1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, GrimDark, ModFan, Horror, Historical, D&D, Lovecraft

tumblr_obi1iqjKC31vpl82uo1_1280.jpg
W I T C H ᛡ H U N T
‘You are blood and to blood you shall return.’
  • W E L ᛡ C O M E
    Welcome to the world of Donegal! Donegal is an island of rich history, complicated magic, demons, angels, and complex politics. In Donegal, your character will have the opportunity to change their fate, by gathering allies, helping others, and getting revenge. Survival will be your character's first priority, but tests of morality, quick thinking, and political savviness will no doubt come into play.

You begin with absolutely nothing, being led in cold-iron chains to their final destination; the Fortress of Lacus Arce in the center of Lodain. There, you will be tried by a panel of All-Speakers - religious leaders - and no doubt found guilty of heresy. You must escape - whether you were falsely accused, or you are actually as wicked as your accusers made you out to be.. And when you do, all of Donegal is open to you. However, as a fugitive from the Faith - you will be hunted. Be careful! Donegal is a dangerous place, and you will face brigands and outlaws, cultists and mages, and crazed witch hunters alike. WITCH HUNT is a game of high stakes, dark themes, and grey morality.

[tab=xxx]W I T C H ᛡ H U N T

tumblr_objwl1PIiS1vpl82uo1_1280.jpg
T H E ᛡ R E L I G I O N
‘I shall behold Heaven, but Heaven is not near. ’
  • T H E ᛡ C O N F L I C T
    The central conflict of Witch Hunt is the relationship between the New Faith - the Church of All - and the Old Faiths - Druids, and Namers. the Although the situation has been tense since the Church of All's founding, it was only after the Lodainic Imperatrix Regina Deorum converted to the Church of All that the cofnlict started in earnest. Regina Deorum issued a demand that the people of Lodain - and indeed, all of Donegal - find guidance in the one true religion: The Worship of the Gods that are Many. Since her conversion, many have adopted the Church of All - including the current Imperatrix, Laurentia II. However, there is still opposition to the Church of All within Donegal. The mages in particular have taken a stance against the Church, as much of the Church's tenets demonize all forms of magic, from the widely accepted Pact Magic to the more infamous Spirit and Blood Magic. The Church of All's conflict with the traditional religions is not simply religious, but also political, regional, and cultural, and many have been caught in its wake...

[tab=xxx] A L L ᛡ F A I T H

tumblr_objx91Toqx1vpl82uo1_540.jpg
T H E ᛡ C H A N G E
‘Ní mar a shíltear a bhítear.’
  • T H E ᛡ R I T U A L
    Little is known about the Change that is used largely by the Church of All. it is an alchemical ritual with no true magic behind it, and it both psychological and physical in what is done to the subject. No matter the type, all Changed People, when they enter the Duinnoban to dream, can see the region with perfect clarity, and see Spirits for what they really are. Thus, they are ignored by Spirits utterly and are not subject to their influence. For this reason, none of them can perform any kind of magic. Both rituals were performed unofficially prior to the institution of the Church of All, without the religious overtones. These men and women are referred to as "Recreants", and All-Swords hunt them above all else, although there is great desire to bring them into the fold of the Church. There are two types of Change; The Change of Preservation, and The Change of Domination. The Change of Preservation is performed on Seekers of Ecclesiastes and The Change of Domination is the ritual preformed on all All-Swords.

[tab=xxx]A L L ᛡ S E E K E R S

• A L L ᛡ S W O R D S
    All-Swords exist in order to enforce the will of the Church, through force. They are usually orphans who were given to the church. and they have all undergone the Change, a mystery to even those within the church. The Change universally turned their eyes orange, and gave them skills necessary for hunting heretics and demons alike. There are currently five of them, one of each of the regions completely converted to the Church of All (Tir-Caredyr, Eboryr, Brigant, Eir-Vaygyr, and Lodain.) All of them are gifted at languages, and represent their nation with exceptional patriotism. They only answer to the All-Voice himself, and do not have to follow the usual rules and stipulations of the church.
    They are led by a Changed warrior named Salathiel, who reportedly is the only man in the world who has done battle with one of the Prime Evils. He is also called Salathiel the Wielder. Every Wielder had been named Salathiel; they gave up their name when the became the Wielder, taking the name of the first Wielder.. It was said that they had all wielded the sword of an angel; who had come down to the world of men to bestow this sword upon the first Wielder, Salathiel, in the Year 1.He deals with the day to day affairs of the All-Swords and provides guidance morally, spiritually, and often physically through their Change. 

The Change of Domination is the ritual preformed on all All-Swords. The major components consist of bloodletting and indoctrination, as the memories of the All-Sword's life prior to their position within the church are wiped away, as well as memories of their family. Their faces are scarred by the Pain-Tasters. They are given some strange herbs and potions to eat and drink for the space of a year while subject to indoctrination and heavy religious education from the Church of All. It is known to be a very painful ritual..
    The results are not uniform, but some characteristics that are always the same include the change in eyecolour - all All-Swords have orange eyes. Their eyes are also primed for night vision, as a thin, mirror-like structure at the back of their eye helps reflect light that was not already absorbed by the eye back into the eye a second time. When lights are shown on the All-Swords in dim light, their eyes will reflect the light so brightly that it looks like they are glowing. As well, their metabolism speeds up, and their sex-drive also increases. Perhaps as a result of their hyper-metabolism, those who undergo the Change of Domination have a greatly shortened life-span, only 40-50 years long. Although they do not show their age for most of their lives, the last five years of a Changed person's life involve their age rapidly catching up with them, leaving them decrepit and frail.Other possible effects are heightened senses, particularly the sense of smell, changes in hair color (usually a lightening), and resistance to the elements and harsh weather. Provided that they can keep up with the demands of their metabolisms, many Changed people find themselves no longer tiring, while still requiring sleep. Some side effects from a bad reaction to the Change are a permanent catabolic state, or the opposite, an anaerobic imbalance, with all of the side effects that entails.
    All-Swords take a new Surname when they take their vows. It is dependent on their region. Tir-Caredyry All-Swords take the name Jacob, Eboryr take Isiah, Brigant take the name Sarah, Eir-Vaygyr take Rebecca, and Lodainic All-Swords take the name Ezekiel. All-Swords have some residual memories of their childhoods, but they are confused with the memories of the legendary character who they have taken their surnames from. Their personalities are intact as well, but they have been largely indoctrinated to be loyal to the Church -- no matter the cost of human life. They will do anything to protect hte church's interests, but that can manifest in very different ways. They're a bit like pointing a bomb at an archery target - they tend to inflict collateral damage. Also, every 7 years, they enact a grim policy called "The Cleansing". Nobody knows what this is for - but it leaves behind hollowed-out corpses and burning villages...There is only one All-Sword per region, and they often wear masks
    All All-Swords were buried - if there were remains to bury - within the crypt in Tir Caredyr's grand temple - tombs that were specially carved and designed for each of them. Construction of the tomb began when they were appointed, and ended when they died. . No All-Sword had ever died of old age, not a single one. There were always boys and girls training to be All-Swords, boys and girls who would replace them when their time was finally up.

• T H E ᛡ P A I N
    Most Pain Tasters simply sold their trade on the streets of Tir Caredyr - they had a talent for inflicting utter unbearable pain upon a person, but a pain that was not lethal, and holy above all things. It was the pain of the Gods Who Are Many that the Pain Tasters gave, and a pain that would render even the most twisted of individuals pure. Though most saw the Pain-Taster's as nothing but leeches trying to make a profit from the church - they were an integral part of the church's structure and always filled the coffers. More importantly; Pain-Tasters perform the Change on All-Swords and All-Seekers. It is unknown how most Recreants came into being, and most do not survive long enough to say; but some whisper that every single Pain-Tasters used to be heathens -- and some still are.
    They wear a black ironwood mask , but painted with white ; making it resemble a skull.

Last edited:
Ah ok, cause no way you were about to melt some iron with a camp fire, and not sure what but *shrug* in the current situation being desperate seems like the only thing you could do lol
Yeah I'm honestly not expecting this to really do anything since Lloyl is thinking by himself here, he just refuses to sit around and no nothing so he feels like he should try anything XD

@Wizzy The Wizard asked me some useful questions in PM, so I thought I'd post the answers here.

Wizzy The Wizard said:
So is there possibly going to be some kind of event that will help them escape? or is are we trying to escape at this very moment with the information given?

Right now, you should be spending your time talking to one another, and trying to figure out what your talents are; take this time to work out your characters strengths and problem solving skills.

Wizzy The Wizard said:
Also can you give me another explanation as to how words and stuff work for spirit magic? Once he hears one could he potentially use it himself or does he actually need to have some amount of information and training before doing so.

For example if he comprehended and listened to what Lloyl did, which is
1) Say the word
2) See the effect
3) Potential outcome

Ronan could use the word himself?

Here's the thing about True Names;

True Names encompass all the world, magic, and Duinnoban. Everything that ever was, and presumably everything that ever will be has a truename.

You need to study and analyze the etymology of the True Name in order to speak it. It's not just knowing the word, although that's certainly an important step. Its also knowing the correct way to say it, the right ritual elements to pair it with (in order to strengthen it) and knowing that the spirit of the Name won't rebel against you. You need to master the word, and most of this is in the pronunciation.

Hypothetically, you could speak the true-name, but something bad might happen.
Wizzy The Wizard said:
Another thing.

Could the spirit guide the user on what specific things are what? Like an NPC, like he could explain to Ronan what words are for example?
Not with regards to magic. The spirit only knows its own True Name, and maybe one or two closely related True Names. However, the spirit could explain certain concepts and terms to Ronan - or historical things that Ronan may not know; depending on the Spirit's own
personal know how.

Wizzy The Wizard said:
Could a user hurting himself potentially trigger the spirit to go on defense mode, or is that only if a foreign threat is going after him? Cause technically if the user hurts himself it would be a threat to the spirit?
Although it might have negative ramifications, self-harm in Donegal often increases the power of magic.

• Useful
Reactions: DustBunny
Although it might have negative ramifications, self-harm in Donegal often increases the power of magic.
So does this mean that while Lloyl attempts to head the metal, since he will also be burning himself that the he will be able to increase the temperature of the fire even moreso? Did I understand that right?

If so, I mean, sure he'd lose the use of his hands but the iron would get heated quite exponentially and, if I know as much about some types of metal as I think I do (which I could honestly be wrong) my plan would end up working!

So does this mean that while Lloyl attempts to head the metal, since he will also be burning himself that the he will be able to increase the temperature of the fire even moreso? Did I understand that right?

If so, I mean, sure he'd lose the use of his hands but the iron would get heated quite exponentially and, if I know as much about some types of metal as I think I do (which I could honestly be wrong) my plan would end up working!

Potentially. But as @Wizzy The Wizard said, heating Iron is very, very difficult. It might cost him his hands. But the slightly leaning on blood magic could result in increased results... :) Give the others some time to post, and then, determine how you want to play it in your post. Big magic has big consequences!

Potentially. But as @Wizzy The Wizard said, heating Iron is very, very difficult. It might cost him his hands. But the slightly leaning on blood magic could result in increased results... :) Give the others some time to post, and then, determine how you want to play it in your post. Big magic has big consequences!

Actually, he said it was hard to MELT and that's not what I'm going for here, as heating a metal is as simple as applying heat to it~. But! Before I delve too much into things I'll just leave it how it is and wait for everyone else to post~

Reactions: Sir Basil
However, the spirit could explain certain concepts and terms to Ronan - or historical things that Ronan may not know
Can you give me an example of this, I dont think im quite grasping that concept yet. And it's also kind of dangerously vague.

Uh I would refrain from doing so, typical flame temperatures don't even go that hot. He would also lose most of his arms from the heal and possibly burn the surface of his skin, it'd quite literally be him setting himself on fire earlier. Typical Flames go up to 1,100 Fahrenheit and with this sudden boost you could just bring harm to those around you, of course I don't know what degree of power the heating is but in reality, it's a pretty dumb idea. You'll lose both your arms and then what? Get captured again by the three Seekers? Also it would require a lot of beating down to get the iron to yield, and in a circular for I think it would just dent in ward and just fucking make his hand fall off lmao.

I highly suggest you don't do the thing. There's really no plan afterwards, you're kind of caged in from all sides and if running would be an option, who would be able to run in that intense pain, it would definitely cause shock. Incinerating your nerves sounds pretty rough, you seen that movie about the guy who chopped off his arm when his arm got stuck between a wall and a boulder? 127 hours was the name, basically he cuts through his nerves with a dull knife, he could do that because of the sheer amount of will to live and all the excruciating hours he had spent down there in the heat. Those kinds of situations would be where a human's will power, or lack of would show.

Okay way too long of a post, ANYWAYS

Don't burn your hands dude.

Actually, he said it was hard to MELT and that's not what I'm going for here, as heating a metal is as simple as applying heat to it~. But! Before I delve too much into things I'll just leave it how it is and wait for everyone else to post~
If you mean just heating it, I mean what next? He'd have to consistently keep the heat on it and he would still incinerate through his skin. You also have veins pretty close to the surface of your skin on your wrists, which could lead to a pretty bad time. He can't really get close to anyone important to just beat them in the face with the heat, he'd still be in chains and even more hurt.
Not trying to be rude but it's just not a good idea.

Can you give me an example of this, I dont think im quite grasping that concept yet. And it's also kind of dangerously vague.
Let's assume that his spirit is a spirit of fire, because fire's a nice baseline. It's possible that the spirit could inform him about how much power would be needed to melt things, or of nearby burned locations. It's not particularly useful information, but its what the spirit knows. On the other hand, spirits are old; and may be able to communicate details about the world before the Church of All ; which generally comes down to translations of the Old Speech / the language of the Duinnoban. The knowledge spirits can provide is honestly not particularly useful in most situations -- but its situational.

I hope that's clearer?

If you mean just heating it, I mean what next? He'd have to consistently keep the heat on it and he would still incinerate through his skin. You also have veins pretty close to the surface of your skin on your wrists, which could lead to a pretty bad time. He can't really get close to anyone important to just beat them in the face with the heat, he'd still be in chains and even more hurt.
Not trying to be rude but it's just not a good idea.

(I'll just say I'm sorry in advance if I sound like a douche as I get told that often when explaining myself)

Firstly, I wasn't going to make him incinerate his hands or his arms or anyone else; I'm not stupid. And you're not understanding my plan either, as you're taking it to much more extreme levels than I had anticipated. It's not like I was planning on taking the heat to hundreds of degrees, as previously stated, I'm not stupid.

My plan was actually quite simple: heat the metal as much as possible without bringing (too much) harm to myself and then remove it from the heat, and attempt to break the chain.

Metal, as almost all solid objects will do, cools faster on the outside on the inside. As it doesn't take too terribly much more heat than the natural tolerance of the human body's of about 120 degrees (depending on the length of exposure) before one suffers burns, metal can easily be breakable (although obviously easier with incressed temperatures) because of the dried, brittle pressure of the metal compressing against the still warm center.

Now obviously my character doesn't know this as he's not an anatomy or chemistry genius, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that heat makes metal workable, which can be seen by anyone at any forge anywhere that I'm assuming is in this RP.

Why do smithies shove their completed project into a bucket of water? To make sure the metal of the blade cools all at once so that it retains its shape and solidity from being used right after forging. That's not hard to figure out. I mean, why else would a smithy hammer the metal into shape while it was still red hot? Because it's workable.

And now, as I've said multiple times, I don't expect this to work. It was an idea of a helpless prisoner who wants to get out of this mess ASAP, as no one else seems to be too anxious to try things to get them free.

I'm not going to apologize for how unclear my methods were as I didn't feel the need to explain myself until I tried more things, but obviously it was needed. But, again, I'll apologize if I sound like a dick.

If I'm still unclear I'll be more than happy to continue elaborating.

(I'll just say I'm sorry in advance if I sound like a douche as I get told that often when explaining myself)

Firstly, I wasn't going to make him incinerate his hands or his arms or anyone else; I'm not stupid. And you're not understanding my plan either, as you're taking it to much more extreme levels than I had anticipated. It's not like I was planning on taking the heat to hundreds of degrees, as previously stated, I'm not stupid.

My plan was actually quite simple: heat the metal as much as possible without bringing (too much) harm to myself and then remove it from the heat, and attempt to break the chain.

Metal, as almost all solid objects will do, cools faster on the outside on the inside. As it doesn't take too terribly much more heat than the natural tolerance of the human body's of about 120 degrees (depending on the length of exposure) before one suffers burns, metal can easily be breakable (although obviously easier with incressed temperatures) because of the dried, brittle pressure of the metal compressing against the still warm center.

Now obviously my character doesn't know this as he's not an anatomy or chemistry genius, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that heat makes metal workable, which can be seen by anyone at any forge anywhere that I'm assuming is in this RP.

Why do smithies shove their completed project into a bucket of water? To make sure the metal of the blade cools all at once so that it retains its shape and solidity from being used right after forging. That's not hard to figure out. I mean, why else would a smithy hammer the metal into shape while it was still red hot? Because it's workable.

And now, as I've said multiple times, I don't expect this to work. It was an idea of a helpless prisoner who wants to get out of this mess ASAP, as no one else seems to be too anxious to try things to get them free.

I'm not going to apologize for how unclear my methods were as I didn't feel the need to explain myself until I tried more things, but obviously it was needed. But, again, I'll apologize if I sound like a dick.

If I'm still unclear I'll be more than happy to continue elaborating.
Yeah no hard feelings lol

But for it to become workable will take quiet a while, and a lot of pain from Lloyl, I mean he is putting his hands above flame basically and the heat will cause a burn rather quickly. Of course I do understand now a little better what you're trying to say, but of course with blacksmiths they keep a rather safe distance and use tools while heating the metal, as well as beat it down after being heated extensively in a concentrated area. The two situations are very different, but I have a better understanding of it yeah.

Yeah no hard feelings lol

But for it to become workable will take quiet a while, and a lot of pain from Lloyl, I mean he is putting his hands above flame basically and the heat will cause a burn rather quickly. Of course I do understand now a little better what you're trying to say, but of course with blacksmiths they keep a rather safe distance and use tools while heating the metal, as well as beat it down after being heated extensively in a concentrated area. The two situations are very different, but I have a better understanding of it yeah.

Yes but see we don't have tools to work (so I was using blacksmiths as clarification ad to why he is doing what he is) with and Lloyl is just trying SOMETHING. And I mean, he's not above removing his hands when it gets to hot and replacing them closer to the fire after a while. Which may not be the best plan in the world, but he can't think of anything else to do and at this point doing something is better than doing nothing in his eyes. Trial and error is what I'm trying to start up since obviously this escape can't be a one person plan.

Reactions: Wizzy The Wizard
A Final Word

Ultimately; it doesn't matter how hot iron melts or things like that. The chemistry and numbers ; don't matter. This is a realistic world, but its a world in which magic exists. I will say that heat - with a little bit of singed flesh and a magic word - could whip the campfire to the point where the iron could be workable. It will take some time, and it will hurt; but magic's power is increased with blood. Lloyl will be potentially able to work the metal, but not without severe damage to his hand. Magic has a price. :)

Please remember that your characters don't have working knowledge of one another's plans, so advising people against things, or advocating a character do something in the OOC is largely irrelevant. Trying things is fine. Characters doing what they feel like they should be doing is far more important than the logic of it. This is a narrative, and a character-driven one at that. It's not necessarily about the practicality of their actions, so much as their indiviual understanding and logic.

So yes; it will hurt. But it might do something to. People do strange things when they're desperate - and with the pyre looming ahead of them, your character is likely feeling desperate.

I was going to make a post but I think i'll leave that for tomorrow, im pretty tired atm. Night!

Reactions: Sir Basil
Well, if you want to look at it that way, the energy for the heating would have to come from somewhere. Therefore, the surrounding area would have to cool in response. A well educated thermomagician would pump the heat from his hands into the iron along the process to prevent serious burns.

Well, if you want to look at it that way, the energy for the heating would have to come from somewhere. Therefore, the surrounding area would have to cool in response. A well educated thermomagician would pump the heat from his hands into the iron along the process to prevent serious burns.

Not without the true-name for blood. ;)

So Cadoc is going to suggest we stone the fat seekers, push the horse into the river and then eat it when it drowns.

Problems?

A genius plan. What do you intend to do with the Recreant?

A genius plan. What do you intend to do with the Recreant?

Drown the Recreant under the goddamn horse. Or strangle em with the chains. I could throw stones at them too I guess. Alternatively Cadoc will befriend them and then, like Brutus to Julias Ceaser, stab them in the back 6294 times with a dinner knife.

(I never took Roman history by the way.)

Drown the Recreant under the goddamn horse. Or strangle em with the chains. I could throw stones at them too I guess. Alternatively Cadoc will befriend them and then, like Brutus to Julias Ceaser, stab them in the back 6294 times with a dinner knife.

(I never took Roman history by the way.)

Youwere pretty close! :D though Brutus wasn't the first (actually the last) to stab Caesar and he only stabbed him once :P

I think at some point later today I'll edit the IC so that its a little more legible; and add some further explanation for the practice of magic. And as a reminder....
Whatever form your post takes, you all have until August 9th to do this first post. After the 9th, your character will officially have died in some comical manner. Or something. The 9th is the final deadline, so please don't leave things to the last minute - get ready to be immersed, and get excited about your characters and their fellow prisoners. I personally can't wait to read your posts.
I'm still waiting on posts from: @Edward , @CasketCase , and @CAS . There's no hurry; you have until the 9th. But, I'd love to get as many posts in as possible, so that characters can get comfortable with each other (and you can get comfortable with writing your precious children ) before SOMETHING HAPPENS. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.