Wandering Spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Caligo pushed the sleeping lad into his arms, Julian's eyes nearly popped out of his head. Compounded with the order to 'Make sure he doesn't awaken,' Julian, whose heart was already quaking and palpitating, felt as though he might be the next young man to be unconscious. The strange spell Caligo had used to put the boy to sleep was unfamiliar to Julian. He did know a tertiary spell, one he seldom used, that accomplished something similar, but it was much less refined, and aimed not to gently lull a person to slumber, but instead wallop them over the head with a quick, concentrated burst of magic and render them unconscious. However, since his abilities mutated, Julian had refrained from casting, as he just couldn't be sure what else about his power had changed: that simple spell that once acted like nothing more than a swift punch might now take a man's head clean off.

Regardless of his reservations, Julian put on an understanding face, eyes heavily lidded, mouth neutral and calm, and nodded his acceptance of responsibility. The current certainly was not a time for petty arguments, but Julian simply could not see how this boy could ever again have any semblance of a childhood. Although he was to escape bearing witness to his father's demise, the facts remained. The addition of his lost mother only volumized the tragedy of it all; if Caligo's scamp were to truly come out of this sound of mind and spirit after such loss, Julian knew he would have to completely resign himself from any and all self-pity—although it was tough being ostracized and ultimately exiled, the concept of his outing was fairly minute in comparison to the loss of a parent, let alone two.

With the boy wrapped up tightly in his arms, Julian turned his back to Caligo and walked until he was out of the clearing, leaving the white haired rogue and the possessed former father alone. Part of him was very much curious about Caligo's arcane repertoire, but perhaps he was simply being cynical: it was best to know all one could about a possible opponent: Caligo seemed very much pure-of-heart, but Julian viewed the concept of complete and utter trust in a person one hardly knew as foolish. Out of sight, perhaps fifteen yards from where they'd originally stood, Julian knelt down behind the wide old trunk of a tall cedar, that way if the scamp were to suddenly burst to his senses, he would not be able to see what it was Caligo was about to do. It was just about then, when Julian was becoming settled behind the trunk, that alien crack assaulted the silence. Like a dog catching a scent, Julian's ears and eyes perked up. Slowly he moved his head until his vision crept past the barrier of the tree trunk. What he saw was nothing short of mesmerizing: thousands of glittering ashen particles caught in an oblique tuft of moonlight rising from a spot on the ground where the boy's father had once stood. Caligo stood alone.

With her signal, Julian rose, reentered the clearing and stood just to the side of Caligo. He did not look directly at her, for it was clear from the words that she had spoken just before implementing his demise, that the white haired woman had respected the man when he was indeed a man and not monster. Now Julian's mind moved in a curious, dangerous ways. "—just what was it? What in the world drove that man mad?"

Caligo laughed bitterly. "Didn't you hear me the first time? It was a curse. Someone killed that man, then bound his soul with thorny shackles to wander the earth in his former body. In constant agony, the soul wishes only to return to its rightful resting place but cannot - it instead seeks out the ones it was closest to during its time of living in search of peace. Often family, such as wives and children, like what happened here. However, the soul lashes out in anger when it realizes there is no relief from the pain. Then, further driven into madness by the killing of its loved ones, the soul deteriorates into a twisted being capable only of killing."

She sighed softly. "I gave his soul what peace I could - I destroyed the shackles holding his soul here and sent him back to be with his beloved wife." In truth, it was the only thing she could do and yet, she still felt so... guilty about it. Perhaps it was because curses were a part of her power, just as much as Umbra was. It wasn't fair how there were some people like Julian, blessed with Holy powers, while she was trapped, stuck with dark powers that alienated her from the rest of society. Powers that she couldn't get rid of. Powers that she sometimes had no control over. Powers that have caused her more misery than one person should have to bear. And yet she was not even given pity.

No, there was only hatred for those like her, and she had learned to accept that. If she hadn't, then she would have destroyed herself a long time ago. Caligo suddenly found herself pushing tears back. Was it because of Julian, this sudden emotional weakness? It was easy, to think meanly about those who wielded Holy magic when she hadn't known anyone personally. But now all she could feel was a deep, aching numbness. There was nothing she could do about her powers, and there was nothing she could do about people's perceptions of her and her magic. All she could do was live, and do the best she could every day.

It was a lonely life.

Caligo's sharp laughter in response to his question drove Julian to a head-down frown. She had indeed named the man's ailment in a conversation that had only transpired minutes ago. He remembered it, but also knew that it had been the overflow of anxiety that was responsible for his lack of cognitive processing. Getting used to the terrors of Nixis' wilderness, of the dark magics that pervaded its ungoverned fronts was something that would come with time, and much of it. So all the boy could do was nod-along with Caligo's explanation like an ignorant child, for he could boast being nothing-but at this point.

The child in Julian's arms was beginning to shift and groan groggily. Julian did not believe he was anywhere close to being fully awake and aware, but it did, when the motion was felt against his breast, create a tingly spike in the pit of his stomach: what he, as an adult, had witnessed only moments before was a shock to even him—Julian knew he was in no position, knew he hadn't the verbal prowess to explain comfortably the design of this boy's father's demise. Again that would be Caligo's responsibility, and although Julian knew nothing about this was fair to the red-eyed enigma, he could do little beside resign this situation to her. Not because he was selfish, but because he knew himself to be too weak and ignorant to say a thing worth a damn.

On his approach, those heavy, expensive boots mashing up the glass-like leaves that cracked under his heel with every heavy step, Julian spotted the disturbance upon Caligo's face; he stopped-dead. It was not that he found her the type to have eliminated emotions, quite the contrary, it was that he found her the type to have eliminated people's perception of them, to have vanquished their availability. Of course he knew very little about this girl's past, but she did not seem the type to have had the luxury of council, of support, be-it financial, emotional or otherwise; of things Julian could have easily written off as universal amongst all. The young man's body felt cold. The sharp winter winds fell down like scythes through the ruined branches of the winter-withered trees, moved and cut them, brushed and slashed Julian's face, but that was not it; His great fear of the world, of this unexpected journey, froze his blood still, yet that was not it: It was Caligo's face, that brutally sweet mosaic of power, confidence, knowledge—of immeasurable pain, ostracism and heartache: that was what currently chilled Julian.

"It's alright," he said finally. Although he had neither the worldly experience nor emotional repertoire to own those words, the young man's voice ventured serenely, knowingly. "You did a good thing this day, Caligo. It was just fate's cruel design that called for this dark resolution. You know that I know little about the world. . . . but I'm certain you did only what was left to do, for I'm sure if there was something. . . .some. . . incantation that would have put even your life in danger, I'm certain you would've done it to try and spare that man. You did a good thing. . . you did a good thing, Caligo."

For a brief moment, Caligo let Julian's words soothe her pain, but then she turned away sharply from the comfort he offered and felt her eyes begin to water as emotion washed over her. Letting out a strangled gasp of air, she brushed the tears away as fast as they came, not letting her body's shaking alert Julian to her shameful act of weakness. She hated crying. It made her pity herself, another thing she hated. She had no need for pity, especially from herself. So what if she was going to spend her life alone and unwanted? It wasn't like she wasn't used to it.

Finally finished with crying, she wiped her eyes clear and took a deep breath, letting it out as she turned back to Julian and the child he was holding. "Sorry about that." She said, her voice remarkably clear and only wavering slightly as she continued to speak. "I-It's probably better if I wake the kid up now to tell him... To tell him what happened. Umbra should be back soon with a friend of the family, and they'll take in the child." She reached out and laid a hand on the kid's forehead, her fingers brushing his hair softly as she began to mutter a small spell under her breath. Soon she finished and removed her head, smiling gently and sadly at the small child. "He'll wake up soon - let him up when he does. It'll help him control himself."

Caligo didn't look forward to the conversation she was about to have, but she knew better then to expect Julian to do not. Not because he was selfish - in fact he was ridiculously goodhearted. No, he knew he didn't have the knowledge or the experience to speak to the child and explain what happened. Not when she had seen the shock (and maybe horror?) on his face when he had seen what she had done. But perhaps, if she traveled with him to where ever they were going, she would be able to teach him something useful and perhaps, lessen the burden for herself.

Responding to Caligo's apology for tears, for expression, Julian shook his head vigorously several times. His lips framed words but no sound came; perhaps somewhere in the deep well of his sharp mind lay perfect words yet unplumbed, but as it were he hadn't the courage to offer any of them up. This, like every other event of this day, was a new experience. The great genesis, the great venture into every unknown, both conceivable and incomprehensible. Never in his life had he been required to comfort another, not to this degree at least, which left him shaking, shrugging and staring like an empty headed fool. The remorse Julian felt for Caligo was immense, yet without the power to corral, detain and diagnose and express it he felt this wave of feeling was more detriment to the situation than sympathetic appeasement.

Julian watched carefully when Caligo administered the awakening spell. He nodded along to her instruction and took a few steps backwards. The child did indeed begin to wriggle and groan, but as Caligo had said only seconds ago, he was not yet fully conscious, but was certainly well on his way to being so. Julian looked up and asked, "So. . . I. . . suppose you're close to this family? Stupid question, I know, I guess I'm just surprised a little bit. Such a. . . powerful magic user like you must have to move around a lot, so you must have a lot of faith in these people. I hear. . . well, I've heard that there are substantial rewards for information on rogue magic users. . . especially those with talents like yours."

Staring dead-ahead at Caligo, awaiting response, Julian noticed the child's eyes began to quake; he would be awake any moment. Quickly, the young blonde turned to the tree at his aft and sat Caligo's scamp down, rested him easily so that his head was nestled into the bark. Regardless of the fact that he hadn't been awake during the worst of it, the child's sudden awakening, and the burst of questions that were surely to follow, would have proved to be a dangerous combination to Julian were he to be in his arms during.

Caligo crouched down next to the child, her expression heartbreakingly tender as she once more gently brushed the boy's hair off his face, her hand cupping his cheek for a moment before falling away as the boy began to moan and shake as he slowly was pulled from the dark of unconsciousness. "I saves his life, did you know?" She said softly, almost talking to herself more than to Julian. "He had wandered into the woods, and stumbled upon a mother bear along with her cubs. Scared and frightened, he couldn't even run when the mother bear tried to protect her children by destroying what she percieved as a threat. It was only due to luck that Umbra and I were there, and managed to save the young boy from certain death. His parents were sick with worry by the time I managed to bring him home."

The boy shifted slightly and Caligo fell silent, seeing if he was awake or not. When there was no more movement, she continued speaking. "They were a farming family, and been ousted from their home by nobles desiring their land. I found them a place here, and we've been close friends ever since. I've watched this child grow up, and now he will be forced to grow up more than he should, more than any child should have to. And it's my fault!" Although she had been soft spoken before, those last words emerged from her throat as a shout, filled with pain. "It's my fault! A good man was cursed to send me a message, and an innocent boy lost his parents because I didn't stop the curse in time! I should have sensed the magic at work, I should have- I should have done something!"

Her shouting finally waked the child, who stared up at her with sleepy and gentle eyes. "It's okay, Miss Caligo." The boy spoke in a sweet and clear voice, holding out a small hand to her. "It's not your fault. My pa really liked you, and my ma too. I know they wouldn't blame you." The child already seemed to know the fate that had befallen his father, and was now focused upon the woman who had saved him once more. "It's okay, Miss Caligo..."

Julian listened closely as Caligo divulged the origins of the relationship between the boy, his family and she. As he'd earlier speculated, she was indeed a pure-of-heart young woman shrouded in the ugliness of a misconceived power. Certainly the things that were made of her from the ignorant and the biased were not fair. And although the tough girl did not seem the type to let the misconceptions of others bother her, the constant dismissals and oustings most definitely made it a lonely life for the white-haired, red-eyed mage. Julian did sympathize, but did little else beside stare at her intently while his cold body stood apart, straight, unnerved and watchful.

Before he was able to utter something similar, the young boy awoke and gave to Caligo the very words that Julian would have. Of course it was not her fault—feeling guilty over not being able to stymie an unperceivable evil did not make one a contributor to the result. Julian of course understood where Caligo's guilt came from, but he could only hope that in short order she would come to terms with the fact that this situation had been out of her hands from conception. She did what she could to eradicate the remnants of the curse, free the father's soul and comfort the boy—out of those three things, she accomplished them all. Truly, Julian thought, she has no reason to feel guilt.

The young blonde man sauntered over to the pair. For a moment a short, easy smile warmed-up his face, but he figured that regardless of this strong-willed child's acceptance of his family's fate, this was no time for smiles, no matter how simple or harmless. Julian, looking straight at Caligo, nodded in agreement. "Perhaps I'm out of place to say, since I don't know you all very well. . . but from what I've seen in these few brief minutes, the boy is right, Caligo—it's not your fault. Let's focus on what's ahead instead of the pain of the past that will do little more than prick us with continued samples of it. Let's focus on maybe finding the source of this curse. . . and destroying whatever, or whomever placed it."

By the time he'd finished speaking, Julian's entire body had turned away from the pair. Although they could not see his face, they may have decoded his resolve through the willful tone-of-voice he'd assumed while speaking. Never the one to seek vengeance, the toughness in his voice was certainly revolutionary. But if there had been a single thing he'd learned in his short period in the wild it was few out here gave a damn about honor or integrity—no longer was his world a humble village with plastic laws and conduct codes, with large walls and a reclusive populace. No, this was Greater Nixis, a place of great wealth, great magic and great evil. He knew that wasting energy on sniffing out alternatives to punishing the vile was senseless—if a person was capable of destroying a family for the sake of sending Caligo a message, then Julian would feel no remorse in seeing to their death.

Even the pleas of a young child were unable to stop the pain and bitterness from seeping into her heart and soul. Of course it was her fault - every bad thing was the fault of the cursed dark magic users... And she had failed, like she always did, never able to protect the ones close to her... Perhaps she should just live apart from the world... Talk to no one, show herself to no one. Live as a shadow among the trees. Or perhaps she should just kill herself. It was such an uncharacteristic thought that Caligo was actually surprised by it. It wasn't that she had never thought about suicide before - on the contrary, suicide had been a recurring theme in her childhood, something that had never really gone away in her adult life, but had hidden behind the happiness she was finding with the friends she had made. Perhaps...

Her thoughts were interrupted by a long low baying howl off in the distance, and a twitch if her lip signified her attempt at a smile. "Umbra will be here soon, within a few minutes actually, and he's bringing Aunt Cathy with him, scamp." She said to the child, still not fully facing him. She couldn't even look him in the eyes, despite his earlier forgiveness and acceptance of what she did. The child gave a small squeal, probably in excitement about seeing either the aunt or Umbra again. Caligo's prediction proved correct as without any warning, a sleek black wolf slid from the shadows, a young woman wearing red slipping off of his back to run to the child and gather him into her arms. Caligo frowned at the girl, but didn't say anything until the two had separated and the girl stood up, a similar scowl on her face to match Caligo's.

"Lilia, what are you doing here?" Caligo asked, at least trying to be civil. The other girl, Lilia, didn't even bother. "I came to save my little cousin from your evil clutches. I can't even believe I let your horrible creature touch me for so long without being sick." She gave a small delicate shudder to contrast the malicious sneer on her face. "I swear it almost tried to eat me once." Caligo stayed quiet as Lilia continued the assault. "I already heard what happened..." Her tone became more somber, but no less bitter or hard. "They were good people, and it was your black presence that killed them. You caused a good man to kill his wife, and then killed him too, no doubt. I wonder how you can bear to live on this earth knowing that your life will taint innocents. I hope to never see you again." The young girl nodded to punctuate her point before she turned to the child. "Come on, little guy, we need to go home now." However the child was staring at her with shock and pain on his face. He had never heard her speak that way before, and he knew that her words had deeply hurt the red-eyed woman who had saved his life twice over now.

He turned his eyes to Caligo, who offered him a sad smile and knelt down in front of him. She placed a hand on his cheek, leaned forward to give him a small kiss on the forehead, and then spoke. "You'll remember me, right, Scamp?" She was smiling, but the pain in her voice felt like slashing daggers to the young child. He nodded silently, tears starting to well up in his eyes. "No, don't cry. You have to be a good boy, for me, and for your parents. We'll always be watching over you." Caligo soothed, pulling the boy into a tight hug. Her voice almost broke but she managed to keep to it steady. "Now go with your cousin and your aunt, and grow up big and strong, alright?" The child nodded, the tears finally spilling over onto his cheeks. He quickly wiped them away and sniffled, but more came and finally he threw his arms around Caligo one more time.

They parted, Lilia coming forward to grab the boy's hand and stop him as he attempted to get one more hug. The young woman almost dragged him to the edge of the clearing, avoiding the thick shadows where Umbra stood, giving the white-haired woman one last cutting look before disappearing into the woods with the small boy. Caligo stood and watched them, until even her superior night vision was unable to make them out through the trees. Only then was she able to turn away and look at Julian, her eyes remarkably dry. In truth, she was simply numb now, no longer able to release the emotions that filled her. It took a moment, but she was able to speak. "So. I gave you an offer earlier to guide you wherever you needed to go. Tell me your destination and I will get you there as fast as possible. Then I will hunt for the people who did this. Alone." The last word rang with both determination and a bit of loneliness.

So much in so little time—even compared to the pain of being accused of using dark magics for his own nefarious purposes in his home village, compared to variety of dirty looks that ranged from accusatory to feared, the feeling of discomfort he felt the moment this woman, Lilia, showed up and laid into Caligo without remorse far outweighed those ostracizing glares that distanced him from his friends and family back home. Julian had never been an outspoken boy, even when in the prime of his tenure as magister he had been reserved. It was not a matter of diffidence of embarrassment, he just never spoke out of turn without being absolutely certain he had something to add. Unfortunately for Caligo, someone he was very close to calling a friend, young Julian simply did not know enough about the relationship between she and Scamp's family to make a critical assessment.

When Scamp and Caligo said their goodbyes, Julian wandered away. This was not a moment to be diluted by prying eyes. He took refuge under the bare, scrawny branches of the cold-killed tree he had previously sat beneath while awaiting the completion of the cleansing ritual Caligo performed on the young boy's father. He knelt down and idly took a handful of soil: jagged little pebbles, leaves so dry and thin they shattered like glass upon touch and hard, hard dirt. Death was his legacy now, Julian figured. Every incantation he wove breathed the acrid fumes of forbidden rebirth into the formerly deceased. Why not embrace it? Caligo seems to be a good woman unable to outpace the legacy of ugly, misunderstood magic. . . should I live my life like that, or should I give them all a reason to fear? But will that truly make me a villain, I wonder. I wonder.

Umbra took the ill mannered woman and Scamp away; Julian stood and slapped the soot off his palm by clapping his hands together. The numbness Caligo expressed was almost mirrored by Julian. Certainly he had yet to experience the hardships that Caligo had, but he'd be ignorant to think anything-but lay in wait. Sooner or later his ugly abilities were going to course out of him, whether out of necessity or involuntarily, and the minute they did he would be branded a rogue. Julian figured it would be at that moment he would be faced with the choice: rebel and strike back against those that chose hatred over tolerance, run or die.

After Caligo spoke, Julian lifted an amused eyebrow, fixed one hand to his hip and hoisted his chin. "Caligo," he said, his tone severe. "I want to help you first. My journey is. . . well, to be honest, if I were to die in ten days time, I would be more content with your task completed rather than mine. I need to go to the Capital to see my father—that's it. And just what I'll accomplish there is yet to be seen, I really just needed to tell him a few things. I have no direction; I have no goal. It's. . ." Julian's flaunted pose became mild. Eyes lowered, face somber, he continued: "—you and I are not so different. I know you may find my spoiled background mocking, and that I'm nothing more than a privileged boy turning his petty problems into something much bigger than they are, but I. . . I promise. I promise I'm not that person. I've got. . . darkness as well."

"Everyone has darkness, Julian." The solemn words held a note of wisdom and experience. "The only choice you have, is whether to let the darkness consume you, or to fight back against it every day of your life. Magic is just a harder battle than most people have." She laughed bitterly in order to stop from crying. "I don't think you're spoiled, Julian. Someone spoiled wouldn't have been able to last this long around me. You've been sheltered greatly, that much is clear, and you've been well loved. None of those things are bad, in and of itself, but combined with the harsh reality of the world outside your little shelter, it's a recipe for disaster. And that's why I want to look out for you."

The red eyed woman sighed softly and ran a hand through her thick white hair. "Part of it is just my nature. I like to help people and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Sometimes it gets me into trouble, but most of the time it helps me fight that dark battle inside my own soul. But there's another part to this." Here she fixed her eyes on Julian, her gaze sharp. "A more selfish part. The truth of the matter is, you have power. Great power. And if I can help you learn how to survive in this world, help you learn how to use your talents to help others - well then, perhaps all the responsibility wouldn't be on my shoulders. Perhaps I wouldn't be so alone." Her smile transformed into something soft and sad.

"It's selfish, I know. But we're all selfish, in different ways. Some more so than others, but it's there in all of us." Shaking her head as if to clear her thoughts, Caligo took a deep breath. "So. Julian. What I'm trying to say is this. Will you help me track down the person or people that committed this atrocity, and will you let me teach you the ways of the world and magic?"

Despite the obviousness of the notion, with considerations paid to his upbringing in a contained mountain village, Julian could not help but be continually struck by how anomalous, wise and determined Caligo was. Truly he had never met a person like her, and where at first her strange and forward behavior erected within him feelings of doubt and speculation, now, being just minutes removed from a ritual that spared a man continued pain and a heartfelt goodbye to a boy she cared for deeply, Julian could only wonder when he'd felt such strong feelings of trust for a person outside his bloodline. Although much is yet to be seen from their continued partnership, Julian felt very much content in the woman's presence.

Julian crossed his arms and leaned-back into that same big, old, looming tree. With the pad of his left boot stuck into the tread of the bark and his head lowered, the young man listened to every word the woman had to say, nodded his understanding and looked up when the venerable spikes of emotion in her voice seethed through him. With her offer suspended, young Julian, smiling confidently, hoisted his chin. "I would be a fool to decline," said through an audacious grin. "I am a man who was raised to dissect every situation; what power I have was not earned, I am little more than a freak with a gift both parts blessing and curse. When I was a child, I cursed it. When my teachings enlightened my people, I felt blessed. And when—"

The young man's hazel eyes sank. Solemnly: "I could talk about it. . . I can continue to dodge it, or I can simply show you. I am not a person that finds it hard to trust others, it's just that with something of this nature. . . something so filthy as this mutation in my own soul I have to be especially cautious. Although I'm certain little in this world surprises you these days," said Julian dryly as he kicked off the tree and stomped into a languid, objectiveless stroll around the dead, snowy clearing. He examined his hands: "I'll show you why I had to leave my village——or rather, why I was banished."

Julian chose a location away from Caligo safely padded by fifteen yards. Facing her, but not looking at her, the young man knelt and placed both hands on the ground. The snow was loose and powdery. Beneath the icy fluff he felt bone-like sticks, a mix of cool, smooth rocks and flakes of mashed-up leaves. He closed his eyes. His lips moved. A rush of energy swirled up from the ground below him, causing the loose-form fabric of his tunic and coat to crack and rustle and the feathery blades of his blonde hair to rise and sway. Just in front of his pleading hands, a perfect circle of pure red light manifested in the snow. Another burst of energy created a sinkhole within the circle, as if a tiny explosive had been detonated below the terrain. From the circling ground, a paw burst. Next a growl: a horrible groan that rumbled-free from a throat whistled by punched-in and decomposed flesh. All at once Julian's Undying Bear wrestled out of the loose, swirling soil stirred within the summoning circle. While on all-fours it was an imposing beast, not as large as Umbra when the trio had ridden upon him, but an imposing creature none-the-less. His brown fur was glossed and patchy and incomplete. Where its fur and flesh had rotted away, stringy muscles and bone popped through. Above its strong snout, two eyes shined like yellow moons. Twin beams of hot breath continually bolted from its nostrils as it stood, completely unmoved for now.

Julian traversed the creature, his fingertips dragging across its patchy, decomposed body. "—I was once a Holy Summoner—an absolute prodigy in the eyes of my people. One day," he said in sigh, his shoulders rising, "it all changed. I don't know how, and I certainly don't know why, but now my mutated soul summons only the undead." A dead-glare was volleyed to Caligo. "Necromancy: the most heinous practice in all of Magic. A practice punishable by death."

Caligo knew the instant that Julian dropped his eyes from her gaze. She knew, and watched with solemn eyes as he called up something which could truthfully no longer be called a bear. The creature - no, the thing, for it was no longer living, did not breathe. It did not move, it did not blink. She walked forward, no fear in her eyes and heart, despite what was being shown to her. One hand reached out to settle upon the thing's head, the other gently touching Julain's chest. "There are truly evil things in this world. Binding a soul to walk the earth after it's time had passed is something evil. This creature, this thing, has no soul. Despite how horrible this seems to us, you must understand. Necromancy is not inherently evil. You are not evil, Julian." She gave him a small smile.

"Drawing decomposed flesh from the earth and binding it to your service is... distasteful, to be sure. But it is not evil, Julian. If you were to bind the bear's soul to endure in this sac of flesh, then it would be evil, for this bear would undergo agony unbelievable to us. But this thing, is empty. It is empty of the thing that makes us who we are - our soul. And for that reason, I cannot have fear of you, or hatred." Then she managed to laugh. "Not to mention this isn't your fault at all. Your choice of words earlier, 'mutated', is rather apt, though lacking in a sense. Someone, far more evil than you or I, has caused this change within you." Caligo hated the fact that she had such knowledge at all, but she had to admit it came in handy during times like these. "It is a curse, a powerful one. Something so heinous could only have been powered by a human death."

Removing her hand from the bear-like thing and suppressing the urge to wipe her hand on her clothes, Caligo used the hand still touching Julian to lightly shove him out of the circle still etched in red on the earth. Raising her hand into the air, she sketched out a shape that looked rather like a trident and spoke, in a clear voice, "Minä käsken sinua kadota." The decomposed flesh in front of her let out another rumbling groan that quickly rose to the volume of a shout before the earth within the circle began to writhe like the sea during a tempest. The carcass of the bear slowly began to sink, the last thing to disappear being the unholy glowing yellow eyes.

Letting out a sigh as the energy needed for the spell drained from her body, Caligo closed her eyes for a moment as she mentally regathered herself. "I thank you for showing this to me of your own volition." She said quietly to Julian, favoring him with another small smile. "That was very brave of you, and now I understand you a bit better, perhaps. However, it is the deep night now, and it would be better to wait for the day to come before coming up with a plan of attack to serve both of our goals. I offer my room at the inn for you to share, since I doubt that you have a place to stay tonight."

As was uniform up to this point, in the wake of Caligo's impressive display of magic, this time a quick dispel of his grotesque Bearkin, Julian was completely taken back. At such an age she was an inspiringly adept mage, and it sparked in the boy, for perhaps the first time, a desire to improve his craft. Before it was all business, all ceremony, all rotten repetition and blessing: Caligo's applications were wondrously practical. Impressive of course, but, and most importantly of all to the even headed boy, her castings, her talents bore weight, bore balance: she was a wielder that bore the exquisitely rare ability of insight, something most likely born out of a monogamy of suffering and talent. She was something certainly to be feared by the stuffy barons of the Capital, for she was a pioneer: She was a revolutionary.

Julian composed himself and nodded, accepting the young woman's offer of lodging. The idea of spending the night in her room made his stomach whorl, but he wouldn't allow his mind to venture too deeply into the proposition, for it was an earnest one, not a dirty one; he knew better than to sully it with his buried teenage insight. "I thank you, Caligo. And of course accept. I have some coin on me, some trinkets in this monstrosity of a coat my mother gave to me to sell should I encounter financial difficulties. But on our continued travels I think it wise to conserve what coin we have, so the next room shall be on me."

For a time they walked in silence. Julian figured Caligo to be a woman minus the enraging quality of worthless rambling, and for that he was extremely thankful, as he was not much of a talker himself. However, although he was quite certain the young woman had told him everything she knew on the potential curse on his head, he couldn't flush the urge to follow-up on it.

"So. . . . . this is a blood curse of some kind, you think? One that actually required a sacrifice of flesh, and human at that? I'm familiar with minor hexes, those that require mammal blood, and, from what I understand as the most popular, serpent blood—but an actual human sacrifice? I. . . I couldn't possibly have an enemy that would go to such lengths to turn me into an abomination. . . I. . ." Bewildered, the young man upset his eyes with a flurry of blinks before shaking his head vigorously. "It just makes so little sense. . ."

Caligo shook her head slowly. "Don't be foolish." The words were gentled by her soft tone. "You have enemies simply by existing. A Holy Summoner, a Holy Conjurer... You have to understand simply how rare that talent is. By the very nature of your powers, Noy only are you a threat to all those of my persuasion," she meant those of the dark powers, of course, "- but you are also a threat to anyone who's is less powerful than you." She shook her head again, knowing Julian did not yet understand. "I'm talking about the government, Julian." She said in a soft voice.

"Upon what does our government's structure rest on?" She asnwwred her own rhetorical question. "Magic, of course. And what determines your position in the government? Why, your magic does. Do you see, then, how your powers can be a threat to others simply by existing? Anyone weaker than you in the government (a lot of people, to be sure) are suddenly placed in peril at the thought of losing their jobs or being demoted due to your abilities. It would be in their best interest to make sure that you were driven out of society as you were."

She knew that the vision she was painting was grim - a vast government conspiracy, that could extend who knows how far up the system. Caligo was corrupting the ideal of a pure government - but Julian did not have time for ideals. He ran out of time the moment that the curse was laid upon him, and now every second that he breathed was a blessing, for she knew that whoever ha dplaces the curse upon him could just as easily kill without a trace.

"As for the curse itself, it isn't exactly a blood curse. It is powered by a human sacrifice, but not because of the bloodshed. Perhaps it is more accurate to say - a soul sacrifice. Human souls are preferable for such works, as they are stronger than animals in the ways of magic. It is also easier to corrupt a soul with the energy of a soul behind your magic. This is why I am repelled by the very idea of such a thing. It is blasphemy." She explained calmly, a shudder of distaste running through her at the very thought of it. It meant that whoever had laid the curse upon Julian was no stranger to such works, and was not afraid to get their hands dirty.

"Now, enough of that. Shall we talk about sleeping arrangements?" Caligo asked with a small wink.

Julian's body was cold with shock. For the young man, words on the dastardly methods of the ruling Magisters of the Capital had been taken with a grain of salt, had been taken as little more than the common prattling of elders that could not, and would never be satisfied with their policies and decrees. Although he had never been one to turn his ear away from the croaky, diluted wisdom of his superiors, being a young boy seemingly apart from stuffy policy, he'd rarely been attentive. Which was why Caligo's hypothesis could hardly be stomached. To destroy another's life, and especially his, for the security of seat was absurd. The common devils, the thieves and murderers, were made mundane in an instant within Julian. They were empty-headed, what they did was on impulse and done blindly and without plan for either personal gain or to satiate urges most primal. To suggest that a politician, a man of power, a man of knowledge and one most certainly a graduate of The University, would partake in a calculated act rendered it thrice as heinous. A common criminal knows not what he does; an intelligent man of evil studies the horrors of the past and chooses to ignore them; chooses to contribute to them.

But Caligo's wink was a gesture needed to lighten the mood. Willing to vanquish the malaise of superstitious fear of that which neither of them could possibly identify just yet, Julian smiled, but there was a fairly clear bar of rose radiating on his cheeks. He turned away. "Well. . . I. . . I was prepared to face the inevitability of sleeping outdoors at some point, so I wouldn't mind sleeping on the floor. It is your room after all, I most certainly could not request a spot on the bed."

Caligo smirked lightly, her amusement plain as she glanced over to see Julian blushing, a small chuckle falling from her lips. "Why, Julian, surely you can't expect me to let you languish upon the floor! You are my guest, you deserve the bed." She raised a hand before he could protest, fixing him with a sideways devilish glance that portrayed her mischievous mood. "It would be a blight upon my honor if you were to sleep on the floor, Julian, and I know that you wouldn't want that... Would you?"

Her grin grew wider as she kept up her merciless teasing. "Of course, that would leave me with the floor. Unless..." She slid closer to him, leaning in to whisper in his ear. "Unless we share the bed tonight..." She stayed there for a lingering moment before abruptly pulling away. "Well then, I'm glad that's settled!" She said in an overly bright, cheery voice. "We'll be sharing the bed. And look, there's the inn!" True to her word, the lights of the small roadside inn were now shining through the branches, the pair having walked back at the faster pace then they had walked there.

Several times Julian attempted to interject, attempted to raise up his voice and exclaim, 'No, of course I wouldn't purposely wound your pride, sully your honor, but. . .'---no words ever came, only replies of wide-eyes, innocently enamored, and quick head-bobs were offered. Then the venomous hiss, that sneaky whisper that wriggled into his ear like a playful serpent. 'Unless we share the bed,' it said before slithering into his brain and biting down on the prudent nerve that governed all sense of reason and reservedness. Julian was a proper boy with proper expectations. But properness was cumbersome in the wild, and most likey an absurd notion in the eyes of one such as Caligo. He of course could not simply assume that her words were more than playful musings, but if they were not. . .

The soft tavern light split through the thicket: Julian was wedged in a quagmire of relief and terror. Whirling together, the queer monogamy sucked him into anxiousness as if quicksand. "Yes. . . 'tis there. We made good time." His voice was chirpy, was happy; if he felt fear, it was not evident on his voice. The pair ventured down an embankment lightly dusted by frost and snow, reached the path that twisted towards the tavern and continued on just as briskly as before.

Julian looked over at Caligo. His smile was sharp and confidently proportioned, but even in the dense darkness one would not miss the rose of his cheeks that came-not from exposure to the cold. "Well if you insist, I will not childishly object. We are both intelligent adults, so I don't see any point in blowing something so simple out of proportion." Julian nodded, but that psuedoconfidence had ran-away from his voice. "So I accept. . . it'll be. . .I'll be honored, to uhm. I'll—"

A deep breath was taken to eradicate the fumbled phrases. The great font of air he'd ingested was spat-out via a heavily relished sigh, followed by a smirk and a brisk head-shake. "I'll just shut up now. Clearly whomever placed this curse on me is a fool, for I have-not a silver tongue: I would have made a terrible politician."

Caligo smirked, her attempt at teasing the sheltered boy working out better than she had hoped. He had agreed to sleep beside her without much resistance; she was already beginning to corrupt him. How wonderful. Soon, he would be the one teasing her, and she was looking forward to the prospect to being around someone long enough for them to know how to tease her. She rarely stayed in one place for more than a year, and trusted others very much. She had good reasons for her caution, of course, but it still made for a rather lonely life without anyone to call her friends. Perhaps that was about to change...

After all, Julian had sworn to help her find the person who had cursed the father of her Scamp, and in return she had promised to find the person who had cursed his magic, and do her best to restore it. Throughout all of that, they would have to spend a lot of time together. And since money was tight, it was highly probable that meant one room for them both at whatever inn they happened to stay at. Oh, all the delightful possibilities she had now, knowing that for once, she could let down her many walls and finally enjoy herself with someone else, and not just for one night. He might take some convincing... But she had time.

"Let's eat, and then head upstairs." She said, shooting a grin at the man beside her, leading him to an empty table towards the back of the room. She took the seat that placed her back to the wall and gave her clear sight of both doors in the room, but didn't mention her reasons for the specific seating choice to her partner. There was plenty of time to teach him these things as they investigated, there was no rush now. Raising a hand to flag one of the waiters or waitresses, she turned to inspect her companion. "So, Julian, what is it you wish to eat? They have most of the basics here."

The excitement of a proposed partnership was not a joy exclusive to Caligo. Had Julian been asked to confront the possibility of going on his journey alone, the generally realistically minded young man would have put his odds at nearly one-hundred percent. For even as a child, and even when he was the village's most noted citizen, making friends had not come easy. He was not bellicose or intolerable, he was simply receded. However, despite the calm brought to his heart with the understanding that Caligo would be with him in these early stages of the journey, Julian held reservations, reservations spawned in the darkest, albeit most logical, regions of his mind. It was against his nature to trust someone so completely so quickly, especially with his given gifts and the tales of terror and craftiness employed by the Empire's mage hunters. Although the prospect of Caligo being such was absurd, those old, sick feelings of doubt plagued him still. But after seeing what he saw this day, his doubt was cast more over his doubts than Caligo herself. For this quest would be quick to end in flames and death without a level of trust; without a companion. For Caligo's aid, Julian was extremely thankful.

The young man marched indoors in Caligo's stead. sat opposite of her, as was a common formality, but in doing so put his back to both entrances, for clearly he had not been yet trained for a life of being hunted. As Caligo may be postulating, that would be something certainly to come in time. When Caligo asked what he craved, the boy could only shrug. Being put on the spot made him anxious. "Oh, uhm——I'm not really hungry. . . But, I did see a fair share of deer in the woods while we were out. Perhaps a venison steak? It was a favorite of mine back home. We could share if you like, for I'm unsure if I could finish a whole myself." Julian nodded once. Then a charming brightness sparkled in his eyes. "Oh! And we should get some wine or mead; I could definitely use something to take the edge off. Believe it or not today held more excitement than I've experienced in my life thus far. I think my hands just stopped shaking, and it wasn't the cold rattling them, I assure you."

Caligo couldn't help but respond to the sparkling brightness that filled his eyes and flushed his cheeks and made her own body respond in ways it hadn't since- She took a deep breath and managed to respond. "Mead sounds wonderful, as does a steak. I have it on good authority that the meat served here is delicious, and the alcohol as well, though the mead seems to be better praised than the wine. Then again, we aren't the most civilized bunch out here in the mountains, pretty boy, and your tastes might differ from ours." She flashed him a sharp smile before turning to the waiter that had finally responded to her signals. "Two steaks, two pints of mead, and one wine bottle." She ordered, her attention focused on Julian even as she gave the young waiter a smile that ensured their food would arrive quickly.

Once the boy had left, she once more fully turned her attention onto Julian, her red eyes focused sharply upon his. "I hope you don't mind my ordering for us, you see the people here know me and would respond better to my words. They aren't too fond of outsiders here." She cocked her head to the side and smiled, a slow predatory smile that gave the impression of a large cat about to strike. "Oh, but I'm rather fond of outsiders myself. They tend to not know of me, which makes my interaction with them much simpler. Tell me, Julian, are you fond of outsiders? Or do you prefer a more... familiar and intimate approach?" The pretty boy sitting across from her had to understand the implications beneath her words. If he didn't, perhaps he was even more of an innocent than she had originally planned for. That would change some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.