1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Sci-fi, Fantasy, Horror, Thriller, Modern, Fandoms
c32cc58ed2000c722a60482754355151.jpg

Welcome to the City of Melgarde! The capital of the glorious Empire of Galwor, founded two centuries ago and having served the role of the capital for the last 70 years.

The City of Melgarde has seen many changes and expansion over the 200 years since its creation. Starting out as a small, land based city, it quickly attracted many due to the proclamation that this will be the "City of the Future". And in fact, it has seen one of the biggest scientific changes in the world, serving as the first city to possess a residential area that was not based in the land, but rather managed to be secured safely in the air. Until then, the largest objects that have remained in the air were some of the militant-based airships.

This advancement caused Melgarde to start growing in population, and size, at an incredible rate, and with the building of new neighbourhoods now also possible in the skies, the potential for expansion seemed endless. While many of the other countries desired to learn the secret, it had barely gone even out of the reach of Melgarde, keeping the city's status as the beacon of scientific advancement permanently above all the others.
The allure of the city, however, would not see any kind of limit. Not only would scientists, businessmen and politicians move to Melgarde, but also criminals, thieves and low lives of all kinds. People from any kind of background sought to find their place in Melgarde, the city that promised it all, while keeping the biggest secret to itself.

And now, as the city is months away from its 200 year anniversary celebrations, it feels as though things could not be any better for the residents. The police are always on alert, the industry is booming, airships always come and go, and most importantly, the population of Melgarde keeps on rising.

But those that live in the shadows of the city, the ones who steal and break the laws, have started hearing rumours. Something that may be missed at the top. Someone who potentially managed to do the unthinkable and steal, before hiding away, something incredibly valuable to the founding family of the city, the Melgardes. And now, the police are committing quick raids on any place that might hide away any sort of criminal, in attempts to reclaim that which was stolen.

Will you find your way to this stolen treasure and claim it as your own? Will you simply look to survive? Or will you attempt to escape before your fate is sealed at the hands of the Melgarde Police? The time is at hand for you to seek what fate truly waits for you.

Welcome to the interest thread of Wanted: Melgarde!

As you may have surmised from the details given, this is meant to be a Steampunk roleplay, which will revolve around a group of criminals, from different backgrounds, that end up working together. To what goal is to be determined, since multiple rumours may roam in the alleys and hideouts.

Seeing as I have already set the main setting and plot, allow me to explain how I was hoping to run things.

~ One GM, which will be me. I will be open to hearing ideas about anything, from NPC's to your character plots, and work with you guys to incorporate those into the story. But as it is a world I made, I'll have the final say if it will work in the setting or not.
(With that said, I am normally pretty open for ideas)

~ I will want to keep the roleplay to a relatively small number of people, of about 4-5 members, not including myself. This is both to try and keep things rolling with a good pace and what I personally feel would be manageable for myself.

~ I will expect a post once or twice a week. If you do not believe you could keep up with that pace, then I will apologize and say ahead of time that I do not wish to go with a slower pace than that.

~ I will allow members to create one character to begin with. This is just to get things going. If I see things are going well and that we don't have any hindrances from any of the members, then I will be opening for changing this.

~ I'll want to make use of the dice mechanic. This won't be used for every single post, and some things I will let just occur naturally, but at times I will request for a dice roll. Think of it as a mini DND feature in the roleplay, that could determine how certain actions do.

~ Finally, and this is a big note, I won't be going with "First Come, First Serve". I'll let people apply until I accept 4-5, then close the entry. Won't matter when you applied, only if I feel the character you made and the level you write in feels good for me.

With all that said and done, I can't wait to see if people are interested! If I see at least 3 people interested, I'll start working on an OOC. And hopefully open it quickly.

Reactions: marcy
Well, my idea is based around a human society, but I would be open for other species.
It is just that as criminals being the PC characters, you'll need to have characters that won't stick out much. So if there were other races, I imagine the ones that would stick less out would be Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings.
But if you have any other races in mind, feel free to hit me up with the idea and how it could fit without sticking out.

Reactions: Lisianthus
This sounds promising. I'll stick myself up in the interest pile. Hopefully this Interest Check hasn't faded.

Reactions: Nim
Hasnt faded yet! Just been waiting for others to show interest.

• Useful
Reactions: TheUnworthy
You know what, I think I do want to rob steampunk banks!

Would "folk magic" work in this setting? I am thinking bare bones, real "magic" like alchemy as an example.

Would "folk magic" work in this setting? I am thinking bare bones, real "magic" like alchemy as an example.

I think Magic would be a more... Well, let me put it like this.
Magic can be considered science we do not understand yet. So that is how anything that seems Magical would be viewed as in this world.
The entire setting of Melgarde, with its floating neighbourhoods, would be considered as a "Magical" setting, due to most people not truly knowing how it is possible, only that there is science behind it.

So straight up folk magic? I'm not sure if it would work. Even if I am open to allowing other species in the roleplay, I want to keep it a bit more logical and less magical. Part of the reason I went with Steampunk.
But we can keep discussing the matter as I start setting things up for an OOC, seeing as we got a third interest now.

I think Magic would be a more... Well, let me put it like this.
Magic can be considered science we do not understand yet. So that is how anything that seems Magical would be viewed as in this world.
The entire setting of Melgarde, with its floating neighbourhoods, would be considered as a "Magical" setting, due to most people not truly knowing how it is possible, only that there is science behind it.

So straight up folk magic? I'm not sure if it would work. Even if I am open to allowing other species in the roleplay, I want to keep it a bit more logical and less magical. Part of the reason I went with Steampunk.
But we can keep discussing the matter as I start setting things up for an OOC, seeing as we got a third interest now.

That's what folk magic is. It's more science. Alchemy was literal medicine at the time, Alchemy gave birth to gun powder. I didn't know the world's concept of magic. But it is why I asked if really grounded, real magic could work.

That's what folk magic is. It's more science. Alchemy was literal medicine at the time, Alchemy gave birth to gun powder. I didn't know the world's concept of magic. But it is why I asked if really grounded, real magic could work.

Well, if that's the definition of Folk magic, then its already present, but to a pretty minimalistic degree. Most people in this setting would be more reliant on things they know there is proper science behind. I imagine Magic would be left to those who want to more... experiment with things.
So I'd make it a rarity in the city of Melgarde, even among the criminals.

• Useful

Well, if that's the definition of Folk magic, then its already present, but to a pretty minimalistic degree. Most people in this setting would be more reliant on things they know there is proper science behind. I imagine Magic would be left to those who want to more... experiment with things.
So I'd make it a rarity in the city of Melgarde, even among the criminals.

Understood. Thank you for answering my 4 am musings.

Alright, I'll work on things tonight and hoping to have an OOC set up by tomorrow evening.

Heya, just a quick update! The OOC is halfway done! I have finished the character sheet, if you peps want to start working on your characters or hear more details about Melgarde, I'd be happy to share them!

I am thinking of some kind of tinkerer. Someone who pulls things apart, fiddles with locks, and mechanical things. Not a straight up inventor, just someone really good at pulling things apart or putting them back together. Would that be something that could work in this steampunk environment?

I am thinking of some kind of tinkerer. Someone who pulls things apart, fiddles with locks, and mechanical things. Not a straight up inventor, just someone really good at pulling things apart or putting them back together. Would that be something that could work in this steampunk environment?
Yeah! It could work. I can certainly see people like that being a part of a criminal underworld.

• Thank You
Yeah! It could work. I can certainly see people like that being a part of a criminal underworld.
And now what about steampunk prosthetic? I found a photo that really jives with what I am going for.

I could possibly be interested. I haven't been in an RP in about a year or two so I'm very rusty, but this def grabs my attention. :)

And now what about steampunk prosthetic? I found a photo that really jives with what I am going for.
Steampunk prosthetics could work, and depending on the limb could even hold some tools. But I will say the prosthetics will have a certain type of reputation to them. Not really a good one, more of a I feel sorry for you type of reputation.

I could possibly be interested. I haven't been in an RP in about a year or two so I'm very rusty, but this def grabs my attention. :)
Awesome! Well, hope this helps dust things off for you!

And the OOC should be up by tonight! Just need to finish writing down some things about Melgarde and the world to help everyone be capable of setting up a background for their characters!

Steampunk prosthetics could work, and depending on the limb could even hold some tools. But I will say the prosthetics will have a certain type of reputation to them. Not really a good one, more of a I feel sorry for you type of reputation.

I smell abelism. Mmm my favorite type of topic.

@TheUnworthy @Duchess @Ivy @Esmeralda Blackheart

Tagging you all since you showed interest!
The OOC for the roleplay is open! You can go ahead, read all the additional details, and start forming those CS's!

@TheUnworthy @Duchess @Ivy @Esmeralda Blackheart

Tagging you all since you showed interest!
The OOC for the roleplay is open! You can go ahead, read all the additional details, and start forming those CS's!

Hi--so sorry I disappeared but just letting you know I'm not going to be able to join. I, for whatever reason, can't remember to check Iwaku anymore. I think I'm just passed that point in my life, but I wish y'all all the best luck and I hope this is an amazing RP!