War Against Werecats

Daniel felt silly with a giant band-aid on his cheek, but he trusted her healing methods. This was the first time even making use of one of these silly things, since he rarely got hurt anymore. Now that Winston was showing his face around Seattle to target him, that was likely to change.

The bottle of peroxide was then handed to him. Curious about its scent, he held it under his nose and then wrinkled his brow. "That smells... Awful!" he commented loudly, making a cough as he stood up to pour this weird liquid on the girl's arm.

He followed her into the kitchen, still trying to shake off how this peroxide made his head feel. Catherine looked to be bracing herself for pain of some kind. When this was applied to him, there was but a minor sting. For her wound, it would probably hurt even worse. Still, without warning, he dumped it along her limb with a lame expression on his face.

"There you go..." he said, capping the bottle now that they were finished.

"Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....!!! IT feels awful too!" She shrieked, almost falling backwards from agony. Damn she remembered how bad she hated peroxide and almost wanted to find that Winston bastard and give him another drowning! Problem was, she ran out of energy way too fast using her powers. And in spite of the pain in her arm, she felt like she could pass out any second. The pain from peroxide was certainly horrible enough to keep her awake though! Jeez, talk about rotten luck!

Daniel watched with disbelief as she squirmed around, complaining about the pain this liquid caused her. He then grabbed the medical kit so they could finish this up. "So, uh, do I wrap you up now?" he asked, searching through the supplies. She would have to talk him through it if she wanted it done correctly. Otherwise, she'd end up with an arm of many band-aids, like the one on his face.

"I hope Winston doesn't show up again," he said in a stressful voice. Letting her go home alone seemed unwise, so either he'd leave again or have her stay here with him. Daniel had a boring, uncomfortable home, though...

Catherine gritted her teeth and had to lean her head on the counter top. "You'll have to wrap my arm in gauze. . . ." She replied, trying to not be such a wuss. But really, the claw marks were pretty deep and she guessed Winston didn't clean his nails! "I hope he doesn't show up again either, I'm pretty tempted to get a lighter and -set him on fire- if I see him again." She growled, mostly from pain. Finally the stinging sensation subsided into a dull throb. She was actually thinking about going home that night, since she did have a house to clean and homework to catch up on.... but maybe one night away from her apartment wouldn't be too bad. The company was certainly nice enough.She guided him on how to bandage up her entire arm with the gauze bandage, feeling fatigue settling back in now that the pain wasn't sharp enough to keep her eyes wide open.

With Catherine's instructions, Daniel was able to wrap up her arm quite decently. It wasn't that difficult to do, he soon figured out. This was likely a skill he'd be able to carry on for the rest of his days. No matter how simple it was, he felt awfully proud of himself! He didn't make much of a fuss about it, though. Daniel kept his cool, as usual...

The droopiness of her eyes was noted. Now he had to decide which was comfier: his couch or his bed? The couch, he supposed, was more plush. Was it rude to make a woman sleep there, though? Hopefully, she had the mental capacity to make a decision herself.

"Now, I think you ought to stay here, unless you want me to carry you home," he began to say, straightening up in front of her in case she might fall forward. "If you do stay here though, I recommend my couch. It's much cozier."

Catherine managed a small grin at that idea. "Hm, alright. Just for tonight though. I have school...and work.." She sighed tiredly. "Thanks again, Daniel. I hope things quiet down again. See you in the morning." She said, going to the couch and immediately falling asleep, curled up on her uninjured arm. She didn't even worry about blankets or pillows,she was just that tired! She found the couch very comfortable, and she tried not to over worry about anything as she usually did.

Daniel waved a goodbye to her as she went to his couch to curl up. Hopefully, his lack of clothing didn't disturb her. Now that he thought about it, he was pretty cold in just his underwear. His only blanket was grabbed from his room, then set down on her body so she'd have something to help contain warmth.

He hated to sleep during the nighttime, but he too had to work in the day. So, he went back to his room, leaving the door partially closed. With a grunt, he laid on his sad excuse for a bed. Since he had no blanket tonight, he curved his body to sleep much like a cat would do. This man's flexibility was amazing, but also stomach knotting.

The only thing that had truly stopped Catherine from going home that night was probably the fact she knew she'd never make it the entire trip home without passing out some where on a sidewalk, where creeps like Winston might get her. Now that she knew there was a band of enemy were-cats in the city, she knew she'd have to be a lot more alert and careful than usual, which kind of annoyed her,since she didn't like to worry so much about herself. She liked school and work for the same reasons- they were constant distractions from how gloomy her situation would seem. Though being independent and self-reliable were two great aspects everyone usually strove for, the truth was, it could get downright wary and cold on the inside. Meeting Daniel had probably brought her the first hint of warmth in years. She was hoping this would work out as a lasting friendship. It would be nice to have some sort of contact besides indifferent people all day.~ She found herself dreaming about that prospect, rather than her usual horror-film like nightmares. Interesting. It was as if being in Daniel's home preventing even bad thoughts from nearing her. She almost smirked in her sleep at that idea.

Like everyday, Daniel woke up with the sun. The morning was unpleasantly early, but this was a habit he made so he could make it to work on time. He also didn't own an alarm clock, so this was the next best thing.

Daniel blinked grumpily at the blinds on his window, wishing his room was darker. He hissed quietly as he rolled over, stretching out his long limbs before sitting up on his bed. A pair of jeans were pulled on, along with one of his usual button up shirts. The dress code for the coffee shop required him to look close to formal; not that he minded. Graphic t-shirts didn't quite suit him, anyway.

When he was dressed, he picked out a pair of socks and walked to his living room where Catherine was. One of his hands went to her shoulder, which he gently shook to wake her. "It's morning," he whispered.

Catherine woke up with a yawn, sitting up and blinking a few times. "Ah crap.. monday. I've got to get to school and then to my job later. Thanks again Daniel, I'd better hurry." She said, straightening her clothes and her hair as best she could. "Listen... here's my number if you ever just want to call me or hang out... I think I could definitely get used to you." She added with a smile. She handed him a piece of paper with her cell phone number on the front. She headed for the apartment door to let herself out, knowing she'd have to dash home just to grab her backpack. ...... Crap. She hated Mondays!

Daniel made a wry smile after she left, her phone number in hand. "She could 'get used to me'?" he said aloud to himself, shaking his head. He didn't really know what to make of that, but assumed that she meant well. No girl would say words like that, but still hand over contact information. Catherine was a very pretty girl, though he had to admit... She certainly wasn't the most intelligent.

The piece of paper was set down on his kitchen counter, and then he left his place to head to work. There was no reason he couldn't walk her to where she needed to be, there. Daniel had a little bit of time to kill... Waking up with the sun wasn't necessary, it was just habit.

As quickly as he could, he caught up with Catherine, showing no sign of exhaust when he did so. "I'll walk you there," he offered.

Catherine would certainly have resented that 'she's not the most intelligent' comment! So sue her if all her brains went to school and work, jeez! But in any case, she couldn't really refuse Daniel's offer, since she didn't really know how safe the area was in daylight hours. "Thanks. It's not far, just a few blocks. I'm glad my senior year's almost over." She said with a yawn, knowing she'd get to look forward to working full time. Maybe she'd have time for other things, but it wasn't likely. When they got to her school, she bid him goodbye properly, even with a small kiss on the cheek- just for being heroic. Then, she disappeared in the crowds of students, going to her first hour class.

She knew it would be a long day. By the time class was over, and work shift ended, she finally dragged her exhausted self home to get ready for instant-sleep. There wouldn't be time for anything else, since Tuesday she had to repeat the grueling routine of work-and-school. But on top of everything else, she had to be especially alert for enemy were-cats. Great! What could possibly go wrong with this picture? She sarcastically wondered as she dressed for bed, going to her closet to pick out new outfits and a clean work uniform. If she'd been anymore awake, she might have been a bit more cautious before reaching in her closet door....

Winston was getting suffocated in this closet. He didn't like the frilly scent of her clothes, or this apartment altogether! If he knew Daniel, he would be here to meet the human girl. That ex-member of the clan needed to be punished for befriending something so... Vile! Winston despised magic, therefore despised witches. More than anything, he wanted to pay her back for that wave of water she sent at him.

Once the door opened, one of his strong arms bolted out, his fingers wrapping around her neck. He gave a malicious stare as he watched her struggle, while gasping for air. "Hello, witch."

Winton's eyes shifted, searching for Daniel. None of his other senses detected him... He would have to show up at some point!

"Mmpf. I guess I'll have to wait," he said in a disappointed voice, setting his unused index finger on his lower lip. "Now. Should I drop you from the roof? Drown you in your own bathtub? With those cuts on your arm, everyone would suspect you were just suicidal!" With a dark laugh, he gave it all some thought, mostly to be torturous and scary.

Catherine felt a choking sensation around her neck as she tried to pry free from Winston's insanely tight grip! She struggled anyway, not caring that it was useless. "People know I'm not suicidal you complete dick. Now let go of me!" She coughed out hoarsely, fighting to get air through her lungs, trying to pry that merciless hand off her neck! She gave a hard kick to his shin for good measure, totally mad that he was not only invading her home, but trying to kill her. She wasn't going down quietly..! But how to get rid of this huge cat from hell?? Dousing him in water again wouldn't work...and he did have an advantage over her just then! Damn... ! This probably wasn't going to end well at all.

The kick to his shin made Winston bark out a laugh. One thing she seemed to underestimate was his tolerance of pain. Even in this human disguise, he was very resistant to physical attacks, especially from this meek girl who gasped for air. One of his fingers drew along the back of her neck, drawing a line of blood, but it was a minor flesh wound.

"You've got some spunk," he commented, amusement in his tone. "I'd take you for myself if you weren't a witch. You're very cute."

With a shrug, he released a heavy blow to her head using his elbow with the intention of knocking her out. Looks weren't everything; Winston was annoyed. Keeping her quiet until Daniel got here was ideal. He knew that fellow would arrive soon. He could tell that Daniel had his sights set on this one...

"Hope she'll like these," he said to himself. Daniel was given a bag of the pastries from work that didn't get sold. The only reason he accepted them was because he thought Catherine would like them. If not, they'd get trashed. He didn't much care for sweets.

In the distance, he could see her apartment come into view. He was very excited to see her, except, he couldn't help but feel a pang of worry. 'Winston.' he thought with some distaste, hastening his speed towards her home.

Unfortunately for Catherine, Winston had used the blow with the force of a sledgehammer. She really saw stars this time, and blacked out without much further protest except for a groan of pain as she fell forward, held up only by her enemy's hand. Soon she couldn't help but worry that Daniel was on his way... if he got hurt defending her, she'd never forgive herself. Blood began forming on the back of her head, and she knew a concussion was starting. Agony flooded her for a moment, but then there was nothing at all as soothing blackness eased the worry away from her conscience. She was then unable to care at all.

Just moments after Winston delivered that blow to Catherine's head, Daniel showed up at her doorstep. He opened the door, worry flooding him when he noticed it was unlocked. The bag of pastries was set down on a counter top of her kitchen and when he turned, he saw the face of his ex-leader, staring at him maliciously with an unconscious girl on his arm.

"You're such a bastard," he said crossly, snarling. "Put her down now."

"Danny, you are in no place to be ordering me around. But okay!" Winston let Catherine fall to the floor, uncaring of what that small drop might have damaged. "It's one thing to betray us and walk out on us, but... You're friends with a witch! Are you looking to disgrace the very thing you are!? Your friends? Your family?"

A cold look set in Daniel's stare. "No... You're all as afraid of difference as humans are. It's so pathetic," he answered, then got into a defensive stance. "Let me kick your ass already, so I can help her."

Winston guffawed at him and then popped his knuckles before making a lunge towards his opponent. He chased Daniel outside to the rooftop; Daniel was mindful of Catherine's beautiful apartment.

Once she awoke, he would be on the floor, not quite victorious, but they were left alone. Various wounds dotted his werecat form, though he was more exhausted than he was in pain. A large tongue licked at the back of her head, his throat whimpering with pleas that she would wake up...

Catherine didn't want to wake up at all. Everything was so much more peaceful when she couldn't think or feel. But she was semi-aware that she was being licked..! Weird.... Was that...Daniel? Oh damn, please don't let him be hurt! And then her eyes flew open, causing a groan of agony to rumble through her small form. "Daniel..please tell me you're not hurt..." When she saw the wounds, she started to cry. She remembered now, why she always preferred to live alone. People got hurt if they got close. She actually held him in his cat form, petting him gently, and looking at the extent of the damage Winston had brought to him. She didn't see anything fatal, but she saw enough that made her heart ache. She went to get her own first aid kit, and said he'd have to shift human for her to help. It was hard for her to remain conscious, everything hurt terribly from the concussion, but she wasn't concerned about herself at all.She waited for Daniel to turn human again, so she could try to patch him up.Something told her Winston wasn't gone for good, that he might even be back soon. But where could they go to hide out? She didn't know of anyone who'd care about her problems if she brought them up, and she didn't know if he had any secret places none of the other were-cats knew about. She couldn't remember a time when she felt less safe than she did now.

Daniel shut his eyes as she pet her, keeping back his grunts should her touch sting his wounds. He was very quick and skillful when it came to avoiding attacks, so he managed to not receive anything too life threatening. His throat vibrated softly with the sound of purring as she held him, a warmth spreading through his limbs. 'This... Is my fault...'

The giant, monster of a cat followed her to get the first aid kit. He felt disappointed that she left him, subtracting that warmth he wanted more of. Nobody like her has ever been so affectionate to him. Daniel was a beast, after all. Yet... She wasn't intimidated by it.

Once he thud onto the floor, and extended his long arms towards her the moment he saw her. She was pulled close to him, hugged against his chest as gentle tears began to fall from his eyes. Truth be told, Daniel was a sensitive man. As he quietly wept, he licked at her cheek, and the slowly returned to the form of a human. He was naked, and looked more damaged since his skin returned to its creamy colour, but he ignored all that, still holding her as if his life depended on it.

"I-I won't let him kill you. I p-promise," he told her in a gentle voice, officially dedicated to defending her from Winston. With her, they could probably even destroy him for good. She wielded the power of water, which was a great weakness to his clan. "I'm so... Sorry..."

Startled, Catherine turned to face him, still in his arms. "Daniel.... he has to be killed somehow..I don't want him hurting you either...." She said, leaning her head for a moment against his chest. She felt so dizzy...and her head throbbed with constant pain. But sleeping now could be fatal, so she focused instead on how sweet Daniel was. "None of this is anyone's fault but Winston's." She added, knowing somehow that he was blaming himself for what happened to her. For the moment, she simply left the first-aid kit on the floor, grabbed a blanket off the couch, and huddled with him on the sofa, surprised that it even felt like... she'd found someone who cared. Daniel wasn't like other males she'd known who presumed she was easy because she lived alone, -and- was young and pretty. He actually liked -her.- enough to protect her against perhaps one of the meanest people she'd met. It was definitely a new enough feeling that made her head spin even faster, if that was possible. Against better judgment, she closed her eyes, leaning her head on his chest, so tired, and yet... peaceful. For the first time in a long while.~