Waking Dreams

He blushes and backs away from the girl. "NO! Shut up! Girls don't say that! I don't think that either!" Nick hears people talk about him sometimes, but since he can never actually hear the words they say, he shrugs it off like it's nothing. Maybe he does subconsciously think they're talking about him like that... "Ugh! Stop talking!" He turns around and storms off, escaping the situation.

It's always easiest to just run from situations like these. Being bad mouthed by your own subconscious, that is. The nerve of himself.

Oh, this was too much fun. Alyssa chased after Nick with a grin and danced around next to him, easily keeping pace. Hm, so he had self confidence issues and didn't find himself attractive. Well, that was a shame, because he actually was rather cute. She nearly blushed at the thought but managed to control herself, focusing on him instead. What could she taunt him about next.

"Why were you nice to me earlier?" she asked, surprising herself and inwardly cursing. Oh, shit. That wasn't something a subconscious would say, was it?

He turns to look at her and furrows his brows. "I wasn't being nice to you. I was treating you like everyone else." He turns back and quickens his pace. That was an odd thing for his subconscious to say. Was he subconsciously being nice to the girl his subconscious projected?

He shakes his head and rubs his temples. All this subconscious talk is getting him confused. He looks up to the sky to see where the sun is, hoping he'd be able to tell what time it was from it. He wants to wake up, but he knows that if he wakes up in the middle of the night that he'd never be able to go back to sleep. He frowns, the thought of escaping his subconscious being drowned out by the impossibility of the thought itself. He groans to himself and turns the corner, escaping into a small cafe.

He looks to the counter and talks to himself. "So even stuff like this is possible? I wonder if I can taste anything..." He walks up and speaks to the man at the counter, who has a western cowboy accent.

"Good evenin'. What'll it be t'day?" He asks, wiping a glass with a rag behind the counter. Nick chuckles. It looks like a stereotypical wild west bar scene. He orders a bagel and fishes out his wallet to pay. It's completely empty.

"...Ahaha.... Can you put it on my tab?" Nick smiles to the man. He frowns and writes something down before handing him the bagel.

Alyssa paused and was going to chase after him when something else caught her attention. Turning a bit, she saw the sky darkening rapidly in the horizon. Oh no. She turned and chased rapidly after Nick, bursting into the cafe that he had chosen. Grabbing the back of his stool, she spun him around to face her and frowned.

"I know that you don't believe me right now, Nick, but you have to get out of here. Now. You need to wake up," she said urgently, frowning at him anxiously.

Nick jumps at having been spun around to quickly and frowns into his bagel. "What? No way. I wont be able to fall back asleep. Besides, I don't even know how. Because I'm so stupid, remember?" He turns back around in his stool.

'You have to wake up' his ass. Nick just wanted to finally enjoy being able to lucid dream, even if he isn't able to fly or do any of that other stuff. Nightmares can shove off. Nick has been fighting off monsters in his dreams for a while now. He expected one to come, and his subconscious is probably just playing along with it.

"But.." she tried to protest. He wasn't listening, he just turned around and ignored her desperate warnings. Fine. If he wasn't going to listen, then she wasn't going to be responsible for the consequences. Sighing, she shook her head and ran out of the cafe. She reached for the motorcycle that was waiting, but the storm hit before she made contact. Blackness took over the entire world and it all vanished, tortured screams filling the air. She fell to her knees helplessly and covered her face with her hands, not looking up as the scene all changed to the stark interior of some sort of institution.

The lights go off as Nick bites into his bagel, and his teeth clatter together. Hard. Biting into his lip, he looks around. The cafe was empty, and screams could be heard from pretty much every direction, even through the stone walls. There was thundering and heavy wind sounds outside, but the sky didn't flash with lightning. It was just dark. All black for as far as any eye can see. The space around him was changing, and a helpless feeling started rising from the bottom of his stomach. He stepped outside and looked for his subconscious lady, who was huddled into a ball on the street.

After everything calmed, Alyssa looked up slowly and saw that Nick was standing there in the hallway with her. Stupid, stupid boy. He was still here, he hadn't woken up. She frowned and looked away from him. There was nothing she could do now. The click-clack of high heels announced the approach of somebody knew and she gasped, scrambling to her feet. She didn't bother grabbing Nick because she knew that he wouldn't listen. Instead, she just dove into an empty exam room and hoped that the woman would go back without finding her.. for once.

(Sorry I haven't been able to post at all lately. I had to visit some family, then got a job and am currently going through training. I don't know when I'll have time to post frequently, or if I should even bother, but I'll try and make some time in the near future.)