Wanna know your thoughts on polyamorous relationsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming from someone who is most definitely 100% monogamous, polyamory is weird to me. I've never been in a poly relationship, and I haven't seen one that seems to be working. That's from an outside perspective, of course. Most of these relationships I have seen always has one partner constantly talking about how no one loves them. To me, that's a slap in the face to the person they're currently with. I understand that both partners have to have full disclosure, complete consent, and boundaries set, but I feel like one partner is only doing it because they love the other. Does that make sense? Again, outside perspective. I understand that even monogamous relationships have those moments of where one partner doesn't agree, like, or want their S.O. to do something but allow it for the sake of "love". To me, that's not real love because one person is then allowing themselves to be taken advantage of. I feel like that's the cornerstone to resentment.

It just wouldn't work for me >.< this doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. If it does, cool ha. I can see the point behind it in some circumstances, I suppose. -shrugs-

There was one person recently that made me question my willingness to be in an openish kind of relationship.

As far as roleplaying, I have sort of explored this, but my monogamous ideas still shined through with my characters resentment and possessiveness. Would I be willing to try roleplaying a poly relationship, sure! Why not? I'm generally up for most anything. Maybe at this point I've grown as a writer and wouldn't let my personal feelings taint it. Too much anyway =P

I'm aro, so romantic relationships in general really aren't my thing -- but I certainly see nothing wrong with polyamory if everyone involved is comfortable with it. In fact, speaking as someone who doesn't experience romance -- polyamory actually makes more sense to me than monogamy.

Like, the closest thing I experience to romance is just having really close friends. And when it comes to friends -- even when I find one friend that I'm really close with, and I really enjoy spending time with, there's no reason for me to put that friend on a pedestal and reject my other friends to be with them. Having multiple friends is good. Besides, having only one friend as my sole source of emotional support would be... probably rather unhealthy. Each friend can fulfill a different emotional need. And there doesn't have to be anything wrong with my first friend for me to want to seek out friendships with other people. I just connect with other people in different ways and for different reasons, and it's fine to spend time with other friends and interact with them in ways that I might not with my one friend.

Besides, I have a few hangups with romance in general, but I feel like most of those issues feel the strongest in terms of a monogamous relationship in particular. Like, one thing that's always kind of freaked me out about seeing people in relationships is that it just seems so inevitable that it's going to end. There's this narrative of finding the one person who's meant for you, but, every time I see a couple, I can't help but think, "odds are you won't marry them. And even if you do, there's always the chance for divorce". And on top of that, broken up and divorced couples always seem to hate each other so much. I've seen people talk about all the things that were "poisoned" by their exes -- things they used to enjoy doing but now can't because it makes them think about these people that they used to love but they can't stand them anymore. And it's all just kind of freaky to think about. Like, yes, I understand that friendships don't last forever, either, but I rarely find myself with "poisoned memories". I can still look back fondly on the good times I've spent with old friends, even if we've drifted apart and I don't really consider them a friend anymore. Relationships end in breakups whereas most friendships seem to just sort of... fade away. They end with a whimper rather than a bang (not always, mind you -- but most of the time, it seems). And I used to wonder what made relationships so special that they end in nasty breakups instead of just fading away like most friendships. And I think it has something to do with the fact that most of us don't go through life with only one friend at a time. We have multiple friends, so when the bond with one friend starts to break, you might be distracted by all the fun you're having with your other friends, to the point where your older friendship might fall apart without the two of you ever even formally acknowledging it. But with monogamous relationships, it's like... you can't officially find another romantic partner until you break things off with the old one. So the ending to a monogamous relationship always has to be an event -- you have to make a formal declaration that you're breaking up with someone. And not only that, but there's always all this turbulence leading up to it -- struggling to make it work, trying to decide whether or not it's worth it to try to hold onto the relationship... And, like, yeah, I've sort of been there with friendships, too, but in those cases it seems easier to just... not make a big deal about it, and just let whatever happens, happen. And even if you do go through some sort of formal "breakup" with a friend -- at least you won't be sad, alone, and single. You have other friends you can turn to. And the loss of the one friend probably won't even feel as bad as it could have because that one friend wasn't even the center of your life to begin with -- you'll miss them, sure, but they were always one of many friends, so the loss isn't as great, and the recovery period isn't as painful.

I don't know if this is how polyamory works, but, from an outside perspective, it sure seems like it would function more like a group of friendships than this process of picking one, sole person to dedicate yourself too. And for that reason, I find it a lot more relatable.

Like I said, though, I'm aromantic, and I don't really get romance even in a general sense, so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. These are just my thoughts on the subject.

I do poly relationships because there are things I cannot provide my partner that someone else may be able to provide. I'll be frankly honest and say my mental health issues put a strain on my relationships a lot of the time.

To me poly relationships aren't always about sex, but they provide something in the relationship a partner may not be able to meet.

I have open relationships because I can understand the strain of my partner, that my mental health puts on them. Its taxing on the both of us and there are things I cannot provide in a normal relationship, that a normal relationship can provide.

To think one person can provide all of your needs at all times, is a ridiculous notion. Everyone has flaws and limitations, just so happens my flaws and limitations often break and destroy relationships. I try to provide that option so neither of us get tired or spent with each other.

Because I often in my relationships meet, the "i don't think I have the patients for your needs any more".

So poly relationships gave my relationships breathing room. Especially when I am having an episode.

I have no problem with poly relationships as long as people understand what they are. I've seen people in poly relationships just for the sexual aspect and I am, like groan. It isn't just about that. It's about providing where your partner cannot provide, not just sexually, but non sexual physical touch [do to abuse, I don't touch people, I don't like hugs, and also sensory issues because Autism], emotional support [again due to schizophrenia and autism I have a natural flat affect so I do not sound as emotional or can be as emotional as say another partner].

As a writer, polyamory is just one of the many plot ideas I have in my toolkit. Nothing impersonal here, it's just how it works for me. It's also one of my hidden plot candies. It doesn't mean I won't play monogamous characters, though.

As a person, polyamory is natural for me. I can't bring myself to dedicate all of my time and energy to one person. It's like if you have kids - you can't just pick a favorite and let them have everything in your will for no good reason. It's too.. selfish, I suppose? I can't think of the right wording here. If you get what I mean, I applaud you. There's just too many fish out there.

Then again, I often find myself without a relationship because either a. the other person isn't poly, or b. it ends like any other monogamous relationship - because it just won't work out.

I've even had a case where a partner pretended to be poly and really wasn't. Needless to say, she was indeed the jealous type. Again, the "child favorite" thing comes into play.

But just to everyone in general - it's just a matter of taste. Don't shun people for this or overly praise them. People are people. It's not a "special snowflake" situation.

Reactions: Vardoger and Figgy
When I say polyamory it seems like most people are thinking exclusively of open relationships and that's interesting. Closed poly relationships must be even more rare than I thought.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Being in a polyamourous relationship takes communication, honesty, and having an open mind. It's not all about sex. When someone is in a polyamorous relationship, they tend to be more mature and thoughtful and they are more often than not someone who enjoys sharing the love they have in their heart with more than one person. Polyamory is not for everyone. If you think "oh it's just for people who want more and more" or "oh you're such a whore" and so on, so forth, it's not about that. It's about being super loving and caring.

These types of relationships aren't for those with trust issues, those who can't keep an open mind and those who are extremely possessive. There are poly relationships that everyone involved is in it for the sex and that's okay. There's also those who are in it for the affection and romantic aspect, even without the sex. There can be a balance to it as well.

Closed poly relationships seem so rare and it's sad because people don't get to see that aspect of it. It's amazing and fun and just overall a wonderful experience in my opinion.

I'm poly. I've been in 2 poly relationships, which failed. One because it just didn't work out and the other because my main partner was a cheating, lying asshole who is no longer in my life.

But I've also had a few mono relationships, all of which never worked out. With the exception of the lying cheating asshole, all my breakups were amicable. I don't have any crazy exes or anything. I'd probably have no issues being friends with any of my exes if I wanted to. [spoili]But what is "Worked out" anyway? Marriage? [/spoili]

I've never tried to write or rp a poly relationship. But I have wished there was some good representation of a HEALTHY poly relationship. I have never seen one. Too frequently, "poly" gets misinterpreted as "open relationship / have sex with everything" which often just leads to unhealthy relationships and unhealthy dynamics.

A lot of assholes will just use polyamory as an excuse to be a jerk. They go sleeping around on their partner and they go "Oh I'm just poly" or they will pretend to be poly when in actuality they want to just sleep around. Even open poly relationships have rules, and if you break them that is cheating.

My last poly relationship allowed for us to date anyone but we had to tell each other about it and allow a sort of "veto" if you will. We also had to be truthful to the other people-- the other person had to know we were in a relationship too. My ex completely disregarded that and lied about his several side fuckbuddies to me. And then led all his fuckbuddies to believe he was in a mono relationship with them. That's not a poly person. That's an asshole. And then poly gets lumped up in that and it's how poly isn't seen as being about love anymore. Or it's confused with polygamy, which is an entirely different issue.

Anyway, my ideal relationship is 3 people who mutually love eachother. I'm not active in any poly communities but from what I've seen the most popular setup is a daisy chain, where there's 2 people who are their "main" partner and then each partner has their own other side partner(s), which have no interaction with the other main one. I know that works and I've obviously been in that setup before, but it's just not my ideal.

Pros of HEALTHY polyamory: It's like a big family. There's lots of love to share. Community parenting. (theoretically) better home money sharing/budgeting. Trust. [spoili]Fun sex stuff. But this is definitely NOT the major draw for me!! In fact I am basically asexual at this point lol[/spoili]

Cons of a HEALTHY poly relationship: Legal issues. Possible public image/reputation issues. (theoretically) WAY more family gatherings.

tl;dr I'm poly. There's too many examples of not-poly things being touted as poly. We need healthy poly representation.

I'm also sort of in a poly relationship right now? I guess? It's only online so far so I'm not sure it counts. Me and @Chatoyante are "dating" (if it can be called that) but she is married to a guy and she also has a kid.
Her husband is also poly and knows about us but I don't really like him. So I'm not sure what's going to happen with this. We do have plans to meet at some point (my living situation is a little weird right now, but as soon as I have a house, we'll likely schedule it for real). I guess we'll see where it goes then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Chatoyante is also poly and had a few relationships, so maybe she can comment as well.

Why have one booty when you can have two?

Kidding. Polyamory doesn't appeal to me; I don't think I'm capable of, nor interested in, sharing romantic affection with multiple people. That sounds far too stressful emotionally, not to mention I think I'm too selfish for something like that. I wouldn't like to write it, either.

To each their own-- if that's what you like, go for it.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
Totally didn't realize this discussion was still going on haha. Anyway to answer your question OP about why I haven't roleplayed it yet - basically the opportunity has never really come up. And I guess I have too many other plots I want to do to make a whole new plot just to focus on polyamory. I guess what I mean is if the opportunity came up I think it would be cool to give it a try. But it's not an enormous interest.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Totally didn't realize this discussion was still going on haha.
:P you can't expect a topic lounge this to die in just a couple of days!

I'm polyamorous and I realized that a monogamous relationship made me unhappy.

There is a difference between having an open relationship, and polyamory relationships. My current relationship has been open since the beginning, but I never took "advantage" of it in the almost four years we've been together until last month.

For me, accepting that I was polyamorous was quite a path of self-discovery. I know I'm capable of sharing intimacy with more than one person, that I can have romantic feelings and sexual attraction towards more than one person. For me, open relationship meant I could hook up with other people, but the main difference with being poly, is that I want actual relationships with other people.

As much as many people don't understand how one can love more than one person, I can't understand how I could not. I make a horrible monogamous partner, it makes me unhappy and I always feel like I'm a horrible cheater for how I feel. So I broke the chains of social norms and I'm now dating a few other people. One of them was more into casual dating and we had lots of sexy fun (before they went MIA =__=) while some others, I had deep philosophical and nerdy discussions with them and did the whole blushu blushu thing. It makes me happy, whether it's other women or men or queer people.

It's super important to be honest with everyone involved. I need to establish early on what the other person's expectations are, because as I mentioned, I am totally able to develop romantic feelings with someone I date, but if they don't want that kind of relationship, I completely respect that. Love and life is meant to be fun, meant to be experienced in all kinds of exciting ways, and polyamory has allowed this for me.

ps; Polygamy is completely different, and actually illegal in the US. It's usually more of a religious thing to do, where a person marries more than one partner and they live together. Typically the people being married to the same person are not involved with each other, and only get to be involved with that one person they married. Polyamory is a bit more "free" in that regard, where everyone can date who they want and marriage is not part of the equation (unless someone has a "main partner")

• Nice Execution!
I can't understand it's but I was raised with monogamy so I have no clue how they don't get jealous etc. Like I can't be in an open relationship without self doubt. It's uncomfortable but I respect people

I guess you could say I've been in both 'types' of relationships--polyamorous and monogamous--for about the same amount of time. Seven years in polyamory, seven years in monogamy. Fourteen years with the same partner.

Anyway, yes, my husband and I are polyamorous. We've spent the last seven years as a monogamous partnership, but in the last year we've started talking about the possibility of being in a polyamorous relationship again. The first time we did it was as a "V" relationship, where I had two partners. Very early on there were a couple attempts at adding another female partner. Ideally, we'd like one more partner, so we could have a closed triad...but there's a reason those partners are colloquially called unicorns.
Short descriptions of previous attempts/relationships:
One of the attempts happened with a close friend of ours. She dated my husband for two months before determining that polyamory wasn't for her. Minor heartache ensued, but everyone got over it. We are all still good friends. The other attempt failed after three months because the girl ultimately was not interested in a serious relationship. Things died off without much fanfare when she revealed she had a "new" boyfriend and was no longer dating us.

Basically, my experience is almost wholly in being within a closed V relationship. Considering we were teenagers when this all happened, my parents were skeptical but willing to hear me out. After they instituted a "cooling off" period (aka, I was not allowed to see my partners outside of school for a couple of weeks), everyone eventually came around to it. We'd go to everyone's family functions as a trio, and there were never any big issues raised. Eventually, my partner from the V decided to leave, as he was monogamous and wanted to be able to date other women. The only thing I blame him for is the way he treated me before breaking up with me, which was more disrespectful than anything else.

Honestly, I'm curious to see how things are different when dating a person who has had experience being in a polyamorous relationship, or who considers themselves polyamorous. I'd like to think experience counts for something, be it monogamy or polyamory.

Pros: Greater pool of resources to pull from, both emotionally or physically. In order to succeed, you need to learn effective ways of communicating and become adaptable. It's really awesome when you have someone cheering for your happiness/when you feel happy cheering on someone else's happiness. It offers a solution for when you/your partner(s) need some time alone, but you/your partner(s) need someone to lean on. Family gatherings! Most or many of the same pros you get from a monogamous relationship.

Cons: There is no well-known "standard" or healthy model for people in a polyamorous relationship to follow. There are so many varied forms of it, and some of them are misunderstood/co-opted by others. Or that my ideal polyamorous relationship wouldn't necessarily jive with someone else's ideal, despite us both being "poly." The whole nerve-wracking "coming out" to your family, if you choose to do so. Family gatherings!

I'm gonna be honest. Speaking as someone who can't even get one man..... I could never be in a poly relationship no matter what way it went. Me and my characters are selfish assholes who need someone to pay attention to them. I'd get too damn jealous. But if others are happy with it, it ain't my business and more happiness to 'em.

Reactions: CherrieCafe
I'm personally Monogomous. But I have no issues with other's being in a open or polyamorous relationship, it all falls under the "What you do in private ain't my business" category. You know, as long as all people involved are consenting and are able to consent in the first place.

That being said, there's a few specific points on these I either find rather interesting to talk about, or I feel that people in this thread may of just missed something on.

I can't comprehend how Monogamous couples can tolerate only having feelings or emotional support from one person.

Because often times, they don't. All Monogamous means is you don't practice romantic or sexual bonding with more than one person. The feelings, or emotional support gained from or felt towards others isn't related... at all. For example, have you ever had that ex where you still have strong feelings for them? Years after you've broken up you still find yourself thinking about them? Well, it's not like those feelings go away the second you get together with someone else, you may not have romantic interactions with that ex anymore, but your feelings and love for them is still very much genuine, and not focused solely on your current romantic partner. Or say for example, you get stuck in the classic situation where you meet two people you outright adore, but you have to pick only one to be with (may it be for personal or external reasons). Once again, you don't suddenly lose affection for the person who don't choose, you just don't act romantic with them.

And then you're also forgetting friends, normal everyday friends. Ever wondered why husbands/boyfriends have nights out with the guys and vice/versa? Cause they don't get all their emotional needs provided by one person. Just because you're not romantic with other people doesn't mean you're not gaining something from them. This notion of "Monogmous people put all their eggs in one basket" is rather inaccurate. In regards to romantic and sexual needs specifically? Yes, it's accurate. Needs over all? No... not by a long shot.

Monogamy ends badly, and drama with Ex's is terrible.

Now I've never been in a Poly relationship myself, but I would of highly wagered this isn't Monogamous specific. 'Would of' wagered cause we actually already had poly people post here mention such drama from their partners, so we can state for a fact it still happens. This really is not an issue of partner quantity, but the individuals own ability to properly control their emotions. Do you both have the self control to recognize the relationship just didn't fit your needs, and that you're best off moving on? Do you have the maturity to push through the initial pain of a break up, and realise it will get better with time, rather than blaming someone hurting just as much as you are for your problems? Do you have the ability to separate your own hobbies/enjoyment from your ex? And not constantly fixate on something negative because of some connection?

When a bad or nasty break up happens, the reason for them is that one or both partners answered "no" to those questions. Not because they chose against having multiple partners.

And note, you can take your initial break up rather hard and then snap out of it later. I for one did not handle a break up well back when I was in High School, I took it rather personally and unleashed a lot of guilt and anger at my ex that frankly she didn't deserve. But I was at least able to evaluate my actions and the situations since then, and remove any negative feelings I may of felt towards her or our relationship.

Monogamy has Biological history.

I think a lot of people here has misunderstood the nature of Monogamous relationships of simply being an invention of religion. Where yes, religion coming in and mandating it certainly helped, and making it a legal benefit and status has certainly added additional pressures and expectations around it. But it really isn't that simple either.

Now, obviously I'm not an evolutionary expert, so I can only give a basic summary. But basically let's go back to hunter-gatherer society, or hell back when we were still animals. Poly was certainly around... But for a minority. It was mainly reserved for Alpha Males, those who showed to have superior gene's, survival talent and dominance, so a lot of women in the tribe would want to mate with him. However, mating for women wasn't as easy as "Get Pregnant". She then had to carry the child, give birth to the child, and then raise and feed the child. That takes a lot of work and effort, and protection since for a good portion of that she and the baby are going to be left vulnerable. And as capable as the Alpha Male is, he's resources are still limited and he can only afford to look after, protect and provide for so many females. As a result, the females start looking for other males, those who are happy to simply have one female partner. Where although he may be as prime a specimen as an Alpha, he can divert all his attention to that one female alone, therefore allowing her a similar amount of safety and food as the multiple females with the Alpha.

However, the need's of the woman has decreased overtime, given our evolutionary history, as well as our technological and cultural advances in society. Thus allowing a lower standard for people to qualify for "Survival of the fittest", and thus the crude mating and evolutionary laws of nature have been lessened. To the point that being poly or open is now beneficial to a large number of people, especially considering women are no longer automatically regulated to the nurturing/home maker role, and can thus can provide for themselves and not become an economic burden. However, genetics and instincts don't just vanish that easily. So although the need for being Monogamous has largely passed, we still evolved to favour it, so a lot of people will naturally gravitate towards it. And at the end of the day, we're talking about a partnership arranged for (almost) no other reason today than personal satisfaction, so this isn't really something we need to be worrying about 'overcoming' anyways.
P.S. Anyone that gives me a cookie or a bucket of rainbows here is asking for a good smacking! XD
Well I was going to give you a useful rating.
But now...

I don't have a problem with it, people should do what makes them happy. This, however, is not something I would do. I prefer to be in a monogamous relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.