3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Romance, modern, comedy, post-apocalyptic, slice of life.
I can't be the only one. Who here was into vocaloids back when they were huge? (I'm talking like 2010s when Miku really started going apeshit on YT) Maybe there are people still into vocaloid now? I don't listen to it as much, but I still like to listen to utaites like Ado, Mafumafu, Soraru and Reol :D Though I guess the new utaites are more the VTuber singers (which I'm not too fond of I guess, but maybe I'm just being old LMAO)

Anyway. This is a niche topic, but please talk to me about it LMAOOO I'd love to hear from y'all!

Bonus question: What was your fav vocaloid back in the day?

Mine was Luka :D Mostly because of her design but I liked her voice too. Nowadays, vocaloids are much better, so the voices actually do matter to me, haha. My favourite is KAFU now! She's probably the most lifelike vocaloid I've ever heard in my life.

I listened to Vocaloid a ton when I was 11-13, although I don't listen to them anymore except for A Crow's Trial that I have saved to my playlist because of another niche topic and The Evillious Chronicles because that story is eternally a banger. I think in terms of design, I've always liked Gumi.

yes!!! early teens vocaloid was my bread and butter. I dont listen to it nearly as much as I used to either, so im not at all up to date with producers or songs, but every once in a while i will listen to a couple of old favourites or put on one of those "vocaloid songs i listen to when i draw" type of playlist videos on youtube!
I used to almost exclusively listened to Miku, Gumi and Ia-- and I still do ngl. I was also really into Utau for a while, so i listened to a lot of random utau covers.

Here's my Vocaloid nostalgia playlist, though, i decided to skip all the fear garden, alice human sacrifice type songs-- im not as edgy as a once was haha

• Ah Seen It
Reactions: PavellumPendulum
yes!!! early teens vocaloid was my bread and butter. I dont listen to it nearly as much as I used to either, so im not at all up to date with producers or songs, but every once in a while i will listen to a couple of old favourites or put on one of those "vocaloid songs i listen to when i draw" type of playlist videos on youtube!
I used to almost exclusively listened to Miku, Gumi and Ia-- and I still do ngl. I was also really into Utau for a while, so i listened to a lot of random utau covers.

Here's my Vocaloid nostalgia playlist, though, i decided to skip all the fear garden, alice human sacrifice type songs-- im not as edgy as a once was haha

Oh yessss, you've got tons of classics on that. Matryoshka, 1925, Crime and Punishment 👀
I think the only one on there that I don't know by heart is Monochroact :OOO

Oh goodness that takes me back. Not only did I listen to vocaloids but also covers of those songs. This hits me just a little bit lol

My favorite Vocaloid, though probably non-canon, is Delay Lama.

In earnest though, my true favorite is Calne Ca, and it was the basis for one of the characters in an RP I was in. @Tone 6th knows what I'm talking about :)

(see Bacterial Contamination as a great example on youtube.)

Last edited:
I can't believe I missed this thread before, but yes, from the early age of 9-10? My obsession with Vocaloids and Utaites (as well as English speaking Utaites) began. My favorite part of the community was the songs that became a series and really lifted off songwriters and singers who then took over from the program and started doing their own things. I am still in love with Jin's Kagerou Project that lifted off the ground as well as Honey work's Confession Rehearsal Committee. I legit cried when I looked back this year and found out all my favorite couples settled down from the series.

I used to memorize so many of the songs in English from JubyPhonics, Lizz, Ashe, and Mikutan. I was really big into the English cover community of Utaites. They did a lot to translate so much of the songs so that non-Japanese speakers could understand! So they always have a dead place in my heart. And ofc I was a hardcore Mafumafu listener lol. The video game meme came from his song with Sora, Ura, and Saka.

Omg I had a girl crush on Neko96 then too lol

Anyway, I don't listen to them as much anymore but I still have them mixed into my playlist. I still enjoy a lot of their songs.

My favorite Vocaloid at the time was Luka. I loved her songs and her character design a lot. But overall whose songs a like the most is hard to say but it's between Miku-Ren-Gumi. Those three usually have the best songs I swear to God.

Does anyone remember Butterfly on Your Right Shoulder? It was a song sang by Len and it is really considered the cursed song of the Vocaloid community and I can see why when you really pay attention to the story and lyrics 😂

Ugh

Uuuuuuggggggghhhhhhh

I cannot furking stand Vocaloids. At least, not the ones we might consider to be the most famous or iconic. I've seen so much of Miku and the Kagamine's that I would be happy if their faces were never seen on the face of the earth again. But...

BUT.

Way back when, there was a song called Black Rock Shooter made with Miku that turned into an OVA and then into a handful of anime series and spin-off games. I STILL love that OVA. Forget everything else. And the song slaps despite Miku.

With that said, I do like SeeU and Yan He, both for voice and overall character design. Stardust has a pretty design, but I haven't listened to any songs. My fave Utaite is 96Neko.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I got into Vocaloid back in '11 or '12. I'm not sure exactly when but I did Smule karaoke when V3 was being announced. I was 10-12 ish at the time. Been hooked on it ever since and it's actually helped me through several rough patches.

For favorites I don't think I could narrow it down. Rin and Len will forever have a place in my heart. Fukase, Piko, Lapis, and Mayu are also favoritea for me. It's hard to find good covers of Piko and Mayu though. I think their popularity dropped once the next gen came out

The 96Neko love in this thread got me feeling some kinda way. Very much deserved on her part 😭💕

Time to go binge her covers again--

The 96Neko love in this thread got me feeling some kinda way. Very much deserved on her part 😭💕

Time to go binge her covers again--
Oh I wasn't even thinking about Utaites! 96neko was one of my first and my first favorite. Mafumafu and Soraru are new favorites but Hanatan was also one of my first

Also Kizuna Ai and Kiichan if we're talking Vtubers

I DID A SCHOOL PROJECT IN HIGH SCHOOL FOR OUR FINAL MUSIC PROJECT WHERE I DID A TRANSLATION OF A VOCALOID SONG INTO SWEDISH. 8D

I was very obsessed at the time, mostly with Rin and Ren songs, but I also liked kaito and the red headed girl. I wasn't a fan of miku.

Oh man. Back when I was in high school, Vocaloid was just starting to be a thing and I hyper-fixated hard. I was obsessed. I liked Rin and Len, but my absoute favourite was (and still is, honestly) Luka. I liked Miku fine, but I didn't understand the hype behind her specifically

Nowadays, I don't listen to Vocaloid songs all that much, but I still find myself drifting to old favourites from time to time - the Seven Deadly Sin series, which is part of The Evillious Chronicles, stands out. The Tailor of Enbizaka lives in my head rent-free even all these years later.