DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
It varies a lot depending on my schedule, unfortunately.
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Psychological horror
Body horror
Supernatural
Giallo
Splatterpunk
Dark fantasy
Historical
Low fantasy
Magipunk
Weird West
Noir
Thriller
Gothic horror
Southern Gothic
Gaslamp fantasy
Cyberpunk
Space saga
Clockpunk
Space Western
Space opera
Paranormal
Modern fantasy
Dieselpunk
Post-Apocalyptic
Crime drama
Medieval fantasy
This thread is intended to help you expand your vocabulary and learn new words to enrich your writing! A writer with a limited vocabulary will become repetitive and cannot be as precise in their narrative, so taking the time to discover unfamiliar words (or brush up on forgotten ones) is imperative.

A word and its definition will be posted every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday when I can get around to it. Let's vocab!

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Diana
The Word of the Day is...

loquacious
Ozzie's Pronunciation: "Low-kway-shus"
adjective

Merriam-Webster said:
1: full of excessive talk : wordy
2: given to fluent or excessive talk : garrulous
lo·qua·cious·ly adverb
lo·qua·cious·ness noun

Ozzie's Example Usage: She was quite loquacious as they stood in line together for coffee, hardly pausing to draw breath between telling him about one topic and the next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buttercorn
Word used in a sentence: Ms. Wrong was loquacious when explaining how she does not like Ozzie throwing books at her!

Reactions: Astaroth
hey Ozzie I love this thread could you maybe use a type font that has L's loking like the standard capital L shape so they aren't as easily confused with I's ?

Sure thing, Zori. Is that better?

yes ma'am Now just capitalize the first letter of the word next time (( no need to edit it now) thank you SO MUCH I appropriate it!.

The Word of the Day is...

scintillate
Ozzie's Pronunciation: "Sin-til-ate"
verb

Merriam-Webster said:
1: to emit sparks : spark
2: to emit quick flashes as if throwing off sparks : sparkle <stars scintillate in the sky>
scin·til·lat·ed
scin·til·lat·ing
scin·til·la·tor noun

Ozzie's Example Usage: Every strike of the hammer on the super-heated metal caused it to scintillate, and the blacksmith was thankful for the thick gloves that he wore as guard against the resulting sparks.

Reactions: Buttercorn
scintillate in a sentence: Ms. Wrong wanted to scintillate a fire to the word of the day with a passion.

Zorilla's use: The vampire scintillated in the sunlight. His radiant glory coming to a quick and painful end as the rapid critics mauled him, breaking him into tiny scintillating giblets scattering him to all corners of the earth never to be seen again.

The Alternate Word Meaning of the Day is...

skirt
verb

Merriam-Webster said:
1: to form or run along the border or edge of : border
2a: to provide a skirt for
2b: to furnish a border or shield for
3a: to go or pass around or about; specifically : to go around or keep away from in order to avoid danger or discovery
3b: to avoid especially because of difficulty or fear of controversy <skirted the issue>
3c: to evade or miss by a narrow margin <having skirted disaster — Edith Wharton>
skirt·ed
skirt·ing
skirt·er noun

Ozzie's Example Usage: The pathway skirts the wall on the far side of the complex so closely that one only need reach out a hand to touch the ivy-covered stone barrier.

Skirt in a sentence: Wrong skirted across the alley wall to avoid getting her new skirt dirty from a large puddle.

Reactions: Astaroth