Want to Plan a Space Opera RP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stealth would be good. Intelligence is a maybe I'd say. I say that because Intelligence would encompass Hacking, First-Aid, and Repair. So we would roll a d20 and add the modifier from the skills you allocate to each of these, making team work very important. After all, I don't plan this to be a heavy action RP. I want it to be more of a Suspense sort of thing. Like how Psychopass has the occasional action chase scene, but its more about the suspense of it all. The hunt and the escape. These characters are not going to be badass for their fighting skills but for their survival.

Stealth would be good. Intelligence is a maybe I'd say. I say that because Intelligence would encompass Hacking, First-Aid, and Repair. So we would roll a d20 and add the modifier from the skills you allocate to each of these, making team work very important. After all, I don't plan this to be a heavy action RP. I want it to be more of a Suspense sort of thing. Like how Psychopass has the occasional action chase scene, but its more about the suspense of it all. The hunt and the escape. These characters are not going to be badass for their fighting skills but for their survival.
Yeah, I get ya. But in my eyes, intelligence and knowledge are different things, knowledge is something you have to study, like technology, robotics, medicine, etc.
Intelligence however, is one's problem solving skills. The innate ability to act upon a problem with a logical solution, how good they are at figuring something out, how easily they can learn new skills, stuff like that.

Mmm But that is something that would be better off roleplayed out. If they are trying to solve a problem it'd be better for the characters to think of a solution rather than have the players roll for finding a solution, and then be given a solution in that case. But yes, knowledge and intelligence are two separate things.

Rolling for solving a problem would really impede the number of creative decisions that players would make. That is what I see with Intelligence being a skill

Reactions: Zeroisdead
Mmm But that is something that would be better off roleplayed out. If they are trying to solve a problem it'd be better for the characters to think of a solution rather than have the players roll for finding a solution, and then be given a solution in that case. But yes, knowledge and intelligence are two separate things.

Rolling for solving a problem would really impede the number of creative decisions that players would make. That is what I see with Intelligence being a skill
^^; I guess im looking at it too much from a D&D perspective, where as having an intelligence stat would only boost your chance of a successful roll. My bad. I guess it will be decided by roll then.

Don't worry I understand. I'm seeing this as the RP is mainly skill challenges, as opposed to a mixture between skill and encounters. since the Attributes are ususally more directly associated with combat than they are with the skills, I thought it better to bypass the them altogether.

Don't worry I understand. I'm seeing this as the RP is mainly skill challenges, as opposed to a mixture between skill and encounters. since the Attributes are ususally more directly associated with combat than they are with the skills, I thought it better to bypass the them altogether.
Ok, then. Sounds good ^^

Alright. I'd like to generate some more interest for this first, before I make a Sign Up

Okay sounds like a plan. I'll try to brainstorm any other ideas for the plot

Well assuming the likes I got on the first post were people displaying interest, that means we have about six people. So I'm gonna make an OOC when I get the chance. See y'all then!

• Thank You
Throw me onto the interest list as well.

Might be cool, but I'd have to bombard some questions.

If it's SF/Fantasy, what sort of fantasy elements are we talking about here? Psionics/"space magic"? Outright REAL magic of some sort (I can suggest a name or two, at least)?

How weird can we get with alien races?

How important will space fighters be? Or giant robots? Or power armor? Whatever the case, mixing it up in high speed space combat action is fun, so how will we go about it?

What's the general level of technology, and style thereof, for that matter? Might as well pin things down for the setting in that regard, so everyone can actually build off of some base or another.

Good questions.
If it's SF/Fantasy, what sort of fantasy elements are we talking about here? Psionics/"space magic"? Outright REAL magic of some sort (I can suggest a name or two, at least)?

I put Science Fantasy mostly as a possible option of plot devices later on. It'd be psionics mostly, though I don't think player wise, the characters will get much use out of it. Also humanity has not really evolved to "true pscionics." Aside from a select few races, most races would need a special device to simulate psionics. This is a piece of equipment, not something hard wired to the body. No outright real magic and not that space magic of destiny.

How weird can we get with alien races?

I'd say pretty weird. That said, they should be relatively humanoid. I don't want massive tentacle monsters piloting the ship, as hilarious as that sounds.

How important will space fighters be? Or giant robots? Or power armor? Whatever the case, mixing it up in high speed space combat action is fun, so how will we go about it?

All skills will be important. I do not really plan to have character deaths, unless it is discussed with the player thoroughly in OoC. If they are cool with it they can make another after their death. But to your question,

Space Fights will incorporate many skills Piloting, Accuracy, Hacking, Repair. The rolls we make on these well determine different plot points(do they succeed, need a new thruster, left drifting, crash on an unknown planet etc.) So yes they will be important, and a large portion of the action falls heavily on the team work of characters in IC.

Dark Summit will be have about two Fighter Ships, maybe one Loader Exo-suit, and a decent arsenal of weapons and armor. It's up to the player to decide how these are used. I still have many things I need to add at the time. I mostly put what was the most needed to make a character.

What's the general level of technology, and style thereof, for that matter?

As I started making this, Mass Effect and Captain Harlock kept coming to mind. So this rp is influenced by it. The technology is similar to Mass Effect, I feel, though it really differs from nation to nation. Since Dark Summit used to be a Galactic Federation Battle Ship, it's technology is rather advanced, though more functional than aesthetic. I did picture very similarly to the Normandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.