ignition and heard the car sputter to life. "Are you ok?" She asked when she pulled out of the drivers seat and started driving towards the mall where they would get clothes. The tattoo hurt and she did not think she would be getting another tattoo anytime soon.

He sighed softly shaking his head. "Just a little tired," he said softly. He kept his eyes ahead of him not bothering to look anywhere else. He murmered, his eyes not flicking or moving around. He was like a statue as he sat there. He usually never made much movement but he was always highly aware of his surroundings. He memorized the way to the mall keeping his eyes on the rode.

(Was thinking of this being turned into a survival story. How about a zombie story?)
The moments between the restaurant and the mall were quiet and she almost turned on the radio to have some noise in the car. "Here we are." She said while parking in one of the spots closest to the entrance of the mall. When she parked she undid her seat belt and then got out of the car. It had been a long time since she had been here because she had lack of money. Now that her brother was back and they had a quarter of a million dollars saving didn't seem like a big problem anymore.